Got My Replacement Amp from AV123.... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You guys got me thinking about these videos when talking about the MFW driver.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKPqr-yD5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNpmv-tjb0

Mark Seaton did a very nice job with his design.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Every time I watch one of these driver excursion videos, I wonder why all subs don't produce anything but hideous sounds. Seeing how the driver moves doesn't correlate with how it sounds. What I mean is the driver motion looks erratic and out of control, but the sound is good deep bass. Seeing the driver motion on loud passages, without hearing it, make me think it should sound like Fran Drescher.

Randy
post #93 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

You guys got me thinking about these videos when talking about the MFW driver.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKPqr-yD5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNpmv-tjb0

Mark Seaton did a very nice job with his design.

Ok, off topic I know but watch this and the windows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedfX...eature=related

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #94 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

klipsch....I've heard some pretty nasty sounding car subs....all distortion....no low end.

I know the MFW moves a lot of air. I agree with ransac that excursion doesn't necessarily mean good "bass" output. But, that's what everyone wants to see when they come over to listen to my HT.

post #95 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

klipsch....I've heard some pretty nasty sounding car subs....all distortion....no low end.

I know the MFW moves a lot of air. I agree with ransac that excursion doesn't necessarily mean good "bass" output. But, that's what everyone wants to see when they come over to listen to my HT.

Agreed, I posted that video because that was some crazy shaking of the windows I doubt very much anybody would sit in that car and say, wow that sounds clear!

20 years ago back in the days of real home brew car audio I competed in IASCA events that even then seemed to be only about how much you could shake windows. I competed with music that pushed sound quality over bass and won 2 years straight. These days I have yet to hear a car with decent sound, huge bass sure, never cared for that, I tried to keep the sound inside the car, the owner of MTX sat in my car and had a blast listening to the system, I felt honored he singled me out.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #96 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Amp Update.. received in email

Quote: Dear MFW-15 amplifier folks:

I hope this note finds you well…

After discussing this amplifier situation with our two Engineers here in the USA we have concluded that the singularly BEST OPTION would be to replace the amp module (board) itself inside the MFW-15.

For those of you that have been inside a ’15 – you’ll note that the amplifier has several modules/boards. These include the power supply module – the amp module (itself) and pre-amp/controller module. The amp module is easily replaced – and in taking this road we feel that this is THE BEST SOLUTION for the short term – and well into the life of the complete product.

Delivery time for the new amp modules is about 3 weeks – and we will immediately begin retrofitting our inventory here. The first to leave will be the Warranty Replacements – and once they are all 101% out and on their way, we will begin retrofitting all of our current Finished Goods Inventory as well as the inbound MFW-15’s in Rosewood. Once these tasks are underway – we will take to retrofitting all of our remaining inventory in Colombia (we will do the replacements here in Colorado) and ready that merchandise for sale.

So – in closing let me clearly state that while fixing the amps with the correct (to spec) parts did work – we feel that in order to put our very best foot forward, we want to replace the amplifier module with new ones that perform superbly under any conditions. In doing this, we serve both you and our brand to the very best of our ability.

I will release more information next week to offer any further clarifications that may be needed.

Thank you very much…

All the best…

mls
END Quote

post #97 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

Amp Update.. received in email

Quote: Dear MFW-15 amplifier folks:

I hope this note finds you well

After discussing this amplifier situation with our two Engineers here in the USA we have concluded that the singularly BEST OPTION would be to replace the amp module (board) itself inside the MFW-15.

For those of you that have been inside a '15 - you'll note that the amplifier has several modules/boards. These include the power supply module - the amp module (itself) and pre-amp/controller module. The amp module is easily replaced - and in taking this road we feel that this is THE BEST SOLUTION for the short term - and well into the life of the complete product.

Delivery time for the new amp modules is about 3 weeks - and we will immediately begin retrofitting our inventory here. The first to leave will be the Warranty Replacements - and once they are all 101% out and on their way, we will begin retrofitting all of our current Finished Goods Inventory as well as the inbound MFW-15's in Rosewood. Once these tasks are underway - we will take to retrofitting all of our remaining inventory in Colombia (we will do the replacements here in Colorado) and ready that merchandise for sale.

So - in closing let me clearly state that while fixing the amps with the correct (to spec) parts did work - we feel that in order to put our very best foot forward, we want to replace the amplifier module with new ones that perform superbly under any conditions. In doing this, we serve both you and our brand to the very best of our ability.

I will release more information next week to offer any further clarifications that may be needed.

Thank you very much

All the best

mls
END Quote

Thanks for posting this I think this is indeed good news!!

