Official HSU ULS-15 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This is odd because I have ported subs and I get the same from TV as from BluRay.

Bill

Dual Submersive HP's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New HT Room -  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoo View Post

So should I resign myself to fact that I will only really appreciate the impact of these subs with blue ray movies and maybe a little from television if decent feed from direct tv? If so, I can relax and learn to live with my duals in an imperfect world.

I've got Directv also... as someone else above mentions it really depends on the channel. 'Slumdog Millionaire' on DTV (if you have premium channels) really sends my room into a (good) sub frenzy, more than nearly every blu-ray i have.

This really doens't have much to do with the sub. Check to see if your receiver has the ability to change audio settings depending on source. For example I have an Onkyo tx-sr876 and I have DirecTV input source set to play +2db's higher than my blu-ray source, since DirecTV usually sounds flat to me. Some receivers allow you adjust bass/equalization per input... depends on what you have.

post #183 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
so you guys only appreciate these subs with limited source materials as well? that's good to hear, as misery loves company
post #184 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

so you guys only appreciate these subs with limited source materials as well? that's good to hear, as misery loves company

That's not true Tomtoo. My system sounds great on all sources which include TV, Blu-ray, DVD, cassette player, turntable or network file server.

Did you just run the AVR Auto setup and left it at that and have not fine tuned it yet? If so it is not completely calibrated yet. You need to read some more articles that are available here on this and other forums to help you learn all of the different ways to calibrate a system. Or as I told you before you need to find someone locallly that knows how to do a calibration.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #185 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I'll be honest. I'm not sure what you're looking for. You've told us that the sub sounds good with blu-ray content. Obviously the limitation isn't with the sub.

This is similar to owning a porsche and coming in here complaning that the car is a smooth ride on the highway, but the car sucks because it feels like crap over potholes and dirt roads.

post #186 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Well Mr. Jackoften, I was looking for confirmation that I am not missing anything with sealed subs that ported might resolve - but it sounds like no from what I've heard. I was looking to know that I should stick with what I have before my 30days runs out to return, giving me time later to fix all the complaints I have. Most of all, I think there is something wrong my new rx-v3900 receiver as it takes setting the gain on sub to plus 8 and all other speakers to around minus 6 or 7 when it auto calibrates to get the sub to play loud and play right with my system. These are problems that seem to present a significant impediment to me making an informed decision about my new subs. I was just looking for confirmation that I bought the right subs......
post #187 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well Mr. Jackoften, I was looking for confirmation that I am not missing anything with sealed subs that ported might resolve - but it sounds like no from what I've heard. I was looking to know that I should stick with what I have before my 30days runs out to return, giving me time later to fix all the complaints I have. Most of all, I think there is something wrong my new rx-v3900 receiver as it takes setting the gain on sub to plus 8 and all other speakers to around minus 6 or 7 when it auto calibrates to get the sub to play loud and play right with my system. These are problems that seem to present a significant impediment to me making an informed decision about my new subs. I was just looking for confirmation that I bought the right subs......

The problem is with YAPO in the Yamaha. You have to help it along in order for it to work right. What is you sub volume set at on the subwoofers?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #188 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Ported subs are *generally* louder. Sealed = lower

Have you tried working with your phase and trim settings? Dual Drive... right? What size room?

An Integra 8.9 instead of the Yamaha may fix the issues as well (same price range).

post #189 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 AM

My duals are set at recommended 11oclock/second notch setting. I suspect there is some problem with a muting transistor or something else in the sub preout area of receiver that would cause me to have such a severe auto calibration result - I'm just happy it sounds decent now. I played with the phase on subs, but not phase settings on receiver.
post #190 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Nothing wrong with setting the sub's gain (volume) controls to 2 o'clock or so if you want the receiver's levels to match more evenly. I suspect that the 11 setting from Hsu is intended to be a starting point so that the subs are not too loud when first set up.

Note that if you have any hum pickup from your sub cable to the receiver, setting the sub's control higher will make the hum louder.

My quad ULS-15s are all set at about 2 o'clock, but that is because I am driving all 4 from one sub output from my receiver.

What the receiver sets each speaker level to is rather ambiguous anyway. The goal is for the levels to be matched. With that in mind, a ported will not be louder than a sealed if the volume is matched. It may sound louder due to port noise, difference in frequency response or boominess, but in reality it will not.

As to which will actually PLAY louder - there are many variables that are independent of enclosure design, such as amp power, efficiency of the sub's driver (speaker) itself, whether the sub's amp has volume limiting (to prevent distortion) etc.
post #191 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My duals are set at recommended 11oclock/second notch setting. I suspect there is some problem with a muting transistor or something else in the sub preout area of receiver that would cause me to have such a severe auto calibration result - I'm just happy it sounds decent now. I played with the phase on subs, but not phase settings on receiver.

Ok that is right with the volume.

Next question: Have you checked the crossover toggle switch on the sub? It should be set to OUT. Please confirm and post back your findings. Because I want to help you as best I can over the internet if possible.

