post #61 of 2713 Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

they went to steal your Von Schweikert's!

LOL. I am vigilantly protecting them.

Kaboom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2713 Old 05-18-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
After reading this forum for 9 months I decided to go wth a ULS-15 Dual Drive system. Here is the reason I picked the ULS-15s. I wanted a powerful subwoofer (1000 watt) with super low extension (10 HZ) in a premium finish (Walnut) to be placed inside a family room which is open to everything on the first floor (8000 cubic or more). My listening habits are 50% HT/ 50% Music so I was leaning towards a sealed sub.

Since I already own a Velodyne HGS-12 and a VA-1012, my midbass in room response was great. While I was waiting on the Hsu's to arrive I even thought "Why do I need any more wooferage?"

Well after setting them up and dialing them in, which took almost three weekends, you all know, place one here then move one there then swap this one with that one and so on I put the normal demo material on. TDK, Ironman, Incredible Hulk and others. All I can say is the same as Robin in Batman and Robin: "Holy (insert), Batman!" . The Ironhide flip in Transformers was grinning provoking. I have never experience the full spectrum of bass like that before. The sound cannons in Incredible Hulk chased away all of the wildlife in the back yard. JK but it was easy for the Hsu's to play the 10 hz information in that scene. I also now believe that I am in the cave with Ironman. Along with watching David Gilmore live at the Royal Albert Hall and the Eagle's Farewell tour from Melborn my collection of video concerts including the ones played on the MTV HD channel Paladium never sounded better.

All of the demos i have shown to friends and neighbors all commented the same way. They proclaimed "That's the cleanest bass I have ever heard."

Also. I can't believe some of you that actually bought the Quad drives. But I guess in my own way I am using four subs so I guess I understand. I could get by with just the two Hsu's, since they are quite powerful even when the gain is only set at 10:00.

So if you all are looking for outstanding cabinet workmanship in a well rounded 15" powerful subwoofer you too might want to check out the ULS-15s.

See signature for location of pics. One is by the couch and one is in between our recliners.

Peace

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #63 of 2713 Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Glad you like them man!

They are true deep bass machines...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #64 of 2713 Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Yep. Glad to hear.

Kaboom.
post #65 of 2713 Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks hometheatergeek, I really appreciate that! I'm so happy that you like them

Recently in our demo room, we have been running two ULS-15's in the back left/right corner (along with the other STF/VTF subs in the back). Everyone who gets a chance to listen to the multiple subs is amazed at how much difference it makes vs a single subwoofer. Interestingly enough, I am able to set the crossover at 150Hz and even 200Hz without the ULS's being localizeable at the main listening position! The ULS has a flat response out well past 200Hz (to maybe 400-500Hz), and very low distortion in general at regular listening levels too, so it works very well in this scenario.

I'm glad that some of you guys are able to try out multiple subs. It is a real eye opener for a lot of people when they get a chance to experience it!

Pete - Hsu Research
post #66 of 2713 Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Pete,

I'm still having trouble with the clipping on my ULS-15. I've done everything you suggested but it's still there and driving me bats!
post #67 of 2713 Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for talking with me on the phone, Pete. It will be on it's way as soon as I can get it to FedEx.
post #68 of 2713 Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't recall seeing the ULS-15s discounted before.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15.html

ULS-15 DualDrive

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15dualdrive.html

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #69 of 2713 Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. It is actually the first time.

Cacimar Hernandez
post #70 of 2713 Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a great price for a great sub. Its like getting a discount plus free shipping from regular price. Wish I knew this was coming, I could have saved some mulah.

If anyone is on the fence this just might put them over the edge and pop for one or two. I can seriously say they really are great subs and I wished I had bought mine last year when thery first came out.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #71 of 2713 Old 06-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Duel ULS-15s here I come... just ordered them, big shout out to Hometheatergeek for one wicked demo and Pete at Hsu for the pre-sale help.

I really can't wait... but I have a vacation between now and when the subs arrive... I can't wait for vacation (June 25th) to be over so I can start playing with the subs
post #72 of 2713 Old 06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid View Post

Duel ULS-15s here I come... just ordered them, big shout out to Hometheatergeek for one wicked demo and Pete at Hsu for the pre-sale help.

