post #2701 of 2713 Old 03-07-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

There are 2 different ULS-15 drivers? What's the difference between the old and new drivers?

It looks like he is talking about the outgoing malfunctioning driver, and the replacement driver he received from Hsu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2713 Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

There are 2 different ULS-15 drivers? What's the difference between the old and new drivers?

No. If you re-read Shadyj's post, he says IF there were a Mk II version--but there isn't.
post #2703 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, noob here,
With much help from ShadyJ and others, just joined the ULS 15 Club!
And yes, me want more!

Previous thread started because wasn't sure if I should minimally upgrade my whole system or focus on just a sub.
Had a PA-120.

Background:

room size (remeasured) about 30ft by 20ft.
ULS now located nearfield, next to couch pointing forward (wireless)
And my couch is 12 ft. From front of TV.(82 inch mits dlp)

Finished reading through this thread and currently waiting on SPL meter for fine tuning.\

ULF Trim confuses me. And don't know if my room is considered, large or medium or small...
Had the ULF trim at 50, and volume level at 10 oclock.
MultEQ XT frrom Denon receiver set level at -0.5
tested again, trim set about 10 oclock, (close to 16)
and Audyssey set receiver to -5
But manually raised it to -2.
ShadyJ advised me to leave at 50 and wait on changes until I get the SPL meter, but couldn't resist..

Other speakers are JBL l830 Bookshelfs with crossover set at 80.

The lows sound great, but the mid bass a little lacking, and more so when trim was lowered.
Does that sound correct?

Shady already advised that I probably need 2 subs in my setup.

Would I get a fuller midbass with another ULS? or would an MBM12 fit the bill better.
With the one now I get deep and low rumbling watching movies like Tron and Intro to Prometheus. Couch and windows rattling. loved it, even got a little concerned about my 125 gallon reef tank on the back wall...
But right now seems like theres a "gap" between the real lows and the upper ranges.

Thanks for any help!
post #2704 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 PM

rough room diagram

room.jpg 41k .jpg file
post #2705 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 592
The Trim boosts the deep frequencies down to 15 Hz. The problem is that can end up pushing the woofer hard. It's not good for the woofer if you beat it up too much. The ULF Trim is for when you want flatter to deep bass response and don't intend to push the sub that hard. If you want to play it loud, just leave the trim at 50 Hz. If you want more mid bass, set the trim to 50 Hz, and run the sub hot in the receiver. This will put more accentuation on mid bass. The MBM-12 would definitely get you more mid bass, but your system might be pretty mid bass heavy at that point. I wouldn't get a MBM-12 until you have measured your room and can see your own response. That will tell you how beneficial a MBM-12 can be. If it were me, I would go for another ULS-15. You will still want to see your room response though, that will tell you what your weak spots are exactly, and it will help determine the best placement for the subs. (hell why not get both a MBM-12 and another ULS-15)
post #2706 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 748

You could have a null at your MLP at a particular mid bass frequency.  My advice would be to download REW from hometheatershack.com, order a Umik-1 mic from miniDSP and measure the room.  This will tell you if you have a null and need to change placement or add another sub.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #2707 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Thanks,
Will calibrate further with Spl. Can I use regular Spl with REW or do I need the umik 1?

Also, noob question, but if power level on sub is only at 10 o'clock, and gain on Receiver set to roughly 0. I can still drive the sub too hard?

Also, by setting sub at 50. I'd be sacrificing anything below that?

Thanks for your patience.
post #2708 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 03:53 PM

I started last thread, saying Ive gone down the rabbit hole.
I'm deep in it now!
Lol.
I'll probably end up with dual drive and the mbm in the long run... Just waiting for my mind to realize it.
post #2709 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

For guidance on using REW, there is a link in my signature. To use the SPL with REW, you would need to purchase an external USB sound card, and the setup is considerably more complex. Purchasing a USB mic is a long-term investment, and makes REW easy to set up. If you are serious about integrating your sub(s) and improving your bass, then analyzing your room's response is a must. And multiple subs always improve the smoothness of the response (I have four). I have never been a big fan of the MBM, feeling that you get better overall performance, and easier integration, by adding a second identical sub.

As for the ULS trim, my approach has always been to run Audyssey calibration with the trim set to 50. Post-calibration, you can get approximately 5dB boost below 50Hz by dialing the trim down to 16, kind of like a "house curve". I have never over-driven my ULS-15's by lowering the ULF trim. However, I prefer to keep it set to 50.
post #2710 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

For guidance on using REW, there is a link in my signature. To use the SPL with REW, you would need to purchase an external USB sound card, and the setup is considerably more complex. Purchasing a USB mic is a long-term investment, and makes REW easy to set up. If you are serious about integrating your sub(s) and improving your bass, then analyzing your room's response is a must. And multiple subs always improve the smoothness of the response (I have four). I have never been a big fan of the MBM, feeling that you get better overall performance, and easier integration, by adding a second identical sub.

As for the ULS trim, my approach has always been to run Audyssey calibration with the trim set to 50. Post-calibration, you can get approximately 5dB boost below 50Hz by dialing the trim down to 16, kind of like a "house curve". I have never over-driven my ULS-15's by lowering the ULF trim. However, I prefer to keep it set to 50.

You really love your HSUs, enough to have four of them tongue.gif.

IIRC didn't you ping Dr. Hsu about the MBM, when you were trying to improve the smoothness of your bass response after having the Dual Drive, and decided that overall, a second pair of ULS-15s up front was a better idea than the near field MBM/far field true sub approach?

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #2711 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 04:40 PM

thank you AustinJerry,
Will get a usb mic.
And set to 50 and leave it alone till i can get concrete measurements...
post #2712 of 2713 Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

You really love your HSUs, enough to have four of them tongue.gif.

IIRC didn't you ping Dr. Hsu about the MBM, when you were trying to improve the smoothness of your bass response after having the Dual Drive, and decided that overall, a second pair of ULS-15s up front was a better idea than the near field MBM/far field true sub approach?

Maybe, I can't remember that far back. Being an Audyssey aficionado, I just don't know how to integrate the MBM properly.
post #2713 of 2713 Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thumbs up Awesome costumer service

Very happy with how HSU handled the technical issues of my ULS-15.Power supply failed the other day.Called their technical department Leo was the technician that answered.He was very helpful and patient.Sent the amp 3 days later got it back.
Thank you HSU Research.
Great company.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page