Need a sub for my apartment...critique my setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of moving to an apartment and have been buying new HT stuff. Since this is an apartment, I didn't want to go too crazy. Everything sounds good together, it is just noticably lacking in bass. I'm looking to spend $300-400 on a sub and here is what I have so far:

46" Sharp Aquos LC46D85U 1080p
Sony S350 Blu-Ray

Yamaha RX-665 630 watt 7.1 Receiver (planning on running 5.1)
Klipsch Synergy F1s
Klipsch Synergy C1
Klipsch Synergy S1s

The apartment I'm moving into is on the top floor, corner unit and has 15' vaulted ceilings on the other end of the room. The room itself is about 14x16. I've attached a pic to show you where I'm looking to put the sub:

And the other end of the room with the vaulted ceilings

I was looking at the Klipsch SUB10 or Polk PSW110.

Which sub would be best for good bass, while disturbing the neighbors? Does the placement of the sub look good, or would you recommend moving it? I'm also thinking of picking up a subdude, just for extra measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman90 View Post

I'm in the process of moving to an apartment and have been buying new HT stuff. Since this is an apartment, I didn't want to go too crazy. Everything sounds good together, it is just noticably lacking in bass. I'm looking to spend $300-400 on a sub and here is what I have so far:

46" Sharp Aquos LC46D85U 1080p
Sony S350 Blu-Ray

Yamaha RX-665 630 watt 7.1 Receiver (planning on running 5.1)
Klipsch Synergy F1s
Klipsch Synergy C1
Klipsch Synergy S1s

The apartment I'm moving into is on the top floor, corner unit and has 15' vaulted ceilings on the other end of the room. The room itself is about 14x16. I've attached a pic to show you where I'm looking to put the sub:

I was looking at the Klipsch SUB10 or Polk PSW110.

Which sub would be best for good bass, while disturbing the neighbors? Does the placement of the sub look good, or would you recommend moving it? I'm also thinking of picking up a subdude, just for extra measure.

I think it will work out fine but can only imagine neighbor complaints no matter which sub you buy. For an apartment either the SUB10 or PSW110 will suffice, been hearing about issues with the SUB10 though, might want to check into it's reliability.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #3 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Check out the Elemental Designs A2-300 and HSU STF-2. Both are within your budget and will outperform the 2 listed in all areas. As said above neighbors are going to be an issue no matter which sub you buy. The best options you have there is to place the sub as close to the listening position as possible and use common since with the volume control.
post #4 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM

There's no question for $300-400 you want the eD A2-300: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

I'd jump on it, because the price is going up to $400 on the 15th; but it's a killer deal either way.

I wouldn't worry about buying too much sub for your apartment. There's no such thing.

I've lived in an apartment with an eD sub (10" though) for nearly 2 years and only wished I went bigger, though even the eD babies hold their own.

You can turn any sub down, but you can't get more output than you purchased.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 PM

Yea, Def look into getting an ED sub.. As others have stated, there is no such thing as too much sub.. Get the biggest sub you can afford and enjoy.. Invite the neighbors up to watch a movie with you as well, it will go a long way...

PSN Forensics80
post #6 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. So can I use a normal subwoofer cable with the ED sub (it's hard to see the pic)? Any other recommendations?

And I'll be sure to mention everything to the neighbors when we meet. Hopefully I can get started out on the right foot.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. So can I use a normal subwoofer cable with the ED sub (it's hard to see the pic)? Any other recommendations?

And I'll be sure to mention everything to the neighbors when we meet. Hopefully I can get started out on the right foot.

There are several choices that are better alternatives than the SUB10 or Polk PSW110 in the original post. IMO the A2-300 or STF-2 are the ones to consider to be the among if not the best choices within your budget.

You'll use the same type cable no matter which sub you choose. Any quality RCA type audio cable will work, such as the link below. Just be sure to get the length you need. They don't stretch, I've tried.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #8 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM

You're in the exact same situation as me..I'm in a third floor apt, and just bought the A2-300 last night for the reasons mentioned here ($350 shipped, no tax). Regarding the placement, I always heard that the sub should go in the corner or close to it, but I was doing some research last night online at dolby labs, and they said NOT to put it in a corner...as that can lead to it sounding boomy.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown_badger View Post

You're in the exact same situation as me..I'm in a third floor apt, and just bought the A2-300 last night for the reasons mentioned here ($350 shipped, no tax). Regarding the placement, I always heard that the sub should go in the corner or close to it, but I was doing some research last night online at dolby labs, and they said NOT to put it in a corner...as that can lead to it sounding boomy.

Corner placement is usually recommended for output and boosting the low end and usually isn't the best placement for an even room response across the full band which can cause it to sound boomy. It works for some and not for others, every situation, room and preference is different. In my room I've found the most even response to be up front between the mains but again that could change, every situation is different and that's only a general guide.

