post #361 of 831 Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Any other pictures of the Sub12 and Sub15 ?

Here's the Sub 15, my basement is still not finished yet. Next week the carpet is beening installed and then it's finished.(except for setting up all the gear and mounting the tv) I'll post some more pics when it's finished.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 831 Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

Here's the Sub 15, my basement is still not finished yet. Next week the carpet is beening installed and then it's finished.(except for setting up all the gear and mounting the tv) I'll post some more pics when it's finished.

Looks good. Is that a pair of subdudes or grammas? I was wondering about getting those for mine but I"m thinking with the feet on them and being on a cocncrete floor that they're not needed???
post #363 of 831 Old 05-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshred View Post

Looks good. Is that a pair of subdudes or grammas? I was wondering about getting those for mine but I"m thinking with the feet on them and being on a cocncrete floor that they're not needed???

That's a pair of grammas, I doubt I'll use them downstairs but with the basement reno alot of stuff had to come upstairs. The grammas make the sub easier to move around upstairs if I need to, it's a little heavy. I'll be adding another one around X-Mas time. I can't wait until the carpet is installed next week so I can finally have my space back downstairs. My gear is setup poorly right now due to not enough space. Our house is a bunglow so the upstairs is a little crowded, I don't want to show my gear in it's current state. It's not pretty, but only one more week.
post #364 of 831 Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks weird 23. Nice pics.
post #365 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Hi,

I'm thinking of setting up a 5.1 system in a very small room -- 9 feet width x 11 feet length x 8 feet height = 800 cubic feet.

I heard that small rooms aren't good for sound, particularly bass, I think.

Would the PBK be able to equalize the Sub 15 to have flat performance in this small of a room? This is my main question.

I could use some good advice. I don't want to sink a lot of money into this if my small room would doom me to have bad sound no matter what.

I'm starting from scratch here, and I'm thinking of using 4 PSB Synchrony Two B speakers and 1 PSB Synchrony Two C speaker in addition to the Sub 15. I'm also thinking of using a Pioneer SC27 receiver. Thanks!
post #366 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Not true about a small room not having good bass. Mine is 10x9x8 and with SUB12, Revel M20 fronts, C52 center, M22 rears - bass and overall sound is very good. The SUB12 with PBK replaced a SVS PB12 Ultra - best uprade i've ever made.
post #367 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My room is very small as well at 12 x 11 x 7.5, and the sound is fantastic! I have dual Sub 12's now, but even with one Sub 12 and PBK the sound was very good. At the very least I suggest bass traps in every corner. They will give you by far the biggest increase in bass performance IMHO.
post #368 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

My room is very small as well at 12 x 11 x 7.5, and the sound is fantastic! I have dual Sub 12's now, but even with one Sub 12 and PBK the sound was very good. At the very least I suggest bass traps in every corner. It will give you by far the biggest increase in bass performance IMHO.

When are the other two Sub 12's coming?
post #369 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When are the other two Sub 12's coming?

As much as I'd like, I just can't swing it right now.
post #370 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
mshimao, why a Sub-15 in such a small room? Even the Sub-12 would easily energize that room. In fact if you put the money into a better amp, I would suggest just going with large front speakers and no sub.

There seems to be a lot of people in this thread with lower-end systems obsessed with subs, just my observation. Sub should be the last thing you buy IMO.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #371 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As much as I'd like, I just can't swing it right now.

I know how you feel, I can't swing another Sub 15 right now either.
post #372 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

mshimao, why a Sub-15 in such a small room? Even the Sub-12 would easily energize that room. In fact if you put the money into a better amp, I would suggest just going with large front speakers and no sub.

There seems to be a lot of people in this thread with lower-end systems obsessed with subs, just my observation. Sub should be the last thing you buy IMO.

If we are talking HT, then I respectfully disagree... The center channel and sub are the most important speakers for movie soundtrack reproduction. You do have a valid point if music is the priority though.
post #373 of 831 Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

To each his own. I had a Sub12 and upgraded to two Sub 15's, absolutely no regrets. I find the Sub 15's have a little more headroom, which is to be expected from its larger surface area. I also have a bigger room that opens up though, so I get much less low frequency room gain.

Quote:
Sub should be the last thing you buy IMO.

Maybe, I guess... personally I would get a decent sub before decent rears. When watching movies with good LFE, if I were to shut off my subs, then it would be like going from watching a movie in iMax, to watching it on a laptop. Some scenes just need to be felt. Like... Flight of the Phoenix.

The rest of my system is Studio 60 v.4 / CC-590 / Studio 20 v.4, so it's capable. But it takes a sub to get the pants legs a flappin'!
post #374 of 831 Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell View Post

Not true about a small room not having good bass. Mine is 10x9x8 and with SUB12, Revel M20 fronts, C52 center, M22 rears - bass and overall sound is very good. The SUB12 with PBK replaced a SVS PB12 Ultra - best uprade i've ever made.

