ULTRA cheap sub? $100-180? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wondering if there is a very inexpensive subwoofer out there that isn't complete crap. I just completed building a 2/0 system for my parents and it needs a sub, but they don't have much of a budget; I recommended the Acculine A-sub but $230 is too much for them. I know I can get a HTIB or computer-type sub for well under $100, but that will be underperforming compared to the FR drivers. Are there any "in-betweens" in the $100-180 range that would suffice for:

--Home theater: FM radio, computer streaming, and DVD
--Approx 12x14 room
--Don't need excessive bass, but the FR's are crossed at 110 so the sub should be able to fill in the 50-120Hz range adequately. Doesn't need to shake the room, in other words.
--Appearance and subwoofer size are not a concern.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Yamaha YST-SW216 for $80 new is surprisingly good.
post #3 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The Velodyne VX-10 is a small, decent performing sub in the ~$150-175 range. It sounds surprisingly good considering its low price. Since you aren't looking to shake the room, I think the VX-10 is a sub to consider.
post #4 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

The Velodyne VX-10 is a small, decent performing sub in the ~$150-175 range. It sounds surprisingly good considering its low price. Since you aren't looking to shake the room, I think the VX-10 is a sub to consider.

Ditto.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Energy ESW-10. http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...w-10-overview/

400watts peak. Goes down to 28Hz (-3db). About $150 at various places.

ASW-10 from The Speaker Company is a clone of this one.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #6 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner View Post

Energy ESW-10. http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...w-10-overview/

400watts peak. Goes down to 28Hz (-3db). About $150 at various places.

ASW-10 from The Speaker Company is a clone of this one.

where can I get it? I am also looking at replacing my KLH with something more decent for a 11x16 theatre room. Between this and the Velodyne, which one is prefer. I have seen the Velodyne for around 150.
post #7 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen View Post

where can I get it? I am also looking at replacing my KLH with something more decent for a 11x16 theatre room. Between this and the Velodyne, which one is prefer. I have seen the Velodyne for around 150.

Amazon. Audio Advisor.

For around $100, the ESW-8 provides response to 33Hz and 200 watts peak. The Speaker Company equivalent is ASW-8.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #8 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
save another 50 bucks and you can get a PA-120 (Bic H-100)

well worth it IMO

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #9 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
check out used on eBay

post #10 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agreed...love my little VX10.
post #11 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #12 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 PM

The Speaker Company http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P62C17.aspx And If You Do Not Like It You can send it Back.
post #13 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallobravo View Post

The Speaker Company http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P62C17.aspx And If You Do Not Like It You can send it Back.

Look at the specifications, they can't even get the weight right!

Even so, just get one and if you don't like it you can send it back.

Also, you can't tell if it has one port or two.

These people need to get their act together.
post #14 of 60 Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 PM

i am in the market for the same price sub. What is the big difference between the energy and the tSC sub? I see that the energy is a 400 watt amp but the tSC has the bash amp. Is there a big difference between these 2? Also if i could get a polk psw110 for the same price is that a better choice? how does the velodyne compare to the energy?

which one would be better for music?
post #15 of 60 Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones0404 View Post

i am in the market for the same price sub. What is the big difference between the energy and the tSC sub? I see that the energy is a 400 watt amp but the tSC has the bash amp. Is there a big difference between these 2? Also if i could get a polk psw110 for the same price is that a better choice? how does the velodyne compare to the energy?

which one would be better for music?

Everything is the same with the two subs. The ASW just does not have the ribs on the surround of the woofer and the aesthetics are slightly different. It's the same amp though but the specs are mis-leading. If you look very closely in how they word things you will see they are the same subs.

TSC is a reputable company selling quality products. There website needs a little work though.

I would stay far away from the low end Polk subs. The ASW is a great music and movies sub. When set up properly it's a damn good sub for the asking price.
post #16 of 60 Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 AM

I really appreciate the informations. I am almost ready to order it. I am going to go out and audition some more this weekend and will probable make my decision next week. I will come back and post my thoughts when i decide.
post #17 of 60 Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Which would you guys say is better the vx-10, the esw-10, or the sub-120 for movies and games?

PSN: okfireman
XBL: okfireman38
post #18 of 60 Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones0404 View Post

I really appreciate the informations. I am almost ready to order it. I am going to go out and audition some more this weekend and will probable make my decision next week. I will come back and post my thoughts when i decide.

Auditioning subs is a waste of time. The performance of a sub is directly linked to the volume of the room and placement. Understanding and comparing specs would be far more usefull.
post #19 of 60 Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman View Post

Which would you guys say is better the vx-10, the esw-10, or the sub-120 for movies and games?

The Sub120 has the lowest extension of the three and the larger 12" driver. The Energy has higher rated amplifier power but without knowing the drivers specs, it's a pretty useless spec to determine output. The Energy plays almost as low. Both of these are superior to the Velo in both LFE and output. Partsexpress also has excellent customer support so if you weigh all three, the edge goes the the Sub120 IMO with the Energy a very close second ( i hate the look of that front port !!!)
post #20 of 60 Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

The Sub120 has the lowest extension of the three and the larger 12" driver. The Energy has higher rated amplifier power but without knowing the drivers specs, it's a pretty useless spec to determine output. The Energy plays almost as low. Both of these are superior to the Velo in both LFE and output. Partsexpress also has excellent customer support so if you weigh all three, the edge goes the the Sub120 IMO with the Energy a very close second ( i hate the look of that front port !!!)

Is there anything better in this price range and is it worth it in a budget system to try and save up and upgrade to the pa-120?

post #21 of 60 Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there anything better in this price range and is it worth it in a budget system to try and save up and upgrade to the pa-120?

That depends on the intended purpose. If casual HT/Movies is your thing, then No... either the Energy or Dayton subs and a few others in that range will bet the job Done. If critical music is the primary source, then neither of those will do. If this is the building block of a dedicated HT room or a Hobby, then wait until the funds are available for a non disposable Sub that can be used as the foundation of a great system. Expect about $500 as the bare minimum for such a sub with the most common commercial units as high as $1500. In the DIY section, you'll find guys like me that love movies and HT, but don't have the $$$ to spend to match, so we use our Blue Collar skills to build our own. In that realm, $500 can rival the performance or $1500 commercially no problem. We've got a few Bass-Heads over there as well (me included) that spend big $$$ for rediculous LF output. Sometimes i think we're overcompensating for somethng else but Hey, it floats my boat! LOL
post #22 of 60 Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That depends on the intended purpose. If casual HT/Movies is your thing, then No... either the Energy or Dayton subs and a few others in that range will bet the job Done. If critical music is the primary source, then neither of those will do. If this is the building block of a dedicated HT room or a Hobby, then wait until the funds are available for a non disposable Sub that can be used as the foundation of a great system. Expect about $500 as the bare minimum for such a sub with the most common commercial units as high as $1500. In the DIY section, you'll find guys like me that love movies and HT, but don't have the $$$ to spend to match, so we use our Blue Collar skills to build our own. In that realm, $500 can rival the performance or $1500 commercially no problem. We've got a few Bass-Heads over there as well (me included) that spend big $$$ for rediculous LF output. Sometimes i think we're overcompensating for somethng else but Hey, it floats my boat! LOL

Thanks for the info. I dont listen to much music and wouldnt need it for that. It will be used for movies and games. I dont need a huge system but enjoy a good home theater experience and am trying to do it right but funds are an isssue since I am still in college. I am intriged by the idea of building one myself to get a better sub. I am good with tools and am a pretty good handyman so I imagine it wouldnt be to much of a problem for me. Where would I go about getting the supplies and learning about what I need to do?

post #23 of 60 Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

Lurk around here for awhile. Just be carefull not to catch the 'BUG'

The nice thing about a project like this is you pay as you go.
Build the enclosure-spend a few $ on materials
Buy the Driver
Buy the Amp
CustomFinish the enclosure to match your interior . $5-600 is alot at once, spread it out over 6 months during the build, not so much.
post #24 of 60 Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

Lurk around here for awhile. Just be carefull not to catch the 'BUG'

The nice thing about a project like this is you pay as you go.
Build the enclosure-spend a few $ on materials
Buy the Driver
Buy the Amp
CustomFinish the enclosure to match your interior . $5-600 is alot at once, spread it out over 6 months during the build, not so much.

How much work would this take. I am now second guessing this since I am starting up school next semester and dont know how much time I will have. Are there any other suggestions in this range or any more insight on the subs I listed?

post #25 of 60 Old 01-12-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have anything in mind in that pricepoint but i'm sure there's a couple more capable subs.

As for the time, you could buy ready made enclosures and cut the openings for the drivers and amps. On the DIY forum, there's plent of proven designs that'll save you the design time as well. Take a look at partsexpress.com for the enclosures. They're very well built using the proper materials and construction techniques. You won't find this kind of construction in sub $200 subs. Also look at the design showcase on the site. Quite a few sub designs there as well.
post #26 of 60 Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Look at the specifications, they can't even get the weight right!

Even so, just get one and if you don't like it you can send it back.

Also, you can't tell if it has one port or two.

These people need to get their act together.

If You Read owner reviews, They Have No Complains for the below 200.00 dollar budget price sub. If he wants to spend a little more than he can,He can Probably buy a Bic H or a Pa 120 at 200 to 300 price range.The Proof at that price range are good reviews by owners.
post #27 of 60 Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't have anything in mind in that pricepoint but i'm sure there's a couple more capable subs.

As for the time, you could buy ready made enclosures and cut the openings for the drivers and amps. On the DIY forum, there's plent of proven designs that'll save you the design time as well. Take a look at partsexpress.com for the enclosures. They're very well built using the proper materials and construction techniques. You won't find this kind of construction in sub $200 subs. Also look at the design showcase on the site. Quite a few sub designs there as well.

I have looked at the master list of designs and had already looked at the enclosers but just not sure which I would pick if I was to do it myself. Do you have any of the designs that you would recommend. I dont want one of the gigantic subs and my room is small, 11 x 13, so it doesnt need to be huge. I had also looked into the premade inclosures from parts express already and wasnt sure. I have made a sub enclosure before for a truck sub so I am not a complete noob, but am a complete noob to home theater subs.

post #28 of 60 Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM

So far my choices are now limited to 3, the tSc, Daytona 12 and the PA-120. The cost of the Daytona and the PA-120 are similar in cost once shipping is factored in on the Daytona.

After watching another movie yesterday at the 'real' theatre, I do notice the bass I am missing from my setup. It's very clean and not very boomy. It's also not very loud, just good bass. That's pretty much what I am hoping for my next sub purchase. Again, it's 100% movie use only in my theatre. And no, I don't want to build my own or spend the extra for a SVS or HSU... Just trying to get better bass and from the review, either of the 3 above should work for me. Now is just a matter which one works better.

BTW, which one of these will get me closer to hearing the nice effect mention in other thread regarding the end of Kung Fu panda. Its when Poo touch Tiger...
post #29 of 60 Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Nice theater.

post #30 of 60 Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Nice theater.

thx.

It's complete for now until kids grow up more. That's why the only thing that bothers me a little here and there is the KLH sub that I current have. Really leaning more toward the PA-120, cost a bit more and seems to be worth it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page