Crossover: Out
Phase: 0
Denon roll off at: 40

At these low levels the following happens:

At 43 seconds: A grinding mechanical sound from ULS-15
At 307-318 : Distortion, loud mechanical flutter of ULS-15
At 334: Loud over modulation of ULS-15 and farting sound "sorry"

This is just on track 2.

Something is wrong!!!! at -21 DB which no where near the real listening level this should not be happening. Not even with a $200.00 sub...

Could the "combination" that the Auto off is not working and these grinding mechanical sounds and the muddy responce mean the the woofer itself is damaged or is this an electronic issue or both?

Should the sub not be used with the settings I have? They seem low and the sub at these levels is not placing out any significant bass. So if I can't use at this level or above there is no great bass output. Listening in the room the Cantons are putting out much lower bass than the ULS-15 and thay are not distorting.

Even with deep organ pipes I'm not getting BASS from the ULS-15 just a grinding Mechanical sound or a loud distorted flutter of the 15 inch driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hello filcro1,

Looking over your posts I see "It will not turn on" and "I do not seem to have the punch". This might be a clue.

What is the sub speaker level setting in the Denon? Is it on the minus side? IIRC the Denon subwoofer level range is -12 to +12. The ideal setting should be +0 or -1, -2. To get to the +0 level you need to turn down the volume on the subwoofer and then rerun Audyessy. Check the subwoofer speaker level again, adjust the volume on the subwoofer, rerun audyssey, repeat, until you get to +0.

Once you do this it should actually help with both the Auto on and give you the punch. I run my duals between 10:30 and 11:00, which corresponds to +0 on my Yamaha RX-V1800. Having the correct AVR setting is what is important. To low of a speaker level and you lose information in the signal. To high of a speaker level and there is a tendency to clip the signal.

I also want you to understand that since the ULS-15 is so accurate it will not always play bass notes that you think it should play. But once it is feed a stronger signal it will actually make you jump when it does. For example, if you listen to a song by Boston you will not get much in the way of bass. Conversely if you were to play "Love Game" from Lady Gaga (just an example boys, no snide remarks needed from the peanut gallery ) Or say something from Pink Floyd. It will make you with the amount of bass information that is in those songs. It does take some getting use to a sub like this. Then once it is setup properly, it will also make you when there is 10 hz information in a movie such as the sonic cannons in the Incredible Hulk or the fight scene in the movie 9.

Hope this can help you intergrate the sub into your system. I spent three weekends when I first got my subs constantly tweaking, moving and running test tones before I was happy with the results.

Sub speaker level on Denon I now have at 0... I've had it up to 9 and it still won't turn on. I have to leave the ULS-15 on all the time. BTW. The Denon set the speaker level for my Sunfire at -8.5!!!!

Doing the EQ with the Denon and the ULS-15 it sets the Denon at -2.5. This is with the Volume on the ULS-15 set at 12:00 O'Clock.

ALSO! When the Denon does an EQ with the Sunfire I get a number of DEEP VERY LOW test signals. With the ULS-15 they are high pitched!!!!! Why is the ULS-15 putting out a high pitched sound and not a LOW DEEP sound like the Sunfire???? They are both getting the EXACT same signal!

I guess your other really good advice is something I can look into but at this point the SUB makes a griding noise as I've posted in the above note and distorts.

So if I set it so low to stop the grinding you get no bass output. This with the Denon and the ULS-15 set at pretty low levels.

Thank you VERY much for your note. I'll keep trying....
post #273 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please call technical support at HSU. Talk to Leonardo about this...

