Got My Replacement Amp from AV123.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Before I start, I pm'ed a mod to ask for permission to start this thread and got no response.
I wanted to start a thread about getting a replacement amp for my MFW15. This thread is not to be used for flaming and accusations or dredging up the mistakes made on AV123's part. I just wanted to relate my experience and give hope to frustrated customers who are waiting for thier amps as well...so, maybe we could discuss here our experiences and thoughts and maybe someone who can do a detalied review of the sub as far as how well on the bench this amp performs compared to the old defective one.

I would welcome these posts as I know others would.

I ask that you please do not turn this into a flame thread and start arguements with others here. Lets just stick to the facts as I think we all know AV123 has had quality issues and really the most important thing right now is the replacement amp and how well it performs.

I will wait to post my pics and thoughts if this thread does not get closed.

Again, I am only starting this thread to be informative on a technical basis as well as get other peoples experiences so that we may hopefully get a definitive resolution to this issue.

Thanks

*NOTE-I would ask that only END USERS WITH DEFECTIVE AMPS waiting For receiving their amps post here, thanks in advance for your cooperation.

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Seeing as you just got it, it may be premature to say anything more than you received it. Look forward to hearing how it holds up over the long/short haul. Assuming you had to wait an inordinate amount of time, are warranties being extended in any way that you know of?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #3 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Seeing as you just got it, it may be premature to say anything more than you received it. Look forward to hearing how it holds up over the long/short haul. Assuming you had to wait an inordinate amount of time, are warranties being extended in any way that you know of?

I don't agree. Like I said I want to discuss getting it, first impressions and testing of it. I dont want to talk about anything concerning warranties, av123 as a company: only end users who have received their amps and want to share their experiences here. Please do not be offended but owners only.

Thanks

post #4 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
I'll just listen then.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #5 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I'll just listen then.

Thank you....

I will post some pics as soon as a mod posts or i dont hear anything from them. Again ,I want to keep this thread civil.

PS-I also signed up for a 1 year membership and I would like to post picks too. I haven't heard from anyone yet about joining but I did pay...hehe.

post #6 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
just a quick question. The amp you receive is a the "new" amp, and different in design/components than the failed one?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #7 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I received a very polite note from AV123 informing me that they are out of any form of replacement amp at the present time, so those waiting may very well need to be a little more patient and not get too excited just yet about Deez getting an amp. A good sign for sure, but we still have a bit more waiting to do.

This is from the body of the email I received.

"Unfortunately we do not have any amplifier modules old or new right now. We are hoping to have modules here shortly. If we receive the modules before the cabinets I will arrange to send you this to get you back up and running. Thanks for your continued patience.

Kindest regards,

av123 Technical Support
(303) 543-7500 option 4
(720) 494-1751 fax
techsupport@**********
www.**********

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Well if nothing else, at least you received the amp in the time frame promised - that's a start...
post #9 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

just a quick question. The amp you receive is a the "new" amp, and different in design/components than the failed one?

Completely new?

Not sure it does have different capacitors and some "cooling Gel" around them?? I am not sure...I took a few pics upon unpack and now amp is installed. I will post these pics but If I have to I can take amp out and get some more pics.
Here is the old on the left and new on the right...

And the "Cooling Gell?"

post #10 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post

Well if nothing else, at least you received the amp in the time frame promised - that's a start...

I actually received this replacement amp on the 17th of april 2 days before the cutoff which was the 19th as I was promised. So, MLS kept his word and actually called me to confirm it.

So, if we need more pics and clearer ones I can do it....

PS-As soon as I received amp, I immediately tried:

1-Transformers-HD DVD
2-War Of The Worlds
3-Pulse-HD DVD

Took it through it paces with the usual scenes. In TF, I played the scene where the autobot rolls over girl as she screams and the sound was tight and full with no issues whatsoever. So, I then ran it in 5 times succesion each time raising system volume and each time it sounded great!! On WOTW machines emerging scene sounded great as well. PUlSE HD DVD sounded good but there is some slight...ever so slight chuffing around the woofer/cabinet and it only happens on 1 scene in this movie. But, it sounded great otherwise.

I then watched QOS James Bond and The Day The Earth Stood Still as a double feature bass was loud tight and full........with no issues whatsoever.

Again, these are very preliminary signs but at least the sub hasn't crapped out immediately which gives me hope AV123 has solved the issue and it was only 1 part on the board. It was so nice to feel that sound again....

*NOTE: The chuffing should not be considered an issue related to the sub's amp as this only happens on that scene in that movie and most subs will have issues with this scene on the HD DVD of "PULSE".

post #11 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Liked: 12
anyone with electronics knowledge care to shed light on the "gel"? Is it just for stability (like a glue) or is there another purpose? I have seen glue used quite a bit to strengthen. Also, I have an old Sansui amp that has some whitish stuff around all the caps, including between the cap and the board.
post #12 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by random username View Post

anyone with electronics knowledge care to shed light on the "gel"? Is it just for stability (like a glue) or is there another purpose? I have seen glue used quite a bit to strengthen. Also, I have an old Sansui amp that has some whitish stuff around all the caps, including between the cap and the board.

