post #91 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

I think I will take that advisement with a grain of salt.

If you ever demo a SVS PB13Ultra and hear what a properly built 150 lb box with "only" a 13.5 driver will do, it may bring back your faith in manufactured subs.

My thoughts exactly........people making blanket statements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Mcjasonb,
To me, Terminator was mastered hotter than RotF. I don't think it was more dynamic, just louder considering the dialog in Terminator was louder than normal.

How can anyone tell how hot a master is, from a cinema showing?

You have no idea if the system is set up correctly.....and I would think even close to being correct is a longshot.

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #93 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

It's funny how two different people can't have such different experiences....

My theater couldn't even show the entire movie before their projector bit the dust, so I've seen about the first 20 minutes of the moive.

Another reason I never go to the theater here, besides the fact they don't even have subs.
post #94 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Ok, I agree with most who say why not to go. I have always argued with people when the threads start that ask how your HT compares to the theater. People will say how their setup will blow away the theater. I say for a true test put some theater speakers and subs in your room and now see how that sounds, it will blow you away. I know this because I have done it. A properly calibrated and working theater should rock your world(20 Hz and up). I just watched this again in the THX theater and they played under reference levels so I was not happy. Next time I go I will tell them to turn it up. The speakers used in my local theater are the JBL pro 4732's and no home speaker could match it in dynamics and impact, but they have to be working and calibrated properly.
post #95 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 10:58 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I say for a true test put some theater speakers and subs in your room and now see how that sounds, it will blow you away.

i think the point is that theater speakers don't blow me away "at the theater" where they should blow me away

i'm sure they sound great at home, just not in a giant auditorium

i never go to the theater anymore. i used to go just to see star trek on the big screen but after seeing what they've done to the franchise with this latest movie, looks like i have no reason to ever buy another over-priced diet coke

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #96 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They could blow you away at the theater if done right, but not sub 20 Hz performance.
post #97 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They could blow you away at the theater if done right, but not sub 20 Hz performance.

i guess i haven't been in the right theater yet

they don't impress me at any frequency

sometimes the surround speakers aren't even working

if you complain to the manager, they give you a ticket for a free movie but what good is it

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #98 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

How can anyone tell how hot a master is, from a cinema showing?

You have no idea if the system is set up correctly.....and I would think even close to being correct is a longshot.

Well, I'm actually friendly with the projection manager at my local Cineplex. He told me Star Trek was mastered about 3-4db hot before we screened it with the other projectionists. After watching it, we both agreed that the speakers needed to be reduced by a couple of db due to them sounding strained. After screening Terminator, we had the same problem, but not during Transformers 2. These are my experiences, but yours may differ.

David Budo
post #99 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I made sure my system can handle any movie, bring it on.

yeah i think our 19ov.2s will get a nice workout with this movie
post #100 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

i guess i haven't been in the right theater yet

they don't impress me at any frequency

sometimes the surround speakers aren't even working

if you complain to the manager, they give you a ticket for a free movie but what good is it

I consider a good theater that puts equipment in a room with overkill in mind so nothing strains at reference levels, especially if it is a THX theater. Of course that does not always happen. My local theater uses speakers that are meant for theaters twice the size they are in so they don't strain, they need to be reminded to turn it up at times though. I agree with you and free movie tickets won't change the experience. I have a friend who has a friend you works at my local cineplex and we are working on him for a behind the screen look and a true at reference showing of Transformers 2. The JBL screen arrays are very capable speakers, my 8 subs will fail before my entry level screen arrays will. My room is a joke for them and that is why they sound good.
post #101 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradius View Post

yeah i think our 19ov.2s will get a nice workout with this movie

I just watched The Incredible Hulk and WOTW at reference and it was great. The IH had much more dynamics but WOTW bass is great(spl). Bluray vs DVD. WOTW on bluray should kill some subs. The articulation of bass on bluray and dynamics is just much better. I used to think WOTW was recorded hot but after watching TIH on bluray I had to turn it up. Transformers 2 has potential and hopefully comes thru.
post #102 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Some bass moments to watch for on blu ray:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The fight in China has a few good moments.

When Optimus rescues Sam from Megatron in the warehouse. The IMAX subwoofer rolled off really early and I'm pretty sure it's goes really deep.

When Megatron kills Optimus in the forest, there is some bass that seems to go pretty low.

When all the Decepticons land from space in the desert and the aircraft carrier has some punchy bass that I like. Very similar to the autobots landing in the first movie.

The big explosion in the desert when the fighter jet drops about 10+ bombs on everyone.

When The Fallen is on top of the pyramid and telekenitcally/magnetically raises all the army vehicles and then drops them.

I'm sure there are others, but those ones definitely stand out.

David Budo
post #103 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Well, I'm actually friendly with the projection manager at my local Cineplex. He told me Star Trek was mastered about 3-4db hot before we screened it with the other projectionists. After watching it, we both agreed that the speakers needed to be reduced by a couple of db due to them sounding strained. After screening Terminator, we had the same problem, but not during Transformers 2. These are my experiences, but yours may differ.

