post #811 of 2839 Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oedius View Post

One subwoofer cable of suitable length.

I just got my F12 and want to use LFE. I have RCA cables on hand (yellow, red, white). Can I use one of those or do I need "Subwoofer cable"?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2839 Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp0924 View Post

I just got my F12 and want to use LFE. I have RCA cables on hand (yellow, red, white). Can I use one of those or do I need "Subwoofer cable"?

Thanks.

I suggest the sub cable but you can use the RCA yellow cable also.
post #813 of 2839 Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll pick one up tomorrow.
post #814 of 2839 Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 AM

Does anyone have an electronic version of the manual? I'm trying to find out what is the proper way the sub needs to face if it's against a wall. I have it about 8" away from my back wall but not sure if the driver or port needs to face away from the back wall of if they recommend the driver to face the wall.

Thanks!
post #815 of 2839 Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Liked: 17
You should face the driver towards the listening area, port to wall, more than 8" from wall would be best but if thats all the room you have, try it and see how it sounds. If it's too much try stuffing a small pillow behind the sub, I have a small pillowy thing behind mine and it sounds a little better with it there. I'm on my third and final positioning/configuration for the F12. Using a blind test, so far 3 people have been unable to pinpoint the direction of the F12's positioning, 2 actually pointed to a mid rear position the other dead centre, straight ahead, the F12 is placed at the left front, beside my left main.
New years day, District 9, It Might Get Loud and The Hangover. Just hope my hangover is gone before I watch that one!
Happy New Year all!
post #816 of 2839 Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC View Post

Why?

Just a update on why I sold both F12's. I now have two THT's.

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
post #817 of 2839 Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 PM

OMG! That looks dangerous!

Just wondering if you have watched Ironman yet with those things.
post #818 of 2839 Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

nah, watched Terminator Salvation today though....... it's just ridiculous.

I took a few videos of randon things coming to life...

This was in our laundry room upstairs.

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
post #819 of 2839 Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 PM

I hope this forum is open to dumb questions. I have a Samsung series 6 52 inch LCD TV. The sound is pretty good without any extra speakers or theater system BUT:

I have a little trouble hearing and so often set it for speech rather than movie so I can understand dialogue. I like a little "effect" though when called for say a gunshot or an earthquake.

Questions: Can I plug this subwoofer into one of the outputs of a TV like mine without a hometheater system -and- what are your thoughts about whether this will make it even harder to hear speech?

Thanks
Guy
post #820 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 AM

I'm fairly new to all this also!

I've never tried with just a TV, however the 55" 650 and 640 series seem to have a left/right analog output for sound, so.. yes!

If you take a standard RCA cable and go from the TV audio output to the input on the BIC F12, you should be all set. Make sure you set the crossover on the sub to dolby pro logic and adjust the crossover/gain to what sounds best for you. Keep in mind, that when watching DVD or BluRay discs you may be missing out on a lot of the low frequency stuff by not having a proper receiver/decoder.

I suppose the only catch here would be to ensure that the TV continues to give you audio output on the built in speakers with the RCA cable hooked up. Before you purchase a sub (especially online, where returns can be a pita), I would suggest running a test with maybe a pair of headphones that you can hook up via RCA cables to ensure the TV gives you proper output regardless of your input device (ie dvd/bluray/cable box), as I'm unsure of how you have everything connected.

The F12 is pretty loud, it'll certainly get you your rumble and shake depending on the room size and positioning, but I'm pretty sure that once you set it up, you'll find that the TV is sorely lacking in comparison! So be prepared to get bitten by the home theater bug!

X
post #821 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 AM

Quick update for my pair of F12's. Over the last few days I was becoming exceedingly unhappy with my lack of placement choices. I had an epiphany in the shower yesterday morning.

My TV stand as it was:

My TV stand post epiphany: (sorry bad cell phone quality)

Yes, those two are sitting on a glass shelf (load limit of 120lbs). I have two subdudes that should be here Monday. I plan on actually putting the F12's on their side so that there's enough headroom for the subdudes underneath.

The sound with these two subs in a proper location and front firing is AMAZING!

Thankfully, the middle shelf was not a load bearing structure, so I don't think there's any risk of my TV coming crashing down in the middle of the night.

I hope everyone gets their backordered F12's in a timely fashion!

Happy New Year

X
post #822 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARiUS View Post

Quick update for my pair of F12's. Over the last few days I was becoming exceedingly unhappy with my lack of placement choices. I had an epiphany in the shower yesterday morning.

My TV stand as it was:

My TV stand post epiphany: (sorry bad cell phone quality)

Yes, those two are sitting on a glass shelf (load limit of 120lbs). I have two subdudes that should be here Monday. I plan on actually putting the F12's on their side so that there's enough headroom for the subdudes underneath.

The sound with these two subs in a proper location and front firing is AMAZING!

Thankfully, the middle shelf was not a load bearing structure, so I don't think there's any risk of my TV coming crashing down in the middle of the night.

I hope everyone gets their backordered F12's in a timely fashion!

Happy New Year

X

That is just fantasic! You are giving me some good ideas. I already have one F12 and am planning on buying another as soon as I finish upgrading all my other speakers. I haven't decided whether to buy F12 or Denon 1910 receiver first.
post #823 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 AM

{QUOTE} nah, watched Terminator Salvation today though....... it's just ridiculous.

Air Supply.

Wow! That's too funny! All I can say is that you must have a very understanding wife. I am making slow and steady progress with mine. I usually fall back on the old tried and true "I would rather ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission".
post #824 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks XARiUS. Two kids in college so I need to hold off on the whole theater system for a couple of more years. This Sub seems to be a good deal that will give me a little "bang" for the buck. In the worst case it will sit until I have free cash to match it up with a complete system. I am going to get on that BLT waiting list right now.
post #825 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGuy420 View Post

Thanks XARiUS. Two kids in college so I need to hold off on the whole theater system for a couple of more years. This Sub seems to be a good deal that will give me a little "bang" for the buck. In the worst case it will sit until I have free cash to match it up with a complete system. I am going to get on that BLT waiting list right now.

You will not be disappointed with this sub. As some posters have said, you may just have to experiment with settings and different positions but this sub is definately more than just good for it's price.
post #826 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Tnx oedius. I had a really cheap RCA sub on my old projection screen TV. It was nothing more than a dust collector. I am excited to try a "real" one and I am now on the waiting list. Any other hearing challenged folks have some idea as to whether I will have more or less difficulty hearing dialogue with this unit plugged directly to the set?
post #827 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 AM

[quote=Air Supply;17830853]Just a update on why I sold both F12's. I now have two THT's.

Holly crap man, those things are huge! I was thinking the same, either you have no wife or she is really into HT/you! I could see that if you were going to put together a real HT and have them somewhat hidden but to be the focal point of your entire home like that... is this your final position? What size driver is in them? How many watts, rms-peak?
I was looking at the new Paradigm subs, 1 & 2, WOW, so small and SO FRIGGIN deep and loud. You can feel the hair ALL OVER your body move, my eyes felt like they were going to jiggle right out of their sockets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGuy420 View Post

This sub will give you far more than, 'a little "bang" for the buck.' When you get it hooked up you will post saying I was right. Don't wait to 'match it up' it will work with whatever you have now cuz your speakers won't have to work as hard to get the low stuff.

Watched District 9 last night, interesting but no Oscars comin, not a great LFE sound track but it had it's moments, worth a look IMHO.

Enjoy 2010!
post #828 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:

{QUOTE} nah, watched Terminator Salvation today though....... it's just ridiculous.

Air Supply.

Wow! That's too funny! All I can say is that you must have a very understanding wife. I am making slow and steady progress with mine. I usually fall back on the old tried and true "I would rather ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission".

