post #1141 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC View Post

Can you really buy one of those from the theatre or is it more of a break in and take one at 4a.m. kind-a deal?

Man, it was was pure frustrated sarcasm. I was spinning my wheels with that guy. I think we finally set him straight though. I believe he ordered a PL-200. Thank god for that.

Glad you showed up, can you go to the PL-200 thread and help with a few questions I posted? please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just recd. this email today....

The following item you ordered is in stock:

Item Unit Extended
Qty ID # Description Price Price
--- -------- -------------------------- ------------ ------------
001 BT46359 FORMULA F-12 FRONT FIRING 181.76 181.76
POWERED SUBWOOFER
MFG #: F12
SHIP: FEDEX
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Purchase Sub Total: $181.76
Shipping: 0.00
Handling: 2.00
Sales Tax: 0.00
Order Total: $183.76

We have processed this item for an estimated ship date of today. The day
following shipment, a receipt will be sent by email with tracking information.

Apparently they got them well ahead of the E T A.

Just wondering, is a heavy duty regular RCA cable sufficient to use? Or do I need to get a dedicated "sub" cable? I have a thick, well made RCA cable already, and if I can use that, I'd be happy...

I should be receiving my Jamo 5.0 setup tomorrow or Thursday, and the sub late this week, or early next week, now the heat is on me to pick a receiver!!!
post #1143 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

....Can you really buy one of those from the theatre or is it more of a break in and take one at 4a.m. kind-a deal?

Both....I'll have my cousin Vinnie give youse a call to further 'splain it to you.
post #1144 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePMo View Post

Just recd. this email today....

The following item you ordered is in stock:

Item Unit Extended
Qty ID # Description Price Price
--- -------- -------------------------- ------------ ------------
001 BT46359 FORMULA F-12 FRONT FIRING 181.76 181.76
POWERED SUBWOOFER
MFG #: F12
SHIP: FEDEX
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Purchase Sub Total: $181.76
Shipping: 0.00
Handling: 2.00
Sales Tax: 0.00
Order Total: $183.76

We have processed this item for an estimated ship date of today. The day
following shipment, a receipt will be sent by email with tracking information.

Apparently they got them well ahead of the E T A.

Just wondering, is a heavy duty regular RCA cable sufficient to use? Or do I need to get a dedicated "sub" cable? I have a thick, well made RCA cable already, and if I can use that, I'd be happy...

I should be receiving my Jamo 5.0 setup tomorrow or Thursday, and the sub late this week, or early next week, now the heat is on me to pick a receiver!!!

Well alright--congrats!

I assume you ordered from BLT.

I never even got an e-mail such as yours. The sub just showed up one day!
post #1145 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Yep, BLT, and I just ordered it a few days ago, so I feel lucky..
post #1146 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
BLT site says they have 24 left in stock. Better hurry if you want one!

Afro GT
post #1147 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 PM

And apparently mine will be shipping from California, so I won't get it till mid next week. More time to shop for a receiver, haha
post #1148 of 2839 Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Do receivers play a role in how subwoofers sound? I just figured they would all put out the same sound since most subwoofers, like the F12, have built in amps. But since I don't know, do some avrs put out better LFE / subwoofer sound than others?
post #1149 of 2839 Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Do receivers play a role in how subwoofers sound? I just figured they would all put out the same sound since most subwoofers, like the F12, have built in amps. But since I don't know, do some avrs put out better LFE / subwoofer sound than others?

The short answer is "yes."

The practical answer is "depends."

The budget answer is "don't wanna know."

Generally speaking, a tin can + bells + whistles + more bells and whistles = one pricey souped up tin can. (Eh?) To put it another way, sound (like joy, beauty, etc.) is in the ear of the beholder.

'K, now I'm starting to wake up. Someone else (who is awake) please elaborate on the finer points of the AVR/LFE/subwoofer connection!
post #1150 of 2839 Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheels1 View Post

The short answer is "yes."

The practical answer is "depends."

The budget answer is "don't wanna know."