There is something going in there that is not normal...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #274 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes it sounds like something askew there. Take cacihome advise and call Tech support.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #275 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
well, i bought a dual drive from a member on the forums. cant wait to get it......only thing one sub is for me and the other i am giving to a friend
post #276 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

well, i bought a dual drive from a member on the forums. cant wait to get it......only thing one sub is for me and the other i am giving to a friend

Did you get Bill's dual drive?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #277 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

i dont know if he is Bill too, but it was Jason (jrunr) that i bought them from. hopefully everything comes through and i get them here to Barbados safely.

my room is definitely too small to put the dual drive anyway (15'x10') heck it may even be too small for a single ULS but i had the upgrade itch SSSSOOOOOO BBBBAAAADDDDD i just had to get it (and also some Signature paradigms). i'm stoked at my buys and i am hoping they sound as good as everyone here makes them seem. won't be before 4-5 weeks until i have them here and set-up so until then i'll be lounging here looking and reading everyone's testimonials.
post #278 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Yep. On my way to FedEx now. I really hate to see these go
post #279 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Jack, is that with just one ULS-15 or have you heard anyone with a Dual or Quad drive system using Audyssey having issues?

Sorry, got called away from town...

One ULS-15. I can hit 90 - 100 db's from the sub at my listening postition with the high pass in place (i use a ed eq.2) but without it it'll bottom in conjunction with audyessey, even at -30 (70db's) on my Onkyo. Yes, audessey is jacking the lfe channel.

I also saw the trim suggestion from someone... it doesn't roll off fast enough. If you do use it apply it after you run audyessey.... it does help.

I've been through it on the HSU forums about 9 months ago. The cure is in place. I just shudder when someone expects a bulletproof sub. If their expectations are out-of-whack they won't be satisfied. I also need to state as soon as I make some $$$ i'll be pursing a dual drive. It's a great sub.

post #280 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Sorry, got called away from town...

One ULS-15. I can hit 90 - 100 db's from the sub at my listening postition with the high pass in place (i use a ed eq.2) but without it it'll bottom in conjunction with audyessey, even at -30 (70db's) on my Onkyo. Yes, audessey is jacking the lfe channel.

I also saw the trim suggestion from someone... it doesn't roll off fast enough. If you do use it apply it after you run audyessey.... it does help.

I've been through it on the HSU forums about 9 months ago. The cure is in place. I just shudder when someone expects a bulletproof sub. If their expectations are out-of-whack they won't be satisfied. I also need to state as soon as I make some $$$ i'll be pursing a dual drive. It's a great sub.

Good info there Jack. Thanks for sharing. Guess you will need to sale some more widgets so you can get the sibling. Then you will have a big on your face.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #281 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

i dont know if he is Bill too, but it was Jason (jrunr) that i bought them from. hopefully everything comes through and i get them here to Barbados safely.

my room is definitely too small to put the dual drive anyway (15'x10') heck it may even be too small for a single ULS but i had the upgrade itch SSSSOOOOOO BBBBAAAADDDDD i just had to get it (and also some Signature paradigms). i'm stoked at my buys and i am hoping they sound as good as everyone here makes them seem. won't be before 4-5 weeks until i have them here and set-up so until then i'll be lounging here looking and reading everyone's testimonials.

Kimwyn, dual drives in a room like that will be hilariously overpowered. I know because mine are in a room just a bit larger and when I crank em, everything in here shakes. You are going to get rocked!
post #282 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

filcro, the symptoms that you are describing are definitely not normal at all. I think that something is wrong with the output transistors on the subwoofer amplifier. Please give us a call when you get a chance. Thanks

Pete - Hsu Research
post #283 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Have any of you ULS-15 owners upgraded from a VTF3? I'm looking at my first sub. and don't want to get a VTF3 only to wish I had bought the ULS in six months. The $629. price is hard to pass up. The room is large with a tall ceiling, but I've always skipped the sub. because I have Def Tech mains with 15" subs in them.
post #284 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post

Please call technical support at HSU. Talk to Leonardo about this...

There is something going in there that is not normal...

Thanks. I called and spoke with a nice lady. She said something is broken as it's not working the way it should.
  • I described the high pitched sound when the Denon does the EQ setup
  • The grinding mechanical noise on low notes
  • The fluttering and over modulation
  • The auto on being broken
  • And the muddy, boomy, sound

I've only had the sub one day and it never worked so I guess it was damaged in transit? Did the woofer get jolted.. an electronic board broken??? Who knows....

