So... how'd I do???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a closeout subwoofer from CC... a Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 for $239!
Last one at my nearest location that was still in a sealed carton. They had a couple others that were clearly demos (no box), but the same price. Ridiculous... no discount for open box, no manual, was it used?, if so, for how long? etc...

Anyhow, the back story:
This is for my TV watching room, with occasional movies and sports too. (I have a "theater area" elsewhere in the house with a PJ and a definite upgrade in audio.) In this TV room, I have an Onkyo TX-SR575 AVR and 5 Acoustic Research "The Edge" speakers (no model #'s, just a name...) The AR sub that came with the package died a couple of years ago, so I had been using the sub from a Polk RM6750 set (no separate model #), and I really wasn't satisfied with the overall sound of this configuration. I considered replacing all of the speakers, but I realized that the sats weren't the problem at all - the sub just had no oomph! I realized that that might be 'cause it only dug down to about 45Hz... hardly a "sub" at all!

So, I decided to stop by CC and buy whatever sub I could get a deal on, figuring most anything would be an upgrade. I actually had planned on getting a budget Polk, PSW10 or such. All they had was open box/demos and they looked like they'd been beaten. I browsed a little more and found a Boston Acoustics sub (I didn't check the model) for $450... probably nice, but I wanted a deal! Then I saw a MONSTER (as in cable) THX 100 sub for $379!! Are you kidding me?!? I never knew...

As for the Klipsch, they also had a Sub-12 for $300, but my TV room is not so big, and the little Polk, although it didn't go low, was loud enough at certain levels, so I was pretty confident the Sub-10 would do the job well. Got it home, hooked it up, and at low to medium volume, it sounds really nice! It has certainly brought my system back to life. I'm sure it will respond when I get the opportunity to crank it.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Are you expecting a pat in the back? I'm confused

If you're happy, you did a good job.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont know dude, I think you are going to be listening to this thing always wondering if you should have ponied up a few extra bucks and took advantage of that other sweet deal.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysay View Post

Are you expecting a pat in the back? I'm confused

Not really... just wanted to post a follow-up to an earlier thread I had posted in another part of the forum about upgrading my speakers. Someone suggested that I just replace my sub... and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what I got. Apparently not, but no worries. I sincerely hope that cleared up any confusion on your part. Carry on...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

I dont know dude, I think you are going to be listening to this thing always wondering if you should have ponied up a few extra bucks and took advantage of that other sweet deal.

Yeah, just like I'm always wondering if I should have asked out that cute girl from my freshman writing class...

post #6 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post

Not really... just wanted to post a follow-up to an earlier thread I had posted in another part of the forum about upgrading my speakers. Someone suggested that I just replace my sub... and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what I got. Apparently not, but no worries. I sincerely hope that cleared up any confusion on your part. Carry on...

Got it. Just like I said. If you're happy with the result. You did a great job.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 AM

Nice pick up, but I got a SUB12 here in Canada for 250 on boxing day
post #8 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty good... Nextag doesn't showing that dropping to even 350 over the past 2 years. How's the performance?

post #9 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Pretty good... Nextag doesn't showing that dropping to even 350 over the past 2 years. How's the performance?

It's a good sub for the price. Lots of power! A little undefined though

I ended up selling it and getting an SVS sub
post #10 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM

It sounds like you got a pretty good deal for the money. I did not see it listed anywhere online for anything close to that price. It also got all positive reviews on amazon. But of course what is most important is that you are happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ctiveda8726-20
post #11 of 16 Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought when I clicked into this thread I was going to see a frequency response graph. As for the deal I've seen far better. For example:

I picked up a 5.1 PSB system for $400. I then sold the towers and center a day later for $280 leaving me with a pair of Image 1-B with stands and a Subsonic 6i for $120.

Model: SubSonic 6i powered subwoofer
Price: $699 USD
Dimensions: 20"H x 15"W x 20"D
Weight: 46 pounds

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...ubs-page9.html
post #12 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

I thought when I clicked into this thread I was going to see a frequency response graph. As for the deal I've seen far better. For example:

I picked up a 5.1 PSB system for $400. I then sold the towers and center a day later for $280 leaving me with a pair of Image 1-B with stands and a Subsonic 6i for $120.

Model: SubSonic 6i powered subwoofer
Price: $699 USD
Dimensions: 20"H x 15"W x 20"D
Weight: 46 pounds

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...ubs-page9.html

Gee, thanks MUCHO! (Not!) Are you trying to burst my bubble? Well, no worries, 'cause you can't!

Obviously, you're a bit of a wheeler and a dealer... Here's what I needed: a quick and easy replacement for an inadequate sub (as far as I was concerned... c'mon, it went ALL the way down to 45Hz). This is in my family room, not really a "theater." So, I wanted to drive to a B&M store, run in and grab a deal, get home and plug it in. There aren't too many places around me where you can even buy a subwoofer...

1. Best Buy
2. Tweeter (Gone.)
3. Circuit City (Going, going...)

Except for a couple of high-end stores, and some big box stores that sell HTIB, we really don't have many choices... sad, really.

Sounds like you ran into a really good deal and made it even better. Anyhow, this Sub-10 is really holding its own and actually sounds quite good within my system... we watched 24 tonight and it definitely pounded a couple of times! Little, old sub wouldn't have done that.

However, this Klipsch Sub-10 does know where it stands in the household. We watched a movie last night on our other system, and when the Sub-10 heard my MFW-15 hammering away, it ran into the corner, put itself into standby, and I think it might have peed on the floor... (True story.) You know what I'm talking about MUCHO!

post #13 of 16 Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 PM

Nice deal mdaudioguy. It's a good sub down to about 28 to 30hz and has good output. Klipsch makes a good product and there subs are much better than they used to be. There a little overpriced but considering the price you got yours at it's great deal.

Enjoy your sub !!!
post #14 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gee, thanks MUCHO! (Not!) Are you trying to burst my bubble? Well, no worries, 'cause you can't!

Obviously, you're a bit of a wheeler and a dealer...

Yeah I was just trying to give you a bit of crap.

To get my deal I was obsessively searching Craigslist for about 45 days straight. Of course much like the DIY crowd I did not factor this time in my cost. If you do factor in the hours I spent your deal is probably better.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

For the record, I calibrated this little sub this evening - Klipsch Sub-10 - and I'm very pleased! I only had to set the gain to about 10:00 in order to get it balanced at 0 on Audyssey (i.e. no +/- adjustment). Double checked with an SPL meter and tried a few DVDs. It turned out to be a great deal more performance than I was expecting. Like I said, this is mostly for TV and some sports with occasional movies, so I think I will just go ahead and pat myself on the back.

post #16 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I just sold a Klipsch 12" for a 150. Purchased a SV PB13 Ultra to replace it.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page