Official HSU ULS-15 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for you guys. Is the ULS-15 still a good deal in today's market? I know it's been on the market for 2 years so it's probably a fair question, even with the current sale on it. In other words, if you had your original money back would you still buy the ULS-15 today given the other options.

I had a HSU VTF-3 MK 2 Subwoofer (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3.html) for about 5 years. After the repair, I decided to sell it as the sub just wasn't cutting it in my new house. I was just underwhelmed by the bass in my new house.

I know that the ULS-15 would be an upgrade from what I had, but I'm just wondering if I should stay with HSU and go with the ULS-15 or if I should just buy an Epik Empire. Even on sale, the ULS-15 is ~1170 shipped versus ~940 shipped for an Empire. Somebody reassure me that I would not be crazy to spend 200+ bucks on a HSU. Has anyone heard both of these subs and can compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Question for you guys. Is the ULS-15 still a good deal in today's market? I know it's been on the market for 2 years so it's probably a fair question, even with the current sale on it. In other words, if you had your original money back would you still buy the ULS-15 today given the other options.

I had a HSU VTF-3 MK 2 Subwoofer (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3.html) for about 5 years. The amp died a few months back and I had it repaired. After the repair, I decided to sell it (even though HSU repaired it 100% properly) as the sub just wasn't cutting it in my new house. I was just underwhelmed by the bass in my new house. This was particulary painful as I sold it for pretty cheap and I had just paid ~150 bucks to fix the amp. But I just wasn't happy with the performance.

I know that the ULS-15 would be an upgrade from what I had, but I'm just wondering if I should stay with HSU and go with the ULS-15 or if I should just buy an Epik Empire. Even on sale, the ULS-15 is ~1170 shipped versus ~940 shipped for an Empire. Somebody reassure me that I would not be crazy to spend 200+ bucks on a HSU. Has anyone heard both of these subs and can compare?

Pretty sure HTG has heard both in pairs... how bigs the room?
post #723 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I had a HSU VTF-3 MK 2 Subwoofer (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3.html) for about 5 years. The amp died a few months back and I had it repaired. After the repair, I decided to sell it (even though HSU repaired it 100% properly) as the sub just wasn't cutting it in my new house. I was just underwhelmed by the bass in my new house. This was particulary painful as I sold it for pretty cheap and I had just paid ~150 bucks to fix the amp. But I just wasn't happy with the performance.

I have heard both. Question: What size room? Plus what are your listening habits?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #724 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

Finally ordered my second ULS today. Thank God the wait is soon over.....cant wait to receive this sub. Quick question, will the splitter in the link work for inputting the 2 subs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Splitter-c...item35ad79d7b6

Good for you Kimwyn. I guess we will be talking again real soon?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #725 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Yes we will be very soon......hhhhmmmmmm maybe not so soon as it will take a while before it actually reaches Barbados. So let's say around December when I move into the new place. Until then let the wait kill me..... Hey Al did you see the thread I started? I need your input in there. Thanks
post #726 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes we will be very soon......hhhhmmmmmm maybe not so soon as it will take a while before it actually reaches Barbados. So let's say around December when I move into the new place. Until then let the wait kill me..... Hey Al did you see the thread I started? I need your input in there. Thanks

Yes I did. I'll respond soon.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #727 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I think either would be a step up from your VTF3.2, although maybe not as big a step as you might think. I would guess that the Empire has stronger midbass than the ULS although the ULS would have stronger deep bass. Even though the Empire has two drivers, they are lesser performing drivers than the ULS driver. The Empire's drivers also have to divide the amplifier's power between them whereas the ULS driver gets the full force of its amp, so what is being compared is one high excursion 15" woofer vs two 15" woofers with less excursion ability. Keep in mind this is all just guessing based on comparing their specs.

Personally, I went with the ULS for its more attractive appearance, ruler flat FR, and low frequency extension. The ULS subs are just right for me, but there are a lot of good subs on the market. If you want a serious output increase after your VTF3.2 and can handle their larger size, you might consider the new Rythmik FV15HP or the Elemental Designs A7-350, either of which should have significantly more output than a ULS or Empire, while only costing a little bit more. Hsu is also unveiling a new subwoofer on Nov 6, it may be worth it to wait and see what it is for anyone on the market for a new subwoofer.
post #728 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Although the response was not for me I want to thank you shadyj for your help. You are really knowledgeable and seem to be a great help on the forums. Thanks again.
post #729 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Pretty sure HTG has heard both in pairs... how bigs the room?

The room is 13 (wide) x 25.5 (long). Ceiling is about 9 feet high.
post #730 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I have heard both. Question: What size room? Plus what are your listening habits?

The room is a basement. It's 13 (wide) x 25.5 (long). Ceiling is about 9 feet high.

I'd be using it almost exclusively for home theatre. We don't get anywhere near reference volume, I just want strong, tight bass. The VTF 3.2 just seemed to get lost in the room.
post #731 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although the response was not for me I want to thank you shadyj for your help. You are really knowledgeable and seem to be a great help on the forums. Thanks again.

+1 ShadyJ is the man!
post #732 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

ULS for its more attractive appearance, ruler flat FR, and low frequency extension.

The more attractive appearance is pretty subjective as I'm not paying for the veneers. But I agree 100% about the flat RF and extension.

Quote:

Rythmik FV15HP or the Elemental Designs A7-350.

I've been looking at these as well. It seems like the eD's have some amp issues and really lengthy build times. I'd be interested in a Rythmik but they seem expensive for what you get and have basically ZERO professional reviews (all I could find were old DIY kit reviews).

Quote:

Hsu is also unveiling a new subwoofer on Nov 6, it may be worth it to wait and see what it is for anyone on the market for a new subwoofer.

Isn't this going to be the re-release of their cylinder? If so, I'm not interested. Cylinders have ZERO WAF. Heck, I don't think I'd be good with that either.
post #733 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The room is a basement. It's 13 (wide) x 25.5 (long). Ceiling is about 9 feet high.

I'd be using it almost exclusively for home theatre. We don't get anywhere near reference volume, I just want strong, tight bass. The VTF 3.2 just seemed to get lost in the room.

So you were happy before with the VTF3 but since you have moved you find it lacking? Maybe the new room just needs more attention in placement. Basement can be harder to get subs to work right in. But you no longer have the VTF3 right?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #734 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliment Kimwyn!

Hey pbmpharmacist, do you have room for two subs in that room? To be honest I would try for multiple subs in your situation, as that room describes my home theater somewhat, although my ceilings are not as high. The width and depth are nearly the same, and home theater is in the basement as well. If you can, you might also go for near-field subwoofer placement. I flanked my couch with two VTF3 mk3s in endtable positions, with the drivers facing inward toward the couch. This bass is absolutely massive, let me tell you! Near-field placement can negate room size as a factor, and you have a pretty large room, with potential to overwhelm a single ULS or Empire, depending on placement and seating. Can you describe where your listening positions are with respect to your intended subwoofer placement?
post #735 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Pharmacist, I don't know that it will be the re-release of their cylinders, that was just a guess of mine. I know that the TN1220s were something they were looking at redoing, but the website says the sub they unveiling on the sixth is completely new, so I don't really know what to expect.
post #736 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you were happy before with the VTF3 but since you have moved you find it lacking? Maybe the new room just needs more attention in placement. Basement can be harder to get subs to work right in. But you no longer have the VTF3 right?

Yeah, the sub was sold. I wanted to try something new out anyway.

The room is completely different, so the room was definitely making a difference.
post #737 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment Kimwyn!

Hey pbmpharmacist, do you have room for two subs in that room? To be honest I would try for multiple subs in your situation, as that room describes my home theater somewhat, although my ceilings are not as high. The width and depth are nearly the same, and home theater is in the basement as well. If you can, you might also go for near-field subwoofer placement. I flanked my couch with two VTF3 mk3s in endtable positions, with the drivers facing inward toward the couch. This bass is absolutely massive, let me tell you! Near-field placement can negate room size as a factor, and you have a pretty large room, with potential to overwhelm a single ULS or Empire, depending on placement and seating. Can you describe where your listening positions are with respect to your intended subwoofer placement?
Yeah, I ended up moving the VTF near-field before I sold it and it did help.

I know this is a lame way to describe the room but this is the best I can do at the moment (SEE ATTACHMENT). The only natural place to put the sub is the rear right. There isn't room in the front right. The left right block access to the bathroom and closet. The left right ends up blocking access into the room, much more than the illustration below shows.

basement.txt 0.7216796875k . file
post #738 of 2713 Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, in addition to the HSU UL15 I'm considering a CraigSub. I live about 2 hours away from them and if I drive up there during their upcoming get together then I could get a CS18.1 series 2 for less than 800 bucks out the door (otherwise they want ~900 PLUS shipping PLUS tax). So again, trying to justify why I should stick with HSU. I thought this was as objective of a place to ask as any.
post #739 of 2713 Old 10-29-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, in addition to the HSU UL15 I'm considering a CraigSub. I live about 2 hours away from them and if I drive up there during their upcoming get together then I could get a CS18.1 series 2 for less than 800 bucks out the door (otherwise they want ~900 PLUS shipping PLUS tax). So again, trying to justify why I should stick with HSU. I thought this was as objective of a place to ask as any.

Well if you are only planning on having one subwoofer then I would think you should at least try out the CraigSub 18.2 instead of the 18.1. Get the most subwoofer you can afford. While it does not appear to go as low as the ULS-15, (23Hz v 15Hz) you would get more output then a single ULS-15. There has not been a comparision done yet between CS and Hsu's so it would be an adventure on your part.

Or you could think about a ULS-15 paired with a MBM-12 but then again that would be two subs, That combo would fill the basement better with enough output.

See we are not over the top fanboys here. We would rather help you make an informed decision. Happy hunting.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #740 of 2713 Old 10-29-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Part of my decision making, in deciding to go with Hsu, was the the longevity of the company and its rock-solid reputation for producing quality, high performance products. I considered the usual suspects, including one with a subwoofer and a price that was too good to be true. Ultimately it came to a choice that met my requirements of reputation, form, and specifications. Now, I don't want to imply that some newer upstarts out there are not manufacturing quality subs -- I'm not. I think there are some awesome and innovative products on the market now and wish I had the time and disposable income to try them all.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #741 of 2713 Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Part of my decision making, in deciding to go with Hsu, was the the longevity of the company and its rock-solid reputation for producing quality, high performance products. I considered the usual suspects, including one with a subwoofer and a price that was too good to be true. Ultimately it came to a choice that met my requirements of reputation, form, and specifications. Now, I don't want to imply that some newer upstarts out there are not manufacturing quality subs -- I'm not. I think there are some awesome and innovative products on the market now and wish I had the time and disposable income to try them all.

I agree that HSU is a well-run company. It is good to know that they'll probably be around a long time.
post #742 of 2713 Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well if you are only planning on having one subwoofer then I would think you should at least try out the CraigSub 18.2 instead of the 18.1. Get the most subwoofer you can afford. While it does not appear to go as low as the ULS-15, (23Hz v 15Hz) you would get more output then a single ULS-15. There has not been a comparision done yet between CS and Hsu's so it would be an adventure on your part.

Or you could think about a ULS-15 paired with a MBM-12 but then again that would be two subs, That combo would fill the basement better with enough output.

See we are not over the top fanboys here. We would rather help you make an informed decision. Happy hunting.

I'd like to keep it to one sub, but I know that the prevailing thought around here is to get 2.

Anyway, you really think one ULS-15 isn't going to be enough for my room? If so, that is pretty disheartening that 1100 bucks won't be enough to handle my room.
post #743 of 2713 Old 10-29-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd like to keep it to one sub, but I know that the prevailing thought around here is to get 2.

Anyway, you really think one ULS-15 isn't going to be enough for my room? If so, that is pretty disheartening that 1100 bucks won't be enough to handle my room.

No, I really think that it is dependent on the room and your willingness to try all available placement options. The ULS-15 is not a plug and play subwoofer. It requires a good deal of work to intergrate it properly into it's environment. You do not seem to have many options on placement in your room. So with that said you might also have trouble with any sub you decide on getting.

May I ask why you are contemplating sealed subs instead of ported designs?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #744 of 2713 Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I really think that it is dependent on the room and your willingness to try all available placement options. The ULS-15 is not a plug and play subwoofer. It requires a good deal of work to intergrate it properly into it's environment. You do not seem to have many options on placement in your room. So with that said you might also have trouble with any sub you decide on getting.

May I ask why you are contemplating sealed subs instead of ported designs?

I was thinking abou sealed to reduce any boominess and also to try something new.
post #745 of 2713 Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking abou sealed to reduce any boominess and also to try something new.

A sealed sub can be just as boomy as a ported one and visa versa. The boominess comes from the interaction of the room and where the subwoofer is place. Plus the settings on the subwoofer and the AVR, if not properly set can cause issues. Just an FYI.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #746 of 2713 Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Any ULS owners picked up Toy Story 3 as yet? Heard it's lovely.....i need some testimonials from my fellow ULSers.
post #747 of 2713 Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any ULS owners picked up Toy Story 3 as yet? Heard it's lovely.....i need some testimonials from my fellow ULSers.

Tomorrow. Already downloaded the $8 off coupon from Disney. Not expecting alot of LFE. We'll see.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #748 of 2713 Old 11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Well as i have always said about Toy Story 2 and if its anything as good as that then you are definitely in for a treat
post #749 of 2713 Old 11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
if you want new LFE, try the the new mini series from HBO The Pacific. It comes out tomorrow as well.
post #750 of 2713 Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I communicated today with Dr Hsu. I was alsking about the ULS-15 and he recommended that I get the new product debuting this weekend. I think it's supposed to be a cylinder sub, but I'm not sure. Should be interesting.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page