post #61 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

In generally I agree that most spouses don't like it loud and boomy... but I think that comes down to how "good" it sounds and how well the room acoustics are working. There is a difference between "Loud" and proper levels. I've never had my wife say its too loud at an actual theater.. At reference level at Art's no complaints.. just smiles.. In my theater I get the "look" once in awhile.. but I'm working on it and it's getting better

I don't have WAF to worry about, but I'm a live at home college student (try finding inexpensive housing in So Cal while paying for school - good luck!) and my mom might sort of qualify. She's never stopped me from making any of my upgrades but has always rolled her eyes when I've upgraded speakers. As per usual, the subwoofer upgrades always draw the biggest "looks".

I have to totally agree with you that there's a huge difference between "loud" for the sake of being loud and "loud" when properly calibrated. She hates boomy car bass and I can't say I blame her. She'd always be worried about how loud I play things. Once I got the PJ I invited her into my room to watch Kung Fu Panda. She absolutely loved the picture and sound quality! What I didn't tell her until after the movie is that we were about -4dB from reference level. Ironically, she specifically mentioned how much she LIKED the tactile bass (Go Epik Castle!!! ). It was simply perfectly balanced and was there when it was supposed to be - not a constant overbearing rumble.

I guess the other bonus of my HT hobby is that they tend to get my old gear . The family room is starting to look more and more like my old setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrzVpr View Post

First off this is not a direct comment to hoopsrgreat and shouldnt be taken as such...

But, I, for the life of me, cannot imagine not seeing any of our house accounting i.e. being totally blind... In my case, I do all the books,bills, etc in our house. Of course, my wife is informed of what goes where and what is spent in what. We both have bugdets tracked in excel sheets.

No offense taken, but I grew up watching parents fight over money. I dont ever want to have that happen in my life. I am a teacher and my wife is second in charge of a business that did over 14 million in sales last year. She does everything from payroll, accounts payable/receivable/purchasing and on and on and on. She deals with money all day long. She is quite good at handling our finances and i dont have to worry about her going crazy spending money foolishly. i trust her, we have been together since I was 16. I also cant stand the time it takes to deal with all that stuff. So since she is good at it, and I dont like to deal with it, it is a perfect situation. When I want to spend money, I do. If I am spending more than a hundred or so, i definitely discuss it, but I will not be asking for permission.

Sorry to be off topic, but I think all of this kind of goes together. if our wives hate our HT, it makes it tough to buy the stuff we want.
post #63 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
My wife not only approves, but encouraged me on several occasions to go forward with my HT. At first, I was just going to put a large plasma TV in the basement and call it a day. She dissed my original plan and called the idea a "glorified den". We then decided to go with a projector, screen, surround sound, Blu-Ray, theater seats and so on...

We are thrilled with the results and get much use and enjoyment from the HT. We often think back on how good of a decision it was to build the HT and think of it as money well spent.
post #64 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Unfortunately, for those of us in Ca, not many houses are built with basements. I have relatives and friends in NJ and ALL of them have these big basements that I would die for. If that isnt the perfect place for a theater.
post #65 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM

First she bought me a 43" 4:3 RCA... Suprise ! (10 yrs. ago)
Then, a little bose system...Surprise !
Then a 65" Mitsy RPTV...Surprise !
Got me ALL Fios programming... Surprise ! ( HD )
Someone gave her a free Pio A/V reciever...Surprise !
She found a couple of Rat Shack mini's for surrounds
Bought me a H-100 sub for Christmas...Surprise !

Yea...she likes it
post #66 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
We were watching Batman Dark Knight, and she couldn't believe how much better it sounded in our room.

It's my cave...she has the rest of the house and my life to run...isn't that enough
post #67 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When we bought our house, we were lucky to find a detached one in our price range, but it needed lots of work. I've spent the last seven years bringing it upto scratch and I'm talking major DIY like building stud walls, dry boarding and changing some room layouts, rather than just painting.

Although I'd already got 5.1 surround and bought a small sub once we moved in, I had bigger long term plans: Last year's living room project included hiding all the speaker cables, scart leads and most importantly a 10 metre HDMI to the back of the room and an MDF 'pelmet' to hide an electric screen in. Prior to my missus getting the real Oak floor that she's always wanted (that we both laid, so it's not all me doing the DIY. ).

Once the work was done and we finally had a living room that we weren't embarassed to invite people into, I got my PJ. The room doesn't look like a theater, but we have lots of temporary black velvet (and a big rug over that wood floor ) that my missus helps me set up before a film, which gives maybe 80-90% of a batcave. She admitted that she expected the picture to be a bit blurry, but once she saw a BluRay on it she was amazed how clear the picture was, so that was complement enough really.