Generally speaking, a tin can + bells + whistles + more bells and whistles = one pricey souped up tin can. (Eh?) To put it another way, sound (like joy, beauty, etc.) is in the ear of the beholder.

'K, now I'm starting to wake up. Someone else (who is awake) please elaborate on the finer points of the AVR/LFE/subwoofer connection!

Just curious and no offense but how does a 'senior member' with more than 200 posts not know about AVR's and LFE and subs?

Any current AVR with an LFE out or sub out connection will put out pretty much the same signal, depending on the settings within the AVR's menu. I had my F12 hooked to an old piece of crap Sony AVR with 'sub out' not LFE out, (same thing), and the F12 sounded exactly the same as it does now hooked up to my Yammy. It is just a signal, no amplification involved. The cable you use to hook it up would probably have more of an effect. This is my understanding of it, more knowledgeable's please chime in.
post #1151 of 2839 Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

Man, it was was pure frustrated sarcasm. I was spinning my wheels with that guy. I think we finally set him straight though. I believe he ordered a PL-200. Thank god for that.

Glad you showed up, can you go to the PL-200 thread and help with a few questions I posted? please!!!

I didn't really see any questions from you that I could answer any better than had already been done. Let me know.

I see Sam has been lurking and bothering over there too.
post #1152 of 2839 Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Hello all! I am building a new home theater system from the ground up in our new house. Nothing to fancy. I think i will get the Onkyo 608 receiver and i am not sure what Blu Ray i will be getting yet.

I came across the BIC F12 sub on Amazon and thought it was a great deal with great reviews. Sounds like you guys do to. I am also looking at the BIC 12" down firing sub. I was looking at installing Yamaha in ceiling and in wall speakers for the surrounds but i am now thinking about buying all BIC's.

What are your guys thoughts on the rest of their speaker line? Should i just stick with the Yamahas? Thanks for any help you can offer in advance.

Matt
post #1153 of 2839 Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish602 View Post

Hello all! I am building a new home theater system from the ground up in our new house. Nothing to fancy. I think i will get the Onkyo 608 receiver and i am not sure what Blu Ray i will be getting yet.

I came across the BIC F12 sub on Amazon and thought it was a great deal with great reviews. Sounds like you guys do to. I am also looking at the BIC 12" down firing sub. I was looking at installing Yamaha in ceiling and in wall speakers for the surrounds but i am now thinking about buying all BIC's.

What are your guys thoughts on the rest of their speaker line? Should i just stick with the Yamahas? Thanks for any help you can offer in advance.

Matt

I have no experience with their speaker line up, nor have I read any reviews. I'm not sure if I'm correct but they seem to be pretty light weight. The Acoustech PL89 looks intriguing but I don't think there is any place to audition them around me. They seem to be a visual match to the F12 with their 2x8" woofers, sensitivity at 98db looks great so their probably capable of some serious loudness, "live rock band levels." 250 watt power handling, all sounds good and I'd be interested to find out how they sound. Anyone read any reviews on these? Maybe I'll have a moment to search today.
post #1154 of 2839 Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish602 View Post

Matt

There is a BIC America Owner's Thread that's pretty extensive...

XBLGT: brandiniman
post #1155 of 2839 Old 04-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandini View Post

There is a BIC America Owner's Thread that's pretty extensive...

Awesome. I will look that up. Thanks for your guys help.
post #1156 of 2839 Old 04-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Well the in wall and in ceiling speakers i found look good. I am looking at the FH-6C for the rear and surround speakers and the FH-8W for the L&R speakers.

I am having a problem finding a in wall center channel speaker made by BIC. I have looked on their site and could not find it. I sent an email over to them asking if they sell one.
My other problem is choosing a sub. I like the F12 but i like the the look of the down firing hidden woofer of the V-1220. I also like the look of the H-100.

The Onkyo 607 or 608 i will get has 7.2. So i was thinking of getting 2 V-1220's. The subs would be about 5 feet across from each other under my plasma that i have hanging and they will be set on tile. Do you think this is a waste of money? Should i just get the F12, H-100, or the PL-200?
post #1157 of 2839 Old 04-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Just received my sub about an hour ago, already have it hooked up, and everything seems to be in good working order. It is a bit larger that I thought it would be, but I think I'll like it!!! I can't believe how quickly it got here....

Watching "The Pacific" on HBO now, and the battle scenes are pretty good with this sub. I have the volume set to about 3 1/2, and it is mixing well with my four bookshelf Jamos, and the Jamo C400 center. Now I need to get some stands for my book shelf Jamos, position them correctly, and run Audyssey on my Denon 590 to see how this setup really performs. So far even with one of the bookshelf Jamos on the floor ( right front ) it is sounding pretty good to me.
post #1158 of 2839 Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi Guys, I am thinking of buying this Sub to replace my Polk 8'' Sub that came with a htib system(RM6750). I currently use

Infinity Beta 50's as Front(Floor Standing)
Infinity Beta C250 as Center
Polk RM6750 as Surrounds.
and the Polk 8'' Subwoofer that came with the Polk Satellites.

Will this sub be a significant improvement in sound quality ? The reason i am asking is, my front themselves have a solid woofer. I can buy this subwoofer only if i know that is going to affect my sound experience significantly.

Thanks in advance.
post #1159 of 2839 Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM

with the h100 still being around, is the consensus that this is the replacement and preferred sub int hat range from BIC? I am seriously considering the PL200 but want to rule one of these others out of the comparison.
post #1160 of 2839 Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Hi Guys, I am thinking of buying this Sub to replace my Polk 8'' Sub that came with a htib system(RM6750). I currently use

Infinity Beta 50's as Front(Floor Standing)
Infinity Beta C250 as Center
Polk RM6750 as Surrounds.
and the Polk 8'' Subwoofer that came with the Polk Satellites.

Will this sub be a significant improvement in sound quality ? The reason i am asking is, my front themselves have a solid woofer. I can buy this subwoofer only if i know that is going to affect my sound experience significantly.

Thanks in advance.

You will notice a significant difference in the bass, plus you'll be able to set your mains, centre and surrounds to small in your AVR menu thus relieving your AVR the work of driving your speakers full range. + +
I think you'll probably feel the little Polk sub wasn't even working at all in comparison.
post #1161 of 2839 Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:

You will notice a significant difference in the bass, plus you'll be able to set your mains, centre and surrounds to small in your AVR menu thus relieving your AVR the work of driving your speakers full range. + +
I think you'll probably feel the little Polk sub wasn't even working at all in comparison.

Awesome. Those are the words i exactly needed before i took my credit card out for another electronic purchase :-)

I have an issue even with my small sub in our hardwood floor family room. Lot of vibrations. Is there a cheaper solution to avoid the floor vibrations ?
post #1162 of 2839 Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Just curious and no offense but how does a 'senior member' with more than 200 posts not know about AVR's and LFE and subs?

Easy, tiger. I found this site about 2 to 2 1/2 months ago. I did not realize I was a senior member. So I guess I should now stop asking questions? I was completely clueless when I first started. And I am still asking questions and learning from the answers. From what I have seen 200 posts is not a lot, unless it is all in the same thread.

I have been asking a lot of questions on many topics. I really like the people on this site and their advice. If I have a quick question I usually just post it if I don't recall seeing it before, because I have been doing a lot of reading as well.

I am designing someone a home theater system, and haven't picked out the avr. I did already purchase the F12 though. So I'd thought I throw that question out there to see if anybody had brand type suggestions. But I'll probably just assume they are mostly all the same, except when I can find differences in say like the filters offered by something like audyssey.

Senior member. Ha! I need to have that changed or something. (I did appreciate your lfe comment masterbic)
post #1163 of 2839 Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Easy, tiger. I found this site about 2 to 2 1/2 months ago. I did not realize I was a senior member. So I guess I should now stop asking questions? I was completely clueless when I first started. And I am still asking questions and learning from the answers. From what I have seen 200 posts is not a lot, unless it is all in the same thread.

I have been asking a lot of questions on many topics. I really like the people on this site and their advice. If I have a quick question I usually just post it if I don't recall seeing it before, because I have been doing a lot of reading as well.

I am designing someone a home theater system, and haven't picked out the avr. I did already purchase the F12 though. So I'd thought I throw that question out there to see if anybody had brand type suggestions. But I'll probably just assume they are mostly all the same, except when I can find differences in say like the filters offered by something like audyssey.

Senior member. Ha! I need to have that changed or something. (I did appreciate your lfe comment masterbic)

TIGER? I wish I was gettin the p*@@y Tiger was gettin, and the $.
I did start with, "no offence but," guess that didn't work. Think I answered your question though.

So ya, how do I get the senior member designation?
post #1164 of 2839 Old 04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Its just based on the # of posts you have made.
I think once you get to 'senior member' you can change that title in your profile.

Regards,
Charlie

post #1165 of 2839 Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 AM

For the audio experts here. I have my current Subwoofer connected via speaker wires & not the subwoofer cable. I run 2 sets of speaker wires from my receiver(onkyo 505 7.1) to the subwoofer and 2 sets of speaker wires from the subwoofer to the front speakers. Which way yields best results ? and whats the difference ? Thanks in advance.
post #1166 of 2839 Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:

For the audio experts here. I have my current Subwoofer connected via speaker wires & not the subwoofer cable. I run 2 sets of speaker wires from my receiver(onkyo 505 7.1) to the subwoofer and 2 sets of speaker wires from the subwoofer to the front speakers. Which way yields best results ? and whats the difference ? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, not an expert. You have it hooked up 'speaker level' the other way is one rca cable and I believe that is called line level. I also believe line level is the best but frankly I'm not sure and I never tried speaker level. I just figured 1 cable is better than 2 sets of speaker wire. I think speaker level is for people with AVR's that don't have a sub/lfe out but there aren't many of those any more I don't think, maybe lower end stuff... Bluerays have a low frequency track and I don't think you would get that if it were hooked up speaker level even if you had Dolby THD or DTS MA. Maybe there is an 'expert' that will correct me.
post #1167 of 2839 Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Sorry, not an expert. You have it hooked up 'speaker level' the other way is one rca cable and I believe that is called line level. I also believe line level is the best but frankly I'm not sure and I never tried speaker level. I just figured 1 cable is better than 2 sets of speaker wire. I think speaker level is for people with AVR's that don't have a sub/lfe out but there aren't many of those any more I don't think, maybe lower end stuff...

My AVR has a separate Subwoofer out. But the Polk Satellite manual mentioned connecting the speaker wire way and i did that. Now that i have upgraded my fronts to Infinity beta Floor standing and this BIC F-12 sub, i am wondering if i have to go the Subwoofer Cable way ? Thanks for your input. But i guess someone can clearly explain the difference. Thanks.
post #1168 of 2839 Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:

My AVR has a separate Subwoofer out. But the Polk Satellite manual mentioned connecting the speaker wire way and i did that. Now that i have upgraded my fronts to Infinity beta Floor standing and this BIC F-12 sub, i am wondering if i have to go the Subwoofer Cable way ? Thanks for your input. But i guess someone can clearly explain the difference. Thanks.

AVR's are made with lfe/sub out for a reason, take advantage of it. Besides, the F12 instructions recommend hooking it up line level.
post #1169 of 2839 Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:

AVR's are made with lfe/sub out for a reason, take advantage of it. Besides, the F12 instructions recommend hooking it up line level.

Thanks man. Will do. Shopblt dot com has 8 in stock today. 183 $ shipped.
post #1170 of 2839 Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 AM

I have a pair of Dahlquist speakers (18 years old!) which sound great. My center channel is a B&W 6 series. I have a small Yamaha Sub that I have connected at speaker level and plan to connect this at line level.

I am hoping this will make a huge difference to my output. WIll post when I get the BIC and set it up.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page