BIC Acoustech H200 Subwoofer (AKA PL-200) - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1400 Old 03-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any idea on how to improve this sub for use in music? I know it's not known for being good with music, but outside of running it +5 or more hot I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to help improve.

When I play music I usually hook up laptop up via HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1400 Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had one in use for a little over a month, but admittedly don't listen to a ton of music through my home theatre. It's mostly for TV and movies. That said, it's done really well for bass support on concert DVDs.

If anything, it's got a lot of ( too much? ) potential headroom, so even after running it through Audyssey, the volume is usually between 9:00 and 10:00...and I'll still hear occasional complaints from my wife upstairs. This is a large space, 15x25x9, hardwood floors, leading into an open kitchen, and has no problem filling the space without being obnoxious.

The first one I got had a bad amp. Talked through the issue with Fred Henderson of BIC America's tech support, and Mike Embers of Acoustic Sound Design and worked it all out promptly. Mike sent out a replacement unit with a prepaid UPS return tag. New one has been problem-free from the moment I un-boxed and set it up.

I have pretty efficient mains, rated to 40Hz, and Audyssey tried to set those up for full range. In the end, I overrode those settings, and changed the crossover to 60Hz, and have been pleased all around.

This replaced a Hsu Research VTF-2 with an amp that crapped out. Specs are pretty close, though the Hsu was downward firing, with two side ports.

Overall, very pleased, and a bargain to boot!
post #1383 of 1400 Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 AM

Liked: 21
I've been wanting to see if I can get better performance out of my sub and wanted to mess around with the calibration a little more

Currently I had the sub volume knob at about 11:45. Just a little below 12:00. YPAO calibrates it to -5.5. I manually adjust it to +1.

My question is should I lower the volume on the sub and let YPAO try to automatically get it close to 0 and then I can adjust? Or is how I have it now good? Or is it the same thing?

I hope that makes sense.
post #1384 of 1400 Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 AM

I don't think I can help you, but you might try Fred at BIC US tech support. He seems like an old-school type, but he might be able to eke out a bit better performance.

The first one I received, I'd have to set the volume to ~3:00 to get a loud enough Audyssey tone for calibration. Lower than that and the microphone wouldn't pick up on it. Then I'd get a distorted warble in use, indicating that something was awry.

With the replacement one, 9:00 is fine, and ~10:30 is getting a bit overbearing. That you're going closer to 12:00 makes me wonder, between what you're listening to, size / room characteristics.

Is it the volume that's a concern? Or the quality of the tone that's a concern? Knowing that going in might help you ( or Fred ) ascertain the problem and / or solution (s).

Good luck, and be sure to report how it turns out.
post #1385 of 1400 Old 03-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I set my bic h100 gain to the 10:30 position and then ran ypao. Once the calibration was finished, I moved up the subwoofer level in the avr just a little bit and that worked wonders for me.

Regarding music with this sub, it is not the most musical sub, but it does ok.Your issues maybe related to your room placement. Room placement can make all the difference with subwoofers. If you have not tried to put you sub in a front corner, give it a try.If you need more help with sub placement, go to youtube. There are some excellent video's on there.
post #1386 of 1400 Old 04-03-2014, 11:17 AM

I too have issues with music. My avr is not good for audessy, cambridge 751r, so i did all by measurement distances and by ear.

I will have dual PL200's. Any recommendations on setting up 2 of these subs? should I just turn the gains down on both? I have the receiver doing crossover, so pl200 is set to "out" but seems gain still operates in this setting. Is that correct? I was tild gain and crossover onobs shouldn't work with crossover being set to "out"
post #1387 of 1400 Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron hawaii View Post

I too have issues with music. My avr is not good for audessy, cambridge 751r, so i did all by measurement distances and by ear.

I will have dual PL200's. Any recommendations on setting up 2 of these subs? should I just turn the gains down on both? I have the receiver doing crossover, so pl200 is set to "out" but seems gain still operates in this setting. Is that correct? I was tild gain and crossover onobs shouldn't work with crossover being set to "out"

If you have an SPL meter, you could use it to calibrate, in lieu of Audyssey.

If you're letting the receiver do the crossover, then yes, the toggle switch should be set to "Out." Odd designation, and not intuitively obvious, but confirmed by BIC America Tech Support guy Fred. In that position, the PL-200's crossover dial is no longer in play, but the gain still works. Mine is usually between 9:00 and 10:30, or else it gets too boomy, or the wife complains.

I have the AVR crossover set to 60Hz, since my mains are pretty efficient, and are rated to 40Hz. I believe Audyssey has the output of the sub at -4.5 or -5.0 dB, though another thread in here said ideally, you shouldn't go beyond + / - 3.5 dB. If I get bored, I might re-run Audyssey, with the gain at 9:00, as, IIRC, I had it on 10 or 10:30 when I last ran it. Which is why 9:00 is probably close to that -3.5 dB sweetspot.
post #1388 of 1400 Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 PM

DJE31,
Thanks, this makes sense. I don't have a SPL but the audio guy who sold me the 751r set up the calibration with distance meter and by ear too, so I trust it. This was with a diff sub though.

