TACTILE TRANSDUCERS - Just Ordered One! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered a Clark Synthesis TST239 Silver Transducer from PE.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-863

Ive been wanting to try one of these units out for the longest time... finally ordered one. Just thought I share you you forum guys.

Got iSCSI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post

I just ordered a Clark Synthesis TST239 Silver Transducer from PE.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-863

Ive been wanting to try one of these units out for the longest time... finally ordered one. Just thought I share you you forum guys.

I remember when I first added Aura shakers- coolest thing. It just adds another dimension and from everything I read the Clarks are a considerable step up-should be fun!
post #3 of 9 Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

I remember when I first added Aura shakers- coolest thing. It just adds another dimension and from everything I read the Clarks are a considerable step up-should be fun!

When you hooked up ur Aura shakers did you do anything special in terms of crossovers or did you just connect it to the sub line out on ur receiver?

I am using this in combination with my subwoofer, but plan on crossing it over very low, more to enhance 25hz and lower rumble / inaudible range.. I can cross higher assuming it does NOT distract me from the movie. I am hoping it compliments the subwoofer and blends in well.

The only thing that pushed me away from Aura was looking at their FR graph and the peak at about 40hz. From its past history it looked like more of a car audio product otherwise the price was right.

Hopefully buying the Clarks was a smart move, never tried them before but look promising.

Got iSCSI?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you hooked up ur Aura shakers did you do anything special in terms of crossovers or did you just connect it to the sub line out on ur receiver?

I am using this in combination with my subwoofer, but plan on crossing it over very low, more to enhance 25hz and lower rumble / inaudible range.. I can cross higher assuming it does NOT distract me from the movie. I am hoping it compliments the subwoofer and blends in well.

The only thing that pushed me away from Aura was looking at their FR graph and the peak at about 40hz. From its past history it looked like more of a car audio product otherwise the price was right.

Hopefully buying the Clarks was a smart move, never tried them before but look promising.

I just used a y adaptor off the LFE and they seen the same signal as my subwoofer. How are you planning on crossing over? Not so sure that 25hz and below is a strong suit of the Clarks without bottoming although they are rated to 15. If the transient response is good it will probably be worth running them a little higher YMMV.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

I just used a y adaptor off the LFE and they seen the same signal as my subwoofer. How are you planning on crossing over? Not so sure that 25hz and below is a strong suit of the Clarks without bottoming although they are rated to 15. If the transient response is good it will probably be worth running them a little higher YMMV.

How much higher is higher? I was also thinking of using this product at night when family members are sleeping with studio grade headphones. Crossed over higher in the 120-200hz region. Maybe higher, I figured it might add an interesting dynamic while using headphones.

My signal chain includes two pro audio DSP units. DEQ2496 and DCX2496
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1087360

The DCX is the crossover with 3 channel input stage and 6 channel output. I can mute speakers and subs for example and only allow a preset with the Clark on.

How would you anticipate the Aura in comparison to the Clarks in terms of "shaking". I hope the price premium was worth it.

Got iSCSI?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much higher is higher? I was also thinking of using this product at night when family members are sleeping with studio grade headphones. Crossed over higher in the 120-200hz region. Maybe higher, I figured it might add an interesting dynamic while using headphones.

My signal chain includes two pro audio DSP units. DEQ2496 and DCX2496
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1087360

The DCX is the crossover with 3 channel input stage and 6 channel output. I can mute speakers and subs for example and only allow a preset with the Clark on.

How would you anticipate the Aura in comparison to the Clarks in terms of "shaking". I hope the price premium was worth it.

When I said higher I was thinking up to 80hz. In terms of a comparison of "shaking" vs the Aura I have not felt the Clarks but specs would point to more full range response with less of a peak (Auras center around 40 hz) and better transient response.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a quick follow-up review of the Clarks Silver model.

I hooked this thing up to my chair and ran it full range (transducer only, no other speakers), it’s actually quite impressive, it has a decent amount of audible and tactile range. I listened to some music and played a game; feeling the bass, gun shots and everything, and still hear the higher frequencies coming from the transducer; pretty neat.

Then I crossed the unit over to about 200 hz for testing; I started using my headphones with it. This just blew my mind. The headphones Sennheiser HD 280s in full range and the transducer combo was just cool. Hearing and feeling the action was great, really added a new dimension to movies and gamming. The transducer is very dynamic; im curious to see how the gold and platinum models perform.

Got iSCSI?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Stealthlude - Did you just order one transducer, if so, do you feel that the effect was powerful attached to your chair? Also, what kind of amp are you using?

I had an idea to try Clarks TT's out sometime but lost interest some time back. I have an extra 250w subwoofer plate amp that I won't be using. Figured that would be perfect for this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Stealthlude - Did you just order one transducer, if so, do you feel that the effect was powerful attached to your chair? Also, what kind of amp are you using?

I had an idea to try Clarks TT's out sometime but lost interest some time back. I have an extra 250w subwoofer plate amp that I won't be using. Figured that would be perfect for this.

I tested with an old amp rated at 100 watts @ 4 ohms channel. It sure had enough punch to pack keep in mind the chair I used was like this one.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/1086503...fice_Chair.jpg

It's not a permanent install; I plan on putting this in my couch. I just used it since there were some existing holes on the bottom that just happened to match the mounting bracket it came with, took 10 min to get it all up and running. It has enough power to get the chairs feet to chatter when I was not sitting on it.

The final install is going to use a Crown 202D pro audio amp, it puts out about 300 watts @ 4 ohms. IMO I was under powering it using my 100 watt amp and didn't even take it up THAT high. The amp you have would be ideal.

For a 2 person loveseat, I only plan on using one transducer; it should be enough to get the point across and im sure the Crown amp is going to help.

Im sure more would be better, but I am not trying to change my couch into a massage chair the office chair I used for testing turned into a massage chair =)

Got iSCSI?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page