BIC h100 with Onkyo 806 - not much output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am posting it again under subwoofer secgtion too.

I am using Paradigm speakers as my fronts and center with Onkyo 806 and BIC H100. In my old apartment (last week), I had to keep H 100 at 5 or low otherwise I was scared my neighbors would be upset. I moved to a new apartment and did my setup. But surprisingly I cannot even feel if sub is on. I went up to 10 and still bass was ok...but not earth shattering.

I checked Onkyo 806 settings: Under speaker setup...I can hear sub. I have crossover set at 80 hz. Also when I touch the cable coming from sub (coaxial) I can feel the hum. Not sure what changed from old apartment to new apartment.

I did add center speaker in the new apartment. Not sure if it matters.

My receiver has 2 sub woofer outlets and I tried both.

Plz help.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

1) Recheck Audyssey settings if you ran it again after moving.
2) Check if you speakers are set to small.
3) Was the gain/volume dial on the subwoofer changed after moving?

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you can, try to set the sub to "both" on the receiver.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Not sure how to try this
post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 View Post

1) Recheck Audyssey settings if you ran it again after moving.
2) Check if you speakers are set to small.
3) Was the gain/volume dial on the subwoofer changed after moving?

I ran Audyssey last night but did not help.
My speakers are set to normal if thats what you mean.
I did try to change the volume to 10 even yesterday but output is very low. Infact Audyssey was able to find the sub and I could hear low thuds while the process was running on sub. Does that mean:
1. I can be sure that my sub is not broken?
2. My receiver is not broken?
3. Can my cable be defective? I used same cable in my old apartment.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

You can try this, set subwoofer/LFE to both (other options would be MAINS, SUBWOOFER) so that it outputs on both your mains and the subwoofer. But it is not recommended to leave this on, as it will impose a greater strain on your amplifier/receiver than necessary and you will experience double bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1981 View Post

I ran Audyssey last night but did not help.
My speakers are set to normal if thats what you mean.
I did try to change the volume to 10 even yesterday but output is very low. Infact Audyssey was able to find the sub and I could hear low thuds while the process was running on sub. Does that mean:
1. I can be sure that my sub is not broken?
2. My receiver is not broken?
3. Can my cable be defective? I used same cable in my old apartment.

Is the new place where you put it all bare? (Bare walls, etc)

What's Audyssey's level on the sub? Maybe it's set too low?

Highly doubt that the cable is defective, you can get one from Monoprice.com if you think it is. Their cables are pretty cheap and are of good quality.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 12:14 PM

Well like many around here will tell you, the room is one of the most important factors of the sound. the way your subs and speakers interact with the room will affect the sound. I'm surprised no one mentioned that you moved to a completely new area. How big was was your old apartment were the sub was at? what are dimensions of your new room were did you have your subwoofer placed before, were is it placed now? If your room is open to other areas you have to count that as space for your sub to move air in. HxLxW Maybe your need more subwoofer for your new place.

Will
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Btw, I have my eD A2-300 in a smaller room now but bass is actually less than when it was in a room twice as large. The smaller is bare, only thin curtains hanging by the windows, no carpets, drapes, etc.

post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I am posting it again under subwoofer secgtion too.

I am using Paradigm speakers as my fronts and center with Onkyo 806 and BIC H100. In my old apartment (last week), I had to keep H 100 at 5 or low otherwise I was scared my neighbors would be upset. I moved to a new apartment and did my setup. But surprisingly I cannot even feel if sub is on. I went up to 10 and still bass was ok...but not earth shattering.

I checked Onkyo 806 settings: Under speaker setup...I can hear sub. I have crossover set at 80 hz. Also when I touch the cable coming from sub (coaxial) I can feel the hum. Not sure what changed from old apartment to new apartment.

I did add center speaker in the new apartment. Not sure if it matters.

My receiver has 2 sub woofer outlets and I tried both.

Plz help.

Thanks.

I have the the 806 and the H100. What is the gain set at on the sub? I have my gain set to about 3 1/2 and -9.5 on the rcvr. What is the source and what setting is the receiver on?
post #10 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 View Post

You can try this, set subwoofer/LFE to both (other options would be MAINS, SUBWOOFER) so that it outputs on both your mains and the subwoofer. But it is not recommended to leave this on, as it will impose a greater strain on your amplifier/receiver than necessary and you will experience double bass.

Is the new place where you put it all bare? (Bare walls, etc)

What's Audyssey's level on the sub? Maybe it's set too low?

Highly doubt that the cable is defective, you can get one from Monoprice.com if you think it is. Their cables are pretty cheap and are of good quality.

I tried another new cable. So it's not the cable.
Walls are bare right now. How do I check Audyssey's levels? May be I need to reset my receiver to factory settings. Does someone how to do it on 806?
I will also look for "both" option.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3plew View Post

Well like many around here will tell you, the room is one of the most important factors of the sound. the way your subs and speakers interact with the room will affect the sound. I'm surprised no one mentioned that you moved to a completely new area. How big was was your old apartment were the sub was at? what are dimensions of your new room were did you have your subwoofer placed before, were is it placed now? If your room is open to other areas you have to count that as space for your sub to move air in. HxLxW Maybe your need more subwoofer for your new place.

Rooms are almost same size. I have my sub in corner but not sure if I need to keep the front 12" sub facing me or the wall?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3plew View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

I have the the 806 and the H100. What is the gain set at on the sub? I have my gain set to about 3 1/2 and -9.5 on the rcvr. What is the source and what setting is the receiver on?

How do I check this on 806? Do u know how to reset 806 receiver?
post #13 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:

How do I check this on 806? Do u know how to reset 806 receiver?

Menu> Speaker settings> speaker levels

That will tell you where Audyssey has set the sub level. Is i low when watching movies, music, cable, blu-ray?
post #14 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Make sure you don't have the crossover on the sub itself turned on. You may also need to check the phase setting on the sub - try turning it to opposite of what it is now, see if that helps.

Make sure your speakers are set to "Small" in the receiver. If your receiver says "Normal," what's the other option besides it? Check your manual to make sure whatever setting you use is the one that re-routes bass to the sub instead of the speakers.

And if you get close to the sub, right next to it, can you hear it? Room acoustics may decrease the level of the bass at the listening position, so you may need to move the sub to a different location.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Make sure your speakers are set to "Small" in the receiver. If your receiver says "Normal," what's the other option besides it? Check your manual to make sure whatever setting you use is the one that re-routes bass to the sub instead of the speakers.

Normal is Large with the 806, the other option is set a crossover. Onkyo doesn't use the Small/Large terminology now, just to confuse people I think.

Make sure you have a crossover set for the different speaker choices, front, Large, Surrounds, etc. Otherwise Normal is Large.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to solve the issue yesterday. Under Speaker Settings -> Level calibration, I changed the Sub to +8db and got the same output as I was getting earlier.

Thanks everyone.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You still need to change the speaker settings from Normal to the other, to engage the crossover and re-route bass to the sub.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I always run Audyssey then calibrate using RS meter to dial it a bit closer, always improves the soundstage....

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page