AVS Forum banner

Is It Safe To Buy Dual MFWs?

68K views 1K replies 135 participants last post by  KlipschHead281 
#1 ·
I've been a supporter of AV123 for awhile, and the recent issues concerning the company and MLS have really been tough to deal with. I've always found the man and his company to be fair and generous, but I need convincing now. I'm running an Outlaw LFM-1EX, and have been very happy with it. Lately the upgrade bug has bitten, and I've been thinking about getting more subwoofage. The latest sale on MFWs is very tempting, but with all the problems they have had I need to be sure I won't be buying into trouble. I've never had an issue with any sub I purchased, and the thought of problems developing with dual MFWs has me worried. The sale will be over before the new subs ship, so I have no user data to go by. The competition is dual A5-350s from eD, or maybe dual A7s-450s. Wish I could go dual HSU ULS-15s, but that's getting too expensive. Bottom line, is it safe to order MFWs? Is the amp issue really fixed? How about the hum issues? Anything else to worry about, or are these as good a deal as they seem? MLS, are you out there? If you can personally ensure that these subs are all they should be then I will place an order, come on man! You need to get vocal again, it's been too long! Convince me (and everyone else) that the MFWs are the best deal going, and you're sure to sell a boat load.

#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia1 /forum/post/16633485

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/305rocket/ [URL='http:/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif%5B/IMG']http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG[/URL] ]

This has a really good loud speaker.
[/QUOTE]

Not really...Read the last page.
[QUOTE]Quote:
The flaws we see in the measured response produced by the Rocket speakers may be more a result of quality-control variations than design, since many of the problems areas were clustered around the crossover frequencies. Based on this, it's possible that the samples auditioned by JJG (in the case of the RS750, an earlier version, though the rest of the speakers have apparently been unchanged) did not exhibit the anomalies we see here. To insure that the problem was not restricted to a single sample of the RS750, however, we also measured the other speaker of the left-right pair with essentially similar results, though without the peak at 2.5kHz.TJN
[/QUOTE]

There was controversy over this at AV123 with MLS claiming they sent the wrong speaker to them as AV123 is supposed to have speakers sequestered just for that purpose. Sequestered to me means they were specially checked and modified if need be in order to not measure so poorly.

[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by [B]alages[/B] [URL='/forum/post/16633511'][/URL]

Wow!! That March 2005 article was really helpful. Should the OP buy MFW subs based on this link?
[/QUOTE]

Based upon that link, we see further examples of bad quality control in the parts for the crossovers.

#131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine416 /forum/post/16630979

Why would you be so quick to gloss over the one relevant thing you have offered?

The topic has been beaten to literal death, and we agree they need to have sales. What we don't agree with and from my perspective this is just fine, is that I feel safe buying from them as they have delivered everything they sold me. Does this mean I buy blind, no, I discuss my purchase with them, get the serial number for the product and make sure it isn't charged prior to shipping and I always use a credit card that has a very good reputation for making people who don't ship not keep the money they charged the card.

I am not telling anybody else to buy from them or not to, just stating how it has been for me.

You continue to beat the do not buy drum and I'll continue stating how each purchase I make goes. If one goes bad, I'll post that too, then you and Stereodude and others can say I told you so and be giddy.

#132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/16633577

There was controversy over this at AV123 with MLS claiming they sent the wrong speaker to them as AV123 is supposed to have speakers sequestered just for that purpose. Sequestered to me means they were specially checked and modified if need be in order to not measure so poorly.

I think you're trying a little too hard here. UltimateAV readily admits the pair they measured was not the pair that JJG listened to, so in order to subscribe to your vast conspiracy theory that they all are like the pair that was measured we would have to assume that JJG either likes speakers that measure like that, or his hearing sucks.

Further you've brought this up before and people have posted measurements of other RS750s, including measurements not done by AV123 or of "specially checked and modified" RS750s, but of RS750s shipped to customers that look nothing like the pair UltimateAV measured. Your argument has been utterly and completely debunked previously, however you continue to bring up this point apparently only accepting the UltimateAV measurements as valid.

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/16634348

I think you're trying a little too hard here. UltimateAV readily admits the pair they measured was not the pair that JJG listened to, so in order to subscribe to your vast conspiracy theory that they all are like the pair that was measured we would have to assume that JJG either likes speakers that measure like that, or his hearing sucks.

