JL Audio Fathom Subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if this can be posted but I notice that there are a lot of Fathom subs especially the 113 for sale on Agon. I wonder why. They wouldn't let me post this question.

Donald S Konicoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
probably due to the economy lots of people out of work etc
post #3 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just looked. There are about 20 classifieds for Fathoms at agon. Many of them are NIB being sold by dealers. One is just an ad for in store demos. One or two of the listings are already sold.

Just ask the sellers themselves. One description says downgrading, and another says upgrading to bigger JL's. One is NIB for someone who doesn't have enough to finish the HT.

I think I counted 10 fathoms, among the three sizes, which are being sold as used, with one in Canada.

Are 10 used subs among three models a lot? One for every five states?

btw, thanks. Will now keep eyes peeled for killer deal on satin F113.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 04:27 PM

Liked: 11
It appears that most of these Fathoms are from dealers dumping their inventory. Hard times and slumping audio sales are apparently leading to some shady choices by these dealers. According to JL there is NO WARRANTY on anything bought over the websites such as Audiogon. MSS HiFi seems to be leading this parade and mysteriously has "dozens" of JL's and they claim to not be a JL dealer but can get you warranty. Strange. Maybe someone from JL can chime in and explain how this is possible. Where would this unauthorized dealer get dozens of Fathoms??? I suspect there will be silence from the factory though. Its too bad because the Fathom is an incredible product.......grey market siutations like this taint an otherwise stellar piece of equipment.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM

You must be someone who likes to pay full retail for everything, or have tons of bucks and don't care.

Shady? Since how is selling products shady? If you hold inventory, it is your choice what price to charge to sell it. It is interesting what is truly being exposed in this recession. I know for a fact that these guys are still making margin on the products (including the JLs) so lets get serious. Full retail is 3600 and audiogon price (new) is roughly 2300. So what do you really get for $1300 of service from a retailer? This is what a retailer needs to understand.

I made an offer to a retailer who refused to deal. I understand they don't want to give up margin, but in reality the best they did for me was let me listen to a 113 for 10 minutes, and would not even let me listen to the 112 (b/c that was set up in a audio only system). To much trouble I guess.

Yea, and the retailer made a big point that I could not use them for any service on the JL. WHAT SERVICE. If I have a problem, it gets shipped back to JL!

So what is the end game? Does the retailer disappear? I sure have fun going to see all the new (toys) every now and again. But I never really get "service" or do they set me up to listen to everything I would like to. So I would rather deal with someone who is not "ripping me off" and charging me full retail (1300 of extra margin when it comes to the JL) and be able to sell/upgrade me products as I go. They way I see it, I learn so much from reading other peoples opinions that I get a good idea how products sound, and in the end, you NEVER truly know how a product will sound till you get it home and hook it up with everything else.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post

MSS HiFi seems to be leading this parade and mysteriously has "dozens" of JL's and they claim to not be a JL dealer but can get you warranty.

With grey market products, the "warranty" is almost always either through the selling dealer or through a third-party warranty service company like Assurant, not through JL Audio themselves.

The bottom line is that if your sub isn't purchased through an authorized dealer, you won't be sending it back to JL Audio for service.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 301
post #8 of 12 Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrene View Post

You must be someone who likes to pay full retail for everything, or have tons of bucks and don't care.

Shady? Since how is selling products shady? If you hold inventory, it is your choice what price to charge to sell it. It is interesting what is truly being exposed in this recession. I know for a fact that these guys are still making margin on the products (including the JLs) so lets get serious. Full retail is 3600 and audiogon price (new) is roughly 2300. So what do you really get for $1300 of service from a retailer? This is what a retailer needs to understand.

I made an offer to a retailer who refused to deal. I understand they don't want to give up margin, but in reality the best they did for me was let me listen to a 113 for 10 minutes, and would not even let me listen to the 112 (b/c that was set up in a audio only system). To much trouble I guess.

Yea, and the retailer made a big point that I could not use them for any service on the JL. WHAT SERVICE. If I have a problem, it gets shipped back to JL!

So what is the end game? Does the retailer disappear? I sure have fun going to see all the new (toys) every now and again. But I never really get "service" or do they set me up to listen to everything I would like to. So I would rather deal with someone who is not "ripping me off" and charging me full retail (1300 of extra margin when it comes to the JL) and be able to sell/upgrade me products as I go. They way I see it, I learn so much from reading other peoples opinions that I get a good idea how products sound, and in the end, you NEVER truly know how a product will sound till you get it home and hook it up with everything else.

There are plenty of authorized dealers who will negotiate price on JL subs (mine certainly did) and while you might not get to the grey market price, it's worth it to me to have an actual warrantee.

If someone wants to take a huge risk by buying w/o any warrantee over a couple $ on a 2,5k sub, so be it. Just don't come back to AVS to complain when the factory refuses service, because JL will refuse to service the unit if not bought from an authorized retailer.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

http://www.independentaudiovideo.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1010486

Are these guys for real?

Don't know, but do you really want to buy a refurbished F113 with no warrantee at that price?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 AM

I surprised that no one suggested that the glut may be caused by the fact that jl is coming out with some new smaller versions in late 2012
post #11 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looking forward to new line. Design goal is 80% of the performance of the F112 at half the cost!

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #12 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Have two already so no thanks biggrin.gif