Gary, so you would recommend the SUB12 over the SVS Ultra? I am contemplating a sub upgrade and it will probably come down to the sub15, SVS ultra 13 or a Seaton.

Thanks
post #375 of 831 Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the SUB12 or SUB15 with PBK let's you place it anyplace in the room and it's calibrated, hard to beat!
post #376 of 831 Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell View Post

Yes, the SUB12 or SUB15 with PBK let's you place it anyplace in the room and it's calibrated, hard to beat!

VERY hard to beat IMO.

dream in algorithms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #377 of 831 Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM

PBK does a tremendous job. I have a sub 12, placed in the front left corner and let PBK do its thing. It smooths out any room peaks and nulls. When you watch movies with sweeps, you hear one continuous smooth sweep with all the frequencies at one volume.

The sub 12 will fill a room with plenty of bass. My room is 14 x 17. No problems for it.

I had a chance to purchase servo 15v2 from a friend of mine. I tried it at my place. It is able to produce lower frequencies better than the sub 12 but only the very low frequencies. The problem now is that the servo15 cannot be PBK'd and so listening to a sweep produces some slightly louder and slightly softer parts. AudisseyXT can do a little but I don't think it is as good as PBK. I was very happy with the sub 12 but I prefer a little more bottom end. The servo 15 has that. Sadly I will be selling my sub 12. The servo 15v2 is a pretty wicked sub though!

If you want to go a little lower, the sub 15 would be the way to go. Get PBK and have it do the room correction. You will be very happy. The sub 12 or sub 15 are both great subs with excellent sound quality and punch!
post #378 of 831 Old 07-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
BRAC: what happend i cant believe your parting with your whole sytem.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #379 of 831 Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

Nothing... I guess you could say that I've yet to find what I'm looking for. And, I'm just not quite ready for this journey to end yet.
post #380 of 831 Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

Quote:

Nothing... I guess you could say that I've yet to find what I'm looking for. And, I'm just not quite ready for this journey to end yet.

Speaking of which... I have my dual Sub 12's listed again if anyone from the Edmonton area is interested. PM me for the details.
post #381 of 831 Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 PM

Purchased a demo Sub 15 which I am going to hook up over the next week or so. Have a novice question on PBK. I have never had a high end sub before. With PBK, do I just need to run it the one time, and it will calculate and optimize the sub for my room based on its current placement? Is there any other tuning I need to do or is everything automatically set in the sub and I'm good to go.

Sorry for such a basic question!

Thanks

Steve
post #382 of 831 Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post

Purchased a demo Sub 15 which I am going to hook up over the next week or so. Have a novice question on PBK. I have never had a high end sub before. With PBK, do I just need to run it the one time, and it will calculate and optimize the sub for my room based on its current placement? Is there any other tuning I need to do or is everything automatically set in the sub and I'm good to go.

Sorry for such a basic question!

Thanks

Steve

You will want to adjust level, phase, and roll off frequency after the PBK applies the EQ tuning.
You got a truly awesome sub, enjoy it!

dream in algorithms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #383 of 831 Old 07-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post

Is there any other tuning I need to do or is everything automatically set in the sub and I'm good to go.

Frequency cutoff: assuming that your receiver is applying a lowpass filter to redirect the mains' LF content (typically <80Hz) to your subwoofer, you should set the sub's frequency cutoff to bypass.

Phase -- if you only have one sub, then you can probably just set it to 0 degrees.

Volume -- set it to what sounds good to your ears, until it is reasonably balanced with your main speakers. Also, if you are using the RCA input to the sub, you can effectively double the volume by using a Y-splitter and sending the same signal to both RCA inputs.

A word of advice with PBK: if possible, try to put the sub in a spot that results in the least amount of compensation. Corners are usually bad for this.
post #384 of 831 Old 08-07-2010, 01:02 PM

I finally listened to a Sub 12 last night. It was very impressive as it produced some tremendous bass. Surprisingly the salesman, had plenty of good things to say about my DSP 3200 as well but did concede that the Sub 12 was a higher class sub which I already knew anyway. The store offered to let me take the Sub 12 home for a weekend so I can compare in an environment I know with material that I am familar with. If I end up purchasing, I'll have to cough up 1400 bucks plus the 450.00 I'll get for my 3200. Hopefully my in home A/B comparison will show a large enough difference to justify the expense. Because the rest of my speakers are Studio models my heart wants the Sub 12 - it is my brain that needs some solid evidence
post #385 of 831 Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan View Post