And that time frame is what was suggested to me....now to get other MFW owners thier amps and opinions...

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #98 of 230 Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 PM

Liked: 10
I also received the same email from av123..now to do more waiting
post #99 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroc View Post

I also received the same email from av123..now to do more waiting

Got a call from the wife this morning asking me what was making a loud buzzing noise after I left for work. I asked if she turned off the subwoofers last night, she said nope. She went to hit the switch and noise went away, so looks like one of mine is now kaput.

I'll find out more when I get home...

post #100 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now that was funny!

I don't know. Perhaps my sub is one of the few working to design. But not trying to be funny, seriously, I can't keep the cover on mine for more that 5 minutes. It blows right off the front most everytime I watch any HD material. Scares the crap out of my dogs as it shoots forward a good 6" or so and bangs on the hardwood floor. The dogs jump, I laugh, and I put it back on for looks when I'm done until next time. And I don't over amplify my sub or run it hot at all. I let Audyssey set it for me and just leave it at those settings or perhaps actually turn it down slightly. Still blows that magnitized cover off most everytime.

When I say that this sub thumps, I mean it!
post #101 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover View Post

I don't know. Perhaps my sub is one of the few working to design. But not trying to be funny, seriously, I can't keep the cover on mine for more that 5 minutes. It blows right off the front most everytime I watch any HD material. Scares the crap out of my dogs as it shoots forward a good 6" or so and bangs on the hardwood floor. The dogs jump, I laugh, and I put it back on for looks when I'm done until next time. And I don't over amplify my sub or run it hot at all. I let Audyssey set it for me and just leave it at those settings or perhaps actually turn it down slightly. Still blows that magnitized cover off most everytime.

Mine are held pretty tight to the box by the magnets, I mean real tight. Does your magents seem to hold it loose?

post #102 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine are held pretty tight to the box by the magnets, I mean real tight. Does your magents seem to hold it loose?

Just like yours, I have 4 magnets that allign with the 4 bolts that keep the decorative wooden face cover on. It snaps into place easily and stays put, except when very low material starts up and then it just blows forward right off the magnets. I don't see it as a problem and I didn't mean to imply that it was. Its more humourous than anything else. But it's interesting that nobody else has reported this. Leaving me to believe that the magnets on mine are weak for some reason or else my sub is thumping quite a bit more forcefully than most others. It does rearrange my hair (what's left of it) move my clothing, and add a very physical dimension to below 20Hz material. I'd say that one of this sub's strengths is below 20Hz.
post #103 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 AM

I hope we can keep this thread open, as I am patiently waiting for my replacement amp. I am keeping my expectations conservative, and hoping for an early June replacement. I temporarily brought back in my old velodyne from the bedroom so I have some bass. It really helps to have a thread to check in on from week to week and thanks Deez for posting, and giving the rest of us some positive reinforcement that a solution is forthcoming. Lets keep it civil guys so the thread can continue.

I support Mark, and wish for this episode in AV123's business endeavors to wrap up, so we can move on to focusing on some of the great speakers av123 has brought us, and will bring us in the future. Hang in there Mark and keep it real.........

Long time audio / video enthusiast - gadget freak
post #104 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You must be moving some serious air. My grill stays on through some pretty serious sub workouts. Even the depth charge scenes in U-571 don't blow off the cover....even when I can feel the room pressurize.

post #105 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just like yours, I have 4 magnets that allign with the 4 bolts that keep the decorative wooden face cover on. It snaps into place easily and stays put, except when very low material starts up and then it just blows forward right off the magnets. I don't see it as a problem and I didn't mean to imply that it was. Its more humourous than anything else. But it's interesting that nobody else has reported this. Leaving me to believe that the magnets on mine are weak for some reason or else my sub is thumping quite a bit more forcefully than most others. It does rearrange my hair (what's left of it) move my clothing, and add a very physical dimension to below 20Hz material. I'd say that one of this sub's strengths is below 20Hz.

During Casin Royal and U571's most intense scenes I thought they might blow off (God knows alot of things on tables did!) but they didn't. Mine are on carpet too so I don't know how much this might affect it, if any?

post #106 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Mine fall off all the time. I actually stopped using them as it became a distraction.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #107 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgroff View Post

I hope we can keep this thread open, as I am patiently waiting for my replacement amp. I am keeping my expectations conservative, and hoping for an early June replacement. I temporarily brought back in my old velodyne from the bedroom so I have some bass. It really helps to have a thread to check in on from week to week and thanks Deez for posting, and giving the rest of us some positive reinforcement that a solution is forthcoming. Lets keep it civil guys so the thread can continue.

I support Mark, and wish for this episode in AV123's business endeavors to wrap up, so we can move on to focusing on some of the great speakers av123 has brought us, and will bring us in the future. Hang in there Mark and keep it real.........

No problem and I am happy as well to keep thread open as I know it sucks not to have a working sub and to not know when if ever, sub will be repaired.

post #108 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

No problem and I am happy as well to keep thread open as I know it sucks not to have a working sub and to not know when if ever, sub will be repaired.

I'm not calling AV123 until I confirm that one of mine went out, I'll confirm tonight and post back.

post #109 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not calling AV123 until I confirm that one of mine went out, I'll confirm tonight and post back.

Please let us know.

post #110 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please let us know.

deez....who did you talk to over at AV123? Was it Mark Joslin?

post #111 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Mine fall off all the time. I actually stopped using them as it became a distraction.

I didn't think I was the only one.

Curious, do still have your orginal amp? I wonder if those of us who seem to appear to have good amps are experiencing better performance than those with bad amps. Perhaps they are bad even before they "pop"
post #112 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curious, do still have your orginal amp? I wonder if those of us who seem to appear to have good amps are experiencing better performance than those with bad amps. Perhaps they are bad even before they "pop"

Original amp.....going on 4 months. I play mine HARD!

post #113 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

take a DB reading at 1 foot when it does that....I would be interested in your reading..

I can measure almost 120db @1 foot, and my cover never comes off.

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #114 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Original amp.....going on 4 months. I play mine HARD!

That's interesting. I wonder if there is a connection between those of us who have orginal, working amps, whose subs seem to be pushing a LOT of air and those that have had bad amps. Perhaps their subs are not pushing nearly as hard as ours but as they have no frame of reference, don't realize it.
post #115 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

take a DB reading at 1 foot when it does that....I would be interested in your reading..

I can measure almost 120db @1 foot, and my cover never comes off.

That's a great idea. I'll do it and post the results tomorrow. But as I said, I don't see this as a problem. It's just sort of amusing.
post #116 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please let us know.

You never know what the cat was doing, with my luck the little sh*t was standing on the line cords and pulled one out and it's hitting metal or something. That damn thing knows exactly how to screw things up.

post #117 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM

put up on forum

Good Morning...

Yesterday - this note finally made it's way to our folks on the MFW-15 list... In the interest of disclosure and our commitment to the communication needs we all desire - I'm posting that note here as well. I feel it's the right thing to do...

Thank you...

mls

+++++

Dear MFW-15 amplifier folks:

I hope this note finds you well…

For those of you that have been inside a ’15 – you’ll note that the amplifier has several modules/boards. These include the power supply module – the amp module (itself) and pre-amp/controller module. The amp module is easily replaced – and in taking this road we feel that this is THE BEST SOLUTION for the short term – and well into the life of the complete product.

Delivery time for the new amp modules is about 3 weeks – and we will immediately begin retrofitting our inventory here. The first to leave will be the Warranty Replacements – and once they are all 101% out and on their way, we will begin retrofitting all of our current Finished Goods Inventory as well as the inbound MFW-15’s in Rosewood. Once these tasks are underway – we will take to retrofitting all of our remaining inventory in Colombia (we will do the replacements here in Colorado) and ready that merchandise for sale.

So – in closing let me clearly state that while fixing the amps with the correct (to spec) parts did work – we feel that in order to put our very best foot forward, we want to replace the amplifier module with new ones that perform superbly under any conditions. In doing this, we serve both you and our brand to the very best of our ability.

Thank you very much…

All the best…

mls
post #118 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 AM

but, is AV123 just going to send us the module (I'm guessing it's just like a PCI board in PC's, remove and replace)to replace, or are we getting a new amp from the ground up?

PSN: BusaHaya03

http://*******.com
post #119 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busahaya View Post

but, is AV123 just going to send us the module (I'm guessing it's just like a PCI board in PC's, remove and replace)to replace, or are we getting a new amp from the ground up?

It seems clear from the description that there are three boards in an amp - one pre-amp, one power, and one actual amp board, and that the amp board itself is what will be replaced.

So no, not a whole new thing - just a replacement of the potentially defective part.
post #120 of 230 Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Curious, do still have your original amp? I wonder if those of us who seem to appear to have good amps are experiencing better performance than those with bad amps. Perhaps they are bad even before they "pop"

I have too much stuff around to keep broken items. I asked AV123 if they wanted it back and when they declined I just had them go with some other electronics that were being recycled. I have one bad one now (waiting on replacement) and one working one (in working MFW). When they both functioned they had similar output at the same settings. I think the variance would be in the magnets more than the performance of the subs.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page