BIC F12

Price (MSRP): $449/Each

Design: Front-firing 12" 475-watt peak powered subwoofer

Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz

Sensitivity: 90dB

Drivers: 12" Injection molded woofer with heavy duty surround

Magnetic Shielding: YES

Gold-Plated Terminals:YES

Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak, 150 watts RMS continuous

Impedance: 8 ohms

Dimensions: 17"H x 14 3/4"W x 17 1/4"D

Weight: 42 Pounds Each

Warranty: 5 Years Parts & Labor

Compared to Acoustech H-100

Price (MSRP): $499 / Each

Design: Heavy Duty Front-Firing 12" Powered Subwoofer, BASH designed amp.

Frequency Response: 24Hz - 200Hz (+/- 3dB) variable (adjustable crossover)

Sensitivity: 90 dB

Drivers: Heavy Duty 12" Long-Throw Poly-graphite woofer with high power magnet.

Magnetic Shielding: NO

Gold-Plated Terminals:YES

Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power - 150 Watt RMS, 500-Watt Dynamic Peak

Impedance: 8 ohms

Dimensions: 17" H x 15" W x 18 1/4" D

Weight: 42 lbs Each

Warranty: 2 Year Parts and Labor.

It seems that they are almost identical but H100 is slightly better in the specs

See less See more
#2,512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2500_100#post_22215602

Does anyone have any rattle problems with their F12?

I may just have my sub turned up too loud but thought I would get some opinions. Currently, I have the gain set to 3 and my receiver set to 0dB for the subwoofer. It's loud enough to shake the walls and sounds good but at certain low frequencies, usually sustained bass (like the ship landing in the movie Alien), the speaker will start rattling. It sounds like it's mostly the grill but may be the casing as well.

Anyone else have this problem? Should I low the gain on the sub or just lower the levels on the receiver to a negative db?

I found that when turned up, certain content would cause the grill to make noise. I usually took the grill off when watching movies at or near reference or when listening to music at or near reference.

#2,513 ·
I have an Onkyo txnr609 with montior 70s, monitor csi and bic F12. I set the gain on the subwoofer to max. The receiver sub gain is 0. When i first got the sub everything was fine. The bass was way louder. Now after I turn the receiver volume pass 50 the bass seems to go down. The subwoofer crossover frequency is 100 and the phase is set to 0. I hope someone can help me with this. This is when I'm playing music most of the time. I

#2,514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0511  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2490#post_22241214

I have an Onkyo txnr609 with montior 70s, monitor csi and bic F12. I set the gain on the subwoofer to max. The receiver sub gain is 0. When i first got the sub everything was fine. The bass was way louder. Now after I turn the receiver volume pass 50 the bass seems to go down. The subwoofer crossover frequency is 100 and the phase is set to 0. I hope someone can help me with this. This is when I'm playing music most of the time. I

Most people set the sub gain to about the 9 o'clock position. You have most likely overdriven it and damaged the speaker.

#2,515 ·
I just ordered one of these & it should arrive late in the week. I can't find a used manual online to find out if it has an "Auto On" feature. Can someone tell me? Thanks!

#2,516 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2500_100#post_22281303

I just ordered one of these & it should arrive late in the week. I can't find a used manual online to find out if it has an "Auto On" feature. Can someone tell me? Thanks!

It has Auto, on and off. I used Auto when I was using the one I have.

#2,517 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnitro07  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2490#post_22281407

It has Auto, on and off. I used Auto when I was using the one I have.

Thanks!

#2,518 ·
Got the F12 yesterday & couldn't be happier! For a couple hundred bucks it must be the best sub on the planet.

#2,519 ·
I just received the 2 F12's i ordered from amazon, 6 polk rti6's (2 for front, 2 mid, 2 rear surrounds for 7.2, got em cheap) and a Polk CSIa6 center. I cant wait to hook these things up! I am undecided on what receiver to go with. I am leaning towards a Denon AVR2312CI. Anyone out there have a similar setup? Thoughts?