I really can't wait... but I have a vacation between now and when the subs arrive... I can't wait for vacation (June 25th) to be over so I can start playing with the subs

Congrats I am sure you will be pleased

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19489740
post #73 of 2713 Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 PM

I have been trying to decide on subs for my 5000^3 ft + bonus room. I was leaning toward getting a single SVS PB13 Ultra now and buying another later. I was also considering getting two SVS PB12+ subs; however, the current deal on the ULS-15 is really, really nice.

How does the DualDrive ULS-15 compare to the above configurations? This will mainly be used for HT and gaming, but I also enjoy listening to music.
post #74 of 2713 Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post

I have been trying to decide on subs for my 5000^3 ft + bonus room. I was leaning toward getting a single SVS PB13 Ultra now and buying another later. I was also considering getting two SVS PB12+ subs; however, the current deal on the ULS-15 is really, really nice.

How does the DualDrive ULS-15 compare to the above configurations? This will mainly be used for HT and gaming, but I also enjoy listening to music.

If you post in this thread you can almost guess the response you will get and if you also post in the SVS thread same kind of results.

They are all excellent subs.

So it comes down to your budget.

If you look at my eariler post I explain why I went with the Dual Drive. I listen to as much music as I watch movies.

This is not to say that the Ultra PB-13 is not musical. I have never heard that sub. I would like to hear a SVS Ultra if there is anyone in Atlanta Metro that owns one. Then I could give a comparison but it still would not be as good as comparing them in the same room at the same time. Unless we have a SUB GTG.

Tough dilemma ain't it? If you want the HSU ULS-15 at the sale price you will have to hurry. On the other hand maybe you can see if anyone in your area can let you listen to the models you are considering and hope another sale will come along. Hope this helped.

Peace

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #75 of 2713 Old 06-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Didn't really have the ULS-15 on the radar for my sub purchase (my price point was $1000 bucks) to replace my Infinity IL120 but when it went on sale I took the plunge for my 4500 cu. ft. irregularly shaped room.

Ordered on friday evening, shipped monday and arrived wednesday (CA to AZ) in great shape via FedEx ground. After about 3 attempts at calibration using Audyssey (Onkyo 876) and a failed wireless connection (more on that in a bit) I ended up placing it in the back corner due to my wiring limitations as opposed to the nearfield as recommended and couldn't be happier. I put in "Master and Commander" and those gun battles just rock the room. The Audyssey ended up putting the db's on the sub at -8.5 (the ULS-15 is about 10 feet from the sweet spot listening area) and it's nice tight bass sounded amazing. I was a little concerned I may have needed dual-drive when it shipped but I no longer see the need... it's a ton of subwoofer for the room.

The only issue I ran into on the sub was with the wireless setup. I have a 4 wireless sources in my room (Xbox 360 wireless LAN, Wii, Directv has a wireless LAN connected to it for OnDemand, and the wireless controller for the XBox 360) and on all four channels of the HSU, it would interfere with something. The wireless transmitter messed with the 360's controllers the worst... bringing the xbox to actually freeze when a subwoofer signal was sent.

My A/V setup is all about movies and gaming... despite the ULS-15 as being proclaimed as a 'musical sub' it's more than up to the task as a HT sub. The wireless issues aside (wireless wasn't the primary reason for me purchasing, i was looking for a fantastic sub) i'll be very happy with the ULS-15 for the forseeable future.
post #76 of 2713 Old 06-14-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the family Jack,

Glad you are enjoying your new purchase and finding out, that the naysayers on this forum, incorrectly state that no one would be happy with these subs. You might just have to start to listen to some good CDs to further enjoy your sub.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #77 of 2713 Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Welcome to the family Jack,

Glad you are enjoying your new purchase and finding out, that the naysayers on this forum, incorrectly state that no one would be happy with these subs. You might just have to start to listen to some good CDs to further enjoy your sub.

haha, you must be talking about THIS GUY. He definately has a system of which sub to purchase (SUBMERSIVE > SVS > EPIK > HSU> VEL... ) without taking into account different models, room sizes and budgets. One thing you learn quickly on these boards is it's all subjective. Is a Submersive better than a JBL? We'd all say yes if we skipped over the paragraph stating the purchaser has a $400 budget and is going to pair them with his 3" sony satellite cubes.
post #78 of 2713 Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Fourth of July Special on the ULS-15 as well as other Hsu products. Wood Veneer and Piano Black finish this time.

