Antimode 8033 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone looked into getting the firmware in the older 8033S's upgraded to the same as the 8033S-II? After researching this it looks like all new 8033S's are now shipping with the same capabilities as the 8033S-II thanks to the upgraded firmware. I found one site online that will do the upgrade but they are in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
FWIW, if you look at the bottom of the comparison sheet, you'll see there are several differences in the 8033S II vs the 8033S. I can't say if it's worth the price of a new Anti-Mode unless you have a really fat wallet.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml
post #363 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

FWIW, if you look at the bottom of the comparison sheet, you'll see there are several differences in the 8033S II vs the 8033S. I can't say if it's worth the price of a new Anti-Mode unless you have a really fat wallet.
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

Was that a reply to me? Of course there are obvious differences between the 8033S and the 8033S-II on that table. But it looks like the 8033S is capable of the same performance as the 8033S-II with a firmware upgrade. This is what DSPeaker said in their press release about the 8033S-II: "Change from Anti-Mode 8033S to Anti-Mode 8033S-II is already happening. We are programming the remaining Anti-Mode 8033S units with 8033S-II firmware." And there's this company that offers a firmware upgrade service on the 8033S to get the performance of the 8033S-II for about $50, but they are in Finland.

post #364 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post

Was that a reply to me? Of course there are obvious differences between the 8033S and the 8033S-II on that table. But it looks like the 8033S is capable of the same performance as the 8033S-II with a firmware upgrade. This is what DSPeaker said in their press release about the 8033S-II: "Change from Anti-Mode 8033S to Anti-Mode 8033S-II is already happening. We are programming the remaining Anti-Mode 8033S units with 8033S-II firmware." And there's this company that offers a firmware upgrade service on the 8033S to get the performance of the 8033S-II for about $50, but they are in Finland.

FWIW, my understanding, the Finnish company is the company that makes the Anti-Mode.

The company seems to be a subsidiary of a chip company.
post #365 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

FWIW, my understanding, the Finnish company is the company that makes the Anti-Mode.

DSpeaker Co is located in Finland and makes the Anti Mode and the Dual core 2.0. I have a Dual Core and it is upgradable online for free. I bought the Dual Core during it's early into price.

Dual Submersive HP's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New HT Room -  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #366 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that the company in Finland I linked to that upgrades the firmware on the 8033S is the company that makes the Anti-Mode?

And I think everyone who follows this thread knows that DSPeaker is the manufacturer of the Anti-Mode.

post #367 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that the company in Finland I linked to that upgrades the firmware on the 8033S is the company that makes the Anti-Mode?
And I think everyone who follows this thread knows that DSPeaker is the manufacturer of the Anti-Mode.

They're the only company in Finland that I know of working with DSPeaker products. The post I responded to doesn't have a link. confused.gif
post #368 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:

They're the only company in Finland that I know of working with DSPeaker products. The post I responded to doesn't have a link. confused.gif

My post does have a link, see where it says this company in blue? You can click on that! That company I linked to (in this post and my other post) says they'll upgrade the firmware on an 8033S.

post #369 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:

My post does have a link, see where it says this company in blue? You can click on that! That company I linked to (in this post and my other post) says they'll upgrade the firmware on an 8033S.

Sorry. I was looking at the post before the one with the link in it.

Yes, that company. tongue.gif
post #370 of 557 Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I'd be happy to do a short review but I haven't picked up an OmniMic yet and other than Audyssey, MultEQ XT, which I'll layer on top of the Anti-Mode, I have nothing else to compare it to.
Have you picked up a room analyzing program like OmniMic?

I have REW and a Radio Shack analogue SPL meter. Sufficient for my needs regarding before and after measurements of 8033 effect on subwoofer frequencies, though not nearly as precise as some other options. I used to fuss a lot more over "getting it just right", but these days I settle for "I can hear the improvement in a blind test". Not that I don't appreciate the benefits of further work to "get it just right", but time is too short these days between kids and work. When they're older (AKA "out of the house"), I'll likely return to my fussier ways (assuming my hearing is still good enough for that to matter--it is holding out better than my eyesight, at least).
post #371 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I have REW and a Radio Shack analogue SPL meter. Sufficient for my needs regarding before and after measurements of 8033 effect on subwoofer frequencies, though not nearly as precise as some other options. I used to fuss a lot more over "getting it just right", but these days I settle for "I can hear the improvement in a blind test". Not that I don't appreciate the benefits of further work to "get it just right", but time is too short these days between kids and work. When they're older (AKA "out of the house"), I'll likely return to my fussier ways (assuming my hearing is still good enough for that to matter--it is holding out better than my eyesight, at least).

