Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1402 Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper99 View Post

The LFE level goes from -20 to 0 which is where I have it at.I tried the crossover set at 120hz and it sounds better.Shouldnt it be the other way around?

I would go lower than 120 with the front speakers. Polk says 42hz, so I would run them as low as you can to help fill in. I run mine at 60 and they don't seem strained at all. And I meant less stress on the amp in the sub, not the receiver amp. Boost the signal to the sub, not actually increase the volume/power on the subs amp. At least that makes sense to me. May be way off base, I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1402 Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Liked: 10
I am going with the Polk Monitor 70's and I've asked also asked in another thread, if my room is about 25H x 16L x 11H, do you guys think one PL-200 sub will fill the room? Or do I need two?

dja2k
post #303 of 1402 Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:

The LFE level goes from -20 to 0 which is where I have it at.I tried the crossover set at 120hz and it sounds better.Shouldnt it be the other way around?

OK mr pronoun, how about you rewrite that so it makes sense?

XBLGT: brandiniman
post #304 of 1402 Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandini View Post

OK mr pronoun, how about you rewrite that so it makes sense?

The LFE level goes from -20 to 0 which is where I have it at (0).

I had the crossover set to 80hz then as I went higher the sub got louder and the mains weren't putting out very much bass.If I lower the crossover setting to 40hz,the mains put out more bass and the sub doesn't.I now have the crossover set to 80 again and it sounds much better cause I adjusted the EQ on each main to put out a little more bass.I hope this is making some kind of sense cause im typing half asleep so please excuse me.
post #305 of 1402 Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:

The LFE level goes from -20 to 0 which is where I have it at (0).

I had the crossover set to 80hz then as I went higher the sub got louder and the mains weren't putting out very much bass.If I lower the crossover setting to 40hz,the mains put out more bass and the sub doesn't.I now have the crossover set to 80 again and it sounds much better cause I adjusted the EQ on each main to put out a little more bass.I hope this is making some kind of sense cause im typing half asleep so please excuse me.

I gotcha, you're fighting balancing the sub vs the mains. I have it easy having bookshelf fronts so 90 for me sounds great (6.5" woofers on em). Just tinker until you forget about it and then you won't even realize that you're happy with the setting but you are. (I had to check my crossover setting since I had forgotten what i set it at I just know I'm happy with it!

post #306 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 AM

I just got mine and a I was kind of underwhelmed. I expected it to sound alot more louder then it did.
post #307 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

I just got mine and a I was kind of underwhelmed. I expected it to sound alot more louder then it did.

Well if you just got it, you need to play with it some more to get everything sounding right. It won't sound right, right out of the box.
post #308 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Was it not good? I was about to pull the trigger on this sub this weekend.
post #309 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM

There are none on Amazon or Ebay. Just called Sound Distributers, and they said they are out of stock for about two weeks .
post #310 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

It for sure shakes stuff, I'm not really sure why I say I'm underwhelmed. I guess I was just expecting unrealistic SPL and chest crushing bass out of a 12'' $300 subwoofer. For the money though, I'm 100% satisfied. I'm for sure glad I went with the PL-200 and not cheaped out and went with the PA-120 or F12 like I nearly did. I know neither of them would have compared, and I surely would have been underwhelmed. I'm not sure how much faith I put into "breaking in" a speaker, but I will for sure give it a few days at least before I start really cranking on it. I can see how maybe the surround would soften up, since it feels a bit stiff and new right now, so it may free up a bit after a week or two of use. I went to 12 o'clock on the volume with the receiver at a comfortably high listening level and it was almost too much bass, leaning over the sub the sound waves were covering up and distorting everything else so it sounded like I was listening through a fan or something It's in the corner of the room right now, and seems to be a bit more powerful sounding, when I first set it up it was beside the TV, about 2' from the wall. I'll report back with more tomorrow after a day of tuning.

Also, not really a complaint, but I find it very hard to listen to a movie or play a game at low levels without getting up and turning down the sub. If I was trying to avoid waking up people anyway, if not, I could carry on as usual. Even now with my receiver at very low volumes, the bass is strong enough to be heard throughout the house. The "night" mode button doesn't do what I thought it did I guess.

I'm glad I read this since I was about to order the F-12 since it's $100 cheaper, but I really want the PL-200. Has anyone owned both and compared them?

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #311 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Well if you just got it, you need to play with it some more to get everything sounding right. It won't sound right, right out of the box.

YOUR ARE RIGHT the more i play it the better it sounds.. I been trying to tune it as accurate as possible this thing sounds great no dought this is a great subwoofer wow do i love it music i give it a 7 out of 10 .. Movies/games 9/10.. I didnt even own this thing for 24 hours so i have to let it break in more cant wait to get this set up right so I can hear it at its best I love it ill take pictures and post them
post #312 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

I'm glad I read this since I was about to order the F-12 since it's $100 cheaper, but I really want the PL-200. Has anyone owned both and compared them?

Read the thread I was in the same boat as you...
post #313 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:

YOUR ARE RIGHT the more i play it the better it sounds.. I been trying to tune it as accurate as possible this thing sounds great no dought this is a great subwoofer wow do i love it music i give it a 7 out of 10 .. Movies/games 9/10.. I didnt even own this thing for 24 hours so i have to let it break in more cant wait to get this set up right so I can hear it at its best I love it ill take pictures and post them

I've had mine for something like 2 weeks and I'm still tinkering with my settings trying to get it as perfect as I can without EQ. I'd give mine about the same rating as you, maybe 7 out of 10 for the music end, and something near a 9 out of 10 for everything else. It really handles the rumbling for movies and games. Music is slightly underwhelming, but I think after this, I really prefer 2 channel listening anyway. Even though my Monitor 60's don't give me quite enough bass, it at least sounds clearer that way. And in reality, most music doesn't need the kind of bass a sub can supply. The bass really takes away from everything else.
post #314 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I've had mine for something like 2 weeks and I'm still tinkering with my settings trying to get it as perfect as I can without EQ. I'd give mine about the same rating as you, maybe 7 out of 10 for the music end, and something near a 9 out of 10 for everything else. It really handles the rumbling for movies and games. Music is slightly underwhelming, but I think after this, I really prefer 2 channel listening anyway. Even though my Monitor 60's don't give me quite enough bass, it at least sounds clearer that way. And in reality, most music doesn't need the kind of bass a sub can supply. The bass really takes away from everything else.

same here
post #315 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I'm going to use the Audyssey on my Denon 2310 to get things right. I guess I have to wait 2 weeks until they're back in stock. I can't wait to get it.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #316 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by integ3 View Post

There are none on Amazon or Ebay. Just called Sound Distributers, and they said they are out of stock for about two weeks .

I ordered on Tuesday from Acoustic Sound Design, got a great price and it shipped on Wednesday.
post #317 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 PM

I have an extra one that someone can have at my cost ($279) if they are near izp 60543. pm me if you would like to.
Best,
chris
post #318 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well my plan was to break the sub in a little bit before putting in LOTR on blu-ray but I just couldn't wait. I watched FOTR and I must say that even without it being broken in, the sub sounded great. Very very strong bass and I only had it turned up to about 11pm on the volume dial. I may go back and revisit LOTR after it's been broken in but so far I love what I hear. Oh and Sam this is for you, my feet were vibrating the whole time. This sub really shakes things up.
post #319 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 PM

I received my Pl-200 right on time and I'm happy about it. It looks very styly and shockingly well constructed.
One quick question, I removed the cover and found the foam edge bending towards inside near the screw.(to make the room of screw) And the glue feels soft when I press it. Is it normal? I think if I have patience I will finish it better than them.

I don't have the right wire to connect it to my receiver so that I can't comment on the performance. It bothers me even it sounds perfectly because of the inperfect finish for the foam edge.
post #320 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

Well my plan was to break the sub in a little bit before putting in LOTR on blu-ray but I just couldn't wait. I watched FOTR and I must say that even without it being broken in, the sub sounded great. Very very strong bass and I only had it turned up to about 11pm on the volume dial. I may go back and revisit LOTR after it's been broken in but so far I love what I hear. Oh and Sam this is for you, my feet were vibrating the whole time. This sub really shakes things up.

NOT 11PM!!! You're supposed to use the AM settings! I still keep mine at about 10, because anything above that on mine sounds like it's putting a bit too much stress on it, and maybe like it's bottoming out. It will do 11 on some stuff though. My receiver LFE setting is always +8 or 10dB, depending on my bass mood. Might be why.
post #321 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 PM

dude i turned mine all the way up the second I got it lol.. I am waiting on a new receiver I got a peace of junk sony and i am using the speaker inputs and out wires to hook it up so hopefully a LFE output on my new amp well sound alot better then this speaker wire lol Do you think it well sound better with a LFE hook up rather then the speaker wire hook up??.. One question is it okay that i turn it up all th way, Can I Blow the speaker?????? it does not sound bad or bottom out at all sounds really good?
post #322 of 1402 Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:

dude i turned mine all the way up the second I got it lol.. I am waiting on a new receiver I got a peace of junk sony and i am using the speaker inputs and out wires to hook it up so hopefully a LFE output on my new amp well sound alot better then this speaker wire lol Do you think it well sound better with a LFE hook up rather then the speaker wire hook up??.. One question is it okay that i turn it up all th way, Can I Blow the speaker?????? it does not sound bad or bottom out at all sounds really good?

like... all the way? I don't know, maybe the input you are using is different, but if I turned mine all the way up I would imagine it would take about 2 or 3 big explosions in a movie and it would separate the driver from the surround. Or burn something out. Considering mine is less than half way and makes enough bass, I don't see needing to crank it all the way. The receiver or signal really shouldn't matter though, unless it is somehow reducing the signal, like -db.
post #323 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:

like... all the way? I don't know, maybe the input you are using is different, but if I turned mine all the way up I would imagine it would take about 2 or 3 big explosions in a movie and it would separate the driver from the surround. Or burn something out. Considering mine is less than half way and makes enough bass, I don't see needing to crank it all the way. The receiver or signal really shouldn't matter though, unless it is somehow reducing the signal, like -db.

Yea i crank the knob all the way up on the back of the subwoofer to the MAX and it pounds I dont really turn my reciver all the way up so i geuss its not technically all the way up.. Would I notice if I Blew something, Or damaged the speaker in anyway? How would I know if it is -db ?
post #324 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:

Yea i crank the knob all the way up on the back of the subwoofer to the MAX and it pounds I dont really turn my reciver all the way up so i geuss its not technically all the way up.. Would I notice if I Blew something, Or damaged the speaker in anyway? How would I know if it is -db ?

Just use a little common sense and you should be fine. If it starts sounding like it's not happy with being played with that hard, back down the volume a bit. It might start sounding flat, stop producing good power when up that high and will begin to "bottom out" and you will be able to hear it. It will just sound weird. I use the 1'' excursion rule, watch the driver, and if it looks like it's traveling more than 1'' total (in and out combined) then it's right about at its max. Anything more than that and sound quality will suffer.
post #325 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 05:44 AM

has anyone had one of these shipped to Canada, if so how much were the duty and shipping costs.
ELIE BARNES 3 likes this.
post #326 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:

NOT 11PM!!! You're supposed to use the AM settings! I still keep mine at about 10, because anything above that on mine sounds like it's putting a bit too much stress on it, and maybe like it's bottoming out. It will do 11 on some stuff though. My receiver LFE setting is always +8 or 10dB, depending on my bass mood. Might be why.

Put LFE at 0 and use the sub knob, you're probably maxing out the signal not the sub.

post #327 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Put LFE at 0 and use the sub knob, you're probably maxing out the signal not the sub.

I don't seem to have an adjustment for LFE on my receiver. Just the adjustment for the sub volume level. Is there something i'm missing?
post #328 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

I don't seem to have an adjustment for LFE on my receiver. Just the adjustment for the sub volume level. Is there something i'm missing?

probably, but you have to have a sub out on your receiver, and not be using the speaker level inputs.

post #329 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

probably, but you have to have a sub out on your receiver, and not be using the speaker level inputs.

Correct, that's what i'm using.
post #330 of 1402 Old 04-10-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Correct, that's what i'm using.

If you don't have an LFE setting on your receiver you can't max it out then can you?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page