Does your wife appreciate your HT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mine does not. I used to have my HT set up in our living room. Actually had the house and HT before the wife. Wife wanted the HT out of the living room. I told her that I could build a new room for the HT. Room design morphed into a huge family room with one end set up for HT. I built the room in 1999. Wife was not to keen on my loud movies and after I added an A7S-450 (15 months ago) she stays out of the room when ever I am watching a movie. Room is sound isolated from the rest of the house. Now she has asked about moving my HT to another room. Since I added a projector a couple of years ago and the family room is not light controlled (too many huge windows) I told her that I would set up a second system. I jumped on the idea since this new room can be completely light controlled.

She told me that I could do what ever i wanted with this (existing) room. Room is small 11'-5" x 13'-5" x 8'-0". I painted the room black and bought new speakers, projector and screen. i already had amp, pre-amp and HD DVD player for DVD's. I also built sound panels and bass traps. I am currently using an old NHT SW2P sub in this room, but I have bought a Shiva-X driver to build a new sub for this room. The new sub 20" x 27" x 27" will be flat to 16 or 17Hz. If she thought the other room was bad wait until she hears this.

Now my question is how many people here have wives that appreciate their HT's and particularly their subwoofers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Mine loves the room..

We watched 24 last night and between commercials, the GOlden Globes... Now, I have alarge screen (14' wide scope)... so those Hollywood live shots just put you right in the middle of the ceremonies.. She digs the room as it is fun and dedicated.. she never sees it unless it is movie time.

She likes the low end, too... My subs get me close to 10 Hz @ more than 115 db.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
Well my old lady is a movie Fanatic...and she really enjoys the HT i have put together... Except for the sub...and i only currently have a POS sony HTIB sub. She is in for a bit of a shock when my ED sub rolls up next week(lord hopefully it will be here by next week already!!).

She is not a huge hater or anything. When we are watching movies she lets me turn it up and stuff...but after a while she gets annoyed with the bass.

We are totally HD Snobs...the rest of our family makes fun of us for it kinda funny
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My wife tolorates it and actually uses the receiver and tv on a daily basis. I mean she has to because the remote turns on the two units together for tv. lol.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife never did until recently. In the past, she always laughed at all of my audio upgrades and it meant nothing to her. We recently moved to Denver, and I now have a dedicated room in the basement with our first front projector. We have been watching the Star Wars movies with our young kids for the first time (they are so into it). My wife turned to me and thanked me for doing this for our family. I was so excited.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
She tolorates the home theater. She watches TV roughly 1 hour/week, but does appreciate it for that 1 hour. The rest of the time she is just happy that I'm happy.

She did watch a movie last night (wall-e), so that shoots the average way up. She just can't wait till the next season of Prison Break (her only show that she is hooked on).
Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Now my question is how many people here have wives that appreciate their HT's and particularly their subwoofers?

I have a dedicated custom built theater room and friends and their kids think its beyond this world.....they wait for me to get the BluRay movies on release date instead of going to the movies any more.

My wife wants couches instead of recliners so we can lay down and have the dog and kids all laying together so the berklines have to go a some point.

My wife loves EVERYTHING about the room, sound has never been better anywhere but she always request I keep the bass lower for her....sigh Of course I tweak the Buttkickers up a little when she is in the room.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My wife could really care less. She has commented on how good the picture is on our 61 inch 1080p Samsung DLP. She pretty much doesnt want the volume up anywhere near as loud as i want it in most movies. When I watch movies like The Matrix, i want it cranked up, she cant stand it like that.

She at least lets me purchase what i want for the most part. Today i am placing an order for the ED A7s-450. I told her to stash 200 away each month and she told me to just order it.

But if it were her, she would probably be fine on a 32 inch tv using tv speakers.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We call our room a media room just because it's not a dedicated bat cave type room. I have it pretty much light controlled but during the day, there is some ambient light. Over the last couple years, we installed a front projection system, 5.1 audio system, HD DVD, Blu-ray etc. At first, she questioned the need to upgrade from our 61" DLP to a 110" front projector/screen and I upgraded the AVR so we could hear the advanced lossless audio codecs and she questioned that too.
But after she watched a few movies along with her normal weekly shows, she no longer questioned it. She still thinks I go overboard sometimes but in the end, she knows that as long as we can afford it, she's fine with it. I always have to remind her of my favorite line when I want to get something pricey for the media room - "Honey, you can't put a price on happiness."
We also have turned into HD snobs. Her parents live real close to us and when they invite us over to watch a big game or something like that, we are always coming up with excuses to stay home and watch it at our house since they don't have HDTV. I guess we should just tell them that's the reason but she doesn't want to hurt their feelings I guess.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

I am not actually married yet, but we are engaged.