I'm retired with nothing to do. After a lifetime of work, I want to continue in my pursuit of being totally unproductive. My purpose of getting the microphone is just an exercise of entertainment and nothing more. In my opinion, it will be way cool being able to actually see the acoustic nature of the room our Home Theater is in. I have no plans to relocate the subs and I have no plans to provide for room treatments. Home Theater, in my opinion, is about entertainment and if I start tearing the room apart and putting in room treatments, my wife will start to cry and it will no longer be about entertainment.

No kidding, true story, I showed my wife an AVS provided forum posted picture of someone else's Home Theater room and she started to cry because it was that upsetting to her. For her sake, I'm very careful as I love my wife and want peace at home, even if it means there's no chance of having an acoustically perfect Home Theater environment.

Good luck with family and work as right now, that is what's important. There will be plenty of time to shrug in the future but as a recently retired to the mountains person (I'm 60 and had the luxury of retiring at 58), my advice to all, be sure to remember that it's about life, not work.
post #372 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm retired with nothing to do. After a lifetime of work, I want to continue in my pursuit of being totally unproductive. My purpose of getting the microphone is just an exercise of entertainment and nothing more. In my opinion, it will be way cool being able to actually see the acoustic nature of the room our Home Theater is in. I have no plans to relocate the subs and I have no plans to provide for room treatments. Home Theater, in my opinion, is about entertainment and if I start tearing the room apart and putting in room treatments, my wife will start to cry and it will no longer be about entertainment.
No kidding, true story, I showed my wife an AVS provided forum posted picture of someone else's Home Theater room and she started to cry because it was that upsetting to her. For her sake, I'm very careful as I love my wife and want peace at home, even if it means there's no chance of having an acoustically perfect Home Theater environment.
Good luck with family and work as right now, that is what's important. There will be plenty of time to shrug in the future but as a recently retired to the mountains person (I'm 60 and had the luxury of retiring at 58), my advice to all, be sure to remember that it's about life, not work.

A wise man........what's really important and keeping the peace smile.gif
I too retired about 21 months ago (@ age 53), but have yet to move to the mountains, my dream. Hurricane Isaac delivered me a huge curve/setback.
post #373 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

A wise man........what's really important and keeping the peace smile.gif
I too retired about 21 months ago (@ age 53), but have yet to move to the mountains, my dream. Hurricane Isaac delivered me a huge curve/setback.

In the mountains, it's not hurricanes or earthquakes, it's forest fires that'll get-cha. I can only hope on your part (and everybody elses) for a speedy recovery from Hurricane Issac.

I like to characterize retirement as: "Every night is a Friday night and every morning is a Saturday morning.

Personally, I can't say one would expect to find the Northern California mountains any prettier or more relaxed than the Louisiana coastline. wink.gif

-
post #374 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
So many old pharts.I don't feel so all alone. I used to live near the base of Mt. Shasta. Just a different kinda pretty. Loved it there.
Right in the middle of hunting and fish.

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:

post #375 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

So many old pharts.I don't feel so all alone. I used to live near the base of Mt. Shasta. Just a different kinda pretty. Loved it there.
Right in the middle of hunting and fish.

My pharts are not old. They're daily manufactured fresh. tongue.gif

Last I could see, Seattle ain't to shabby of a location to relocate your subwoofer to. As long as one has broadband internet access and UPS/FedEx and USPS, there are a boatload of "per-ty" places to live.
post #376 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My pharts are not old. They're daily manufactured fresh. tongue.gif
Last I could see, Seattle ain't to shabby of a location to relocate your subwoofer to. As long as one has broadband internet access and UPS/FedEx and USPS, there are a boatload of "per-ty" places to live.

Seattle is only nice 5 months out of the year. Some years only 3 months. If it ain't raining it's overcast. If it ain't overcast it's raining.
If my son didn't live here I'd be done gone and moved. I'm considering ordering the Antimode. I read it really easy to use and takes little time.
Sounds like something right up my alley.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:

post #377 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It is incredibly easy and takes 15 mins., max, from opening the box to listening to tunes/watching movies (for one run-through). If you plan to test different sub locations, multiply the 15 mins. (likely down to 10) by the number of locations you intend to try.
post #378 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Seattle is only nice 5 months out of the year. Some years only 3 months. If it ain't raining it's overcast. If it ain't overcast it's raining.
If my son didn't live here I'd be done gone and moved. I'm considering ordering the Antimode. I read it really easy to use and takes little time.
Sounds like something right up my alley.

We're up above Chico and get between fifty and seventy inches of rain a year but it all happens in the November to May months, normal like. Lots of sunshine and fishing with little gloom. Our Anti-Mode unit should be here either Wednesday or Thursday. biggrin.gif

Quote:

It is incredibly easy...

I like easy.

-
post #379 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is incredibly easy and takes 15 mins., max, from opening the box to listening to tunes/watching movies (for one run-through). If you plan to test different sub locations, multiply the 15 mins. (likely down to 10) by the number of locations you intend to try.

Well, I'm sold. I get two retirement checks a month. I use one mostly for toys. Just have to wait for the toy one to come in again. I've learned not to touch my savings.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:

post #380 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Gotta have toys or why bother.
post #381 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotta have toys or why bother.

"He who dies with the most toys wins". Don't really know who said that. As for the "Old Farts Club", I retired at 58 and am now 69. Worked for the Seattle Times newspaper for 33 years and was in managemnet. Started as a printer in the Composing Room and ended up a Asst Manager in Production. After I retired, I wanted a set of mains for my big screen TV. My wife objected to speakers in the living room so I took her to a couples counselor. She was real big on that sort of thing to get me to move on issues that she wanted. Anyway all said and done, I got my speakers and just kept on going. No weeping wife and no regreats from her. She ended up enjoying watching a movie now and then. Wife passed away last year after 44 years of being together and here I am in a 3400 sq ft rambler on 5 acres and I get to make all the noise I want. And, I am just 10 minutes from the state capitol building. Olympia is nice, utilities are cheap, and the winters are grey and dreary. Being a Ex Marine platoon Sgt. I can adapt to any situation so life is good. Especially with 3 pensions coming in and SS.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #382 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I'm sold. I get two retirement checks a month. I use one mostly for toys. Just have to wait for the toy one to come in again. I've learned not to touch my savings.

Lived in Ballard for 33 years, sold and moved to Olympia.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #383 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

After I retired, I wanted a set of mains for my big screen TV. My wife objected to speakers in the living room so I took her to a couples counselor.

Here's one for the couples counselor to chew on, if it's big and boxy, it's out but in due time, I'll be able spend a boatload on a pair of Funk, 18.0C's and all I get is a sideways glance. confused.gif

When it's all put together, with pictures on the wall, I'll grab an image to post for as long as everything "blends," I'm good.

Congrats on your early retirement and as always, it's never nice to read that one has lost their life's companion.
post #384 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's one for the couples counselor to chew on, if it's big and boxy, it's out but in due time, I'll be able spend a boatload on a pair of Funk, 18.0C's and all I get is a sideways glance. confused.gif
When it's all put together, with pictures on the wall, I'll grab an image to post for as long as everything "blends," I'm good.
Congrats on your early retirement and as always, it's never nice to read that one has lost their life's companion.

Dude, you need your space for your thing. She has to understand that, what does she want?

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #385 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Dude, you need your space for your thing. She has to understand that, what does she want?

Like most women, to be left alone. tongue.gif

Hey, she's good with me getting a pair of Funk Audio, 18.0 C's. And this after getting a replacement 60" TV, AVR, a Klipsch, RC-64 II center channel, an Anti-Mode and directional mic setup to analyze the room acoustics with. That's better than a poke in the eye with a sharpened stick. You're not going read about me complaining. biggrin.gif

All she wants out of the deal is for the room to look like a normal living room. You know, the kind with a 60" LCD TV, large floor standing speakers with flanking subs and surrounds on the back wall. To keep her happy, the wires were hidden in the wall, the equipment wall was aesthetically organized with pictures strategically hung to compliment the placement of the speakers and TV. And when purchased, the subs will be a Rosenut finish to match the floor standing speakers. Yes, she has a sister but she's married and in Texas. rolleyes.gif
post #386 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like most women, to be left alone. tongue.gif
Hey, she's good with me getting a pair of Funk Audio, 18.0 C's. And this after getting a replacement 60" TV, AVR, a Klipsch, RC-64 II center channel, an Anti-Mode and directional mic setup to analyze the room acoustics with. That's better than a poke in the eye with a sharpened stick. You're not going read about me complaining. biggrin.gif
All she wants out of the deal is for the room to look like a normal living room. You know, the kind with a 60" LCD TV, large floor standing speakers with flanking subs and surrounds on the back wall. To keep her happy, the wires were hidden in the wall, the equipment wall was aesthetically organized with pictures strategically hung to compliment the placement of the speakers and TV. And when purchased, the subs will be a Rosenut finish to match the floor standing speakers. Yes, she has a sister but she's married and in Texas. rolleyes.gif

Cool, you're good to go then. About the sister, keep me in mind as sh** happens.

Bill

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #387 of 557 Old 11-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Cool, you're good to go then. About the sister, keep me in mind as sh** happens.
Bill

biggrin.gif
post #388 of 557 Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Anyone expert in Antimode can clarify this?

According to Antimode website, there's a big difference between the S and S-II. Is that table updated to reflect the newer S-II firmware in the old S hardware?

At 8033 S webpage, it says "Now programmed with S-II firmware! " but the features are much different from the new S-II, such as the frequency range of correction and the number of filter.

Now the question is: What is the difference between S (with S-II firmware) and S-II (besides the color of LED)? There's a big difference in price too... 271 euro vs 310 euro.

I'm worried because I just ordered an S-II through online, but I receive an old S with S-II firmware (serial number lower than S0980 but with a sticker that says "with S-II firmware"). mad.gif Even the box says 2010 (new model should be 2012). The technical specs on the box is definitely showing the obsolete stuff (90dB dynamic range?) I'm sure there are many things which just cannot be changed through firmware alone.

Should I go for a refund? In my opinion, ordered a 8033S-II but got a 8033S with S-II firmware is just plain wrong.

Here are some photos as proof:

post #389 of 557 Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
If that is what you paid for I would. They are different in specs and price.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

post #390 of 557 Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hello folks. I'd emailed DSpeaker and got the reply regarding the S and S-II issue.
Quote:
The difference is LED color (S has yellow, S-II has blue) and the graphics of the front plate (S or S-II). Otherwise the units are identical.

Anti-Mode 8033S and 8033S-II use identical electronics (the LEDs being the only difference), but the newer firmware has so many new features that we decided to name the new version S-II. The packaging for Anti-Mode 8033S was made before we had set the test limits, thus the 90dB figure was probably just inherited from Anti-Mode 8033C.

In fact, this is the first case I noticed (thanks to you) that the sleeve has 90dB instead of >92dB. Even if someone would've noticed the old figure earlier, we already had 1000 sleeves we needed to use... Now we are back to printed boxes for 8033S-II, the sleeves did not really work as well as we would've liked.

If you refer to our web store, the 271 euros is a special discounted (tax-free) price (and without shipping) for the last couple of units we have left. Also, the 8033S product description in our web store has not been updated to reflect the S-II firmware changes.

If the box and unit has a sticker "with S-II firmware", then we have programmed it with the S-II firmware here. You can easily check that the firmware is S-II by pressing the lift button a few times until the two lift LEDs dim. This is the subsonic-only mode, which is only available in S-II.

All units go through final test in production. There is of course some small variance between individual units, although the variance is much smaller than for example the majority of 8033C units (8033C has been replaced by 8033cinema, with smaller variance and a bit better SNR+THD as well). The SNR and THD have been improved since the first 8033S unit. I don't want to bore you with the details, but also the chips used in the product are tested by VLSI Solution with a special test program designed just for this Anti-Mode application, i.e. test the DAC unloaded instead of with a 30-Ohm load, and have stricter test limits. This also limits the variance between the assembled units.

Of course there is never any SNR to lose, so it always pays off to optimize the input levels going into Anti-Mode. You increase the sub output level from the AVR, then use the ADC warning LEDs to see when the input reaches its limits, then turn the AVR output down a bit. Compensate by turning the sub down accordingly. (Or first turn down the sub a bit, then recalibrate the levels from the AVR.)

Thank you, Pasi Ojala, Head of DSpeaker for answering my queries.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page