post #631 of 2713 Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Ugh, I watched Robin Hood the other day on the plane and it, IMO, is a terrible, terrible movie. Not sure there would be much bass in that one. Iron Man 2 I haven't seen and am looking forward to it!

BTW, I have yet to see a ULS come up on Audiogon or Canuckaudiomart (and I've been looking as I'd love to hear this sub), so clearly HSU has a great product here!!

I'm not looking for anything particularly memorable from Robin Hood but am cautiously optimistic that it will be all right. Ridley Scott almost always does pretty good work and the film has an excellent cast. Time will tell, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2713 Old 09-15-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
I didn't see Robin Hood, but I thought Scott's Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good. After seeing the trailer for Robin Hood, I thought, "what does this have to do with Robin Hood?" Didn't resemble any Robin Hood I knew about, it really looked like a generic middle ages movie, so I skipped it. When I was a kid, I used to enjoy the Errol Flynn and Kevin Costner movies, but I haven't seen either in a long time.
post #633 of 2713 Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I didn't see Robin Hood, but I thought Scott's Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good. After seeing the trailer for Robin Hood, I thought, "what does this have to do with Robin Hood?" Didn't resemble any Robin Hood I knew about, it really looked like a generic middle ages movie, so I skipped it. When I was a kid, I used to enjoy the Errol Flynn and Kevin Costner movies, but I haven't seen either in a long time.

I liked Kingdom of Heaven well enough when I saw it on either HBO or Showtime. I recently watched it again after picking up the BD at my neighborhood BB and liked it even more the second time around, despite the presence of the underwhelming Orlando Bloom. I agree that both Errol Flynn's and Kevin Costner's versions of Robin Hood were great fun. I don't expect Scott's version to be as good as those but hope to be reasonably well entertained. There is a lot to be said for going into a film with low expectations.
post #634 of 2713 Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hey guys, i have a pretty legitimate question here....as some may know i have a ULS already and i have decided to move out of my current place into somewhere bigger. So my single would not be enough for me anymore, i was thinking would it make sense to buy an additional dual drive for $1999 OR a single ULS and an MBM mid bass module for $1299+$499???? would i get more chest pounding slam with option 1(3 ULS-15s) or option 2(dual drive and MBM)??? let's see what everyone has to say.....
post #635 of 2713 Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

hey guys, i have a pretty legitimate question here....as some may know i have a ULS already and i have decided to move out of my current place into somewhere bigger. So my single would not be enough for me anymore, i was thinking would it make sense to buy an additional dual drive for $1999 OR a single ULS and an MBM mid bass module for $1299+$499???? would i get more chest pounding slam with option 1(3 ULS-15s) or option 2(dual drive and MBM)??? let's see what everyone has to say.....

How big is the room and is it open to the rest of the home?

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #636 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

the entire room is about 18'x25'x9' and has a 10'x10' kitchen attached, so that is about 4900^3 ft to fill.......

it appears to me as when everyone likes earth shaking bass i prefer the chest pounding mid bass that you get from gunshots and stuff like that.
post #637 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I would recommend the single ULS-15 + a MBM. IIRC you have monitor speakers right? So they do not go as low as floorstanders and you would get a benefit from the MBM.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #638 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Kimwyn, the MBM-12 is a pretty cool piece of equipment and plenty fun to integrate into a set-up.

Another option to throw out there, within your budget, is a pair of VTF-3 MK3s; which are on sale right now.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #639 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^thanks for your responses WTF but i want to keep it the sealed way, i am not too fond of ported subwoofers.

thanks Al. i have Paradigm S4s, and i definitely would not consider those monitor speakers. i want to see what Pete has to say on this topic.
post #640 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I would recommend the single ULS-15 + a MBM. IIRC you have monitor speakers right? So they do not go as low as floorstanders and you would get a benefit from the MBM.

why would you recommend this??? is it because the integration of 3 subs is very difficult? is 3 ULS overkill for the room? will i get what i am looking for with that option????
post #641 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Pete would be your best source. The reason I recommended the MBM was your S4s only have a 7" diameter woofer. And while the S4s are no slouch in the lower mid bass octaves they still are only a 7" diameter woofer. The MBM would intergrate well with the S4s to fill in the 50-100 hz range and would make it seem like you have 12" diameter woofers instead of 7" (hence increased mid bass slam). Then since you already have 1 ULS-15 adding the second one would enforce the VLF frequencies in the larger room. You did ask for recommendations. I provided what I thought would work best. Remember I only have a dual drive system in a 10,000 + ^3 room supplemented by two Velodynes. The Velos act as MBMs in my situation.

But if you want 3 ULS-15s by all means go 4 it.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #642 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

As usual, one of the most helpful guys on this forum. Thanks Al......i'll wait to hear Pete's suggestion also.
post #643 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

^^^thanks for your responses WTF but i want to keep it the sealed way, i am not too fond of ported subwoofers.

thanks Al. i have Paradigm S4s, and i definitely would not consider those monitor speakers. i want to see what Pete has to say on this topic.

Kinda interested in the response also. I have an all sealed setup (speakers and a single uls-15) and have thought about introducing a ported mid range sub to help with the high end sub range in about the same size room (4900 cu feet). Just feels dirty to add a ported sub to a sealed room is all.
post #644 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Kinda interested in the response also. I have an all sealed setup (speakers and a single uls-15) and have thought about introducing a ported mid range sub to help with the high end sub range in about the same size room (4900 cu feet). Just feels dirty to add a ported sub to a sealed room is all.

Hello Jack my friend. long time no see. The new MBM-12 MK2 from the HSU web site:

Quote:
We are proud to introduce the brand new MBM-12 MK2 mid-bass module. This second generation model features higher quality finish options, in addition to brand new ‘Sealed’ and ‘Ported’ variable tuning operating modes. The ‘Sealed’ mode is ideal for those looking for the best possible integration with the true subwoofer, while the ‘Ported’ mode is ideal for those looking for the highest possible mid-bass headroom. The MBM-12 MK2 gives users the option to choose one operating mode or the other to fit their needs in virtually any music or home theater
application.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #645 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
We are proud to introduce the brand new MBM-12 MK2 mid-bass module. This second generation model features higher quality finish options, in addition to brand new ‘Sealed’ and ‘Ported’ variable tuning operating modes. The ‘Sealed’ mode is ideal for those looking for the best possible integration with the true subwoofer, while the ‘Ported’ mode is ideal for those looking for the highest possible mid-bass headroom. The MBM-12 MK2 gives users the option to choose one operating mode or the other to fit their needs in virtually any music or home theater
application.

Missed that... Thanks Geek.
post #646 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hi Kimwyn,

Do you know what are the room dimensions (HxWxD, including openings to other areas) of your new space?

In general, for relatively a large volume of space, my preference is to first add a second identical true subwoofer, because one will need as much deep bass headroom as possible. Then, further down the road, add mid-bass module(s) (running in 'Sealed' mode with a ULS system) to further enhance the system. For small to moderately sized rooms (say, less than 4000 ft^3 including the volume of openings to other areas), I would first add a mid-bass module and then add a second identical true subwoofer.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #647 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Afternoon Pete

Hope you are doing well.

Here is what Kimwyn posted
Quote:

the entire room is about 18'x25'x9' and has a 10'x10' kitchen attached, so that is about 4900^3 ft to fill........

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #648 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

hey Pete just as Al said it's an l shaped room with the bigger rectangle about 18'x25'x9' and has an attached 10'x10' kitchen. i already have a ULS so i was wondering if to ADD either a dual drive or another ULS and a MBM???
post #649 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the clarification Al and Kimwyn! Starting with one ULS, I would add one ULS and one MBM. Put the ULS's in a corner(s) furthest away from the kitchen opening, and place the MBM close to the main listening position.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #650 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

Thanks for the clarification Al and Kimwyn! Starting with one ULS, I would add one ULS and one MBM. Put the ULS's in a corner(s) furthest away from the kitchen opening, and place the MBM close to the main listening position.

Sincerely,

LOL Pete, but isn't that what I said? I kid no really I kid. I have had the dual drive now for over a year and me and Pete still talk every once in awhile.

So I kinda knew that Kimwyn wanted a dual drive anyway and I was figuring since Kmwyn lives in Barbados you might as well have them both delivered at the same time. Right Kim?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #651 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

You beat me to the punch Al As always, great advice you have given.

Kimwyn, most of us have never been to the Barbados, so post some pics when you get a chance

Pete - Hsu Research
post #652 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Nice to see some activity on this thread again...glad to see everyone is doing well.
post #653 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg View Post

Nice to see some activity on this thread again...glad to see everyone is doing well.

HEY DOG WHAT'S SUP?
You still enjoying your ULS? And have you got the second one yet?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #654 of 2713 Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:

HEY DOG WHAT'S SUP?

He and I both need a sale.
post #655 of 2713 Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:

HEY DOG WHAT'S SUP?

Love the ULS...kudos to Pete and his crew. No dual-drive yet but it's just a matter of time.
post #656 of 2713 Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

have any of you ULS guys watched Iron Man 2 as yet???? what are your takes on it???
post #657 of 2713 Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Saturday Double Feature is planned. Will report back Sunday

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #658 of 2713 Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......

Al, just the guy i wanted to hear. I wanna know how the dual drive will sound with it and also the quad drive from Harry too........
post #659 of 2713 Old 09-30-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Kimwyn when you get a chance watch Max Payne. I re-watched this last weekend and was amazed again at the LFE in this movie.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #660 of 2713 Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 PM

Liked: 17
How about a single ULS in a 1400 cubic foot room? From a PB12-NSD, how would this fare? I also do a lot of movie watching.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page