Happy Birthday America.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #79 of 2713 Old 07-01-2009, 04:08 PM

I got one! I ordered it Friday and it arrived Tuesday. That's fast service. The rosewood is finished beautifully.
post #80 of 2713 Old 07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the family. Rosewood must look awesome. Need pictures ASAP.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #81 of 2713 Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlinca View Post

I got one! I ordered it Friday and it arrived Tuesday. That's fast service. The rosewood is finished beautifully.

Color me ever so slightly jealous. I jumped on the black satin two-fer Fathers' Day sale. OTOH, that hammered my wallet quite enough.

I'm still trying to learn a vocabulary to speak about what I hear.

-= Jed =-
post #82 of 2713 Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to order 2 ULS 15s in Rosenut but I live in Canada. Dammit!!

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #83 of 2713 Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

I want to order 2 ULS 15s in Rosenut but I live in Canada. Dammit!!

Call Pete at HSU. Last time I checked they ship to Canada. Or is it the duties and extra fees that concern you?

BTW nice name you got there. I play poker too.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #84 of 2713 Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Call Pete at HSU. Last time I checked they ship to Canada. Or is it the duties and extra fees that concern you?

With shipping and taxes it wouldn't be worth it. I'm talking nearly double the price. The only HSU dealer in my area is now selling SVS. I got a PB10, which is a wonderful sub but I'm relocating my HT room and need a dual setup to be effective.

In canada we have ONE subwoofer option - SVS, that's it.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #85 of 2713 Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

With shipping and taxes it wouldn't be worth it. I'm talking nearly double the price. The only HSU dealer in my area is now selling SVS. I got a PB10, which is a wonderful sub but I'm relocating my HT room and need a dual setup to be effective.

In canada we have ONE subwoofer option - SVS, that's it.

That is not necessarily true. We do have a few decent options. SVS, Axiom, Paradigm, Velodyne, just to name a few. And, I know of another Canadian member who just recently got some reasonable quotes on a few US ID products, all taxes, fees and shipping included. The one quote I remember off the top of my head was the Seaton Submersive to his door for a little over 2400. Not too bad really...
post #86 of 2713 Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

That is not necessarily true. We do have a few decent options. SVS, Axiom, Paradigm, Velodyne, just to name a few. And, I know of another Canadian member who just recently got some reasonable quotes on a few US ID products, all taxes, fees and shipping included. The one quote I remember off the top of my head was the Seaton Submersive to his door for a little over 2400. Not too bad really...

I seem to remember that the SVS PB-13 Ultra has a delivered price of under $2,000, but I don't the exact figure.
post #87 of 2713 Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I seem to remember that the SVS PB-13 Ultra has a delivered price of under $2,000, but I don't the exact figure.

Taxes in, the PB13 from Sonic Boom would put most Canadians in the ~2200-2250 range, and in Alberta ~2100. Considering that price on a PB13, it makes an imported Submersive for ~2400-2500 look very attractive.
post #88 of 2713 Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Taxes in, the PB13 from Sonic Boom would put most Canadians in the ~2200-2250 range, and in Alberta ~2100. Considering that price on a PB13, it makes an imported Submersive for ~2400-2500 look very attractive.

The highlighted portion is something I cant ignore....let me just say that there are better
looking subs out there.
I do understand your talking about value for your money tho....

Anyways, what I really wanted to add, if a product is sold to an individual outside the province from where it came, only the GST has to be paid. Its not just an Alberta deal.

And with a price of $1995 U.S., a price of $2400 Canadian would be very good. Unfortunately with the exchange rate and shipping costs, I would think more in the $27-2800 range.
post #89 of 2713 Old 07-04-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You all won't mind taking your talk about your PB-13 to your own thread now. This is the ULS-15 thread. Thank you very much.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #90 of 2713 Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
New review of the ULS-15 is up. Not my favorite publication, but it is a review.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue44/hsu.htm

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page