I'm just dissapointed after waiting so long and getting a DOA ULS-15
post #285 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

filcro1, these ULS's are all in perfect working condition as they leave our warehouse. Each one is assembled here and thoroughly tested before shipping out. Let's finish the troubleshooting on the phone if you don't mind, it's tough keeping track of all the back and forth here

Pete - Hsu Research
post #286 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcro1 View Post

Thanks. I called and spoke with a nice lady. She said something is broken as it's not working the way it should.
  • I described the high pitched sound when the Denon does the EQ setup
  • The grinding mechanical noise on low notes
  • The fluttering and over modulation
  • The auto on being broken
  • And the muddy, boomy, sound

I've only had the sub one day and it never worked so I guess it was damaged in transit? Did the woofer get jolted.. an electronic board broken??? Who knows....

I'm just dissapointed after waiting so long and getting a DOA ULS-15

Huge bummer dude. If I know anything the great people at HSU got your back.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #287 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

quick question, if i want a bit more impact can i pair my new ULS-15 with my existing Energy ESW-V8 sub? will this cause problems?
post #288 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Huge bummer dude. If I know anything the great people at HSU got your back.

Just got off the phone with Leo at HSU and they are shipping me a new amp.

Look forward to hearing what the ULS-15 is like.

He said it will be easy to swap out the AMP and I should have no trouble with it.

All the best everyone
post #289 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for calling Paul. I will send you an email with instructions on how to remove the amp, and recommended settings.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #290 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeickmann View Post

Have any of you ULS-15 owners upgraded from a VTF3? I'm looking at my first sub. and don't want to get a VTF3 only to wish I had bought the ULS in six months. The $629. price is hard to pass up. The room is large with a tall ceiling, but I've always skipped the sub. because I have Def Tech mains with 15" subs in them.

I have them both.
If you want to save a few $$$, and don't care about sub size, the VTF-3MK3 will not leave you asking yourself what if...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #291 of 2713 Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

FYI:

ULS-15 in satin black on sale for $1099!

Should I go for another...hmmmm. ;o)
post #292 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 AM

The sale price made up my mind for me. Just put in my order for the ULS-15. Now the waiting! Bill
post #293 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Bill - you won't be disappointed. It took some time but after I got mine dialed in I absolutely love my ULS-15. I'd like to add another but my funds are tied up right now so it's just not gonna happen (yet).
post #294 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM

lewdogg,

I was going to go with the VTF3.3, but the sale ended, so I had no choice but to get the ULS. Do you think my wife will buy that?
post #295 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

^hahahahhhaa

Cacimar Hernandez
post #296 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Bill - LOL! Tell her the ULS looks A LOT better than the VTF 3.3 and that's something you can't put a price on. Besides, you got a good deal on a superb product - what more is there to say.
post #297 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeickmann View Post

lewdogg,

I was going to go with the VTF3.3, but the sale ended, so I had no choice but to get the ULS. Do you think my wife will buy that?

Bill

She will like it more than the larger sized VTF3. When I got my Dual Drive in Walnut my wife was extremely pleased with the way they look and I am able to place them anywhere in the room I want.

So welcome to our little family here.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #298 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

quick question, if i want a bit more impact can i pair my new ULS-15 with my existing Energy ESW-V8 sub? will this cause problems?

anyone??
post #299 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks, guys.

I'm sure I will be very happy with my new toy. And if I put it behind the couch, she might not even notice it. I wonder if two would fit back there? I wonder how long it will take Fed Ex to go from Calif. to Detroit?
post #300 of 2713 Old 03-05-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

anyone??

It's generally not worth it to pair a low end sub with a high end sub. The Energy sub will just smear the sound quality that the ULS can give you. It will have to work a lot harder to keep up with the ULS subs which will result in a lot more distortion, so it will only hurt rather than help. I wouldn't run both subs in one system.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page