Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #991 of 2862 Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
According to that chart, no. But you should check the official Audyssey thread to make sure there is no difference in the sub filters for sure. Chris (Audyssey founder) is very active in that thread and you can ask the question if you do not find an answer by searching for it.

Keep in mind that most AVR's equipped with XT will have better components in them also.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2862 Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

Edit: The rattling isn't coming from where we thought it was. The grill fabric isn't glued on to the back of the grill in a small area. The noise is the cloth vibrating back and forth, flapping in the wind, if you will. He is going to call BIC, see what they recommend doing. If nothing, then he'll try glueing it himself.

(if anybody cares)

Thanks for the update. I always like to read members thoughts and concerns. That's what this forum is all about.

And BIC should take care of your bro, no problem. They are known for great customer service.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #993 of 2862 Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Thanks Tingham. Yeah, I had already forgot about the better components anyways. Yeah, I guess I have to do some reading in the audyssey thread. By the way the F12 started shipping to us yesterday!
post #994 of 2862 Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Thanks for the update. I always like to read members thoughts and concerns. That's what this forum is all about.

And BIC should take care of your bro, no problem. They are known for great customer service.

You're welcome, and that's what I told my BIL, BIC should fix him up.
post #995 of 2862 Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on the 3/9 shipment. I'm hoping mine get shipped out then. I can't wait.
post #996 of 2862 Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginBajin View Post

I'm on the 3/9 shipment. I'm hoping mine get shipped out then. I can't wait.

Let us know what you think when you get it. I was impressed when I got this sub months ago. My theater sound is impressive with this sub as an addition to the passive subs I have. Gave me that extra Ump I needed.
post #997 of 2862 Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 PM

My F-12 finally shipped today from California via Fed-Ex. I expect delivery on the 4th of this month. I ordered mine on 1/23 (so if you ordered around this date, hopefully you will be getting yours soon too.

This is my second F-12 and this one is going in a smaller HT, I expect to use it quite a bit so I can't wait for it to get here.
post #998 of 2862 Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Do any of you run dual F12s? What are your thoughts versus going with a single, more expensive sub in the ~$500+ range?
post #999 of 2862 Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 AM

well i think this sub sounds fantastic.

my only gripe is that i'm having issues with the sub waking up when it's on auto mode. i have to flip the switch to ON, otherwise the sub will stay asleep.
post #1000 of 2862 Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Ordered on 2/23, was pushed back to a ship date of 3/9 from Penn.
post #1001 of 2862 Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

my only gripe is that i'm having issues with the sub waking up when it's on auto mode. i have to flip the switch to ON, otherwise the sub will stay asleep.

May try a Y-splitter connect at the sub as I heard that helps waking up the sub.
post #1002 of 2862 Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Mine is supposed to ship from BLT on 3/9 as well. I ordered on 2/16. I hope to get it soon! Been dying to replace the 8-inch Polk subwoofer that I have.
post #1003 of 2862 Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post

Mine is supposed to ship from BLT on 3/9 as well. I ordered on 2/16. I hope to get it soon! Been dying to replace the 8-inch Polk subwoofer that I have.

Ordered 2/11, pushed back to 3/9 from PA. Replacing my 8" onkyo.
post #1004 of 2862 Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 PM

I have been see-sawing on this for a while and finally placed an order for one with BLT.

I'm looking forward to it if the shipment comes through.
post #1005 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 AM

Current system:
Onkyo 606
Fronts: Polk RTi8's
Rear Sur: Polk M40's
Center: Polk A6
Sub Bic F12

I got my F12 the other night. I connected it using a sub cable. I set the gain to 4, phase 0, crossover on the back of the sub to highest setting. And it is switched to digital 5.1,6.1, 7.1 I ran audyusy(sp)lol. Well it came back with my center and fronts set to Full band. it pegged my sub at 10 ft which is correct but put it at -13db. Most of my other speakers are at -4 to -5 db.
I increased the sub to -4db. After listening to it I can tell it is making noise but my towers seem to be putting out more bass than the subwoofer. The sub sounds very quiet. I am in a apartment which is somewhat small.

