Need subwoofer! Sony, Yamaha, or Polk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I switched receivers and this new one uses active subwoofers so my passive one wont work

I have narrowed it down to

Polk Audio PSW10 (Most expensive)
Sony SAW2500 (cheapest)
Yamaha YST-SW216 (Middle...)

I think the Polk has the best reviews but it is also more expensive...but nicer looking. What should I get? I would like to get this today so lets do this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Whats your budget? I wouldn't touch any of those. I would look at the internet direct brands if possible. Something like the eD A2-300, or something from Epik, HSU, SVS, AV123
post #3 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemu06 View Post

Whats your budget? I wouldn't touch any of those. I would look at the internet direct brands if possible. Something like the eD A2-300, or something from Epik, HSU, SVS, AV123

I'm with Nate.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

I'm with Nate.

I agree..I came from one of those Sony's

My PA-120 is night and day different for not a lot

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work!
post #5 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
or cheap, go with the tSC ASW-8, tSC ASW-10, velodyne vx10. if you can stretch it a bit more, the PA-120 is great. The one above are great if you got the money to spend. Don't forget about the Outlaw sale either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well the polk is $160 at circuit city, I would like it now/for the weekend, but I have not quite decided...Its $120 online.

The sony is $100 and the yamaha is 130 or something. I really dont want to spend much...

I am going from a $250 Panasonic HTIB (SC-HT40 if you want to look it up) so I think anything would be an upgrade
post #7 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy_jon View Post

Well the polk is $160 at circuit city, I would like it now/for the weekend, but I have not quite decided...Its $120 online.

The sony is $100 and the yamaha is 130 or something. I really dont want to spend much...

I am going from a $250 Panasonic HTIB (SC-HT40 if you want to look it up) so I think anything would be an upgrade

Does your CC carry any of the Boston Acoustics or Velodyne subs? They sound much better, or should I say FEEL much better than any of the Polks I have heard and owned. the Polk subs I have had and heard were boomy. Not good to have in a sub.

Mike
post #8 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Well, I switched receivers and this new one uses active subwoofers so my passive one wont work

I have narrowed it down to

Polk Audio PSW10 (Most expensive)
Sony SAW2500 (cheapest)
Yamaha YST-SW216 (Middle...)

I think the Polk has the best reviews but it is also more expensive...but nicer looking. What should I get? I would like to get this today so lets do this

Where are you getting the sub, and what prices are you seeing? I did a quick look on Amazon and they're showing the Yamaha being sold through J&R music for only $89 with free shipping. That's pretty darn cheap. The Sony is $99 + another $30+ for shipping on Amazon. The Polk is showing for $115 with free shipping on Amazon.

None of those subs are high quality, but if all you're looking for is some simple boom to add to movies for cheap, they'll probably be ok. If you're really just hoping for a cheap sub that can boom I'd get the cheapest one possible. That said, if you could afford to wait and save up a bit more money you could get a decent quality sub for ~$200-250.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I know I can get them cheaper online, but like I said I kind of would like one now. Does anyone know of better ones sold locally (at retail stores like best buy) for around the same price?
post #10 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I know I can get them cheaper online, but like I said I kind of would like one now. Does anyone know of better ones sold locally (at retail stores like best buy) for around the same price?

I don't think so. There are only so many subs out there for less than $150. The three you've listed are common and probably your best choices. As for which to get, it's pretty much a tossup to me. I might be inclined to go with the Yamaha as I haven't been impressed with Polk or Sony subs, but I'd doubt the Yamaha is much better. Good luck.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

JMO but I would wait a week (avg shipping time and sometimes less) and get something better. You buy one of those, you may be dissapointed in the long run...trust me, I have been there and regretted spending money to get something instantly when I could of gotten something the same price if I would of just waited a few days.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I think Ill end up waiting. I am planning on order a few things from newegg.com tonight, if you guys could check out their sub selection for less than $150 subs and recommend one that would be cool. And just for the hell of it, could you guys link me to some "less than $150 (including shipping)" subs from other sites? Ill just order one tonight
post #13 of 19 Old 01-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Liked: 12
I have the sony SAW3000, purchased from Best Buy for $99, this is not a "great" sub but it is an amazing sub for the money. I have no idea how they can build this cabinet, finish it, and provide an amp (with crossover) and driver for this price. It's great for a computer setup, but could also work for home theatre or music, especially if you have a smaller room and aren't expecting the world from it.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random username View Post

I have the sony SAW3000, purchased from Best Buy for $99, this is not a "great" sub but it is an amazing sub for the money. I have no idea how they can build this cabinet, finish it, and provide an amp (with crossover) and driver for this price. It's great for a computer setup, but could also work for home theatre or music, especially if you have a smaller room and aren't expecting the world from it.

I buy a lot of things from Newegg also but just because you are buying some things from there don't "just throw in a sub".....Please take your time. Listen to the previous suggestions. You will not be sorry. I personally have the Acoustech BIC H-100 (older version of the PA-120) and for about $230 it is awesome.

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #15 of 19 Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 PM

SVS all the way. I don't know your financial situation but...go into a little debt and pick-up an SVS PB12-NSD. You will not be disappointed, I have one and it rocks the socks off anything you are going to get in the stores!!
post #16 of 19 Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Lol, well you quoted the wrong post...

also, I already bought the sub...asc 10 $134.97 shipped
post #17 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM

I am trying to fix my subwoofer and need help I have checked the connections and fuses .the green light comes on to show it has power but it is not working
post #18 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Liked: 12
I know this post is a done deal, but just once I'd like to see the "subwoofer snobs" keep quiet and those who can give genuine advice on which one give the advice. If a guy is on a budget of $100 for example, honor that and don't turn around and recommend a $350 sub.

I'm a beer snob. If someone posted a thread of "which is better, Miller or Coors" my opinion would be that they both are terrible but I would respect the fact that to some, a Coors is a great thing. So I would not dive into that thread telling the person the cheap domestic beers are "not worthy" and they must pick other choices.

A $99 sub is not a $300 sub and a $300 sub is not a $3000 sub. "Budget" means that's all you spend, not more. A $99 sub can open a whole new world of bass to someone who has no sub and/or has never had one.

soap box mode off.
Tom White and likemovies like this.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 PM

I would have chimed in when this thread was a little bit relevant, I started out cheap and bought the advent 12 for $99. It was a good sub for $99. I bet it goes the lowest out of all the subs suggested in the 100-125 range.

Strive for Honor!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page