We always used to go to the Cinema when we first met, but with kids it had become less frequent (and expensive with babysitters prices factored in ). Now we can enjoy a glass or two of wine and pause the film if required, plus being detached we don't have to worry about neighbours. I can crank the volume if I want, but -15db on my amp is enough to get a good effect without it being too loud. It might help that between Audyssey and my BFD I've tamed any big peaks, so the sub isn't boomy, it just rumbles when it should and doesn't draw unnessasary attention to itself. In fact it's my missus that gets me to demonstrate the infamous 'Darla scene' to visitors to show them what the 'Oak lamp table' is for, so I guess I'm lucky.

I think initially it was just to indulge me after all the DIY work, but she enjoys it as much as me now.

Just to agree with earlier posters that commented a theatre is never finished, I'd agree with that one....I'm about to replace my Greywolf II screen with a 9" wider 2.35:1 tab tensioned Beamax screen. I'm sure once it's installed, my missus will also see why I've bothered with this latest upgrade, given her positive comments re the PQ, after I calibrated the greyscale using the I1 probe she bought me for Christmas.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #68 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

When we bought our house, we were lucky to find a detached one in our price range, but it needed lots of work. I've spent the last seven years bringing it upto scratch and I'm talking major DIY like building stud walls, dry boarding and changing some room layouts, rather than just painting.

Although I'd already got 5.1 surround and bought a small sub once we moved in, I had bigger long term plans: Last year's living room project included hiding all the speaker cables, scart leads and most importantly a 10 metre HDMI to the back of the room and an MDF 'pelmet' to hide an electric screen in. Prior to my missus getting the real Oak floor that she's always wanted (that we both laid, so it's not all me doing the DIY. ).

Once the work was done and we finally had a living room that we weren't embarassed to invite people into, I got my PJ. The room doesn't look like a theater, but we have lots of temporary black velvet (and a big rug over that wood floor ) that my missus helps me set up before a film, which gives maybe 80-90% of a batcave. She admitted that she expected the picture to be a bit blurry, but once she saw a BluRay on it she was amazed how clear the picture was, so that was complement enough really.

We always used to go to the Cinema when we first met, but with kids it had become less frequent (and expensive with babysitters prices factored in ). Now we can enjoy a glass or two of wine and pause the film if required, plus being detached we don't have to worry about neighbours. I can crank the volume if I want, but -15db on my amp is enough to get a good effect without it being too loud. It might help that between Audyssey and my BFD I've tamed any big peaks, so the sub isn't boomy, it just rumbles when it should and doesn't draw unnessasary attention to itself. In fact it's my missus that gets me to demonstrate the infamous 'Darla scene' to visitors to show them what the 'Oak lamp table' is for, so I guess I'm lucky.

I think initially it was just to indulge me after all the DIY work, but she enjoys it as much as me now.

Just to agree with earlier posters that commented a theatre is never finished, I'd agree with that one....I'm about to replace my Greywolf II screen with a 9" wider 2.35:1 tab tensioned Beamax screen. I'm sure once it's installed, my missus will also see why I've bothered with this latest upgrade, given her positive comments re the PQ, after I calibrated the greyscale using the I1 probe she bought me for Christmas.

I buy what I want when I want, but I do try to keep it to reasonable amounts. My wife is a stay at home mother. She does not know that I am building a new sub for the upstairs HT room. It will be cheap. I bought the driver and the two ports. All of the other material I had on hand. It is going in the small dedicated room that she told me I could do what ever I wanted to with it. This will bring the bass up to the standards of our large room. Actually I think it will exceed the standard due to such a small room.
post #69 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Well it was a deciding factor when we bought our first house together. I wanted a big HT room. It was easer because I had already owned a house first with a HT and was putting most of the money into the new house. But she alwas liked it, however she may not like it as much if she relised how much it costs. Although she supported me when I spent 16K on my two frount speakers, I could tell she didn't see the investnment like I did but she never really said no.

However, I have never had to ask for money, in fact she spends very little compaired to me. I made it very clear before we got married I would not spend what she makes and she can not say anything about me spending what I make no matter after bills of course. It has worked out so far. All I can say is I would of never gotten married if I had to live by rules I don't aggree with or have to put a holds on my hobbies it what keeps my life intresting. It's all about finding the right woman and not settleing, if I can't live my life with you I will do it without you that is my motto. Buit of course it is better together and I do need to comprmise now and then.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #70 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

My setup is in the living room, not a designated theater room. My wife appreciates it, and usually doesn't have any problem using it (thanks to a Harmony remote), but it's not anything she would have ever looked into setting up on her own. I'm not sure if she thinks it was worth all the time and $$$ or not, but she knows it makes me happy, and she has made positive comments about the surround effects and subwoofer a couple of times.

Steve

post #71 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
My wife doesn't appreciate $h!+.

Actually, i'm not married.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #72 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm in the same boat as the majority here- she thinks I'm a little crazy about all the time I spend in my room and all the tweaking, not to mention the money (but she didn't complain), but she likes the ability to entertain and to see movies on a big(ger) screen if we miss them in the theater. Also, with a little one, it almost becomes essential if you love movies.

My "media room" is the one room in the house that is mine. When looking for houses, we were looking for a basement that would provide for her "dance studio," as long as I got a room for me. It worked out great that we found one partially finished, so I could have my room built from scratch, and we just had to replace the flooring for hers. It's the quietest room in the house, despite being close to the HVAC. I just have to decide if I'm going to leave it alone with the basics (projector, 7.1, La-Z-Boy couch and PillowSac) or finish with the theme of an art gallery/museum (a minor reason for the Gallos).
post #73 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

My wife went through several phases. First, it was vehement disapproval (ANGER phase). Second, it was trying to get it to conform to the room aesthetics (DENIAL phase). Third, it was silent approval (DISGRUNTLED ACCEPTANCE phase). Finally, it was active participation (BLISSFUL LOVE phase - except when stuff flies off the shelves and walls!).
post #74 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM

My wife supports and enjoys the HT. She loves the sound and lets me crank it up as loud as I want. There are times when she is watching me, watch our movies. She sees the enjoyment I get out it and appreciates that I include her. Although, when my new SVS PB13-Ultra arrives, she might be a bit shocked at the size. She'll get over it once she experiences a good movie.

Right now the HT is in the great room. Some day when we move I will have a dedicated HT room and she will let me go hog wild. I'll take care of all the techie stuff and she'll help with the interior decorating. It will be a fun project to complete together.

HT Picture Gallery (need to update the pics to show the new sub)
Blu-Ray Collection
SVS PB13-Ultra Pictures
post #75 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 PM

The girl I've snagged is all for an awesome home theater, especially if she doesn't have to pay for it!

We'd go to the movies a ton, but I'd anticipate staying in a whole lot more!
post #76 of 123 Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Not as much as her LV bags.....

Seriously her LV bags cost more than my HT setup ... and i made more money too.... sucks for me
post #77 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MameXP View Post

Not as much as her LV bags.....

Seriously her LV bags cost more than my HT setup ... and i made more money too.... sucks for me

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but what are LV bags?
post #78 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but what are LV bags?

Louis Vuitton, designer handbags.

MameXP,

Trust me bro, I know the feeling. I barely have enough room in "our" (I use that word because I get about 1ft of space in our walk-in) closet because the rest is LV, Coach, D&B, stuff.

And they have the nerve to complain!

Sheeesh women.

Jason
post #79 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

I gave the wife her own boudoir, and now have the entire bedroom closet to myself!..

(she has one room with only her stuff in it, clothes, shoes, nicnacs....)

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #80 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 AM

At first my wife didn't seem to care really too much about the home theater bug that i have. I started out with an Onkyo HTIB setup. I just upgraded the receiver to a pioneer vsx-918. Before i got to that i had bought a sony strdg720 and yamaha 463 and returned them. She was like just make up your mind already. But after playing some video games and watching a movie she was like "WOW" i never heard those sounds before. I then upgraded thee fronts to some Insignia speakers. ANd the sound was so much cleaner. Well i just sold the rest of the onkyo HTIB speakers and just have the Insignia fronts and a velodyne vx-10 sub. I am planning a new speaker set up. She dosent even want to watch a movie now or play games because she wants the full surround sound experience now
post #81 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM

I guess my wife is typical as far as not really into it until we are watching a movie. Now I am about to redo my basement/bar/family room she has a little more to say but she is supportive and excited to see the room after we are done with the upgrades and small remodeling.
post #82 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

My wife appreciates it, and usually doesn't have any problem using it (thanks to a Harmony remote),

TAKE NOTE OF THIS QUOTE!!!!!

Many of the issues wife's don't like have to do with how hard things are to operate. Use a good universal remote and you can cure this.
post #83 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 AM

She didn't like how big the sub was when I first got it: SVS 20-39 PCi. It's tucked away in the corner though. She liked when I upgraded the speakers because I went from big Cerwin-Vega DX-7's to Aperion 532s.