I never said it was the pair JJG listened to. It was a pair that was sent that wasn't part of the 'reviewer set' that is meant to go out.

Quote:
Further you've brought this up before and people have posted measurements of other RS750s, including measurements not done by AV123 or of "specially checked and modified" RS750s, but of RS750s shipped to customers that look nothing like the pair UltimateAV measured. Your argument has been utterly and completely debunked previously, however you continue to bring up this point apparently only accepting the UltimateAV measurements as valid.

You might be right. It might've been an absolute fluke. Something that's completely not representative of AV123's attention to detail. As to utterly and completely debunked, I'd say we'd need a bit more samples to determine that. I respect your position though StereoDude although I'm not so sure how firm the ground is. Also best of luck in getting your situation resolved quickly.

#135 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/16634649

I am having a hard time justifying buying a second MFW-15 as my single MFW really does supply enough bass in my ~2500 sq. ft. HT.

(Oh, BTW my MFW-15 will be a year old in less than 4 months and has worked flawlessly since day 1. Even when a year comes I still have 2 years of warrant left.

I sure hope you mean cubic ft and not sq ft...

#136 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/16633902

The topic has been beaten to literal death, and we agree they need to have sales. What we don't agree with and from my perspective this is just fine, is that I feel safe buying from them as they have delivered everything they sold me. Does this mean I buy blind, no, I discuss my purchase with them, get the serial number for the product and make sure it isn't charged prior to shipping and I always use a credit card that has a very good reputation for making people who don't ship not keep the money they charged the card.

I am not telling anybody else to buy from them or not to, just stating how it has been for me.

You continue to beat the do not buy drum and I'll continue stating how each purchase I make goes. If one goes bad, I'll post that too, then you and Stereodude and others can say I told you so and be giddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/16634348

You two make pretty much the same argument. Let's give you an example. You're walking down the street with your kids, meet some guy, talk with him, he's very nice, very friendly, and later, you read in the newspaper that he's been accused of child molestion. Many parents have had their child abused by this man, but you step in, with your positive experience and claim that because you had a good experience with him, he is in fact a very nice man who would never hurt a fly. Never mind that many others have had a very different experience with him, it seems that because your kids or the kids of a few others did not get molested, it is now fact that this man is not a child molester, and he's actually a very nice man that you should welcome in your house and let care for your children. And you are actually very proud to support him and say that he did not abuse your children, and that your experience and the experience of your children with this man anything but very positive. Rave more about this man, show everyone how nice he is!

Really, the logic and reasoning of some people really puzzle me.

Your sub amp hasn't blown yet? Good for you! Doesn't mean that it won't at a later time, that it doesn't suffer from a lack or inferior quality control, that it uses subpar parts, etc... A few people measured their speaker and it didn't look like another one who did? It's fact that they're all working great and that one measurement which showed problems was the one and only exception to the rule.

The worst, most ridiculous suggestion. Talk to the man... What do you think that'll accomplish? The guy has supposedly stolen charity money, he owns tens of thousands (if not hundred(s)?) of dollars, he's knowingly sold defective products, he's lied and lied in the past. Wtf do you think you'll accomplish by talking to him?

If you want to get conned, sure, go ahead, call the guy, give him the chance win you over. Every potential scammer deserves a chance! Problem with many crooks and conman is that they can be charismatic. They don't act like *******s, they'll act very nice while scamming you; very charismatic.

Anyhow, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that there's a lot of shady things going on with this man and his companies. I won't call him a crook, because I don't have all the info/proofs, but I wouldn't lend this man 20$, a lot of things really don't smell right.

#137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf /forum/post/16634923

Anyhow, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that there's a lot of shady things going on with this man and his companies. I won't call him a crook, because I don't have all the info/proofs, but I wouldn't lend this man 20$, a lot of things really don't smell right.

I agree 100%...the reason I stayed away in Dec when looking for a dual sub setup...I wasn't going to take a chance on MLS coming through. I still do not trust him or his company...like you said, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that there's a lot of shady things going on with this man and his companies.

#138 ·
Congratz Grandarf. You have come up with the worst analogy in online forum history. You can't be serious. Does they guy owe you any money? Just curious because I don't get the outright hate if you have nothing personally invested in this.

