new SVS sealed Plus and Ultra subs in the pipeline! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 311 Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SVS is designing new sealed subs to accompany their very lonely SB12 Plus.

There will be a bigger Plus version and a new sealed Ultra!

basically, the new Plus is a 13"er with finishes the same as the new PB12 Plus.

1000w with DSP

the new sealed Ultra will be a 16"er also with a 1000w amp and DSP. finishes will be the same as the current PB13 Ultra (but i'm not sure if textured black is available - it should IMO)

i managed to get pics of the sealed 15" Ultra prototype, please note, nothing is final on this prototype. they're gonna hide the DSP display on the front face, and it would have finishes same as the ultra and not the plus like this one. the cone material would be the same as the ported ultra and plus drivers. and the final ultra version will be 16".

edit: added Ed M quote for more accurate info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

SB13-Plus:

- 1000W DSP with front-mounted bezel/display
- wireless connectivity
- 13.5" woofer with an overhung VC/motor (the Ultra 13.5" woofer is underhung)
- cube shaped with 16-17" outer dims
- side accent panels like the M-series and the PB12-Plus
- magnetically retained metal grille like the PB12-Plus and PB13-Ultra

SB16-Ultra:

- 1000W DSP with front-mounted bezel/display
- wireless connectivity
- 16.5" woofer with an underhung VC and radial neodymium motor
- cube shaped with 19-20" outer dims
- all veneer or gloss finishes like the PB13-Ultra
- magnetically retained metal grille like the PB13-Ultra

The DSP essentially replaces the analog controls, and does not necessarily imply an auto-EQ solution. While auto-EQ certainly exists on some of the DSP chipsets we're using, it almost assuredly won't be on the Plus model, but it may be an extra-cost option on the Ultra model.

While the auto-EQ is quite powerful (multi-band with multi-position algorithms and much better than the typical single band solutions floating around), it still doesn't have the processing power of the AS-EQ1, which will remain the optimal external EQ solution in any event.

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 311 Old 01-11-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SVS is also coming out with new speakers to add to their S and M series

M on-wall / in-wall speaker based on the MBS model

S on-wall / in-wall speaker based on the SCS model

again, these are prototypes and i'm not even sure if i can post these pics ... but these are basically targetted for those with WAF problems. they're making these with with plenty of artwork and frame options.

unfortunately, i forgot to take pics of the M surround they have in the pipeline.

S tower!

Mike C
MKC International
post #3 of 311 Old 01-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
What is happening with the LTS series of speakers?

To improve the black level performance of your projector: Shine bright light into your eyes every 5 minutes.
post #4 of 311 Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 PM

Liked: 10
hmm.. I am about to purchase a PB13 Ultra, should I wait and see whats coming out??
post #5 of 311 Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

oh, and i'm a dumbass. i forgot to take a pic of the AS-EQ1. i was probably starstruck being surrounded by Ed Mullen and Stephen Ponte! i overloaded my brain listening and trying to learn from these guys.

i was able to see how the AS-EQ1 works. let me just say i will be getting one as soon as it's available (and i have two SMS-1's)

Mike C
MKC International
post #6 of 311 Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL86 View Post

What is happening with the LTS series of speakers?

i have no news about the LTS series. sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshane View Post

hmm.. I am about to purchase a PB13 Ultra, should I wait and see whats coming out??

if you can fit the ported Ultra, go for it. the new sealed ultra was designed to beat other sealed subs for the same size restriction. this new sealed sub should be around 19-20" on all sides.

Mike C
MKC International
post #7 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

SVS is designing new sealed subs to accompany their very lonely SB12 Plus.

There will be a bigger Plus version and a new sealed Ultra!

basically, the new Plus is a 13"er with finishes the same as the new PB12 Plus.

1000w with DSP

the new sealed Ultra will be a 16"er also with a 1000w amp and DSP. finishes will be the same as the current PB13 Ultra (but i'm not sure if textured black is available - it should IMO)

i managed to get pics of the sealed 15" Ultra prototype, please note, nothing is final on this prototype. they're gonna hide the DSP display on the front face, and it would have finishes same as the ultra and not the plus like this one. the cone material would be the same as the ported ultra and plus drivers. and the final ultra version will be 16".

Thanks for the heads up, and the photos.

I guess the box size for the 13 inch Plus will be a good bit larger than the box on the SB-12 Plus.

The real new contender is the new sealed 16 inch Ultra.

Competition among commercial sealed subs is really heating up.

I don't know how SVS intends to use the DSP, however, some form of room EQ would be really heapful. (Not like some that have different settings for different types of material).

I wonder how much the DSP is going to add to the cost? It's a little strange that SVS is about to release their Audyssey unit and at the same time is adding DSP to these rather upscale new subwoofers.
post #8 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Thanks for the heads up, and the photos.

I guess the box size for the 13 inch Plus will be a good bit larger than the box on the SB-12 Plus.

The real new contender is the new sealed 16 inch Ultra.

Competition among commercial sealed subs is really heating up.

I don't know how SVS intends to use the DSP, however, some form of room EQ would be really heapful. (Not like some that have different settings for different types of material).

I wonder how much the DSP is going to add to the cost? It's a little strange that SVS is about to release their Audyssey unit and at the same time is adding DSP to these rather upscale new subwoofers.

i don't really know what the DSP does. but i did notice that they eliminated all analog controls at the back of the amp - saying it was the weak link in the amp chain. i'm pretty sure the DSP would not be redundant with the new AS-EQ1 - maybe it would be similar to the SB12 options only in digital. -> don't quote me on that, i did not hear that from them - i'm just guessing.

if i'm not mistaken, i believe there will also be a remote for that DSP. and that the new 13 will be competing with another famous ID sealed sub and the ultra 16 will be unchallenged for it's size (by any other sealed sub)

the 13 box should be around 16" on all sides. -> not set in stone.

Mike C
MKC International
post #9 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 AM

I know this is a question you won't be able to answer but would you know what kind of price range the SB16 Ultra would be around?? Think it will be around the Ultra13 price tag or quite a bit more?? I can see the digital display and driver costing more but the cabinent would be cheaper to produce. Any word on when this would be available to buy??
post #10 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshane View Post

I know this is a question you won't be able to answer but would you know what kind of price range the SB16 Ultra would be around?? Think it will be around the Ultra13 price tag or quite a bit more?? I can see the digital display and driver costing more but the cabinent would be cheaper to produce. Any word on when this would be available to buy??

the price and availability is TBA - i can't quote anyone really. sorry.

but i would guess the new one to be more expensive they are still in the prototype stage. plus the fact the pb13 would still be the better sub.

Mike C
MKC International
post #11 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 AM

Ok thanks for bringing us this info.

I just started getting into building my system and only heard of ID subs about a month ago or so. How long does it usually take from prototype stage to actually getting the product??

why do you say the PB13 Ultra would still be the better sub?

Black Oak with a blue digital display to match my klipsch speakers would be perfect!! Its what I wanted from klipsch in the first place but they didn't bring it like SVS can
post #12 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

at the very least, many months

well, the PB13 Ultra is a ported subwoofer and the new SB16 Ultra is a sealed sub, subwoofer performance is really about physics ... you can't beat box size and efficiency.

Mike C
MKC International
post #13 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Fantastic info, Mike. Unfortunately I doubt these products will be ready for quite a while. The 13Ultra was announced about two years ago around this time of the year along with specs and photos, but didn't make it out until August later that year.
post #14 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

at the very least, many months

well, the PB13 Ultra is a ported subwoofer and the new SB16 Ultra is a sealed sub, subwoofer performance is really about physics ... you can't beat box size and efficiency.

Maybe in a football stadium, but I would take the 16 inch sealed (assuming SVS quality remains high as usual) over the 13 inch ported any day of the week for HT. You can't beat sealed sound Quality, tightness and precision!
post #15 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Fantastic info, Mike. Unfortunately I doubt these products will be ready for quite a while. The 13Ultra was announced about two years ago around this time of the year along with specs and photos, but didn't make it out until August later that year.

yeah, i'm not in a hurry though, sealed might not really be for me.
i should probably go for a few more ultras ... oak and the cylinder are looking might attractive right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.night View Post

Maybe in a football stadium, but I would take the 16 inch sealed (assuming SVS quality remains high as usual) over the 13 inch ported any day of the week for HT. You can't beat sealed sound Quality, tightness and precision!

true, if that's your requirement. but me for example, the ported 13 will still be better than the sealed in terms of SPL above it's tuning point. (i only have a 4k sealed room).

granted, the new 16 will probably be louder in the upper frequencies. (that's what duals and quads are for)

Mike C
MKC International
post #16 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing we can count on is that SVS unlike some of it's competitors who currently make 15" sealed subs, will not try to avoid independent 3rd party testers like Craigsub.
post #17 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, this caught me totally off-guard.

I've been debating the pb13u and the hsu uls-15.

Now we have another contender the sb16 ultra. I guess it's unclear wether the new SVS sealed offerings will have wireless technology ( which is a large bomus for the uls-15) but they apparently do have remote contorlls which is a large plus for them.

I'm wondering what the new sealed ultra will weigh? If it's under/around 100lbs that would be great.

Not to mention, those new picture frame looking speakers have the most WAF I have ever seen in a speaker.
post #18 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Wow, this caught me totally off-guard.

I've been debating the pb13u and the hsu uls-15.

Now we have another contender the sb13 ultra. I guess it's unclear wether the new SVS sealed offerings will have wireless technology ( which is a large bomus for the uls-15) but they apparently do have remote contorlls which is a large plus for them.

I'm wondering what the new sealed ultra will weigh? If it's under/around 100lbs that would be great.

Not to mention, those new picture frame looking speakers have the most WAF I have ever seen in a speaker.

the new 13 should be lighter than a 100lbs. the 16 will most probably exceed 100 lbs. (hearing what the driver is gonna be made of) this is gonna be a flagship driver.

that said, like mojomike said, there are no definite release dates - and could be many months from now. unless you can wait that many months, you should decide soon.

Mike C
MKC International
post #19 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One thing we can count on is that SVS unlike some of it's competitors who currently make 15" sealed subs, will not try to avoid independent 3rd party testers like Craigsub.

i've owned several subs - 1 craigsub tested, 2 non craigsub tested

i prefer the 2 that was not tested by him than the one that is on top of his list
post #20 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the new 13 should be lighter than a 100lbs. the 16 will most probably exceed 100 lbs. (hearing what the driver is gonna be made of) this is gonna be a flagship driver.

that said, like mojomike said, there are no definite release dates - and could be many months from now. unless you can wait that many months, you should decide soon.

Yeah, I don't think I will be able to wait that long...as soon as i get my tax refund I will be buying a sub.

I'm thinking the uls-15 will be the correct combanation of size, weight, features, and output for my very WAF sensitive townhouse HT.
post #21 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowcarIX View Post

i've owned several subs - 1 craigsub tested, 2 non craigsub tested

i prefer the 2 that was not tested by him than the one that is on top of his list

Of course, YMMV. I like in particular seeing some of the outdoor GP measurements from Illka, AVTalk, as well as Craig. I've found that if you know your room acoustics very well, you can have a pretty good idea of how a sub will perform in it based on some of those numbers.
post #22 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, YMMV. I like in particular seeing some of the outdoor GP measurements from Illka, AVTalk, as well as Craig. I've found that if you know your room acoustics very well, you can have a pretty good idea of how a sub will perform in it based on some of those numbers.

i agree. the 3rd party ground plane tests have been pretty reliable in explaining to me what i experience in actual usage.

Mike C
MKC International
post #23 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sure, graphs/#s are nice to look at BUT they dont tell you how the sub will sound other than being able to play loud

when you buy your car - do you read the review and just buy one w/o test drive? i dont - review dont tell me braking/steering response and the overall feel and only i know what i am looing for.
post #24 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sure, graphs/#s are nice to look at BUT they dont tell you how the sub will sound other than being able to play loud

when you buy your car - do you read the review and just buy one w/o test drive? i dont - review dont tell me braking/steering response and the overall feel and only i know what i am looing for.

The difference in the sub/car analogy is that nowadays, most of the best subs are available through internet-only purchases. It's not as easy as going to your local car dealer for a test drive. Also, subs are not really that complicated. With a set of some really complete data like Ilkka used to put together, I can tell almost everything. For example, a test such as this has a whole lot more info than just "how loud".

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-tune-new.html
post #25 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

i don't really know what the DSP does. but i did notice that they eliminated all analog controls at the back of the amp - saying it was the weak link in the amp chain. i'm pretty sure the DSP would not be redundant with the new AS-EQ1 - maybe it would be similar to the SB12 options only in digital. -> don't quote me on that, i did not hear that from them - i'm just guessing.

if i'm not mistaken, i believe there will also be a remote for that DSP. and that the new 13 will be competing with another famous ID sealed sub and the ultra 16 will be unchallenged for it's size (by any other sealed sub)

the 13 box should be around 16" on all sides. -> not set in stone.

Mike,
Any word if the PB13-Ultra will be updated and receive the DSP scraping the analog adjustments?
post #26 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The difference in the sub/car analogy is that nowadays, most of the best subs are available through internet-only purchases. It's not as easy as going to your local car dealer for a test drive. Also, subs are not really that complicated. With a set of some really complete data like Ilkka used to put together, I can tell almost everything. For example, a test such as this has a whole lot more info than just "how loud".

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-tune-new.html

read your review/test then
post #27 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

read your review/test then

I can't help it. I'm a sucker for test data like that.
post #28 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

sure, graphs/#s are nice to look at BUT they don't tell you how the sub will sound other than being able to play loud

when you buy your car - do you read the review and just buy one w/o test drive? i don't - reviews don't tell me braking/steering response and the overall feel and only i know what i am looking for.

You can look at the graphs and use them to narrow down your choices. They do tell you more than max SPL levels. You can see distortion levels, transient response... When you go to buy a car, do you test drive every car available? Or do you research, find some that seem to meet your requirements, then go test drive those few. And the reviews do tell you about breaking, handling, ride.

Randy
post #29 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

lol...lucky for me, i only like a certain type of cars

also i try not to try test drive after lunch for the sake of the salesman...or i'll tell him to bring one of these along...

post #30 of 311 Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Go SVS! Those guys do rock! All around nice people too, class.

There is no substitue for REAL testing like that done at AVTalk and by Illka. It yields a very clear picture of what the sub will do for you and how it measures up to the competition on many levels. Listening is often too subjective to have any weight.

I am sure the new offerings will not be out for quite some time. These things can and often do take many months if not years to get that extra 2-3% of performance and details worked out. But, I am sure when they do become available they will be up there with the best, if not the best in their respective market.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers