post #541 of 2862 Old 09-10-2009, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

What exactly do I need for tools? I got the basics at home. Like screwdrivers, drill and bits and stuff. I can get like a soldering iron if needed.

I've never done a DIY subwoofer setup. So idk what comes already assembled and stuff.

If they send me a sheet of MDF and I need to measure and cut it etc. Then I'll probably just buy the F12 because i don't have saws etc.

Can you just buy a box already made and i can just screw in a driver/amp?

Yes you can buy the box already made and it comes with a driver and amp ready to just be connected and mounted. You have all the tools you'll need for that. Just check out PartsExpress HERE

If there isn't one priced low enough try buying an 'already assembled' DIY sub from them. Great bargain for sure...and comes with free shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2862 Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

What exactly do I need for tools? I got the basics at home. Like screwdrivers, drill and bits and stuff. I can get like a soldering iron if needed.

I've never done a DIY subwoofer setup. So idk what comes already assembled and stuff.

If they send me a sheet of MDF and I need to measure and cut it etc. Then I'll probably just buy the F12 because i don't have saws etc.

Can you just buy a box already made and i can just screw in a driver/amp?

You got to be kidding Splicer is that you ? I just can't believe that someone who is thinking about a DIY project does not have a saw.
post #543 of 2862 Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Liked: 10
If you have something to say, then say it, i can take it.
post #544 of 2862 Old 09-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

If you have something to say, then say it, i can take it.

I wouldn't worry about him...His thinking you & I are one and the same just verifies the paranoia that surrounds this thread...

Danialson99's advice is the best you will find and is very solid. If you do decide on on a F12 (I wouldn't...) For $293 or less give or take a couple of bucks you can go to http://store.audioholics.com/product...ered-subwoofer and get an excellent sub...This will get you going for $155 shipped...

Now in my opinion virtually all subs you can get for cheap need at a minimum to have the driver replaced...This certainly includes the 10" driver of the F12 which I preach and get chastized for...

There are two options you can choose from at this point...The beauty is that while one option is of course your best sounding option the less expensive choice is no slouch and will still slam the F12 in SQ...

Here is the first choice:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-490
This is a fantastic value and a great choice...Wire the dual voice coils (the F12 doesn't have DVC) in series for a 4ohm load and this will not only rock the house it sounds great too...Complete you are looking at $205 shipped...

But if you not only want to rock your house but your neighbors house AND sound fantastic and digging deeper than the original driver or the F12 get this instead:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-464
Going this route you will have a sub that competes easily with the boutique subwoofer market where subs sell for $600-$800...All for a total of $298 shipped...

Now be aware that these same drivers (your choice) will also work in the F12 should you want to pay more money ($75 more shipped???) on the sub initially and then spend even more for the driver which in my opinion makes bad fiscal sense when you can go the first choice I offered and for well less than the F12...and the satisfaction you did it yourself...you can have a sub that will spank the F12 all over the neighborhood...Don't misinterpret this as a sole slam on the F12 because it isn't...This combo will also spank the stock Dayton sub as well as spank the Polks Infinty Klipsch etc subs you can get at Best Buy and for 1/2 or more less...

The choice is yours the information has all been provided for you...

P.S...The reason I say to buy from Audioholics is because of the FREE shipping...Dayton has begun charging $15 to ship due to its size and weight so save a few bucks more going thru Audioholics...I have bought many things from them with great results and recommend them...

Good luck...Have fun...Let us know what route you choose...
post #545 of 2862 Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Ok good informative post, but....when I buy the Dayton Sub-120 which has a 150 watt amplifier, how is that going to drive the higher ended driver you specified to it's fullest potential?

I got a 150 watt amp and a basic box, but a 12" driver that can handle 400 watts RMS.

Am I missing something here?
post #546 of 2862 Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM

Well lets just put it this way...The driver will bring out the full potential of the amp...And sound damn fine while doing it...

I can assure you from actual experience with this setup that you WILL NOT be disappointed...You aren't missing a thing...
post #547 of 2862 Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you want something easy to put together but gives better results than the Sub-120 even with a new driver then take a look at this.

Basically an 18" cube enclosure with a 15" driver cutout HERE
A decent 15" driver perfect for that enclosure HERE
And the plate amp that was made for the cutout on that enclosure HERE

You'll pay a bit more than replacing the driver in the Sub-120 but you'll also have a subwoofer in a whole different class. It's an option anyway. You can choose a different driver than the one I suggested and save some money.
post #548 of 2862 Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 AM

Well I agree if we are talking DIY subs...However...at least in my posts...I include the F12 so what I post is pertinent information...

Danielson99...While you are 100% correct that the larger and more powerful sub is in another class the differences that ultimately arise from such differences, to me anyway, are not worth the added expense...But then again I am not into 15" & 18" driver subs as I don't think they are (again, at least in my life/home) neccessary for the diminished return on the investment over a 12" which is more moderately sized...

Also I gree that if talking about building a completely different sub from the ground up then that talk should be in the DIY section...With this being said I disagree with gpjnevada in that what I suggest is upgrading not only the Dayton Sub120 but also to update the Bic F12 for those that already own it and want to get the best possible results for the money they already have invested...
post #549 of 2862 Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM

Splicer just leave the thread... nothing you have to say is positive about the F12, you've made your point several times. Go flame people who subscribe to HD Cable and Satellite or something... Get out of your mom's basement, go and get a girlfriend and a life.
post #550 of 2862 Old 09-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scane View Post

Splicer just leave the thread... nothing you have to say is positive about the F12, you've made your point several times. Go flame people who subscribe to HD Cable and Satellite or something... Get out of your mom's basement, go and get a girlfriend and a life.

Not cool...My mom's dead...
post #551 of 2862 Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I notice in one of Splicers recommendations from parts express, one of the Dayton subs has,
"Specifications: * Power handling: 400 watts RMS/700 watts max *"
How misleading is that? I wouldn't buy anything from them cuz their ads are sooo misleading, do they think the consumer is so stupid? How could you possibly recommend this driver when the ad is so misleading Splicer? Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes?
post #552 of 2862 Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Not cool...My mom's dead...

Sorry bout your mom but you really have to get out, get a girl like he said. A little DATY can turn your attitude right around!
post #553 of 2862 Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC View Post

I notice in one of Splicers recommendations from parts express, one of the Dayton subs has,
"Specifications: * Power handling: 400 watts RMS/700 watts max *"
How misleading is that? I wouldn't buy anything from them cuz their ads are sooo misleading, do they think the consumer is so stupid? How could you possibly recommend this driver when the ad is so misleading Splicer? Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

Do you have any idea what you are yappin about??? Because it is obvious no one else has a clue...
post #554 of 2862 Old 09-15-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Do you have any idea what you are yappin about??? Because it is obvious no one else has a clue...

Ahh no, I do believe it's just you, everyone else knows what I was referring to. All that time in the basement has clouded your memory.
You said you wouldn't buy anything from BIC cuz they use 'peak' in their "BS marketing." Seems so does Dayton.
I don't understand Splicer, everyone who has purchased the BIC F12 and chimed in on this forum, says they like it, they love it, they're happy with it, does everything they wanted and more, myself included. Yet you continue to badger everyone here saying we've been duped by "BS marketing,' that we don't know good sound when we here it and so on... it's endless. Why can't you accept that we are happy with our sub and what it does for our systems and leave it at that?! Who in their right mind would buy a brand new, decent subwoofer, or anything else, take it apart, VOID the warranty and put other parts in it?
I don't recall any other message agreeing with you and your 'opinions' and I do recall numerous meassages asking you to just go away, guess you can't take a hint. Never played well with others huh?
post #555 of 2862 Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Ahh no, I do believe it's just you, everyone else knows what I was referring to. All that time in the basement has clouded your memory.
You said you wouldn't buy anything from BIC cuz they use 'peak' in their "BS marketing." Seems so does Dayton.
I don't understand Splicer, everyone who has purchased the BIC F12 and chimed in on this forum, says they like it, they love it, they're happy with it, does everything they wanted and more, myself included. Yet you continue to badger everyone here saying we've been duped by "BS marketing,' that we don't know good sound when we here it and so on... it's endless. Why can't you accept that we are happy with our sub and what it does for our systems and leave it at that?! Who in their right mind would buy a brand new, decent subwoofer, or anything else, take it apart, VOID the warranty and put other parts in it?
I don't recall any other message agreeing with you and your 'opinions' and I do recall numerous meassages asking you to just go away, guess you can't take a hint. Never played well with others huh?

Hell...I am still waiting on my payment you offered...Produce that and I'll leave...and stay away unlike you...in the blink of an eye...
post #556 of 2862 Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Although we should all respect each other, I think it is very productive to have some people challenge the opinions of others like in this post. It brings some validation to the topic or product as well as alternative ideas.

Otherwise we are reduced to a bunch of cheerleaders whose input is highly suspect. I guess knowing when enough is enough is the problem.

It is challenging to find significant input in the under $300 sub topic. The products are constantly changing making even three month old posts of moderate if any value. This is one of the longest I have seen and I am glad to get the input. Most of the others get dragged into a $400+ or nothing post.
post #557 of 2862 Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Twisted Sister Electronics

I am going with Beach Audio. They have very good ratings on resellerratings.com and only $5 shipping.

Both backordered now. Any other sources at decent prices?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #558 of 2862 Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 AM

i got mine from beach about 3 months ago --- at that time they too were backordered, but it only took about 4 days for more stock to come in. I would just keep checking back at their website if you haven't found another source yet.
post #559 of 2862 Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Just ordered the F12 through Beach. Unfortunately they think their backorder is 2 weeks at this point, but fortunately they are in California so it should only be a couple of days shipping time to reach me. I'm excited to get it.
post #560 of 2862 Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like TSE is selling them on Ebay, despite their store's website showing them as backordered.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #561 of 2862 Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone compared the F12 to Premier Acoustic PA-120? Are they pretty close in terms of performance/sound quality? Would one be more suitable for music than the other?

post #562 of 2862 Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Has anyone compared the F12 to Premier Acoustic PA-120? Are they pretty close in terms of performance/sound quality? Would one be more suitable for music than the other?

I'd go with the Pa-120 I have the F-12 I would only choose the Pa 120 for the cabinet. Otherwise they are equal exept for the warranty. 5 years vs. 3 years. It's up to you. I bought the F-12 but kind of wish I'd have bought the Pa it would have matched the rest of my speakers. Thats it. I really like the f-12, but i think they are basically the same for the price range. The only reason I bought the f 12 was for price $50.00 bucks less and comparible.
post #563 of 2862 Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 AM

has anyone opened up the f-12 and looked at the fill ? I'm guessing there would be room to add more polyfill if desired. Here is my situation - you guys let me know what you think.

I have the sub placed in the best place for both form and function as I can get it. It is a bit boomy (95% HT use) at the location -- along a side wall and about 18" from the corner -- BUT, if I place blankets behind the sub essentially covering up the port it sounds just the way I would like it to sound.

So would adding polyfill produce the same sound but without having to place the blannkets behind it. I can't really do that acoustic foam treatments behind the sub either because the space behind the sub is actually a door and WAF would void that idea.

So would polyfill do the trick?
post #564 of 2862 Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2112 View Post

has anyone opened up the f-12 and looked at the fill ? I'm guessing there would be room to add more polyfill if desired. Here is my situation - you guys let me know what you think.

I have the sub placed in the best place for both form and function as I can get it. It is a bit boomy (95% HT use) at the location -- along a side wall and about 18" from the corner -- BUT, if I place blankets behind the sub essentially covering up the port it sounds just the way I would like it to sound.

So would adding polyfill produce the same sound but without having to place the blannkets behind it. I can't really do that acoustic foam treatments behind the sub either because the space behind the sub is actually a door and WAF would void that idea.

So would polyfill do the trick?

Why don't you just pick up some fill and try it, let us know. It can't be very expensive and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.
post #565 of 2862 Old 09-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Why don't you just pick up some fill and try it, let us know. It can't be very expensive and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

that's the plan --- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get a "be careful when you open it up because......." type of problem. I'll post back when I get a chance to fill the cabinet with some polyfill.
post #566 of 2862 Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2112 View Post

that's the plan --- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get a "be careful when you open it up because......." type of problem. I'll post back when I get a chance to fill the cabinet with some polyfill.

Yes you should be careful. Years ago my buddy was taking his woofers out, undoing the screws and he slipped, screwdriver went right through the woofer, ruined it, bigass top of the line Cerwin Vega's. Poor guy cried right there, then he freaked out and threw a few things.
I'd like to know your results, I don't think there is much filling in the F12 if any and I too thought it might help. Let us know.
post #567 of 2862 Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Liked: 15
Finally hooked mine up. My wife yelled down the stairs "It's shaking the bed up here!"

Receiver was set at my normal listening volume (not loud at all). I love it.
post #568 of 2862 Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Stoked to get mine in, even though Provantage says it's going to be another 3 weeks : (
I decided to pair this with my YSP-4000 after reading all the rave reviews on this site over this and the H100.. Admittedly I don't know much about audio setup, what would be the best way to hook this sub up to my YSP-4000, wire wise?

My old school 5.1 system (which I'm going to use for target practice) is all ran by speaker wire and I'm not sure what the best/most current way to hook this thing up would be to the YSP.
post #569 of 2862 Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes83 View Post

Stoked to get mine in, even though Provantage says it's going to be another 3 weeks : (
I decided to pair this with my YSP-4000 after reading all the rave reviews on this site over this and the H100.. Admittedly I don't know much about audio setup, what would be the best way to hook this sub up to my YSP-4000, wire wise?

My old school 5.1 system (which I'm going to use for target practice) is all ran by speaker wire and I'm not sure what the best/most current way to hook this thing up would be to the YSP.

Not sure if I'm following you yet --- The YSP is a "sound bar" correct? Is it a receiver as well? If the YSP is indeed the "receiver" as well, does it have a jack named "sub out" or "sub pre", etc? It would look like a single RCA style jack. If so them you would run a coax style cable from the sub out to the F-12 sub in jack. If this is the case then just do a "search this thread" and enter monoprice for and example of the type of cable you will want to use.

***edit -- i looked up the YSP -- yes it has a sub out jack -- refer to page 29 of your owners manual -- you will need to tell the YSP that you hooked up a sub to it......***
post #570 of 2862 Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Is anyone interested in a new unopen box "BIC America F12 Sub "? I may have one for sale very soon as I might have one too many. I have perfect rating on both ebay & audiogon.com.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page