#139 ·

Quote:

..anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that there's a lot of shady things going on with this man and his companies.

Excellent point(s).

Congrats to those that had good experiences and didn't have their audio equipment molested by MLS.
To those people considering doing business with him..........BEWARE!

#140 ·
Forget the QA issues and the parts issues, the shutting down of the forums, the health of the CEO, the economy, the empty promises, etc...

What disturbs me the most is the fact that the CEO was selling A/B stock items on the av123 forums via a paypal account and has still not delivered items that some people purchased dating back to September 2008! All the excuses and apologies, and promises in the world cannot sugar coat the fact that this is outright stealing. And if he refuses to refund the money or deliver the goods he should honestly go to jail.

There are multiple reports of this happening to people on multiple forums. Are these people lying? I doubt it. Otherwise MLS would be going after the forums and having people banned and posts removed due to slander. So I don't understand how people can sit here and defend the man and this behavior.

#141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alages /forum/post/16635211

Excellent point(s).

Congrats to those that had good experiences and didn't have their audio equipment molested by MLS.
To those people considering doing business with him..........BEWARE!

I think those considering doing business with AV123 should be AWARE of the issues. But give me a break. Buying a sub or two from the company is not like giving up your first born. It is only a few hundred dollars for a purchase with some risk. You should beware if you buy anything directly from MLS instead of through AV123. Or if you give money in advance for anything not in production (or even if it isn't in stock). I would never do either of those and find it hard to feel sorry for someone that does.

But you can't tell me that ordering a MFW-15 for a great price that will only be charged on my cc after it ships is a life changing risk. It seems most of you try to make it sound like the majority of people buying from AV123 have gotten crap in return. I'm just not buying that BS. If I worried about product defects I'd never buy any electronics.

#142 ·

Quote:

You two make pretty much the same argument. Let's give you an example. You're walking down the street with your kids, meet some guy, talk with him, he's very nice, very friendly, and later, you read in the newspaper that he's been accused of child molestion. Many parents have had their child abused by this man, but you step in, with your positive experience and claim that because you had a good experience with him, he is in fact a very nice man who would never hurt a fly. Never mind that many others have had a very different experience with him, it seems that because your kids or the kids of a few others did not get molested, it is now fact that this man is not a child molester, and he's actually a very nice man that you should welcome in your house and let care for your children. And you are actually very proud to support him and say that he did not abuse your children, and that your experience and the experience of your children with this man anything but very positive. Rave more about this man, show everyone how nice he is!

Really, the logic and reasoning of some people really puzzle me.

Your sub amp hasn't blown yet? Good for you! Doesn't mean that it won't at a later time, that it doesn't suffer from a lack or inferior quality control, that it uses subpar parts, etc... A few people measured their speaker and it didn't look like another one who did? It's fact that they're all working great and that one measurement which showed problems was the one and only exception to the rule.

The worst, most ridiculous suggestion. Talk to the man... What do you think that'll accomplish? The guy has supposedly stolen charity money, he owns tens of thousands (if not hundred(s)?) of dollars, he's knowingly sold defective products, he's lied and lied in the past. Wtf do you think you'll accomplish by talking to him?

If you want to get conned, sure, go ahead, call the guy, give him the chance win you over. Every potential scammer deserves a chance! Problem with many crooks and conman is that they can be charismatic. They don't act like *******s, they'll act very nice while scamming you; very charismatic.

Jesus Christ, first, I'm not a moron, stop trying to infer that I am. I do research before buying anything, do I call to get coddled into buying no. I call to insure what I'm interested in is there and ready to ship, have they lied to me, no, obviously what I sought to buy was in stock and they shipped it on time and working. Yet, I'm not to take their word, the very people who have backed what they told me, I'm supposed to take YOUR word, I don't know you or any of the other claim makers from Adam.

Your child molestation analogy is crap and I have never said word one about how nice the guy is, in fact I could care less if he is nice or the biggest ahole on the planet, I care about his product and if it serves my purpose. You're right about one thing however, WE DO NOT HAVE PROOF on anything except the following, the MFW has amplifier issues and past subs have had amplifier issues and I took that into account when I made my purchase. Everything else is conjecture because I have yet to see proof that MLS stole raffle money, I have yet to see any proof from anybody about their negative experience’s period (except for amplifier issues).