It's an annoyance to her sometimes but it impresses her other times. We were watching The Bourne Ultimatum one night on HBO and she actually said "wow, that sounds awesome" when there was a scene with some shattering glass.

The receiver needs about $250 worth of repairs right now. She asked why we needed a receiver when we found out.
post #84 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
My wife loves our theater. Not only does she love the typical chick flicks , she loves big, loud action movies (actually liked Transformers), and she loves watching football, basketball, and baseball. She'll watch almost anything in HD. And having married a professional drummer (um, me), she is accustomed to higher volume levels.

She also loves fast cars, dogs, South Park, and The Three Stooges, so I consider myself very fortunate.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #85 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust View Post

Many of the issues wife's don't like have to do with how hard things are to operate. Use a good universal remote and you can cure this.

I use a good Sony touch screen universal remote. It will accept a macro on any key. I have macro's set up so that if you want to watch TV you walk into the room and press the "TV" button. It turns all of the equipment on and sets it to the correct inputs. I have DVD set up the same way, even if equipment is off you can walk in and hit "DVD" and it also will turn all of the equipment on and set to correct inputs. I used discrete codes so you do not have the problem of equipment turning off if some thing is out of sync. My system is about as simple to use as it can get.
post #86 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM

my wife enjoys our setup. she told me to get a 58" and mount our 40" in the bedroom ( she actually said to mount it!!!) if we are just watching tv she will ask to turn the surround sound on but she really doesnt like the bass. She ok'd me to get new floorstanding speakers! so i guess i am very lucky! i guess she just goes along with what i want since it makes me happy...and i try to make look clean for her!
post #87 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonlycg View Post

my wife enjoys our setup. she told me to get a 58" and mount our 40" in the bedroom ( she actually said to mount it!!!) if we are just watching tv she will ask to turn the surround sound on but she really doesnt like the bass. She ok'd me to get new floorstanding speakers! so i guess i am very lucky! i guess she just goes along with what i want since it makes me happy...and i try to make look clean for her!

Guys don't get me wrong. My wife is wonderful about the HT and will let me do what ever I want, but she just does not join in and watch very many movies. I have my two HT's, but I do a lot of things for her. In the last ten years i have:

Installed ceramic tile in two bathrooms.
Installed hard wood floors in all other rooms.
Installed new base.
Installed new trim.
Replaced all interior doors with solid core doors.
Added 750 SF family room. (2 story ceiling height)
Installed screened in porch. (slate floor, bead board walls and tongue & grove ceiling)
Laid brick on the end of our house and part of the front of our house. (About 30' high. Did this with no help.) Here is one area that I bricked: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...o/IMGP1554.jpg
Built 60' curved retaining wall.
Most all of this I did by myself. I did sub out exterior framing, drywall and roofing for the addition.
That I why I can buy what I want when I want. She gets well taken care of.
post #88 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 145
she (fiance) hates it when I have upgraditis but I know she enjoys the HT whenever we watch a horror movie and the volume is just above her comfort level and a scary scene pops up and she screams like a little girl. Yeah, I love those moments...

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #89 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Don't have a wife, but the long term g/f loves the "theater". She always comments on the upgrades that I've done, and she has impressed me more than one instance. When replacing my old Pioneer receiver(815 i think) with the 84txsi, she immediately said "wow, that sounds so much better, it sounds a lot clearer". Then when upgrading speakers she commented again that it sounds better than the movie theater. Got a Blu - Ray player (51fd) before the holidays, and she has been buying Blu - Ray movies like they are going out of style because she has fallen in love with the quality of the picture and sound.

It means a lot to hear this from her, and knowing she pays attention and notices the upgrades and changes is awesome. I've already discussed building a dedicated theater when we get a house, and she is all for it!

Most of our weekends and evenings are spent watching movies, drinking some brew, and making some good meals!

To all those whose g/f's, wives, etc hate their theater setups, have you ever tried to have them watch a movie they absolutely love on it to see if it would change their mind?
post #90 of 123 Old 01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

My wife appreciates it, and usually doesn't have any problem using it (thanks to a Harmony remote),

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust View Post

I think we all owe it to our spouses who put up with us spending all the money and time on our systems to buy a good quality universal remote for only another $100-$200 so it's easy to use FOR THEM. I'm sure you'll get more use out of it than any other Christmas/birthday/Valentine's gift you ever get them.

Steve

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page