Do I need to abandon the audussy setup and do it manually so I can set my mains to small? Or do I have some other problem?
post #1006 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwksu View Post

Current system:
Onkyo 606
Fronts: Polk RTi8's
Rear Sur: Polk M40's
Center: Polk A6
Sub Bic F12

I got my F12 the other night. I connected it using a sub cable. I set the gain to 4, phase 0, crossover on the back of the sub to highest setting. And it is switched to digital 5.1,6.1, 7.1 I ran audyusy(sp)lol. Well it came back with my center and fronts set to Full band. it pegged my sub at 10 ft which is correct but put it at -13db. Most of my other speakers are at -4 to -5 db.
I increased the sub to -4db. After listening to it I can tell it is making noise but my towers seem to be putting out more bass than the subwoofer. The sub sounds very quiet. I am in a apartment which is somewhat small.

Do I need to abandon the audussy setup and do it manually so I can set my mains to small? Or do I have some other problem?

When set to full band the front and center are getting double bass.
Suggest to lower the subwoofer gain to 3 and reun audyssey.
Then manually set fronts and other speakers to small.
Set crossover to 80Hz and LPF of LFE: 120hz
post #1007 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

When set to full band the front and center are getting double bass.
Suggest to lower the subwoofer gain to 3 and reun audyssey.
Then manually set fronts and other speakers to small.
Set crossover to 80Hz and LPF of LFE: 120hz

I will give that a try this afternoon. Thanks for the reply. I will update later on outcome.

Also on a side note... After I had set everything up and I was rechecking the cable connections to make sure the sub had a good connection to the reciever I forgot to turn the reciever off. I am laying there on the ground with the sub about 3 ft from me looking at the back of the reciever and I unplug the sub out cable and try to plug it back in and the plug hit the side of the sub out terminal and the sub went boom it scared the crap out of me. I know I didn't damage the sub but it sure did scare the crap out of me almost hit my head on my tv stand. LOL funny....
post #1008 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Liked: 13
And make sure after you run audussy you manually set the speakers to small, most times the receiver has them at large. That should help with your bass getting directed to the sub.
post #1009 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

If you haven't solved this already, try turning the lfe-out gain up on your receiver, and compensate by turning the sub gain down. (on the back of the sub)

This will send a stronger signal from your receiver, which should in-turn trigger your sub to turn on.
post #1010 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

If you haven't solved this already, try turning the lfe-out gain up on your receiver, and compensate by turning the sub gain down. (on the back of the sub)

This will send a stronger signal from your receiver, which should in-turn trigger your sub to turn on.

AH! (light bulb goes click!)

btw got mine two days ago...replaced a sub from the cerwin vega 5.1 avs sets...very nice indeed.
post #1011 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo775 View Post

And make sure after you run audussy you manually set the speakers to small, most times the receiver has them at large. That should help with your bass getting directed to the sub.

The Onkyo 606 does not have settings for small or large in the setup menu. I figured this out after a while of looking around. Full band = large, and anything other than full band = small on the set up menu.

I ran audussy and it once again set everything to full band. I went and changed my fronts/surround/ center to 80hz. Set the lpe/fte thing to 120hz
I changed the sub gain to 3 on the back, and level db to -5 in the receiver.

The sub now has life, a bit too much life... It is more boomy than I had anticipated. I watched a few scenes of transformers 2 the end fight scene and it seemed like the sub was putting out a almost constant rumble due to various explosions all the time. Maybe it is suppose to be that way and I just simply wasn't getting those 25-35hz levels from my tower speakers...

Don't get me wrong, I like the sub but I guess I will just have to listen to it for a while to get use to the difference. It can play way louder than I need it to. It puts out more bass than my wife allows

Is it normal or am I just being picky.
post #1012 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I ran audussy and it once again set everything to full band. I went and changed my fronts/surround/ center to 80hz. Set the lpe/fte thing to 120hz
I changed the sub gain to 3 on the back, and level db to -5 in the receiver.