After that we can check some settings on the AVR. Is that OK with you?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #192 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM

That's good to hear. I will try knocking subs up toward 12:00 spot and tweak a little more. Then maybe hsu can get my wireless working (one sub will not light up to recognize wireless transmitter).... damn this hobby
post #193 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

x overs both set to OUT. At work now - will have to wait till later tonite to mess with this stuff
post #194 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's good to hear. I will try knocking subs up toward 12:00 spot and tweak a little more. Then maybe hsu can get my wireless working (one sub will not light up to recognize wireless transmitter).... damn this hobby

Quote:

x overs both set to OUT. At work now - will have to wait till later tonite to mess with this stuff

Your on the wrong forum if you are going to "damn this hobby" LOL
This is the best part of the hobby besides hunting for the next best thing to purchase. So Buck Up You Hear!

I will check the forum after seven tonight or send me a PM with your phone number and I can call if you like. And just to let you know I had to help another forum member called vivid with his calibration. He is local to me. Dual subs are alot harder to configure than one sub so hang in there.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #195 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks - I will see what I can get to tonite. For HJONES, I looked pictures of your setup - and you commented on the distance between subs and wavelength in a prior thread. Are you guys all engineers or something? Is there an ideal distance you have discovered that I should try? Thanks
post #196 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks - I will see what I can get to tonite. For HJONES, I looked pictures of your setup - and you commented on the distance between subs and wavelength in a prior thread. Are you guys all engineers or something? Is there an ideal distance you have discovered that I should try? Thanks

Yep, I are an engineer. The biggest factor, tho, is that I have been tinkering with this stuff for 49 years! Built my first stereo from a Knight Kit when I was 11. 11 + 49 = 60... I are getting old

The discussion about distance related to obtaining acoustic coupling between the subs, and related to gain from corner placement. Two subs side by side gives a 6 db gain in volume due to acoustic coupling. Putting a sub in a room corner gives a 6 db gain over being out in the middle of the room.

What I was trying to determine is how far away the subs can be from each other and still get the coupling. There was another factor in play here, related to smoothing out freq response by having the subs spread out (evening out of room modes). What I learned is that the subs can be 1/4th to 1/8th wavelength apart and still get the benefits of acoustic coupling. Same for distance away from the room corner.

When you REALLY get serious about this stuff you will fill your room with bass traps and be in bass nirvana. Then, everyone that enters your room will look at you really strangely Went thru that with my brother over Christmas. Then I played the car chase scene at the first of Quantum of Solace at reference level and he understood...
post #197 of 2713 Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Long time no see Mr. Jones. I'll be in Birmingham next week Monday through Wednesday. Maybe you can pick me up from the Sheraton Hotel next to the Convention Cnter and take me to your cave.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #198 of 2713 Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hsu ULS-15

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:

post #199 of 2713 Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I want to give hjones a huge Thank You for your southern hospitality.

In case you other readers didn't know, Harry picked me up from the Sheraton hotel in downtown Birmingham and took me to his wonderful home. I first had to play with his new puppy. Yes dogs take precedent. Then it was off to his HT room.

Well all I can say is WOW. Seeing four Klipschorns in that room was a sight to behold. Then of course sitting in front of the front speakers like pawns in a chess game were the four ULS-15s. A Quad Drive in Walnut sitting there just waiting to be abused. Well Of course Harry obliged.

We started out listening to some of the Chris Botti Bluray and some of the Stevie Wonder Bluray. Along with the DVD of the Eagles "Farewell Tour 1".
Well all I got to say is JUST DAMN. Imagine if you will sitting inside a very large set of headphones where the iindividual instruments are scattered around a 360 degree circle. And then throw in the bass from the Hsus and you would never need to go to a live concert again. His system can easily hit 130 dbs without any hint of running out of steam.

We then moved on to some movie demos. We started with the first scene from the Quantum of Solace. When that was over I had to take the time to remove the glass and the bullets from my body. That was how intense it was. We watch a couple of other movies then I showed him the scene from Transformers where the helicopter flys into the air base. Then of course I had to show him the Ironhide flip near the end of the movie at least three time. We both had the same response, grinning and giggling like little boys who just got away with something.

I forgot that you hadn't seen it before Harry, so when are you going to add this to your collection?

Unfortunately we ran out of time and I was unable to hear my copy of Terminator Salvation. But in May I might get the chance when I have to return to Birmingham.

In closing like you predicted Harry, once my Velodynes die I will have to get a couple more of these extraordinary subwoofers. I hope that Hsu does not discontinue this model unless they get a hankering to build an 18 incher. Hint Hint.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #200 of 2713 Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

hey, thats great testimony but unfortunately, i am moving (due to some very unfortunate circumstances) and will no longer be able to get these subs cause the room is WWWWAAAAYYYYY too small (15' x 10'). i was actually pairing the dual drive with the Paradigm Studio 100s but that idea is through the door until later (probably very later). but until then i guess i will have to listen to testimonies like these.

