Paradigm Sub 12 & Sub 15 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 838 Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Member
 
dshred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Not too much activity here lately. Lets change that...

I think I've finally come back to my senses. I've decided to hold onto my dual Sub 12's. They just sound way too good to part with. Watching Toy Story on BR last night reconfirmed my original thoughts about the Sub 12, just plain AWESOME! If I do make any changes it will be to add a third Sub 12. My ultimate goal will be four Sub 12's, two in the front and two in the back. I came to the conclusion that the other options I was "briefly" considering as upgrades were simply way to BIG to integrate into my current space. My space is very small at only ~12'x11'x7.5', but I can easily accommodate up to four Sub 12's due to their modest size. Did I mention that I'm a BASS ADDICT!

Btw, if anyone is interested, I finally had a chance to hear a JL F112 on the weekend in a dedicated room/setup at a shop. GORGEOUS sub! Love it in the gloss black finish with the grill off. Anyway, I thought it had tremendous output for its size, although it sounded extremely boomy, likely due more to setup/placement than anything else. I can now say without hesitation that the Sub 12 can easily hang with the F112. And, for the price I was quoted for the F112, I can buy THREE Sub 12's.

Glad to see you sticking with your sub12's. I just picked up a Denon AVR4810ci that has 3 sub outputs so now I'm saving for a third sub12. People think I'm crazy but most of them have $500 HTIB so they really have no idea what they're missing.

Have you tried one sub at each end of your room? I'm curious because my room will be finished shortly and I will be trying one at each end and then both at the front like your setup. I also saw a setup where one of the subs were facing the side at the back and the one at the front was facing the middle, might be another option.
dshred is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 838 Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshred View Post

Have you tried one sub at each end of your room?

No... That's what the third sub will be for.

Looking forward to some pics and impressions once you get everything dialed in.
BRAC is offline  
post #273 of 838 Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Member
 
dshred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

No... That's what the third sub will be for.

Looking forward to some pics and impressions once you get everything dialed in.

I too have been looking forward to this. I started my room just before Christmas, time flies. I will be sure to post pics and let you know how it goes.
dshred is offline  
post #274 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,613
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshred View Post

Glad to see you sticking with your sub12's. I just picked up a Denon AVR4810ci that has 3 sub outputs so now I'm saving for a third sub12. People think I'm crazy but most of them have $500 HTIB so they really have no idea what they're missing.

Have you tried one sub at each end of your room? I'm curious because my room will be finished shortly and I will be trying one at each end and then both at the front like your setup. I also saw a setup where one of the subs were facing the side at the back and the one at the front was facing the middle, might be another option.


I too have a Denon 4810 though I only have one Sub 15. For my room it is plenty of output..plus golf season started so now I need to throw my money away somewhere else :-)
Frohlich is online now  
post #275 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Member
 
dshred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I too have a Denon 4810 though I only have one Sub 15. For my room it is plenty of output..plus golf season started so now I need to throw my money away somewhere else :-)

How do you like that 4810? I can't wait to hook mine up, I have the 4306 right now.

I know what you mean, my other hobbies are guitars and motorcycles and they aren't cheap either. But hey, what else are we supposed to do with it? Gotta enjoy it while we can.
dshred is offline  
post #276 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,613
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshred View Post

How do you like that 4810? I can't wait to hook mine up, I have the 4306 right now.

I know what you mean, my other hobbies are guitars and motorcycles and they aren't cheap either. But hey, what else are we supposed to do with it? Gotta enjoy it while we can.

I like the 4810 a lot. I use it to power my 4 main speakers (I also have a 2 channel Anthem amp for the left and right channel so the Denon powers my center and three surround speakers) in my HT and my 2 deck speakers outside. My main reason for upgrading was my old Integra receiver didn't have HDMI and I was sick of switching the audio on my receiver and the video on my tv (keep in mind I am pretty lazy).
Frohlich is online now  
post #277 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Newbie
 
Smiller3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Put my order in today. Currently have a Paradigm PW-2500. Driving this with by Pioneer Elite SC-27. Originally was going to sell the PW-2500, but now am thinking if its better to have 2 subs. Couple of questions

Is it okay to have 2 "mismatched" subs in your system?

If so, do I just use a Y connector on my SC-27 to hook up

Looking forward to getting my new sub!
Smiller3 is offline  
post #278 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
the_phew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smiller, having both a ported and sealed sub in your system might not be the best idea; they have totally different dynamic characteristics.

I had a PW-2200, and it sounded boomy and sloppy in my large room. My sealed Sub 1 is so much more musical.
the_phew is offline  
post #279 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whasaaaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 32
[QUOTE=Originally Posted by BRAC
Not too much activity here lately. Lets change that...