I read a RANT of a post recently from a guy who didn't understand how all us HT loving men could let our wives run our HT lives and I say I have to agree with him, wish I could remember where I saw it.
I can't believe you guys don't stand up for yourselves a bit more, not all of you obviously, just the ones that always post that 'the wify won't let me do this' or 'she's makin me return that...' Get some kahunas will ya. How many pairs of shoes does she have? Do we complain? How many closets full of crap she never wears does she have? Do we complain? Well now and them but not like they do. I get what I want and set it up how I like it and if that's not OK, well too friggin bad! Go ahead and try and move it. Ours is set up in the main 'sitting room,' not obtrusive but 4 big floor standers and the F12 flanking a 52" Sharp and of course my little new best friend, Paradigm centre. Soon it will be 4 BIG Paradigm Studio 100's or Signature S6's or 8's. And will she complain? Hell no, she knows better. Don't get me wrong, she wears pants too but we give and take, I 'put up' and so does she. Try givin her what for next time she complains.
post #829 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I read a RANT of a post recently from a guy who didn't understand how all us HT loving men could let our wives run our HT lives and I say I have to agree with him, wish I could remember where I saw it.
I can't believe you guys don't stand up for yourselves a bit more, not all of you obviously, just the ones that always post that 'the wify won't let me do this' or 'she's makin me return that...' Get some kahunas will ya. How many pairs of shoes does she have? Do we complain? How many closets full of crap she never wears does she have? Do we complain? Well now and them but not like they do. I get what I want and set it up how I like it and if that's not OK, well too friggin bad! Go ahead and try and move it. Ours is set up in the main 'sitting room,' not obtrusive but 4 big floor standers and the F12 flanking a 52" Sharp and of course my little new best friend, Paradigm centre. Soon it will be 4 BIG Paradigm Studio 100's or Signature S6's or 8's. And will she complain? Hell no, she knows better. Don't get me wrong, she wears pants too but we give and take, I 'put up' and so does she. Try givin her what for next time she complains.

Yes. I totally agree. Really, the whole point I was trying to make is that I usually always end up buying what I think is best AND setting it up the way I want. As a matter of fact, the only thing my wife has been included in was the recent TV purchase. It was a Samsung 50" 1080p plasma and the stand / shelves for it. Actually, I went to store and picked it out. After I let her know this was the best buy at the moment, she agreed.

You should see the large bookshelf speakers I am hanging for surrounds. And, I have not completely ruled out towers as my front mains. Not to mention the second F12 I will buying in the near future. The Denon 1910 receiver may be first though because of the great prices to had right now.
post #830 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Yes. I totally agree. Really, the whole point I was trying to make is that I usually always end up buying what I think is best AND setting it up the way I want. As a matter of fact, the only thing my wife has been included in was the recent TV purchase. It was a Samsung 50" 1080p plasma and the stand / shelves for it. Actually, I went to store and picked it out. After I let her know this was the best buy at the moment, she agreed.

You should see the large bookshelf speakers I am hanging for surrounds. And, I have not completely ruled out towers as my front mains. Not to mention the second F12 I will buying in the near future. The Denon 1910 receiver may be first though because of the great prices to had right now.

What are the bookshelves? I'm using floorstanders for rears and fronts, put out some great sound to my ear but I'm sure the Para's will blow me away when I can do that ugrade. You never know what you're missing until you replace what you have with something better. My room isn't condusive to wall mounted surrounds or rears, at least until I build a HT in the basement, then it will the big Para's front and rear and the Signature ADP1's or ADP3's, the Studio ADP590's will do the trick as well. I'm a fan of Paradigm you might be able to tell and the $ look to be much better soon. I'll probably have to go with a new sub as well then use what I have in another room. Anyone else using any Para gear?
post #831 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

What are the bookshelves? I'm using floorstanders for rears and fronts, put out some great sound to my ear but I'm sure the Para's will blow me away when I can do that ugrade. You never know what you're missing until you replace what you have with something better. My room isn't condusive to wall mounted surrounds or rears, at least until I build a HT in the basement, then it will the big Para's front and rear and the Signature ADP1's or ADP3's, the Studio ADP590's will do the trick as well. I'm a fan of Paradigm you might be able to tell and the $ look to be much better soon. I'll probably have to go with a new sub as well then use what I have in another room. Anyone else using any Para gear?

They BIC DV62si. These have one 6-1/2" woofer and one 3/4" tweeter. They are 15 lbs each and require substantial mounting brackets. Also, they are rear ported and require minimum 3" clearance in back. 43Hz-21kHz and 90db sensitivity. 10 - 175 watts power handling.