I'm not positive in this particular case, but it could be to "bond" everything to the board for heat dissipation.
post #13 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I suspect that it is not a gel, but is white silicon adhesive. The capacitors are rather heavy compared to the support of two thin leads soldered to the PC board. In a heavy vibration environment, as these are, the vibrations will stress the leads. So, they bond them to each other and to the board for support. Some companies use hot glue for the same thing. My only issue with what I see in these pics as well as pics of Indigo amps (they use hot glue) is the sloppiness. I know this is not meant to be seen, but still....

Randy
post #14 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

So, MLS kept his word and actually called me to confirm it.

If you don't want to allow complaints, then you can't give out compliments either.

Randy
post #15 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:37 PM

Is the specific nature of the failure (which components) known? Out of all the posts I read, I don't remember ever reading what had failed. For all I know, it could be a 39 cent component, easilly fixable with minimal soldering skills. Or, not.
post #16 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Was this a new design amp or one they found and tested from the stock they had?

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #17 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

If you don't want to allow complaints, then you can't give out compliments either.

This is a fact not a compliment...but I digress.

How about we stay on topic, thank you.

post #18 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the specific nature of the failure (which components) known? Out of all the posts I read, I don't remember ever reading what had failed. For all I know, it could be a 39 cent component, easilly fixable with minimal soldering skills. Or, not.

I am not sure as I lost interest when MLS went into the specifics on the phone and in his letter posted on his website. I do know the gist of it and it had to do with his supplier using inferior components and pocketing the money and skipping town.

post #19 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

Was this a new design amp or one they found and tested from the stock they had?

I am not sure as both amps look the same. Maybe they took a new existing amp, replaced the bad parts and sent it to me...as sort of a beta tester. Or maybe this is the new design and everything is the same except the capacitors. I will call MLS and ask him and report back. Like I said, If someone on here really wants to know I could take amp out and post more pics...

*UPDATE:

I just spoke with MLS and here is What he told me:

My amp was one of three that are the new revision from his new supplier in China. The output board was the failed part (where the red and black wires plug into from woofer). They also replaced the 4 Capacitors in the picture and went to a different occilating design-whatever that is!! The gel is a insulator that should have been removed but does not hurt the amp.

I hope this answers your questions.

post #20 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

the specific nature of the problem is that the amp design was bad, as previously posted by someone associated with AV123.
post #21 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM

with no disrespect intended, your post didn't contribute much. In my post I mentioned "specific components". The amps which don't work, won't work not because every component is bad, but most likely because one specific component couldn't handle the load and either opened up or shorted out. This may have possibly caused a chain reaction of a few other components.
post #22 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

On a different but somewhat similar note. AV123 sent me a new driver for the defective one. The install took about 10 minutes. I forgot how well these subs sound, when they are working. So right now, the driver is thumping, the original amp is still going strong. Now, if they just would throw me some sort of refund for the veneer issue I'd be good to go. This is a very tight sub and sounds great for music. Probably the best ported musical sub I have heard. YMMV
post #23 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover View Post

On a different but somewhat similar note. AV123 sent me a new driver for the defective one. The install took about 10 minutes. I forgot how well these subs sound, when they are working. So right now, the driver is thumping, the original amp is still going strong. Now, if they just would throw me some sort of refund for the veneer issue I'd be good to go. This is a very tight sub and sounds great for music. Probably the best ported musical sub I have heard. YMMV

do you have any pics of the driver that you can post. I do not believe I have seen the guts behind this beast. Glad to hear you are rocking again.
post #24 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereojunkie View Post

do you have any pics of the driver that you can post. I do not believe I have seen the guts behind this beast. Glad to hear you are rocking again.

I'm out of town on business and won't be back unitl later in the week. If this thread is still up when I get back, I'll post some pics.
post #25 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not sure as both amps look the same. Maybe they took a new existing amp, replaced the bad parts and sent it to me...as sort of a beta tester. Or maybe this is the new design and everything is the same except the capacitors. I will call MLS and ask him and report back. Like I said, If someone on here really wants to know I could take amp out and post more pics...

*UPDATE:

I just spoke with MLS and here is What he told me:

My amp was one of three that are the new revision from his new supplier in China. The output board was the failed part (where the red and black wires plug into from woofer). They also replaced the 4 Capacitors in the picture and went to a different occilating design-whatever that is!! The gel is a insulator that should have been removed but does not hurt the amp.

I hope this answers your questions.

deez,

Thanks for the update.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #26 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

deez,

Thanks for the update.

No problem

As I understand it, the problem was not in the amp design but in the supplier using parts that were cheaper and not approved. This supplier also took all the money and left.

But back to the thread....I am going to test out another movie tonite maybe....

post #27 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Before I start, I pm'ed a mod to ask for permission to start this thread and got no response.

Next time wait. I didn't get a PM at all, who did you send it to?

I'll allow this for now. If it turns into a mess I will suspend the accounts that caused it to spiral out of control.

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #28 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Deez, Enjoy your woof. It's good to hear it's finally fixed.

Joe V.
post #29 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

Next time wait. I didn't get a PM at all, who did you send it to?

I'll allow this for now. If it turns into a mess I will suspend the accounts that caused it to spiral out of control.

Kyser

No problem. I did a private chat with David Bott I think. I waited and heard nothing. I appreciate you posting keyser and I will do my best to stay on topic.

post #30 of 230 Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Deez, Enjoy your woof. It's good to hear it's finally fixed.

I will thanks. I only have 1 sub...I usually have more but the economy has forced me to scale way back...

Now I am going to play some bass heavy music and see how warm the backplate gets.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page