The sub now has life, a bit too much life... It is more boomy than I had anticipated. I watched a few scenes of transformers 2 the end fight scene and it seemed like the sub was putting out a almost constant rumble due to various explosions all the time.

Play around with the frequencies some more... for example, reduce the front x-over to 60 Hz and see what happens.

Also, pull out an old trusty SPL meter and play some test tones to ensure you're not running the sub too hot compared to all your other speakers. I mean, it's OK if it's a couple of dB hotter than the rest, but probably not more than that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #1013 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamac_man View Post

Ordered 2/11, pushed back to 3/9 from PA. Replacing my 8" onkyo.

How do you guys know what warehouse it's going to ship from? I'm assuming CA for mine because their inventory checker says "Past Due" for PA and 3/9 for CA.
post #1014 of 2862 Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I found out with the email that they sent when it shipped.

By the way we received the F12 from blt.com today (shipped on Monday from CA and arrived here in KY on Friday). We paid the extra $2 for the signature, but they just left it on the porch anyways (I think that's what I was hoping would happen so I could check it out later as opposed to having to do it right there with the delivery guy). It's for someone I am helping. I will go look at it later, and it won't be another month or two before I set the system up, so I will give my initial review then.
post #1015 of 2862 Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Ordering an F-12 from BLT gets you a decent price but expect a delay of around 30-days before you receive your F-12.

Current F-12 backorder schedule:
California warehouse: 4/19
Pennsylvania warehouse: 4/11
post #1016 of 2862 Old 03-06-2010, 07:34 AM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried running one of these in a sealed configuration? Like ummm, well putting a sock it, literally. Put a sock or two in the port, bunch them up, roll them up, whatever it takes to block the port so little or no air is coming out of the port when there is a good amount of bass. I did this to a old DIY sub that originally had a 8 inch driver that the Lion King on VHS blew up, and I went with a 12inch JBL driver, and well I think the box and port are to small for the JBL and about two years ago I put a sock it, and man totally changed the subs performance. I have never measured it but it sure seems smoother to me.

ANYWAYS, try it with the F-12, if you hate it de-sock it, lol. Oh and has anyone used REW on the F-12 in their room? I couldn't find any plots.
post #1017 of 2862 Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Play around with the frequencies some more... for example, reduce the front x-over to 60 Hz and see what happens.

Also, pull out an old trusty SPL meter and play some test tones to ensure you're not running the sub too hot compared to all your other speakers. I mean, it's OK if it's a couple of dB hotter than the rest, but probably not more than that.

I don't have a SPL meter and I don't really want to drive to the shack and pick one up

I am sure I can never get it perfect without one but right now it sounds pretty damn good in my small space. I can make it shake the walls if I want to...but I try to limit the disapproving glances from my wife when possible. I think it is blended in pretty well to my fronts. I changed the front to 60hz crossover and I think that has helped. I will continue to switch it back and forth occasionally to test if I am crazy or there really is a difference.

Thanks for the help.
post #1018 of 2862 Old 03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a SPL meter and I don't really want to drive to the shack and pick one up

I am sure I can never get it perfect without one but right now it sounds pretty damn good in my small space. I can make it shake the walls if I want to...but I try to limit the disapproving glances from my wife when possible. I think it is blended in pretty well to my fronts. I changed the front to 60hz crossover and I think that has helped. I will continue to switch it back and forth occasionally to test if I am crazy or there really is a difference.

Thanks for the help.

jdwksu, I heard you can get better bass response by raising the subwoofer, maybe give that a try. There is a product call Gramma and Subdude you can check on.
post #1019 of 2862 Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheels1 View Post

Ordering an F-12 from BLT gets you a decent price but expect a delay of around 30-days before you receive your F-12.

Current F-12 backorder schedule:
California warehouse: 4/19
Pennsylvania warehouse: 4/11

I ordered mine on 2/10 and just saw the ETA's listed at 4/9 as well. Is this accurate? It's been almost two months. Thinking I might just cancel and get the V1220 from parts express. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
post #1020 of 2862 Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What's the problem with keeping this in stock? Is it that popular? Is it just BLT?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers