AVS Forum banner

Paradigm Sub 12 & Sub 15

166K views 864 replies 154 participants last post by  boyce89976 
#1 ·
Paradigm's new Sub 12, and Sub 15 have my interest... I can't wait to put an ear near one.

Dual 850w amplifiers (one per voicecoil) is each model is pretty damn cool IMO.

Sub 12 $1999

Sub 15 $2799

The optional Perfect Bass Kit is $299, but can control more than one sub.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#4 ·
now i have to choose between the sub 15 and the svs13 ultra.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin /forum/post/15620310

If your main use is HT, the PB13 will beat the SUB 15 easily. I'm not sure about music, but they should be close, an edge for the PB13.

you cant beat the price of the svs. but i think the more musical the speaker system is, it will sound better with movies. plus most movies have music.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx /forum/post/15620412

you cant beat the price of the svs. but i think the more musical the speaker system is, it will sound better with movies. plus most movies have music.

That is true to some degree, but for HT use, the subwoofer's main focus is output. You want the sub to have lots of output to shake your room.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin /forum/post/15620310

If your main use is HT, the PB13 will beat the SUB 15 easily. I'm not sure about music, but they should be close, an edge for the PB13.

I love how you can say such an opinion as fact when the sub has not been released yet and you have not heard it. Right now price is all that can be compared

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcelyea /forum/post/15622741

I love how you can say such an opinion as fact when the sub has not been released yet and you have not heard it. Right now price is all that can be compared

It is 100% that the SUB 15 will have less output than the PB13. I don't think there is any sealed commercial subwoofer than can exceed the output of a PB13. Also, this is not even Paradigm's flagship sub.

For sake of comparison, Paradigm's Servo v2 (15''), Paradigm's second best sub, only outputted 99dB at 20Hz, 104dB at 30Hz, and 102dB at 50Hz at 2M away ground plane. The PB13, outputted 108dB at 20Hz, 112dB at 31Hz, and 116dB at 50hz. This is equivalent to more than 3 Servo v2s. Do you think the SUB 15 have any chance of beating the PB13?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengbin /forum/post/15625002

It is 100% that the SUB 15 will have less output than the PB13. I don't think there is any sealed commercial subwoofer than can exceed the output of a PB13. Also, this is not even Paradigm's flagship sub.

For sake of comparison, Paradigm's Servo v2 (15''), Paradigm's second best sub, only outputted 99dB at 20Hz, 104dB at 30Hz, and 102dB at 50Hz at 2M away ground plane. The PB13, outputted 108dB at 20Hz, 112dB at 31Hz, and 116dB at 50hz. This is equivalent to more than 3 Servo v2s. Do you think the SUB 15 have any chance of beating the PB13?

is it all about the output?what about the sound quality?

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcelyea /forum/post/15622741

He already answered your question, but if you had an Ultra, or ever heard one, you would know

Quote:
What if the Sub 15 and the PB13 were the same price? Which would you prefer then?

I have a love hate relationship with my Ultra, I love the output, but the size... good lord. My primary use is HT, so the Ultra, no hesitation.

#19 ·
The new Sub12 and Sub15 will be JL Audio f112 and f113 competition. The JL's capable of displacing slightly more air.

The new Paradigm subs are suilt like tanks,I saw the Sub12 at my local Paradigm/JL dealer.

I may buy the Sub 15 and Sub 12 and stack thembesides my f113's and f112's.

Real nice subs.

For pure output the SVS Ultra and new Plus will displace more air,where the SVS takes ouver is in output from 30Hz down to tune.No surprises here,anyone who understands a bit how a sealed fares versus a ported will make an easy deduction here.

#20 ·
my question is two sub 12's or one sub 15 ? my listening area is about 17 long 13 wide 8 high . paradigm 100's cc 690 adp 590 anthem mca 50 avm 50. my great room total is about 40 long 25 wide 8 high , with the listening room in that space , 50 50 ht music . i was told doing a 5.1 i would be better with two subs instead of a single sub . the cost of doing a 7.1 system would be more , amps speakers ect... input please ? want to do it right first time . putting wire in walls soon. thanks in advance .

#21 ·
I'd go with two Sub-12's, you'll get a little more output(depending on where you place them-phase, etc.) and smoother response, I like having two subs, I use one for lower frequncies, and the other set on a higher crossover frequncy to fill in mid bass, sounds great. But of course you don't have to do that. MO

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrain /forum/post/15922745

What if the Sub 15 and the PB13 were the same price? Which would you prefer then?

Sub 15 (neeed looks too)

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmonkey /forum/post/16018641

why?

a great speaker should also be a nice peice of furniture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.