I think I've finally come back to my senses. I've decided to hold onto my dual Sub 12's. They just sound way too good to part with. Watching Toy Story on BR last night reconfirmed my original thoughts about the Sub 12, just plain AWESOME! If I do make any changes it will be to add a third Sub 12. My ultimate goal will be four Sub 12's, two in the front and two in the back. I came to the conclusion that the other options I was "briefly" considering as upgrades were simply way to BIG to integrate into my current space. My space is very small at only ~12'x11'x7.5', but I can easily accommodate up to four Sub 12's due to their modest size. Did I mention that I'm a BASS ADDICT!

Btw, if anyone is interested, I finally had a chance to hear a JL F112 on the weekend in a dedicated room/setup at a shop. GORGEOUS sub! Love it in the gloss black finish with the grill off. Anyway, I thought it had tremendous output for its size, although it sounded extremely boomy, likely due more to setup/placement than anything else. I can now say without hesitation that the Sub 12 can easily hang with the F112. And, for the price I was quoted for the F112, I can buy THREE Sub 12's. .[/quote]

yes im glad to see as well ur keeping the sub12's. i have not received my sub25 as yet. he said next week for sure, this is a short week with easter.

im going crazy waiting going nuts, pulling teeth

Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts(2)
Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back(2)
Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel(1)
Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides(2)
Paradigm Signature Sub25 - 2nd one coming
Pioneer Elite SC-89 &Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
whasaaaab is offline  
post #280 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
whasaaaab,

Did they tell you what was holding it up?
BRAC is offline  
post #281 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whasaaaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 32
yeah it was shipped to the wrong address, i hope i get it tomorrow.

Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts(2)
Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back(2)
Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel(1)
Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides(2)
Paradigm Signature Sub25 - 2nd one coming
Pioneer Elite SC-89 &Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
whasaaaab is offline  
post #282 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Member
 
Pair4Dimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sold my sub12.... I miss it already... Have an older PDR-10 that's trying to fit in right now ...but man sure miss the thing...
Pair4Dimes is offline  
post #283 of 838 Old 03-31-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair4Dimes View Post

I sold my sub12.... I miss it already... Have an older PDR-10 that's trying to fit in right now ...but man sure miss the thing...

Why???
BRAC is offline  
post #284 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicardoJoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I was wondering, how would the sub12 compare to rythmik 15 and HSU ULS15 in terms of performance. They all dig bellow 20hz, are sealed and have good review for SQ and are musical. In terms of power, the paradigm is like 4 times the power of the rythmik and 2+ more then the HSU. These are the subs im considering and in terms of price, the paradigm are more expensive, but the reason i included it is because im from overseas and getting either rythmik or HSU will have to include shippings cost, so in the end, the cost might be close to what im getting for the paradigm. The paradigm seems like it has the best looks IMO.
RicardoJoa is offline  
post #285 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
David Barteaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardojoa View Post

i was wondering, how would the sub12 compare to rythmik 15 and hsu uls15 in terms of performance. They all dig bellow 20hz, are sealed and have good review for sq and are musical. In terms of power, the paradigm is like 4 times the power of the rythmik and 2+ more then the hsu. These are the subs im considering and in terms of price, the paradigm are more expensive, but the reason i included it is because im from overseas and getting either rythmik or hsu will have to include shippings cost, so in the end, the cost might be close to what im getting for the paradigm. The paradigm seems like it has the best looks imo.

I think the paradigm will play louder below 20hz?? not sure.

I can get Rythmik for $1000 or the Sub12 for $2000 canadian..guess which one I'm getting

David Barteaux is offline  
post #286 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux View Post

I think the paradigm will play louder below 20hz?? not sure.

I can get Rythmik for $1000 or the Sub12 for $2000 canadian..guess which one I'm getting


OK, I'll bite. You are getting the Sub 12. Are there performance numbers for the Sub12 from any professional testers?
spyboy is offline  
post #287 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
David Barteaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nope, Rythmik D15 .., The lack of data and user reviews, and of course price, lead me away from the Sub12.
My room is small so i dont think output will be an issue.

David Barteaux is offline  
post #288 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux View Post

Nope, Rythmik D15 .., The lack of data and user reviews, and of course price, lead me away from the Sub12.
My room is small so i dont think output will be an issue.

There are plenty of Sub 12 user reviews right here in this very thread, and I'd wager at least as many as the Rythmik.

Fyi, I'm in Canada and paid nowhere near 2K for either of my Sub 12's. Just takes a little patience, some negotiating, and a reasonable dealer.

