Sub(s?) for 5.1 with all five P362's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering which sub to get for a new setup in my 20x13 living room, about 3000 cubic feet. I plan to use five P362's as the front, center and surrounds in a 5.1 home theater.

I've been considering the BIC Acoustech H-100 (PA-120) Subwoofer, but was wondering what you thought about using two smaller 8" subs, like the Energy ESW-8. I wanted to spend no more than $350 on the sub.

What are the pro's and con's of a smaller dual sub setup?
Has anyone tried this especially with P362's before? Or similar?

Thanks! Merry New Year!!!

I'll let you know when to stop...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

For $350, the best you can get would be the eD A2-300. 3000 cubic feet is a pretty big space to fill.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since you'll be using all towers, your mid bass will be covered down to 50hz. Look for a sub capable of playback down to 20hz or so and cross low in your AVR, try 60hz first, then work downwards to find the best blend. You do have a large space so at some point, 2 subs or more will be needed but usually small driver subs don't go that low and the ones that do are at a cost. Ported subs with larger drivers are the most cost efficient option. One of the Elemental Designs would be a cost effective start, two would be better.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Slightly more accurate measurements and verified math:
2,340 cubic feet

Thanks for the frequency and crossover tips...I need to be reminded of the basics. It's so easy to get sidetracked in this process.

IT'S ABOUT THE BASS

I appreciate your help.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Since you'll be using all towers, your mid bass will be covered down to 50hz. Look for a sub capable of playback down to 20hz or so and cross low in your AVR, try 60hz first, then work downwards to find the best blend. You do have a large space so at some point, 2 subs or more will be needed but usually small driver subs don't go that low and the ones that do are at a cost. Ported subs with larger drivers are the most cost efficient option. One of the Elemental Designs would be a cost effective start, two would be better.

Is there a rule of thumb to indicate the relationship between cubic footage of a room and wattage of subwoofer, or maybe driver size?

Off to get my first SPL meter...

post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I went with the Elemental Designs A2-300.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM

So how is your Elemental Designs A2-300? Is it filling the room and giving a thumping experience?

Dev
Fairfax VA
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

I hope it will...However, Elemental Designs builds to order, and I just ordered it last night. The lead time for the Subwoofer from ED is about 30 days, so I have some time to wait still.

I got an email this morning saying the cabinet is "Awaiting Woodshop" which makes me feel like it is just before 4th period in my sophomore year again.

Anyway, I can't wait. This home theater is my first and is the culmination of 4 years of research, saving, re-researching, more saving and finally negotiations with the wife to reorganize the living room.

Good times! I am sad that it is almost over...

OR IS IT?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page