BIC America F12 sub anyone ? - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #151 of 2915 Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC View Post

I got the BIC F12 off EBay from http://www.twistedsisterselectronics.com/main.sc
I guess it would be $364 + 13% tax then, you're still over $400 and I'll be much less than that after all fee's and taxes, unless UPS decides to rape me. The seller gave it a declared value of $15 though so the broker fee should be resonable. I'll let ya'all know when I get it, hopefully Thursday.
Yes the 3200 is a bit bigger and better, hell go for it and get the 3400, 14" driver, 900 peak and 300 sustained. I heard this one in my freinds store as well, really large room with 2 B&W's, Holy S#@T did it rock, as loud as front row of a U2 concert but crystal clear, increadible. I only hope the F12 is as good as the 3100. Paradigm is known for top quality build and they produce all their own parts.

Where are you ordering from? There are plenty of places in the US to order this sub for cheap. Why would you be paying brokerage fee's if you're in Canada?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2915 Old 04-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
UPS charges a brokerage fee, based on the stated value. Ya it's great here, GST and PST = 13% plus a duty fee for anything brought into Canada unless it's a gift and UPS charges their brokerage fee and finally Canada post charges another $5 - $8 bucks. Real screw job, thats why you have to find a good deal, figurte out the fee's and see if it's better than buyin local.
post #153 of 2915 Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM

The order came from Clinton Oklahoma to Toronto Ontario
post #154 of 2915 Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewow View Post

pulled the trigger @ twister group...don't know if it's an authorized dealer, but they're one of the biggest e-tailers so I would think so.

either way, shipping was decent to canada (66$) - lol we get raped - but im gonna get hit with duty...can't wait!! lol

So how much was your duty and brokerage fee?
post #155 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

So you're saying that the $364.47 price on HD.ca ends up having those same fee's and duty applied and it's shipped from a US location? Why would a Canadian retailer be shipping from the US? In the check-out cart is says only applicable taxes are applied and it has free shipping. Should equal $411.85 after taxes, delivered no?
post #156 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 AM

Danielson, I bought from Twisted Sister in Oklahoma, $170 shipping UPS, fees and so on are mine at time of delivery.
HD.ca had it on for $450 or so when I last looked just before buying, it's now $364.47 + 13% sales tax shipping included, $411.85.
So if UPS charges me a reasonable brokerage fee say $20, then I'm paying a fair bit less than I would have from HD.ca. If UPS and the Canadian postal system and/or government decide the actual value is $500 and I have to pay duty and brokerage based on that, then I LOSE! Twisted Sister did indicate the value at $15.00 so I should be OK.
Hope this explains it.
Now I'm off to find out why my Sony BlueRay player started acting weird last night, kept stopping then starting then stopping... like I pushed pause or something. Hope it's not screwed and needs repair, just updated it too.
post #157 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh I see, I was under the impression you ordered from that site in Can. Yes I would have probably done the same thing when the price was $450 but hindsight is 20/20. The price is much more appropriate now at HD.ca I'd say. Once you get over $400 very far it's almost worth just spending $600 and getting a PB10-NSD. Options options.....
post #158 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So how much was your duty and brokerage fee?

the bastards have not shipped it yet. they are saying it's in backorder?????? but when i got it, there were 15 left in stock!!!

i'm very pissed actually, but we'll see...
post #159 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Many times a warranty will be void if you purchase across the border. Even when they do send it the purchase will sit at the border at times for days or over a week just clearing customs. Now it's been handled by so many people the box starts turning into an abortion from all the wear n tear. Kinda makes ya wish you just picked up something local like a Paradigm for $450

Lets see, $175 converted to Cdn equals $215. Add tax and that makes it just under $245. Shipping will be say $70 (fair estimate) so we're at $315. Now add duty and brokerage fee's and you'll be adding about another $100 so that puts it at $415. This is the same price as getting it shipped after all taxes from HD.ca however you may pay less than $100 for your duty and fee's so in the end you might save $25 or so. Lets hope that your warranty isn't going to be void but I'm guessing it will be. It's just too easy to tell someone from another country to take a hike because there is just no jurisdiction for holding them to a warranty many times.

Anyway, I know you guys purchased these when the price at HD.ca was much higher so this is all a moot point. However it might help a future Canadian reading this thread to not go through the bs of ordering across the border.

I look forward to seeing what you guys think of these subs though. You better like them seeing that I doubt you'll be paying the $100 or more to ship it back
post #160 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

Many times a warranty will be void if you purchase across the border. Even when they do send it the purchase will sit at the border at times for days or over a week just clearing customs. Now it's been handled by so many people the box starts turning into an abortion from all the wear n tear. Kinda makes ya wish you just picked up something local like a Paradigm for $450

Lets see, $175 converted to Cdn equals $215. Add tax and that makes it just under $245. Shipping will be say $70 (fair estimate) so we're at $315. Now add duty and brokerage fee's and you'll be adding about another $100 so that puts it at $415. This is the same price as getting it shipped after all taxes from HD.ca however you may pay less than $100 for your duty and fee's so in the end you might save $25 or so. Lets hope that your warranty isn't going to be void but I'm guessing it will be. It's just too easy to tell someone from another country to take a hike because there is just no jurisdiction for holding them to a warranty many times.

Anyway, I know you guys purchased these when the price at HD.ca was much higher so this is all a moot point. However it might help a future Canadian reading this thread to not go through the bs of ordering across the border.

I look forward to seeing what you guys think of these subs though. You better like them seeing that I doubt you'll be paying the $100 or more to ship it back

whereas this is true, there is no way in hell anyone in canada can get, for example, a pair of energy c-50 speakers for 80$ or c-100s for 120...this is why, warranty or not, it's still worth it...

especially if you buy it and ship it to the states (i.e. mostly free shipping), then bring it yourself past the border...
post #161 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

You know, this is so true. Isn't it pretty frustrating having the limited selection of shopping at FS and Visions or London Drugs at the inflated prices they give Canadians? Sure there are some small local dealers but their prices are usually fairly high also.
Go online and I can find at least 15 very good online retailers with great prices, only problem is they are all in the USA. In Canada there are a couple online retailers and in general they are a bit cheaper than the box stores but not by much and their selection is quite limited. The fact is, being a Canadian leaves you to wait out selected sales from our big box stores like FS and get some polk audio or energy type speaker on sale at 50% off which in the end is still no cheaper than what the US online vendors sell them for regular price.

I'm tired of it and wouldn't mind doing something about it actually. I've been seriously considering starting an online distributorship of mostly Canadian made speakers. It's time that Canadians stopped getting bent over just because they want a decent home theater system.
post #162 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 03:12 PM

Ah Canada, it's like the 51st state with none of the benefits

Seriously though, why does your commerce suck so badly?

It's not a true home theater unless you have a projector. Oh, and popcorn.
post #163 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 PM

Well, $170US we'll say $210C, plus tax, $237. Delivery was $60C, add the duty and brokerage fee, hopefully $6 & $15 I'm still just shy of $320. Twisted sister has 'lots of experience' delivering to Canada, she posted a declared value of $15.00, says it always works and they've had no complaints. If UPS shows and the box is a dogs breakfast, I refuse delivery, if they demand $150 brokerage fee, I refuse delivery. I'll be happy if I get the unit in the door for $350, the projected $320 would be a great victory.
Already contacted BIC, warranty is not a problem, speaker is available here in Canada.
The deals online for Canadians is not nearly what it is for Americans, why... import/export rules, tarrifs, blah blah blah. Suks to be us.
Not quite a 51st state yet, still have to show my passport at US border and they are always very nasty arogant people, most Americans I have met and know on the other hand are much the same as us, nice.
ps, you're asking me why our commerce sucks? Who's in the financial hell hole toilet right now? Our banks are rated among the top in the world, it just sucks to be a purchaser of almost anything. I belong to DirectBuy and some of the deals are GREAT! No subwoofers though.
post #164 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 03:42 PM

Liked: 39
Don't need Canada as the 51st state...52nd maybe but not the 51st...Everyone seems to forget Puerto Rico...
post #165 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 PM

What about Guam and the US virgin Islands?
Ya we don't wanna be a state, 51st or 52nd, we have enough trouble with Quebec as it is.
post #166 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Don't worry you Canadians..you guys will like this sub. You're lucky you can get one right now. There is only one online dealer in the US that it can be purchased from at the moment.

I'm sorry, but I want another..but I don't want to pay more than the $196.00 I paid for the 1st one.....

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #167 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Just buy one for $175 then. It's actually available at quite a few stores, including one in Canada
post #168 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

ps, you're asking me why our commerce sucks? Who's in the financial hell hole toilet right now? Our banks are rated among the top in the world, it just sucks to be a purchaser of almost anything.

The current economic situation is pretty global right now, though the US is certainly a major contributor to the problem. But I wasn't talking about economic status, I was just curious why there aren't more online Canadian retailers and why, for a country with so much in common, Canada doesn't present as much price competition.

It's not a true home theater unless you have a projector. Oh, and popcorn.
post #169 of 2915 Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusMagnus View Post

The current economic situation is pretty global right now, though the US is certainly a major contributor to the problem. But I wasn't talking about economic status, I was just curious why there aren't more online Canadian retailers and why, for a country with so much in common, Canada doesn't present as much price competition.

You're so very right. Perhaps Canada's physical size and lack of population has alot to do with that. We're just one big logistical nightmare.
post #170 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 AM

I know buddy, no slander intended. Canada has the population of California, roughly. Therefor our GDP and imports... don't add up to much in the worlds eyes. If someone has a product to get to market they don't focus on Canada but the US - Walmart for example. As I mentioned earlier, Paradigm is one of the last here in Canada, PSB is still here and makes awsum speakers but most of their stuff is built in China.
I have an old set of PSB's and an equally old set of Advent's, 25 to 30 years pld! Both sets needed the foam surround replaced which I recently did. I have them hooked to a Sony AVR and they sound better than when I got them, I now look forward to the addition of the F12 sub to finish it off.
post #171 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

You're so very right. Perhaps Canada's physical size and lack of population has alot to do with that. We're just one big logistical nightmare.

I didnt know you are Canadian Its definitely a volume thing in Canada.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #172 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Don't worry you Canadians..you guys will like this sub. You're lucky you can get one right now. There is only one online dealer in the US that it can be purchased from at the moment.

I'm sorry, but I want another..but I don't want to pay more than the $196.00 I paid for the 1st one.....

So u have one and u like it, sounds re-assuring. I'm really looking forward to it, it's a great looking unit, some of the pics on this thread look great and the specs add up to great potential!
Just spoke with UPS and they figure $25-$30 for brokerage... I hope. Wednesday delivery scheduled... I hope.
post #173 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if any of you have used Canuck Audio Mart. It's a great classifieds for Canadian electronics, mostly HT and stereo stuff. You can find used Paradigm, B&W, Martin Logan or whatever you want. You can even just look in your area or province to avoid big shipping costs. I found a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors for $200 on there. Anyway it's a good resource to keep on file. It's right HERE
post #174 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Nice one Danny boy, never seen this site and a quick look, looks good!
post #175 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just buy one for $175 then. It's actually available at quite a few stores, including one in Canada

Where can you get it for $175.00? Does that include shipping? I paid $196.00 for the total price, including shipping, from online retailer BeachAudio.com.

post #176 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where can you get it for $175.00? Does that include shipping? I paid $196.00 for the total price, including shipping, from online retailer BeachAudio.com.

That's a great price. I don't think it can be beat, however there are other sites that have it for around $200 w/shipping. I know these are widely sold out but there is more than one retailer still with supply
post #177 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM

The price on the F12 is all over the map. When I first started looking it was no cheaper than $225-$250, then one day I saw it for $170 and '6 available.' I was all over that one like a fat kid on a smartie. I needed to check out the seller and they looked good then I clicked buy it now. At the same time hd.ca had it on for $449 or so. As soon as Twisted Sister got more stock it went up to $175, and hd.ca went down to $365. Heres the address for anyone who cares, http://www.twistedsisterselectronics.com/main.sc
post #178 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a great price. I don't think it can be beat, however there are other sites that have it for around $200 w/shipping. I know these are widely sold out but there is more than one retailer still with supply

Thanks..I didn't think that price included shipping. I'll keep looking around. I'm in no rush, so that helps..plus I have the waf to deal with if I get another.

Quote:

The price on the F12 is all over the map. When I first started looking it was no cheaper than $225-$250, then one day I saw it for $170 and '6 available.' I was all over that one like a fat kid on a smartie. I needed to check out the seller and they looked good then I clicked buy it now. At the same time hd.ca had it on for $449 or so. As soon as Twisted Sister got more stock it went up to $175, and hd.ca went down to $365. Heres the address for anyone who cares, http://www.twistedsisterselectronics.com/main.sc

Spoken like a true "Canadien"...lol. "A fat kid on a Smartie"...hah! For those of you that don't know what a "smartie" is, it's the Canadien version of M&M's...I think?

Yeah..pricing is all over the place for this unit. I have seen it from $196.00 shipped to $350.00 shipped..so do your homework everyone.

post #179 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks..I didn't think that price included shipping. I'll keep looking around. I'm in no rush, so that helps..plus I have the waf to deal with if I get another.

Spoken like a true "Canadien"...lol. "A fat kid on a Smartie"...hah! For those of you that don't know what a "smartie" is, it's the Canadien version of M&M's...I think?

Yeah..pricing is all over the place for this unit. I have seen it from $196.00 shipped to $350.00 shipped..so do your homework everyone.

Spoken like a true American. It's spelled Canadian not Canadien and no, smarties are their own entity. M&M's are also sold here and different in size etc. Smarties are popular in Canada and other European countries and are made by the same people who make Aero, Kit Kat and After Eights. They also make Nescafe coffee
post #180 of 2915 Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM

I don't know what the heck to do. I got my F12 from this site: http://www.thetwistergroup.com/produ...%20D45847.html
Supposedly, this is a top 500 e-tailer. Well top 500 my ass I bought it on the 12th of March when there was 15 IN STOCK. I am now waiting as they have not shipped it yet (what day is it??...yeah). They had no problem processing my payment within a day though!!!!

I called and they said it's in back-order? What?! I can either wait it out, ask for cancellation which may induce them to produce the item faster, or this may actually make them backfire and well, I don't know of any other source that sells it that cheap (other than this site Sound Master BIC is suggesting...). I mean at this point my credit card is about to charge me interest on the purchase!!!

This is very annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page