That said, I'm sure the Rythmik is great as well.
BRAC is offline  
post #289 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm getting ready to wire my basement ht and wondering if I need a separate circuit for each subwoofer? At the moment I have a sub 15 and plan on adding another around X-mas. Could I run both from a 120v 20 amp circuit or one circuit for each?
weird 23 is offline  
post #290 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

I was wondering, how would the sub12 compare to rythmik 15 and HSU ULS15 in terms of performance. They all dig bellow 20hz, are sealed and have good review for SQ and are musical. In terms of power, the paradigm is like 4 times the power of the rythmik and 2+ more then the HSU. These are the subs im considering and in terms of price, the paradigm are more expensive, but the reason i included it is because im from overseas and getting either rythmik or HSU will have to include shippings cost, so in the end, the cost might be close to what im getting for the paradigm. The paradigm seems like it has the best looks IMO.

My advice to you, get the Sub 12 and don't look back. I'm sure sound quality/output will be comparable with all three units, but with the Sub 12 you'll get piece of mind. Imagine the potential hassle involved should you encounter issues with the HSU or Rythmik.
BRAC is offline  
post #291 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

I'm getting ready to wire my basement ht and wondering if I need a separate circuit for each subwoofer? At the moment I have a sub 15 and plan on adding another around X-mas. Could I run both from a 120v 20 amp circuit or one circuit for each?

Can't hurt... For the little cost involved I'd just run the extra line anyway.

So you know, I'm running dual Sub 12's(same amp as Sub 15), an Anthem A5, plus all my other gear on a single 120V 15A line without any issues. My room is very small(12x11x7.5), but I do listen a spirited levels.
BRAC is offline  
post #292 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Can't hurt... For the little cost involved I'd just run the extra line anyway.

So you know, I'm running dual Sub 12's(same amp as Sub 15), an Anthem A5, plus all my other gear on a single 120V 15A line without any issues. My room is very small(12x11x7.5), but I do listen a spirited levels.

Where do you have your daul's placed in your room? I was thinking of one at the front of the room and one at the back. I know that the answer may be try it and see what works best but that's just not possible at this time. I guess I could put two outlet's at the front on different lines and one at the back.
weird 23 is offline  
post #293 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

Where do you have your daul's placed in your room? I was thinking of one at the front of the room and one at the back. I know that the answer may be try it and see what works best but that's just not possible at this time. I guess I could put two outlet's at the front on different lines and one at the back.

I have one placed just to the inside of each front speaker. I'd configure the outlets exactly how you mentioned and then you're covered either way.
BRAC is offline  
post #294 of 838 Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

I have one placed just to the inside of each front speaker. I'd configure the outlets exactly how you mentioned and then you're covered either way.

I'm excited for the holidays this year, the Sub 15 is awesome! Two should be even better, great mid bass slam and it plays deep. Before the Sub 15 I had dual dsp 3200's and have been missing dual sub's. Although I think 1 sub 15 is better than dual 3200's. Roughly one month from now my gear will have it's own space again.
weird 23 is offline  
post #295 of 838 Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Member
 
Pair4Dimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Why???

Upgraditis... I work for a paradigm dealer... Going to wait for the Sub 1 and see how it sounds...If not..sub 25 isn't too bad either
Pair4Dimes is offline  
post #296 of 838 Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair4Dimes View Post

Upgraditis... I work for a paradigm dealer... Going to wait for the Sub 1 and see how it sounds...If not..sub 25 isn't too bad either

Cool... I catch that bug from time to time too. I'm kind of curious about the Sub 1 as well, but I decided that adding more Sub 12's makes the most sense.
BRAC is offline  
post #297 of 838 Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Pair4Dimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea I love the Sub 12 too... But limited room limits me to just one sub
Pair4Dimes is offline  
post #298 of 838 Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair4Dimes View Post

Upgraditis... I work for a paradigm dealer... Going to wait for the Sub 1 and see how it sounds...If not..sub 25 isn't too bad either

I'm thinking of adding another Sub 15 and was wondering if a Sub 1 would be better. Any thoughts on two Sub 15's vs the Sub 1?
weird 23 is offline  
post #299 of 838 Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Member
 
Pair4Dimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To be honest I think 2 sub 15s should hit you harder...

If HT is your thing I'd prefer 2 dual 15s... But I say this without hear the Sub1 yet..so cant get to judgmental just yet.
I think the Sub 1 will play a lot cleaner and tighter for music... but all we can do is wait right now... waiting sucks.
Pair4Dimes is offline  
post #300 of 838 Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
weird 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair4Dimes View Post

To be honest I think 2 sub 15s should hit you harder...

If HT is your thing I'd prefer 2 dual 15s... But I say this without hear the Sub1 yet..so cant get to judgmental just yet.
I think the Sub 1 will play a lot cleaner and tighter for music... but all we can do is wait right now... waiting sucks.

I'm about 70% movies 30% music on that system. I'll problably stick with another Sub 15, selling gear can sometimes be a pain.
weird 23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off