Cool.

I myself do not hang with projectionists....rofl.......glad to hear they take it serious at your local flicker show....

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #104 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I just saw the movie with my son and the bass kinda sucked I can't wait for this to come out on Blu-ray. I am sure it will be demo material on my Epik Phoenix!!
BTW, Megan Fox is SMOKIN in this one!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #105 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I just saw the movie with my son and the bass kinda sucked I can't wait for this to come out on Blu-ray. I am sure it will be demo material on my Epik Phoenix!!
BTW, Megan Fox is SMOKIN in this one!

yea she is! i'd do her.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #106 of 178 Old 07-01-2009, 03:26 PM

+++1. Super hot!!
post #107 of 178 Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good news. Wednesday night my friend and I get to have a private screening of Transformers 2. After the last showing of the night. We get to look behind the screen, projector room, and hopefully make sure it is calibrated. We also get to crank it up to reference levels or higher. Now we will see how this movie sounds.
post #108 of 178 Old 07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good news. Wednesday night my friend and I get to have a private screening of Transformers 2. After the last showing of the night. We get to look behind the screen, projector room, and hopefully make sure it is calibrated. We also get to crank it up to reference levels or higher. Now we will see how this movie sounds.

awesome

since you went sealed a while back, how low is your system EQ'd to ?

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #109 of 178 Old 07-03-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WOW... That is awesome. I'm so jealous. I've always wanted to get behind the scenes access to experience what these state of the art cinemas are REALLY capable of. Have fun...
post #110 of 178 Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It will be fun.

Otk, I am not using any EQ and thanks to room gain REW shows me I am flat to 5 Hz. The main differences between the sealed and ported in my room are dynamics(twice the drivers and power) and pressurization. They go together for me. My room can become instantly pressurized from low frequencies. The hair on your head, arms, and legs get tingly and everything starts to shake. It can disappear in seconds. Very quick reacting. It does this much better than the ported subs did.
post #111 of 178 Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Great movie... Needless to say, Transformers is not about elaborate storylines and deep characters. Popcorn fun to the max though!

Anyway, I went to see this at my local IMAX this morning and I was looking to be blown away by the bass(literally), well that certainly didn't happen. However, I don't fault the movie in any way at all. I think my local cinema crippled the bass channel by excessively lowering the volume. I couldn't feel any bass at all, and I know this IMAX is capable, because last summer, The Dark Night in there was the best movie sound experience I've ever encountered, can you say BASS BASS BASS. I don't know if maybe they got too many complaints about it being too loud, or maybe they thought this movie was too intense for their sound system. Now I feel the need to view this film again at my usual THX cinema and see what I missed. The IMAX filmed scene was a treat at any rate, and maybe worth the extra premium I paid.

I am REALLY looking forward to this on BR...

Thats too bad! I saw this at my local IMAX and thought the sound was excellent, right up there with the Dark Knight.

But like so many others I can't wait to get this movie home.

_______
~ Joe
post #112 of 178 Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen sound designed on Meyer Sound HD-1s.
www.meyersound.com

David Budo
post #113 of 178 Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I consider a good theater that puts equipment in a room with overkill in mind so nothing strains at reference levels, especially if it is a THX theater. Of course that does not always happen. My local theater uses speakers that are meant for theaters twice the size they are in so they don't strain, they need to be reminded to turn it up at times though. I agree with you and free movie tickets won't change the experience. I have a friend who has a friend you works at my local cineplex and we are working on him for a behind the screen look and a true at reference showing of Transformers 2. The JBL screen arrays are very capable speakers, my 8 subs will fail before my entry level screen arrays will. My room is a joke for them and that is why they sound good.

Overkill FTW!

Are you switching over to the TH-221 anytime soon?
post #114 of 178 Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm ready!

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #115 of 178 Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
MKtheater, don't forget to take your spl meter in there and maybe some speaker pictures would be nice too, if this is not too much to ask.
post #116 of 178 Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I will do what I can. Getting ready for tomorrow.
post #117 of 178 Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will do what I can. Getting ready for tomorrow.

Of course, but hey here is frequency chart for that forest fight, taken from awesome youtube clip(not mine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQqe...eature=related

I hope it's just that theatre sound system(or cam mic) and not final, what we get later this year. Good midbass in there though.

Attachment 147324

LL
post #118 of 178 Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like spielberg edited my post, wow that was fast. Lol
post #119 of 178 Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Saw RotF this weekend. Great action but a bit too fast to tell the good guys from the bad. I could tell there was a lot of good LFE, but not in this theater. Hoping for a quick release for home viewing.

Randy
post #120 of 178 Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Saw RotF this weekend. Great action but a bit too fast to tell the good guys from the bad. I could tell there was a lot of good LFE, but not in this theater. Hoping for a quick release for home viewing.

Should be out around Christmas no?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page