#2,520 ·
Is there something wrong with my sub? I'm VERY underwhelmed by the F12. I just got it the other day. Its hooked up to my new Denon 2113ci receiver. First of all, while doing the Audyssey calibration I have to turn the sub to about 6.5 before the mic will pick it up. It keeps saying Ambient noise is too high or level is too low. After running Audyssey at about 6.5 level settings on the sub and listening to music I just don't have much bass. If I crank it up to 10, its ok but not what I expected. My house is a split level/split foyer so the kitchen, living room and dining room are essentially one big room, also have vaulted ceilings so I'm not sure how much that effects the sound. Listening to the bulit in Pandora on the receiver with the Skrillex station I figured my house would completely rattle...but not so much...even turning the knob up to 10. I have it on Pro logic like the manual says if using the sub-in input. Tomorrow I'm going to borrow my brother's 12" Klipsch sub and see how it compares. (not sure on the model, its only a year or so old and I know it has a digital display on it.)

BTW previously I had my old Logitech Z680 5.1 computer speakers hooked up to my TV via optical. Its rated at 505w(188w) for the sub (8") and I'm especially not impressed with the F12 over that one.

#2,521 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350f  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22447383

Is there something wrong with my sub? I'm VERY underwhelmed by the F12. I just got it the other day. Its hooked up to my new Denon 2113ci receiver. First of all, while doing the Audyssey calibration I have to turn the sub to about 6.5 before the mic will pick it up. It keeps saying Ambient noise is too high or level is too low. After running Audyssey at about 6.5 level settings on the sub and listening to music I just don't have much bass. If I crank it up to 10, its ok but not what I expected. My house is a split level/split foyer so the kitchen, living room and dining room are essentially one big room, also have vaulted ceilings so I'm not sure how much that effects the sound. Listening to the bulit in Pandora on the receiver with the Skrillex station I figured my house would completely rattle...but not so much...even turning the knob up to 10. I have it on Pro logic like the manual says if using the sub-in input. Tomorrow I'm going to borrow my brother's 12" Klipsch sub and see how it compares. (not sure on the model, its only a year or so old and I know it has a digital display on it.)

BTW previously I had my old Logitech Z680 5.1 computer speakers hooked up to my TV via optical. Its rated at 505w(188w) for the sub (8") and I'm especially not impressed with the F12 over that one.

i would post this in the audyssey or denon receiver thread. i have the bic f12 and have the knob wayyyyy down low at around 1.5, audyssey set it at -2.5

so i upped the sub to +3 on the receiver and that thing shakes the room

#2,522 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350f  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22447383

Is there something wrong with my sub? I'm VERY underwhelmed by the F12.

Here are the two most common configuration problems that people have:

1) What did Audyssey determine to be the sub channel level? If a very low negative number, turn down the gain (volume) on the sub and rerun Audyssey until it's close to 0db, even if you have to rerun Audyssey multiple times and turn the gain down very low. This optimizes your sub to make best use of the signal coming from the receiver. Get it to say -2db, and then afterwards, you can bump up the channel level on the receiver 2 or 3db (don't change the gain on the sub) and see if that gives you the bass you are looking for.

2) Audyssey will often set your main speakers to large or full range. They should be set to small and you would need to set a crossover for the sub to work (try 80hz).

Make sure both of these are taken care of, and I would imagine that your sub should sound better.

Reactions: SolidMGSnake
#2,523 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22447994

Here are the two most common configuration problems that people have:

1) What did Audyssey determine to be the sub channel level? If a very low negative number, turn down the gain (volume) on the sub and rerun Audyssey until it's close to 0db, even if you have to rerun Audyssey multiple times and turn the gain down very low. This optimizes your sub to make best use of the signal coming from the receiver. Get it to say -2db, and then afterwards, you can bump up the channel level on the receiver 2 or 3db (don't change the gain on the sub) and see if that gives you the bass you are looking for.

2) Audyssey will often set your main speakers to large or full range. They should be set to small and you would need to set a crossover for the sub to work (try 80hz).

Make sure both of these are taken care of, and I would imagine that your sub should sound better.

I just posted this in the Denon xx13 owner's thread, but I'll post it here too.

I just got home with my brother's Klipsch RW-12D. I also got his copy of Quantum of Solace on bluray to test out everything with the opening car scene. Watching the opening scene multiple times with both subs there's definitely some bass with the F12 (set to 8 out of 10 on the knob), but the Klipsch really blows it out of the water(its digital read out is set to +4db (goes from -35db to +12db).

After reading other reviews I think my room is just too big and open for the BIC. Newegg has the rw-12d on sale for $300 right now. Maybe I can get amazon to price match if I return the BIC.

#2,525 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350f  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22449284

Also, I didn't change a thing on the receiver's end. Just paused the music or movie I was testing, swapped subs and hit play. Listening to some Pendulum ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN_74wT03qk ) the Klipsch make me think my house is going to collapse. The F12 has a decent amount of bass but its no where close....I barely feel the couch vibrating.

No way should there be that much of a difference between the F12 and the RW-12D. There is something wrong with the BIC sub. Return it for another F12.

#2,527 ·
The Klipsch definitely has more SPL output and extends more linearly into the

#2,529 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22449732

The f12 and the rw12d should have similar peak volumes above 32hz. The klipsch will just dig about 6-10hz lower depending on room gain.

The lowest frequencies cause the pant leg shake so you may be noticing that.

Do you think it's something wrong with the F12, or more likely a setup and configuration issue?

#2,530 ·
My F12, and all the F12s I've read about here in the forums hit hard at well under 1/2 volume. 350f can't even get audyssey to hear it until he's turned it up to over 6.5. There's definitely something wrong with his F12.

#2,532 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22449968

i agree most likely an issue with that particular f12.

we had an f12 at the 2011 subwoofer meet in omaha and i've toyed with one on a lot of occasions as well as the klipsch rw12d subs.

bic f12 isn't weak in the realm of spl.

I was wondering what you thought since you have experience with more subs than 99% of the regulars on this forum

#2,533 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22449968

i agree most likely an issue with that particular f12.

we had an f12 at the 2011 subwoofer meet in omaha and i've toyed with one on a lot of occasions as well as the klipsch rw12d subs.

bic f12 isn't weak in the realm of spl.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate your help. I actually came across one of your posts on slickdeals about the 2 subs and PM'd you so I guess ignore that lol.

BTW, my friend was over listening to the 2 subs back to back. He said even if the BIC cost half as much as the Klipsch, he still wouldn't get the BIC he was so unimpressed.

#2,534 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frack77  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2520#post_22325444

I just received the 2 F12's

I cant wait to hook these things up!

So what were your impressions of the F-12 subwoofers?

I have two F-12's paired with two SVS PB12-NSD subs in my system,

hooked up to a Onkyo TX-NR3009 receiver.

The big Onkyo has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT calibration.

Audyssey did an amazing job with my quad subwoofer setup.

My two ported and two sealed subs sound and "feel" great together.

#2,535 ·
I ended up getting some furniture so I had to recalibrate my setup. I set my sub gain to 3 and ran Audyssey. After doing the 6 position test, it registered my sub at -12.5 which is obviously really low.

I ended up leaving the gain to 3 on the sub and bumping the receiver to -3.0db.

My question is should I re-run the rest with a lower gain on the sub to get Audyssey closer to 0 or will it not make much of a difference? I remember reading somewhere in the thread that you really want Audyssey to register as close to 0db as possible without having to change the gain or levels on the receiver. Does this make a big difference or did me changing it from -12.5 to -3.0 seem OK?

These things really bug me as I want it to be perfect.

#2,536 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsan4610  /t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone/2500_100#post_22458145

I ended up getting some furniture so I had to recalibrate my setup. I set my sub gain to 3 and ran Audyssey. After doing the 6 position test, it registered my sub at -12.5 which is obviously really low.

I ended up leaving the gain to 3 on the sub and bumping the receiver to -3.0db.

My question is should I re-run the rest with a lower gain on the sub to get Audyssey closer to 0 or will it not make much of a difference? I remember reading somewhere in the thread that you really want Audyssey to register as close to 0db as possible without having to change the gain or levels on the receiver. Does this make a big difference or did me changing it from -12.5 to -3.0 seem OK?

These things really bug me as I want it to be perfect.

Yes. You need to lower the gain on the sub and re-run Audyssey to get the sub's reading closer to 0. After that, leave the gain setting alone and adjust your sub (if necessary) by using the receiver's adjustments. However, many suggest that you listen for a week or two prior to making any such adjustments. You may well discover that you prefer the sound the "way it is meant to be heard".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.