She loves hdtv and blu-rays from an image quality standpoint.

She has been enjoying the sound from my 3.0 setup but is dreading the impact of adding a subwoofer as we live in a townhouse. This past weekend we installed polk fxi a4 speakers on the rear wall of our family room. They BARELY passed WAF as they are 10 lbs each and pretty big to have on the wall.

I had been wanting a pb13u which I pretty much talked her into accepting the size of. Then, the other day I was looking at our dog's crate and realized it is about the same size as the big svs box. I measured the thing and it is almost exactally the same size only the crate is like 2 inched deeper.

After i made the mistake of telling her this...we are now not getting an ultra. It's just too big for her. Fortunately I have talked her into uls-15 which will hopefully fit both our needs better and more realistically for our living situation.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Does your wife appreciate your HT?

Gridgingly, yes.

Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No........she hates it.

I guess its because making our living room HT friendly is not the same as a well decorated living room...lol
Oh well, the Kids love it!!

Mpray1983- "User error due to sneeze or fart occurred during measurement"
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

She tolorates the home theater. She watches TV roughly 1 hour/week, but does appreciate it for that 1 hour. The rest of the time she is just happy that I'm happy.

She did watch a movie last night (wall-e), so that shoots the average way up. She just can't wait till the next season of Prison Break (her only show that she is hooked on).

We watched Wall-E last night as well.

I'm pretty sure the only thing she doesn't care for is Call of Duty.

She doesn't wanna watch or play it, so she'll hang out upstairs -- where the dishes rattle with each grenade.

I wonder if she finds that bothersome?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

My wife went so far as to allow it to be one of the deciding factors while we were looking to buy a house. This is *huge* since the area we were looking in was not known for it's expansive basements.

On boxing day we both heard an add for the local store I buy my a/v gear from and -she- was the one who suggested we check it out if there is a good deal going on (got 4 paradigm Studio 20's out of the spontanious trip).

She loves watching movies on the projector and loves seeing the (slow) progression of the theater room. It started with just a pair of Studio 60's I bought when we first moved into an apartment together and now that we have a house I've added a projector (Panny Ax200) and theater seating (2 rows of 3 coaster showtime seats). Boxing day added the center/surround channels but that will have to wait for a receiver/stands (months away, sadly). She knows that ultimately there will be a screen, masking, walls that need painting, a riser for the rear row, a ceiling mount for the PJ, an SVS sub (!) and a new receiver.

I loves her dearly
Old 01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't have a wife og a GF but my parents hate my HT especially seince I watch my action movies at nearly full-tilt.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Old 01-12-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My wife is more likely to get a movie than I am. We both love our room. She understands that a certain amount of stuff needs to be seen, and I under stand that it is still part of our house.

You guys need to have a little patience and teach your wive's the beauty of a nice HT set up. It's not about being loud, and it's not about watching The Matrix at 150db. It's about having a space that your whole family can enjoy. It's about popping some popcorn and sitting under a blanket and watching a chick flick. It's about my 13 year old son bringing home friends and cranking Iron Man till the house shakes!

And just so you don't think I'm a weinie.....
Paradigm studio speakers (100's,690,ADP's)
JVC 70" tv
SVS Ultra/2 and a Plus/2
Outlaw audio pre/pro and SEVEN 200watt mono block amps.
All in an 18x18 room.

Have you ever tried a concert DVD? Pop in Nora Jones, or how about Fleetwood Mac? Maybe Sheryl Crow.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Yes, My Wife ( Tina ) Finally Loves our Home Theater of Course Though, through the Process of Buying things here and there and Getting the HT Up and Running, She defintely Wasnt into it, she Didnt Love to Go Shopping with me, unless it was 10 min. or Less. I Told Her its " ALL for the Enjoyment of the Family, I want your Opinion, Its Important to me" ( of Course I knew What I wanted already or to a point ) ( *Note* to you New Guys, Get em involved, ( to a Degree of Course ) This WILL earn you Points in Getting the HT you've always Wanted

But Seriously She's been a Real Trooper, And Very supportive, The other Night we were watching " Death Race " When the Movie was over she Said "Wow it Sounded Awesome" without me even asking.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM

+1
Couldnt Agree with you more, Swigiust!!!!! Your Completly Right
Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
LOL, do you mean my ex-wife?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM

My wife loves ours, and we watch tv/movies on it everyday. And it is finally complete. Just got my new sub in today. Not sure what her take will be on that yet.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdolme View Post

My wife loves ours, and we watch tv/movies on it everyday. And it is finally complete. Just got my new sub in today. Not sure what her take will be on that yet.

I guess that depends on how big it is...what did you end up getting?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

My wife couldn't care less...unless people are over.

She hates the volume that movies & games are at, so late nights are spent w/ headphones becuase the HT is in the den that also open to the kitchen and my sub rattles the house.

She thinks that it is a pretty good 7.1 system for $200 (that's what I told her everything cost) but in actuality I bought everything w/ cash and it totals about $1300...she would freak! Thank god for expense checks!

She just now is getting around to liking my 52 ich LCD

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

We have been watching the Star Wars movies with our young kids for the first time (they are so into it). My wife turned to me and thanked me for doing this for our family. I was so excited.

Our family (Wife, Me & Son age 11) were just watching Star Wars on Saturday (Episode IV) and Sunday (Episode V), and on Saturday, she made a very similar comment. I was floored as she cannot stand any sort of Sci-Fi movie.

I took the opportunity to drop the "I want to upgrade the speakers so all of the movies we watch will sound better." (currently using ~8 year old HTiB speakers through a Sony STR-DG800 receiver).

She said "Go ahead!"

Sunday, I started shopping...let the real fun begin!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:

what is this "complete" that you speak of...once i get mine complete i am already thinking of what my next upgrade is...

But with the 2nd kid on the way i think i am done upgrading for a while...
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlow View Post

what is this "complete" that you speak of...once i get mine complete i am already thinking of what my next upgrade is...

But with the 2nd kid on the way i think i am done upgrading for a while...

I always thought I would be seriously "done" once I had 5.1 with the electronics and speakers I wanted.

Then I got myself a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tune the subwoofer frequencies. I haven't had a chance to finish it yet, but I have taken the measurements.

I also have on my list a Popcorn Hour, HDMI switching box or better electronics that will accept HDMI and HD audio codecs, room treatments (although this is probably way down the line) and a second subwoofer.

Enthusiasts will never truly be "complete" in terms of their system. There is always something better

In all honesty I could already tell you exactly what I wanted for a completely separate system in another room!

-Chad
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I always thought I would be seriously "done" once I had 5.1 with the electronics and speakers I wanted.

Then I got myself a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tune the subwoofer frequencies. I haven't had a chance to finish it yet, but I have taken the measurements.

I also have on my list a Popcorn Hour, HDMI switching box or better electronics that will accept HDMI and HD audio codecs, room treatments (although this is probably way down the line) and a second subwoofer.

Enthusiasts will never truly be "complete" in terms of their system. There is always something better

In all honesty I could already tell you exactly what I wanted for a completely separate system in another room!

-Chad

Same here...i finally got a decent system set up then for me it was the emotiva amps...then a feedback destroyer for me as well...Honestly if i would just stay away from this devil forum i would be a lot less upgrade hungry...but where is the fun in that
Old 01-12-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust View Post

My wife is more likely to get a movie than I am. We both love our room. She understands that a certain amount of stuff needs to be seen, and I under stand that it is still part of our house.

You guys need to have a little patience and teach your wive's the beauty of a nice HT set up. It's not about being loud, and it's not about watching The Matrix at 150db. It's about having a space that your whole family can enjoy. It's about popping some popcorn and sitting under a blanket and watching a chick flick. It's about my 13 year old son bringing home friends and cranking Iron Man till the house shakes!

And just so you don't think I'm a weinie.....
Paradigm studio speakers (100's,690,ADP's)
JVC 70" tv
SVS Ultra/2 and a Plus/2
Outlaw audio pre/pro and SEVEN 200watt mono block amps.
All in an 18x18 room.

Have you ever tried a concert DVD? Pop in Nora Jones, or how about Fleetwood Mac? Maybe Sheryl Crow.

Built my room in 1999 so I have been patient. I will watch any movie with my wife and kids. Kids love it and so do their friends. My wife just does not like to sit still for very long. She does like old classics. She just bought 15 more classics for her collection. Having two rooms, one dedicated, allows us to have movie nights when we can and it also allows me to have a space just for my movies when I want. Tonight I will watch the UL vs Notre Dame game.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The sub is the hardest item to get approved by the wife. That is assuming that you are trying to get a large powerful HT sub approved.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

-Chad

I have one done (at least for right now ) and I am working on the second one.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My wife appreciates our HT set up and uses it all the time The thing she bitches about is all the time I spend on the forums and my upgraditis But, she gets over it fast.
BTW, she really hates the looks of my mini towers and subwoofer, but she is a real sport!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!