I finally listened to a Sub 12 last night. It was very impressive as it produced some tremendous bass. Surprisingly the salesman, had plenty of good things to say about my DSP 3200 as well but did concede that the Sub 12 was a higher class sub which I already knew anyway. The store offered to let me take the Sub 12 home for a weekend so I can compare in an environment I know with material that I am familar with. If I end up purchasing, I'll have to cough up 1400 bucks plus the 450.00 I'll get for my 3200. Hopefully my in home A/B comparison will show a large enough difference to justify the expense. Because the rest of my speakers are Studio models my heart wants the Sub 12 - it is my brain that needs some solid evidence

While Paradigm's DSP Series subwoofers are an excellent choice (especially since they are now Perfect Bass Kit compatible), I suspect the Reference Studio Sub 12 will have an easy time justifying it's place in your room.

dream in algorithms

post #386 of 831 Old 08-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's awesome! I don't think your going to want to return it after you get it home, you won't be disappointed. Are they going to let you use the PBK as well? Let us know how it turns out.
post #387 of 831 Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:

That's awesome! I don't think your going to want to return it after you get it home, you won't be disappointed. Are they going to let you use the PBK as well? Let us know how it turns out.

Well I got the Sub 12 demo unit home from the dealer on Thursday night. I unboxed it like a kid at xmas and once it was hooked up it didn't take very long to outdo my DSP 3200. I watched the tree falling scene in Avatar, watched a few Colosseum scenes in Gladiator, some scenes from my kids Pixar Blurays, and some bass heavy music. This thing rocks !! The bass is much more defined than the 3200 and there is much more punch compared to my 3200. The DSP shakes the floor but the Sub 12 hits you in the stomach and chest. My wife arrived home during the Gladiator scenes and when she started up the walkway leading to the front door she could immediately hear something was going on even though the HT is at the back of the house - when she opened the front door she said it was like she stepped into the Colosseum. Musically it also impressed when I played some Bach. My dad played the pipe organ for many years quite well and it was like I was sitting in a church again listening live - simply incredible! It is a good thing I had Friday off as I was up late into the evening. I boxed it backed up and returned it. My salesman new it was a winner as soon as he saw the grin on my face. So now I am convinced. I have a great price at a local dealer so I think by xmas time I will have one in my HT room.....I'll have to "settle" for the DSP until then but one positive out of this is that the 3200 is a good little sub as well but not in the same class as the Sub 12.
post #388 of 831 Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I got the Sub 12 demo unit home from the dealer on Thursday night. I unboxed it like a kid at xmas and once it was hooked up it didn't take very long to outdo my DSP 3200. I watched the tree falling scene in Avatar, watched a few Colosseum scenes in Gladiator, some scenes from my kids Pixar Blurays, and some bass heavy music. This thing rocks !! The bass is much more defined than the 3200 and there is much more punch compared to my 3200. The DSP shakes the floor but the Sub 12 hits you in the stomach and chest. My wife arrived home during the Gladiator scenes and when she started up the walkway leading to the front door she could immediately hear something was going on even though the HT is at the back of the house - when she opened the front door she said it was like she stepped into the Colosseum. It is a good thing I had Friday off as I was up late into the evening. I boxed it backed up and returned it. My salesman new it was a winner as soon as he saw the grin on my face. So now I am convinced. I have a great price at a local dealer so I think by xmas time I will have one in my HT room.....I'll have to "settle" for DSP until then.

di he have a Sub 15 or 25 you can demo?

Regency Park Family Theater

post #389 of 831 Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I got the Sub 12 demo unit home from the dealer on Thursday night. I unboxed it like a kid at xmas and once it was hooked up it didn't take very long to outdo my DSP 3200. I watched the tree falling scene in Avatar, watched a few Colosseum scenes in Gladiator, some scenes from my kids Pixar Blurays, and some bass heavy music. This thing rocks !! The bass is much more defined than the 3200 and there is much more punch compared to my 3200. The DSP shakes the floor but the Sub 12 hits you in the stomach and chest. My wife arrived home during the Gladiator scenes and when she started up the walkway leading to the front door she could immediately hear something was going on even though the HT is at the back of the house - when she opened the front door she said it was like she stepped into the Colosseum. Musically it also impressed when I played some Bach. My dad played the pipe organ for many years quite well and it was like I was sitting in a church again listening live - simply incredible! It is a good thing I had Friday off as I was up late into the evening. I boxed it backed up and returned it. My salesman new it was a winner as soon as he saw the grin on my face. So now I am convinced. I have a great price at a local dealer so I think by xmas time I will have one in my HT room.....I'll have to "settle" for the DSP until then but one positive out of this is that the 3200 is a good little sub as well but not in the same class as the Sub 12.

I knew that you would love the Sub 12, I know that the Paradigm subs are more expensive than other brands but they really do perform. For a sub the size of the 12 it really hits hard, the PBK really smooths them out nicely as well. Did you notice much of a difference between sealed and ported? That will be one sweet X-Mas present to yourself.
post #390 of 831 Old 09-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Go with hsu vtf subs, you can tune them for music or movies! Both worlds
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page