For an apartment I would shoot for nearfield placement as close as possible to the listening position, even using the sub as and end table if possible. This will allow the sub to be calibrated at a lower level to the mains and the room itself won't have as much effect on the overall frequency response with nearfield placement.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Corner placement is usually recommended for output and boosting the low end and usually isn't the best placement for an even room response across the full band which can cause it to sound boomy. It works for some and not for others, every situation, room and preference is different. In my room I've found the most even response to be up front between the mains but again that could change, every situation is different and that's only a general guide.

For an apartment I would shoot for nearfield placement as close as possible to the listening position, even using the sub as and end table if possible. This will allow the sub to be calibrated at a lower level to the mains and the room itself won't have as much effect on the overall frequency response with nearfield placement.

Great post...thanks for the tips!
post #11 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM

you can rent a house for near apartment costs (at least in my area)
post #12 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

have u thought about using budget subs,,, with your price range you easily buy a pair of them..... and the more subs u have the smoother ur bass response will be,,, gets rid of standing waves

Premier Acoustic PA-120 230bux each
BIC H100 ???
BIC PL200 ???
Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 198bux each
post #13 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaejw1 View Post

have u thought about using budget subs,,, with your price range you easily buy a pair of them..... and the more subs u have the smoother ur bass response will be,,, gets rid of standing waves

Premier Acoustic PA-120 230bux each
BIC H100 ???
BIC PL200 ???
Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 198bux each

I saw a couple other posts that said get one good sub rather than two entry level subs. Different strokes? In an apt, I struggle to give up the floor space for one sub!
post #14 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

I wouldn't worry about buying too much sub for your apartment. There's no such thing.

Yes, keep repeating this right up to the time you get your eviction notice.

Hearing is believing vs Believing is hearing.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD50U View Post

Yes, keep repeating this right up to the time you get your eviction notice.

Good job with those reading skills.

Quote:

You can turn any sub down, but you can't get more output than you purchased.

post #16 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

i suffer from a vaulted ceiling awell.. http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...?member=jaejw1 i plan on buying another sub soon.. was told by many that i will need dual subs to overcome the room volume

the more you have the better the response.. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...68&postcount=2

here are links to reviews of the subs i mentioned... note they are not the end all be all.. but in their price range the are very hard to beat..

PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA120 http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=82738

ACOUSTIC AUDIO HD-SUB12 http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=85212

and the BIC's can be found almost anywhere..
post #17 of 22 Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Good job with those reading skills.

Yes, I read your blinding insight. It makes perfect sense to buy a prodigous sub for which you can only use a fraction of it's capability in an apartment.

Hearing is believing vs Believing is hearing.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD50U View Post

Yes, I read your blinding insight. It makes perfect sense to buy a prodigous sub for which you can only use a fraction of it's capability in an apartment.

Ok ladies simmer down.

I think he is ASSUMING the OP won't live in an apt forever....

I know I didnt.

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-14-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurio View Post

you can rent a house for near apartment costs (at least in my area)

Well I'm moving to Ft Lauderdale for med school and the homes that I can afford in S. Florida are not as nice as this apartment lol. The unit we're getting was built in 2006 and has new appliances, etc... So I'm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaejw1 View Post

i suffer from a vaulted ceiling awell.. http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...?member=jaejw1 i plan on buying another sub soon.. was told by many that i will need dual subs to overcome the room volume

the more you have the better the response.. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...68&postcount=2

here are links to reviews of the subs i mentioned... note they are not the end all be all.. but in their price range the are very hard to beat..

PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA120 http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=82738

ACOUSTIC AUDIO HD-SUB12 http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=85212

and the BIC's can be found almost anywhere..

The AA SUB12 looks nice, especially for $200. So would the A2-300 or the SUB12 be a better choice?
post #20 of 22 Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I'm moving to Ft Lauderdale for med school and the homes that I can afford in S. Florida are not as nice as this apartment lol. The unit we're getting was built in 2006 and has new appliances, etc... So I'm

The AA SUB12 looks nice, especially for $200. So would the A2-300 or the SUB12 be a better choice?

me personally,,, I would say get what you can afford for now... and when ur ready to make the sacrifice for something more expensive in the future,,, it will be easier.... cause u will have something to go by..... just me .02
btw I will be ordering my second PA-120 this weekend...
post #21 of 22 Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM

If your budget is $300-400, there's no reason to buy a $200 sub just because you think you have a small room, or an apartment can't have nice bass. That's all I'm saying.

I say this from experience, and most would agree, you will always want more sub.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-15-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:

If your budget is $300-400, there's no reason to buy a $200 sub just because you think you have a small room, or an apartment can't have nice bass. That's all I'm saying.

I say this from experience, and most would agree, you will always want more sub.

Unless he's one of those people that turns over equipment weekly But yes, I completely agree, there's no reason whatsoever to buy less than what you want, as you said, you can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so far.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page