I must say that I envy you with your set up.
post #832 of 2839 Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Just finished reading through this massive thread. It's been very informative. I ordered an F12 yesterday through BLT. Hopefully, they come in early. I'm going to be using the F12 as an upgrade from a Polk psw10...well I'm assuming it's an upgrade. I've been very underwhelmed by the Polk for quite some time. It's the weak link in my system. I'm curious if I should leave it hooked up and run both though. Would it actually add anything?
post #833 of 2839 Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:

That is just fantasic! You are giving me some good ideas. I already have one F12 and am planning on buying another as soon as I finish upgrading all my other speakers. I haven't decided whether to buy F12 or Denon 1910 receiver first.

Guess it depends on what type of receiver you have already! A friend of mine was holding out for a good price on the Denon 2310, but broke down and picked up a Onkyo 707 for $420 (great price) from Amazon a few days before Christmas. He's been happy with it so far.

I've been very happy with my Onkyo 606 I picked up for myself Christmas '08 (again from Amazon at a spectacular price, early bird special I guess!). I will have to upgrade eventually, even with 4 HDMI inputs, I'm already tapped out.

Tough call there. Receiver vs second F12. I managed to get a 52" Samsung B750 just after thanksgiving. My previous TV only had component video hookups. I was finally able to experience TrueHD and DTS-Master for the first time! They're both damn impressive, so if you've been missing out due to an old receiver, I'd say go there first.

X
post #834 of 2839 Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokieirish View Post

Just finished reading through this massive thread. It's been very informative. I ordered an F12 yesterday through BLT. Hopefully, they come in early. I'm going to be using the F12 as an upgrade from a Polk psw10...well I'm assuming it's an upgrade. I've been very underwhelmed by the Polk for quite some time. It's the weak link in my system. I'm curious if I should leave it hooked up and run both though. Would it actually add anything?

I think the only way anyone could really answer that was if they'd tried it. So run over to radio shack and grab a Y-adapter and try'em both once the F12 arrives! Worst case scenario, you're out $4 for the adapter. Best case, both subs together give you a flatter response!

If they sound quality doesn't improve any running both, you could always just move the polk behind your couch/seating area for a little additional physical stimulation.
post #835 of 2839 Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

nah, watched Terminator Salvation today though....... it's just ridiculous.

LMAO after watching your videos. I just watched Terminator Salvation last night with my single BIC H-100 and it was great - chest thumping bass - but I didn't see anything moving along the shelves.
post #836 of 2839 Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where can i buy the BIC America F12 Subwoofer? i can't seem to find them on stock on the bic website.
post #837 of 2839 Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post

Where can i buy the BIC America F12 Subwoofer? i can't seem to find them on stock on the bic website.

The only place I know of that has them in-stock is Amazon. However you'll pay at least $70 more (+ shipping) than what BLT (Bottom Line Telecom) is selling them for.

Even though they're backordered at BLT, there's a few people in this thread who have pre-ordered against incoming stock from BLT. I've received two F12's from them and am happy with their speedy shipping and customer service.

X
post #838 of 2839 Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by XARiUS View Post

The only place I know of that has them in-stock is Amazon. However you'll pay at least $70 more (+ shipping) than what BLT (Bottom Line Telecom) is selling them for.

Even though they're backordered at BLT, there's a few people in this thread who have pre-ordered against incoming stock from BLT. I've received two F12's from them and am happy with their speedy shipping and customer service.

X

Never heard of this website. Is it well know? Is it safe to use my credit card? i see that they have 60 incoming and -21 have placed orders. i live in NYC by the way.
post #839 of 2839 Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post

Never heard of this website. Is it well know? Is it safe to use my credit card? i see that they have 60 incoming and -21 have placed orders. i live in NYC by the way.

They have great reviews on reseller ratings and google shopping. As I mentioned previously, I've made two orders with them which went very smoothly. Many others here have ordered from them as well! With their price, no tax, plus free shipping, it's a tough deal to beat.

Past all that, it's up to you!
post #840 of 2839 Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 AM

I bought my F12 from shopblt. I'm currently waiting for another one. I don't understand why they have a $2 handling charge, though.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page