I appreciate your help and will try all those that you said. Yes, the gain still works with the "out" position.

Has anyone tried to "stuff" the port of the PL200 to get tighter bass? I know I will lose output, but that is the least of my problems, esp since I will be running dual PL200s.

Thanks again for your help.
Ron
post #1389 of 1400 Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What are the correct setting on the back, for this sub? I have my Volume knob at the 12 o'clock position (straight up), Phase at 0. Crossover is at 80

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #1390 of 1400 Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post

What are the correct setting on the back, for this sub? I have my Volume knob at the 12 o'clock position (straight up), Phase at 0. Crossover is at 80
It depends on several factors. You need to have a SPL meter and some sort of measuring device to see the response in your room. You cannot just use certain settings, place the sub down and expect it to work properly.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #1391 of 1400 Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

It depends on several factors. You need to have a SPL meter and some sort of measuring device to see the response in your room. You cannot just use certain settings, place the sub down and expect it to work properly.

Since I don't have an SPL meter, any good starting points?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #1392 of 1400 Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

For starters, Have your phase set to 0, crossover to Out, and under most situations you should not have the SUB volume at 12 o'clock, I would suggest no higher than 10 o'clock. Make sure your receiver is set to work with a subwoofer and has high-pass filter set to between 80-100 hz depending on the capability of your existing speakers and set low pass filtered at 80hz on the rest.

If you have not done the subwoofer crawl I highly suggest that you do it, you will most likely be surprised at where the best placement is for your room. After doing the subwoofer crawl run Audyssey or YPAO if your receiver has it.

There you have it, that should be a good starting point for ya.
post #1393 of 1400 Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:

There are two simple methods you can use to set the volume on your sub. The easiest way is just to play one of your favorite demo scenes from a movie you know and enjoy and listen to the bass. Adjust the volume until it sounds right to you. The other way is to run the test tones thru your receiver and adjust the subs volume until it sounds level with the other speakers. I have my PL-200 volume set around the 11 o'clock setting with the phase at 0. I also have the crossover bypassed because I'm using the crossover in my AVR. You do this by setting the switch to crossover out.

dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
Velodyne SMS-1
post #1394 of 1400 Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

For starters, Have your phase set to 0, crossover to Out, and under most situations you should not have the SUB volume at 12 o'clock, I would suggest no higher than 10 o'clock. Make sure your receiver is set to work with a subwoofer and has high-pass filter set to between 80-100 hz depending on the capability of your existing speakers and set low pass filtered at 80hz on the rest.

If you have not done the subwoofer crawl I highly suggest that you do it, you will most likely be surprised at where the best placement is for your room. After doing the subwoofer crawl run Audyssey or YPAO if your receiver has it.

There you have it, that should be a good starting point for ya.
Exactly....I forgot to suggest doing a crawl. smile.gif

dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
Velodyne SMS-1
post #1395 of 1400 Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post

Any idea on how to improve this sub for use in music? I know it's not known for being good with music, but outside of running it +5 or more hot I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to help improve.

When I play music I usually hook up laptop up via HDMI.

I probably listen a little more to music than I watch movies with this sub and it sounds really good for music to my ears. And I don't change the setting when I switch to a movie or a CD. So what exactly are people complaining about when they say that it's not a great sub for music? To my ears, it, in no way sounds boomy and I have mine set to around the 11:30 position, which, might be a bit aggressive for some people here. To my ears, it's a very nice, taught bass with no hint of "boominess" or distortion at that level. So what exactly are people complaining about when they say it's not a great sub for music?

nx211
post #1396 of 1400 Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM

I should note that the way that I'm connecting this sub is different then perhaps most people here. I'm not using the LFE input, instead, I'm using the high-level speaker inputs/outputs and then continuing the run onto my main speakers. I've read somewhere that by using the LFE input, there is a several DB boost to the signal relative to using the speaker inputs. So perhaps my 11:30ish gain position is equivalent to something below the 10:00 position for those who use the LFE input.
post #1397 of 1400 Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 AM

Also, I feel that this sub sounds so good with *both* music and movies, that I purchased a second one. Now I have one on each side of the room.
post #1398 of 1400 Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Where can I buy this sub from?
post #1399 of 1400 Old 04-11-2014, 07:40 AM

There is normally an advertisement to purchase this sub near the top of this thread. Just click on it. If they are unavailable, just keep checking back every few days. Eventually they should be back in stock.
post #1400 of 1400 Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 PM

FYI, anyone looking, This sub is now on sale at Amazon.com for Unser 260
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page