Here is what I have seen, people jumping on board to slam a company at a level I have never seen before and I too should jump on board because so many others have based on what, news articles stating that MLS stole money or purposely misled people? No, based on a few people who make claims that I have yet to see backed up. Show me some proof about the raffle money or stop posting about it, how about we turn the tables and start saying you stole money and then offer nothing to back it up, I bet you’d love that.

Show me one recognized agency that shows AV123 has done the many things or any of the things that is claimed here on this forum (again, outside the realm of amplifiers)..

I posted my opinion, you don't like it great, don't buy from AV123, point made. Let’s try and use analogies that don’t include the molestation of children as they can take on a life of their own, try sticking to facts and analogies that make some kind of sense.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/16635262

Forget the QA issues and the parts issues, the shutting down of the forums, the health of the CEO, the economy, the empty promises, etc...

What disturbs me the most is the fact that the CEO was selling A/B stock items on the av123 forums via a paypal account and has still not delivered items that some people purchased dating back to September 2008! All the excuses and apologies, and promises in the world cannot sugar coat the fact that this is outright stealing. And if he refuses to refund the money or deliver the goods he should honestly go to jail.

There are multiple reports of this happening to people on multiple forums. Are these people lying? I doubt it. Otherwise MLS would be going after the forums and having people banned and posts removed due to slander. So I don't understand how people can sit here and defend the man and this behavior.

What does any of this have to do with the current risks of buying MFW-15 subs FROM AV123? You guys really need to start a I hate MLS because of crap I've read on the internet thread.

#145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat /forum/post/16635469

What does any of this have to do with the current risks of buying MFW-15 subs FROM AV123? You guys really need to start a I hate MLS because of crap I've read on the internet thread.

Some people are just plain better at keeping it simple. Well said.

#149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat /forum/post/16635469

You don't see the correlation?

Let me spell it out for you then. MLS runs av123. He is the founder and CEO and appears to be involved in every level of the company from designing speakers, to managing cash flow, to managing business partnerships, to answering routine sales questions, to maintaining their online forums.

Open your eyes. Who is the one providing updates to the MFW-15 new/replacement amp status at av123? MLS. Who is the one who provided the back story as to what happened with the MFW-15 amp issues (which many of you guys seem to buy hook line and sinker)? MLS. Who is the one pulling all the strings at av123? MLS.

MLS seems to be behind every decision being made at av123 and appears to be the mouthpiece for the entire company.

So based on him scamming and stringing people along for over 9 months (9 months!) on products they bought directly from him (at his word) why would you believe anything he says about the MFW-15 at this point in time? Why would you trust him? How can you recommend to a friend and family member or a random person on the Internet that they should buy a product from MLS and his company? We are not talking about some massive company here. MLS is the company. I suspect if he goes, so goes the company. It is not like MFW-15's are being sold at retailers and audio specialty stores. They are internet direct. Which means you have nowhere else to go if your sub stops working. You are at the complete mercy of av123/MLS.

I just do not get some of you guys. I currently own speakers from three reputable companies. RBH, SVS, and Elemental Designs. If anyone of these companies had the founder and CEO scamming people directly off their own forums (in what looked like a A/B stock item being sold directly from the company in most cases) I would tell people to stay away. And we are not even taking into account the issue of the amp failures (which appear to be at a very unacceptable rate) that have still not been addressed.

If Elemental Designs or SVS (and I am a fan of their subwoofers) had a major amp flaw that resulted in a high number of failures, I would not chastise them. I would wait to see how quickly they handled the issue and treated their customers. If those same amp failures happened back 6+ months ago and there still was not resolution? I would tell people to stay clear and go somewhere else. Why is that so hard to understand?

#150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/16635378

WE DO NOT HAVE PROOF on anything except the following, the MFW has amplifier issues and past subs have had amplifier issues

You have proof? Where? Maybe his subs have been fine all along and there is just a conspiracy to discredit the poor honest man.

Did MLS close his own forums? Why? Is there proof?

Are you suggesting that the people who have posted that they have not received products that were ordered (and paid for) in September 2008 are lying? Why?

Where there is this much smoke there is fire. Beware of AV123 and it's owner.

#152 ·
Smoke fire BEWARE!!!!!!!! oooooooh

I'm a little frightened by all this smoke fire talk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.