P.S dont you guys find that this thread moves extremely slow?????
post #201 of 2713 Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Rosenut and walnut versions of the ULS-15s are 200 dollars off right now.

hmmmmmm Might have to call Pete tomorrow morning.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------

post #202 of 2713 Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Well I want to give hjones a huge Thank You for your southern hospitality.

In case you other readers didn't know, Harry picked me up from the Sheraton hotel in downtown Birmingham and took me to his wonderful home. I first had to play with his new puppy. Yes dogs take precedent. Then it was off to his HT room.

Well all I can say is WOW. Seeing four Klipschorns in that room was a sight to behold. Then of course sitting in front of the front speakers like pawns in a chess game were the four ULS-15s. A Quad Drive in Walnut sitting there just waiting to be abused. Well Of course Harry obliged.

We started out listening to some of the Chris Botti Bluray and some of the Stevie Wonder Bluray. Along with the DVD of the Eagles "Farewell Tour 1".
Well all I got to say is JUST DAMN. Imagine if you will sitting inside a very large set of headphones where the iindividual instruments are scattered around a 360 degree circle. And then throw in the bass from the Hsus and you would never need to go to a live concert again. His system can easily hit 130 dbs without any hint of running out of steam.

We then moved on to some movie demos. We started with the first scene from the Quantum of Solace. When that was over I had to take the time to remove the glass and the bullets from my body. That was how intense it was. We watch a couple of other movies then I showed him the scene from Transformers where the helicopter flys into the air base. Then of course I had to show him the Ironhide flip near the end of the movie at least three time. We both had the same response, grinning and giggling like little boys who just got away with something.

I forgot that you hadn't seen it before Harry, so when are you going to add this to your collection?

Unfortunately we ran out of time and I was unable to hear my copy of Terminator Salvation. But in May I might get the chance when I have to return to Birmingham.

In closing like you predicted Harry, once my Velodynes die I will have to get a couple more of these extraordinary subwoofers. I hope that Hsu does not discontinue this model unless they get a hankering to build an 18 incher. Hint Hint.

Hjones,
Nice to hear that you are putting the quad drive to good use
Find there limit yet ?

RayJr

"
"

post #203 of 2713 Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are you all doing for feet on the ULS-15s? Are you sticking with those stock brass spikes? I know we want the beasties planted firmly on the floor, but it can sure be hard to shift the boxes come cleaning day.

-= Jed =-
post #204 of 2713 Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

Hjones,
Nice to hear that you are putting the quad drive to good use
Find there limit yet ?

RayJr

I need to ask Pete for a comission, especially if the 'geek buys another pair

We have a new puppy who is terrified of those subs. She has to be in my laps when I am in the HT, so it is rare for me to give the subs a proper excercise
post #205 of 2713 Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobeli View Post

What are you all doing for feet on the ULS-15s? Are you sticking with those stock brass spikes? I know we want the beasties planted firmly on the floor, but it can sure be hard to shift the boxes come cleaning day.

Mine were not brass; they are rubber and they hold in place (on carpet) very well. One thing I noticed when I first got them - black marks from the feet on the carpet when I moved them. Not sure if that is common, but it happened on all 4 of mine.
post #206 of 2713 Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post

Mine were not brass; they are rubber and they hold in place (on carpet) very well. One thing I noticed when I first got them - black marks from the feet on the carpet when I moved them. Not sure if that is common, but it happened on all 4 of mine.

The brass spikes are not stock, at least not with all finishes. I have a set of spikes for each of mine and I agree that moving a ULS-15 with spikes installed can be a bit tricky. Since mine are on carpet, I make sure I clean around the sub (I don't want to scratch the finish) before moving it, then I carefully turn it on its side. If you have the black lacquer finish, you may want to lay a quilt down before moving your sub.

post #207 of 2713 Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

It's not a sealed vs. ported issue. It's really more to do with the source material.

I can certainly attest to this.

I got my Outlaw Audio sub (which is bascially an HSU) and plugged it in, hoping to get a much louder thud than my last two subs that didnt go nearly as low. Well, I was a bit disappointed when watching House. I figured "wait until I get my 2nd sub, then I will judge". I also noticed that while playing GOW II, there was much thud either.

Well, I slapped Silent Hill on BD last night and OH MY GOD. I literally had the couch shaking...and the sub is 11 ft away. In fact, it was actually TOO loud (i live in an apartment).

SO yes, source material DOES mean a lot.
post #208 of 2713 Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

I have to admit, I do love the deep bass these put out. In my room it is definitely impressive. I even really like how they sound for music with my PSB Syncrony One towers and I usually just play those full range.

I think I may need two more now... lol

(even though it does get quite annoying having to re-align all the pictures and art work on my walls after a good movie...
post #209 of 2713 Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

back on track and getting one of these babies.....cant wait!!!!
post #210 of 2713 Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Just ordered the HSU ULS-15. Looking foe any advice.

Will be using it with (6) Canton CT 1000's for HT with a Denon 4308IC and a Panasonic 80 BR and FLAC Music Server.

The Canton's got down to 20Hz for REAL!

What might be the best way to go? Let the Denon handle the show?

How will this sub work with speakers that go this low? The Sunfire was NOT up to the task.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page