Antimode 8033 - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
post #601 of 613 Unread 03-11-2016, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post
I got my 8033-Cinema set up tonight and I'm very impressed. The boom is gone and all that's left is smooth, powerful and flat bass from my PSA S3000i. As someone who used to set up and equalize theaters, I've been chasing this kind of bass for many years and I can't believe a $350 tool is all I really needed. I wish I had heard of it long ago.

Very good to hear. Did u end up increasing the volume on subs or just as is ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 613 Unread 03-12-2016, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Most will feel the need to boost the bass a little after getting the problems peek away in the room, still the bass should be more powerful and have a tactile better feel to it.

Works wonderful on my dual 3x12

januza and FriscoDTM like this.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #603 of 613 Unread 03-12-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygrandis View Post
Most will feel the need to boost the bass a little after getting the problems peek away a in the room, still the bass should be more powerful and have a tactile better feel to it.

Works wonderful on my dual 3x12

Wow!!!!

post #604 of 613 Unread 03-12-2016, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Been interested in getting an Anti-Mode ever since I ordered a new subwoofer and my avr has no correction program. Can't find any inexpensive boxes for sale anywhere. I do have a SPL meter though. Been thinking about buying directly from VLSI. Cinema would be $307. Don't understand what the S-II would do for $81 more, and if I need that. On the VLSI store website, there is a place for a coupon code. Anyone know of a coupon code?
post #605 of 613 Unread 03-12-2016, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post
Very good to hear. Did u end up increasing the volume on subs or just as is ?

I set the volume about halfway up on my sub and left it there for both the Antimode and preamp's equalization routine. It ended up at -1, and my SPL meter showed it right at 85 dBC, so I left it there.

Preamplifier: Onkyo PR-SC5530 + DSPeaker Antimode 8033-Cinema
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5
Speakers: (5.1.2): Klipsch RP-250F mains, RP-450C center, RP-140SA surrounds, RP-140SA elevations, Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Screen: LG 60PV450 Plasma TV Sources: Panasonic BDT-220, Roku 3, Comcast cable
Room: Extensive treatment with GIK Acoustics Bass Traps and Absorption Panels
post #606 of 613 Unread 03-20-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Quote:
I set the volume about halfway up on my sub and left it there for both the Antimode and preamp's equalization routine. It ended up at -1, and my SPL meter showed it right at 85 dBC, so I left it there.
Just out of curiosity have you tested both the flat and the subsonic filter modes? According to the documentation the subsonic filter mode is the default after initial calibration, but I would assume flat is what most people use?

Been thinking of trying one of these but after reading the manuals and researching I'm a little unsure of why subsonic filter would be the default.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #607 of 613 Unread 03-21-2016, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Just out of curiosity have you tested both the flat and the subsonic filter modes? According to the documentation the subsonic filter mode is the default after initial calibration, but I would assume flat is what most people use?

Been thinking of trying one of these but after reading the manuals and researching I'm a little unsure of why subsonic filter would be the default.
From what I read in the manual, the subsonic filter is on by default to protect ported subs. If you don't have a ported sub, or have a beast of a ported sub, I'd go with the Flat mode, which is what I ended up setting mine to after the calibration.

I use the Dolby Atmos Amaze Trailer as my benchmark. The bass is insanely deep and powerful when the lightning strikes and thunder cracks about a minute into the trailer. Going from subsonic to flat was the difference between Wow! and Holy ______! With most material, I haven't noticed much difference, though.

Preamplifier: Onkyo PR-SC5530 + DSPeaker Antimode 8033-Cinema
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5
Speakers: (5.1.2): Klipsch RP-250F mains, RP-450C center, RP-140SA surrounds, RP-140SA elevations, Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Screen: LG 60PV450 Plasma TV Sources: Panasonic BDT-220, Roku 3, Comcast cable
Room: Extensive treatment with GIK Acoustics Bass Traps and Absorption Panels
post #608 of 613 Unread 03-21-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From what I read in the manual, the subsonic filter is on by default to protect ported subs. If you don't have a ported sub, or have a beast of a ported sub, I'd go with the Flat mode, which is what I ended up setting mine to after the calibration.

I use the Dolby Atmos Amaze Trailer as my benchmark. The bass is insanely deep and powerful when the lightning strikes and thunder cracks about a minute into the trailer. Going from subsonic to flat was the difference between Wow! and Holy ______! With most material, I haven't noticed much difference, though.
I see, so what is considered a "beast" of a ported sub? I have a PSA 15v for example. Should I be concerned with any potential damage from running a flat calibration?

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #609 of 613 Unread 03-21-2016, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 73
On the antimode 8033s-II, after cal the subsonic is auto engaged. You can disable it, IF you leave the cal as is.

If you want to engage the low freq LIFT function (think house curve) then the subsonic turns back on and there is no way to disable it. Part of the reason I bought a 8033, but then also bought a Dual Core. Well, that... and dual subs, PEQ function, etc..
post #610 of 613 Unread 03-21-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post
On the antimode 8033s-II, after cal the subsonic is auto engaged. You can disable it, IF you leave the cal as is.

If you want to engage the low freq LIFT function (think house curve) then the subsonic turns back on and there is no way to disable it. Part of the reason I bought a 8033, but then also bought a Dual Core. Well, that... and dual subs, PEQ function, etc..
Not interested in lift modes. Just wondering if there is any risk to calibrating and then running flat as it seems that the levels are much higher on the low end of the frequency range that way. I guess I thought there might be some risk when I read through the manual and saw something about protecting a ported sub and that the subsonic mode is default.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 03-21-2016 at 02:02 PM.
post #611 of 613 Unread 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 73
No risk whatsoever flat.

If you had some cheap POS sub, and cranked the low end via lift, AND put on a worn out badly recorded record (yes turntable) that put out distorted low end...well, then THAT is what the subsonic filter is for.
cmdrdredd and MackGuyver like this.
post #612 of 613 Unread 03-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Antimode 8033

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post

Is the dual core worth the extra investment when I have the anti mode already ? I'm running 2 SVS PB13 Ultras in a medium sized room not really built for home theater use.

post #613 of 613 Unread 03-25-2016, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This question was first generated in a thread I posted in "Help with EQ-ing my Sub". I just realized there was an Antimode thread, so here I am.

OK. Here I go again. Just when I thought I was making a move for a new avr (Denon x2200W), I started rethinking the Antimode option. Mainly because I figure I'm keeping the NAD regardless and it would be nice to pair it with a DSP of some kind. I've looked at the DSPeaker website and read the manual, but I'm confused with the 2.1 hookup diagram. My NAD C370 has pre-outs. But if I use the pre-out to connect to the Antimode, then connect the Antimode to my sub through the line out, doesn't that leave my mains nowehere? Don't I have to return the signal to my NAD through the pre-ins? This question reveals my inexperience with these matters, I know. But I could use a hand figuring this out in my head before I decide to go this route. A simple line diagram would be helpful with your explanation; I gotta "see" stuff to get it.

For more background to my questions, you can take a look at my original, short thread. Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers