BIC Acoustech H200 Subwoofer (AKA PL-200) - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1405 Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
These little guys rock for the money, I've replaced a plate amp or two and they turn around fine...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Multi sub Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Garage Audio !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1405 Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well turns out the PL200 I picked up on 6/19/11 is now non-functional. I absolutely love it but I sure hope this isn't something common. I contacted BIC and the place where I bought it to find out what I'm supposed to do. I'm going to assume it's an amp issue as it still lights up and the fuse is fine but it won't do anything beyond that... sigh.
post #1143 of 1405 Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextar View Post

Well turns out the PL200 I picked up on 6/19/11 is now non-functional. I absolutely love it but I sure hope this isn't something common. I contacted BIC and the place where I bought it to find out what I'm supposed to do. I'm going to assume it's an amp issue as it still lights up and the fuse is fine but it won't do anything beyond that... sigh.

Hi Dextar, its possible that a wire came off at the speaker terminal. If you are able to ... carefully remove the speaker and check its connections.
post #1144 of 1405 Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Dextar, its possible that a wire came off at the speaker terminal. If you are able to ... carefully remove the speaker and check its connections.

I emailed the company and they told me to remove the amp and ship it back and they will repair it and send it back. When I did this I checked all the connections and everything looked fine.. I'm really surprised with a 1000watt amp they don't have a grounded power cable.
post #1145 of 1405 Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Anyone having a problem with their ON/AUTO/OFF feature ? My PL-200 is always "ON",when I have it set in the "AUTO" position. The red/green indicator light used to go from green to red after I turned the reciever off. It no longer goes back to red/off. It's been like this for a few weeks. Is this going to cause a problem or burn something up in the sub ? I've been meaning to log in here and ask.. The sub still seems to work fine acoustically.

Thanks.
post #1146 of 1405 Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahhyes68 View Post

Anyone having a problem with their ON/AUTO/OFF feature ? My PL-200 is always "ON",when I have it set in the "AUTO" position. The red/green indicator light used to go from green to red after I turned the reciever off. It no longer goes back to red/off. It's been like this for a few weeks. Is this going to cause a problem or burn something up in the sub ? I've been meaning to log in here and ask.. The sub still seems to work fine acoustically.

Thanks.

I have not had any problems with mine.

I wouldn't think this would cause a problem, but it may wear out the amp faster.

Before you send it in, be sure it's not your receiver. If you have another receiver, see if it stays on when it turns off too. I would guess it's your PL-200, but it's best to be sure. Try removing the signal cable and see what that does.

Let us know what you decide to do.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #1147 of 1405 Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Have you tried turning the amp off, unplugging it, then plugging it back in and turning it back on (or to auto)?
post #1148 of 1405 Old 02-02-2012, 12:06 PM

I don't have another reciever to try but I did try a few things.

1) I turned the switch to off and unplugged the power and the audio cable. Plugged both back in and switched to auto, green light came back on.

2) I turned the switch back to off and unplugged the power and the audio cable. I plugged the power back in w/o the audio cable and switched it to auto. The green light came on.

*EDIT*

I just got off the phone with BIC and the gentleman said it sounded like a sensor had gone bad. He asked if I could hear any faint sound from it as it sits, gin auto, green light on, no reciever input,
which I cannot. He said it was probably damages since there isn't any sound at all. He is sending me info regarding how to disassemble it and send them the parts to be repaired free of charge. I will
have to pay for shipping there but... no big deal. Hopefully their turnaround time is good.

I'll post back when I know more and thanks guys.
post #1149 of 1405 Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I don't have another reciever to try but I did try a few things.

1) I turned the switch to off and unplugged the power and the audio cable. Plugged both back in and switched to auto, green light came back on.

2) I turned the switch back to off and unplugged the power and the audio cable. I plugged the power back in w/o the audio cable and switched it to auto. The green light came on.

Can you guys suggest anything else ?

I can't think of anything else. Try contacting BIC to see if they have any suggestions.
post #1150 of 1405 Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM

]Hi I have a PL-200 sub. I like it alot. My question and/or concern is that the closer I go to reference level the weaker the sub output is. Is this common? There is no distortion what so ever. The output just decreases. At lower volumes this thing hits u in the chest. At higher the response goes away? Should I contact bic? Thanks for any advice in advance.

-Bryan
post #1151 of 1405 Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM

I stopped in to say thanks for all of those that gave advice on the various subs. I bought a PL200 for my son's game room and this thing is the ticket! You see this game room is his wish through the Make A Wish program for kids with life threatening illnesses. I wanted this to be as good as I could afford and he will be blown away at the sound! The presentation is this Saturday and he has no idea what to expect! I creeped the whole thread and read every post! Thanks everyone that participated and gave real life accounts of your experience! Best regards, Tim
post #1152 of 1405 Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels2626 View Post

I stopped in to say thanks for all of those that gave advice on the various subs. I bought a PL200 for my son's game room and this thing is the ticket! You see this game room is his wish through the Make A Wish program for kids with life threatening illnesses. I wanted this to be as good as I could afford and he will be blown away at the sound! The presentation is this Saturday and he has no idea what to expect! I creeped the whole thread and read every post! Thanks everyone that participated and gave real life accounts of your experience! Best regards, Tim

Wow, now if that does not give you the warm fuzzies, then you are without a soul and as cold-hearted as the Devil himself.

On that note, I am sure I don't just speak for myself here, but we are very happy to have helped in such a noble cause.

Also if this act ends out becoming a news story in any publication and you find out about it please post a followup on this, I would be very interested in knowing more.
post #1153 of 1405 Old 02-21-2012, 02:32 PM

+1 ^^^^

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
post #1154 of 1405 Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels2626 View Post

Wow....I don't think I could handle reading an update about his reaction when he walks into his game room. This kind of stuff touches me too much and I release too many tears....I hope he has the time of his life !!!!

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #1155 of 1405 Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM

I just wanted to let people know, so I posted above about my amp going dead and about shipping it out to BIC. I shipped it out Jan. 31st, the received it on Feb. 6th and I've still (3/15/12) have yet to get my amp back. I sent an email inquiring about the status of my amp on 2/29/12 I got back an email from a gentleman named Fred who said it generally takes 10-15 business days after they receive the amp to get to the "front of the queue".

So I wanted to make sure it had been out long enough and it was 17 business days from when they received my amp for repair. I sent an email back to Fred (bicamericaservice@metrocast.net) on 3/8/12 (I had to find the tracking slip) letting him know it had now been 23 business days and I was curious of the status of my repair as I've yet to get it back and have no information of what's going on. As of 3/14/12 they still had not responded to my email inquiry of the status of my amp so I sent them ANOTHER email and I've yet to get a response to that one (it's only been one business day though but the one sent on 3/8/12 has yet to be responded to either).

I paid 279 dollars for a sub only to be unlucky and have it go out within six months and I've now been without a sub since mid January and it's EXTREMELY frustrating to be ignored by their customer service. Works great when you have it but just hope you don't have any problems with it causing you to send your amp in for repairs.

This sub worked awesome for me when it was working but the lack of customer service has me wondering if I should have invested a bit more and bought one of the other "budget" subs.
post #1156 of 1405 Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 AM

I would like to note I sent out my amp on Feb 6th as my post above says and did not receive a replacement or fixed amp until March 26th. My subwoofer is STILL not working and my emails are going unanswered from support and the gentleman who works at their "tech support" has been extremely unhelpful as when I called about my amp he had no idea what was going on, I asked him when he finds out about it if he could please email me so I know what's going on (I didn't mind waiting if they needed parts shipped in or something, I was extremely patient) and about a week later I got an email from UPS saying I was getting a package from them.

I'm not quite sure if quality has gone down or what but after this experience I would avoid all BIC products like the plague. You get what you pay for I guess..
post #1157 of 1405 Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM

I would never avoid BIC like the plague, almost everything I own is BIC and I've heard nothing but raves from the people that watch movies in my theatre. Keep calling them.
post #1158 of 1405 Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 12
Justed wanted to chime in as I have been a proud owner of two of these subs for a couple of weeks and can't stop watching movies on these bad boys. I have been looking to do a first dual sub setup for awhile, and now that I have to space to do it I went ahead and pull the trigger on these after going through countless threads and multiple reviews. I do 75% movies and 25% music. I know a lot of people are not impressed with the music side of these things I must say I am very please for what I paid for. On the movie side of the house these things are amazing I am hearing new lows and my whole townhouse is shaking!!! I am afraid I am going to piss off my new neighbors lol. Before my other HT system was stolen I had a 15" inch DefTech sub that was amazing, and I must say they are making that sub look like a wimp with movies, but miss it on the music side as the bass was very tight and clean on that sub. Right now I am running a 3.2 setup as I have not figure out what I am going to run as my surrounds. I currently have DefTech Mythos 5's as fronts and an 8 as my center with an Onkyo 709. I am currently looking at the Mythos 1's to replace the fronts and might place the 5's in the rear for a 5.2 setup not sure yet. But overall very pleased and if anyone is on the fence on these don't be, get them you won't be disappointed.
LL

post #1159 of 1405 Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM

I'm surprised they aren't overpowering those towers you are using.
post #1160 of 1405 Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman24 View Post

.... I am very pleased for what I paid ....

Thats the thing about this sub, amazing value. Every review I've seen says the same and I'm in total agreement, I love mine.
post #1161 of 1405 Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Attachment 243743

Attachment 243744I have had mine for about 18 months and they are still going strong. I have had no issues with loose wires or amp problems. For the money I paid, these subs are a great value. I have them running with 2 Klipsch RW-12d subs and they blend very well together.
LL
LL

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #1162 of 1405 Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

I'm surprised they aren't overpowering those towers you are using.

Nope I thought the same thing but they work great together. I thought the center channel would be the one overpowering my towers but I plan on updating the towers soon hopefully, this is such an expensive hobby.

post #1163 of 1405 Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 AM

My friend is stationed at Hickam.

I convinced him to get the whole PL-89 system w/PL200. I guess shipping was a bit much, but he's very happy.
post #1164 of 1405 Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

My friend is stationed at Hickam.

I convinced him to get the whole PL-89 system w/PL200. I guess shipping was a bit much, but he's very happy.

Yeah shipping is no joke over here, I can't even use my Amazon Prime account over here with the free two day shipping I have to use USPS super saver and sometimes that is not free or cheap.

post #1165 of 1405 Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Liked: 11
Proud new owner of the PL-200 and this thing rocks hard for a 250 watt sub! I can't imagine other subs at 1000+ watts and how they would feel. I'm coming from an Onkyo HTIB sub. This PL-200 is far beyond better than it.

But like other reviews I see, this one ain't great for music. Sounds a little muddy as if it can't keep up with the fast bass heavy tracks. My Onkyo sub was smaller (7inch) and the bass sounded tighter to me...but it just wasn't powerful enough for my taste. I will rarely will use the BIC for music though as I am a tv/movie watcher. Glad I got this over the BIC F12.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #1166 of 1405 Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Question here....since my receiver does not do MultiEQ, should I be using the crossover on the sub woofer? Maybe this will make music sound better.

Receiver is a Onkyo NR609.

Speakers:

post #1167 of 1405 Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeyayo50 View Post

Question here....since my receiver does not do MultiEQ, should I be using the crossover on the sub woofer? Maybe this will make music sound better.

Receiver is a Onkyo NR609.

Never had an Onkyo, but from what I can tell, MultiEQ is room calibration and not a subwoofer setting. On the receiver, just tell it you are using a subwoofer and set the crossover frequency accordingly, probably 80hz or somewhere close. To answer your question, you set the PL-200 crossover switch to 'Out' since directing the low frequencies will be handled by the receiver that is 'Out'side the subwoofer cabinet and you don't want the crossover 'In'side the PL-200 duplicating efforts and possibly causing unwanted effects. You know, the PL-200 does come with a manual that explains this.

I don't think there is any setting that will make music sound "better" on the PL-200. The people who complain about its performance for music cite things that can only be solved by using a different sub altogether.
post #1168 of 1405 Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller542 View Post

Never had an Onkyo, but from what I can tell, MultiEQ is room calibration and not a subwoofer setting. On the receiver, just tell it you are using a subwoofer and set the crossover frequency accordingly, probably 80hz or somewhere close. To answer your question, you set the PL-200 crossover switch to 'Out' since directing the low frequencies will be handled by the receiver that is 'Out'side the subwoofer cabinet and you don't want the crossover 'In'side the PL-200 duplicating efforts and possibly causing unwanted effects. You know, the PL-200 does come with a manual that explains this.

I don't think there is any setting that will make music sound "better" on the PL-200. The people who complain about its performance for music cite things that can only be solved by using a different sub altogether.

On my receiver there is no setting for subwoofer crossover. There is only a setting for LFE. Music tracks from an iPod dont use LFE i believe. For anyone with MultiEQ, do you have a crossover setting specifically for subwoofer in your receiver?

Onkyo 609

Speakers:

post #1169 of 1405 Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeyayo50 View Post

On my receiver there is no setting for subwoofer crossover. There is only a setting for LFE. Music tracks from an iPod dont use LFE i believe. For anyone with MultiEQ, do you have a crossover setting specifically for subwoofer in your receiver?

Onkyo 609

I have the 609 and it does have a crossover setting for your sub and speakers.
Go into the following menus.
Speaker setup, Speaker configuration.
Turn sub to yes.
Set the hz reading to what is desired.
Scroll down. There is more hidden settings.
Now change the lpf of lfe to 120. This is sub crossover.
post #1170 of 1405 Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

I have the 609 and it does have a crossover setting for your sub and speakers.
Go into the following menus.
Speaker setup, Speaker configuration.
Turn sub to yes.
Set the hz reading to what is desired.
Scroll down. There is more hidden settings.
Now change the lpf of lfe to 120. This is sub crossover.

Thanks!! I thought this was just for LFE tracks.

Speakers:

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page