Need Info on Very Old Sub (NEC SW-300) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My older brother recently gave me an NEC SW-300 subwoofer (bought from Crutchfield back in 1989) to replace a passive sub I was using for my home theater setup. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know any technical data on the capabilities of this subwoofer? Just pure speculation, but I'm assuming it was designed with music in mind and not home theater, so any information regarding frequency response, etc would be helpful.

2) Since this was sitting in a basement for 18+ years (it was only used for about 2 years), is there anything to look out for (deterioration of the speaker, etc). And how I could find out without opening her up.

With that said, it sounds great (though I'm no audiophile), and obviously produces better bass than my previous passive sub. Would greatly appreciate any help anyone is able to provide.

Might also be a good opportunity to test out Crutchfield's lifetime technical support guarantee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1981 View Post

My older brother recently gave me an NEC SW-300 subwoofer (bought from Crutchfield back in 1989) to replace a passive sub I was using for my home theater setup. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know any technical data on the capabilities of this subwoofer? Just pure speculation, but I'm assuming it was designed with music in mind and not home theater, so any information regarding frequency response, etc would be helpful.

2) Since this was sitting in a basement for 18+ years (it was only used for about 2 years), is there anything to look out for (deterioration of the speaker, etc). And how I could find out without opening her up.

With that said, it sounds great (though I'm no audiophile), and obviously produces better bass than my previous passive sub. Would greatly appreciate any help anyone is able to provide.

Might also be a good opportunity to test out Crutchfield's lifetime technical support guarantee!

Since it sounds great I wouldn't open it up. IMHO, the first thing to go on old subwoofers is the surround. Many of them were made of foam that was subject to deterioration.

But, you will usually hear unwanted noises if the surround is shot. If you are lucky you will get decent response down to 25 Hz. If you can't find the specs for it, I wouldn't over-think it. Just enjoy it.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

Using DVE to test frequency response (should have thought of that before), I can begin to feel/hear at a few ticks under 24hz, which I guess makes it good enough for home theater use. Also, thanks to a photo online, found out it has a 12" woofer, so I think I've pieced together enough info on it.

Two other questions:

The subwoofer has a crossover dial (70hz, 100hz, and 150 hz) and a Level dial (0-10). From what I understand, it's best to have the subwoofer crossover set as high as possible, and have the receiver handle that aspect so as not to have it interfere, correct?

My receiver doesn't have Audyssey, so I'm using a Radioshack meter to calibrate audio levels. Everything sounds right, but I've had to set my subwoofer's level to 1, and reduce the subwoofer -12db through the receiver. When I get home tonight, I'll try to calibrate from the 0 level, but my question is what does the level control do? I'm assuming its amplifying the signal, so I guess calibrating from 0 would be best?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Greg
I have used one of those subs for many years while I lived in an apartment. I still have it. It depends on your speakers and how you hook it up.
I used it in a stereo set up so I ran the speaker wires to sub and speakers, I used the lower crossover setting and just adjusted the volume knob up until it provided the very low end. I was using small Celestion book shelf speakers and the combo worked well.
Later, I used it in my home theater for awhile and I hooked it up the same way, with my TV on top. It worked wonderfully.
I am surprised to hear it has a 12", I thought it was a 10" but I have never opened the unit and the paperwork supplied with the sub was, well, less than adequate.
I purchased mine from Crutchfield in ,,,, um,,,, late 80's?
If you have specific questions just PM me.
Good luck with the sub.

deeper than the deepest ocean
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

It was a shot in the dark, but I e-mailed Crutchfield yesterday, hoping they might have info stashed away on carbon copy. Believe it or not, they replied back with specs! Posting the reply here in case anyone in the future looks for such information, and thanks to Ann from Crutchfield:

Quote:

I'll be happy to help with your question on the NEC SW-300 subwoofer. Believe it or not, there is an NEC SW-300 subwoofer listed in our product database. The database indicates it was discontinued in August of 1990, so I'm pretty sure it's the one you have.

That's the good news. The bad news is that there is not a lot of information on it included in the database, and we do not have the owner's manual stored in the database in PDF format. Here's what I do know about it:

· The RMS power is 60 watts.

· The frequency response is 20-150Hz.

· It apparently has a variable crossover because the crossover points are listed as 70, 100, or 150db.

· The enclosure is a bass reflex enclosure.

· It has spring clip connectors (which you probably already know).

· The woofer is a 12-inch paper woofer.

· It came with a 2-year warranty from the manufacturer.

· It was made in Japan.

· At the time it was discontinued, it was priced at $329.

The database also lists the dimensions and the color, but I'm assuming you don't really need that information.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Liked: 10
I believe I have the same sub and have been all over the internet looking for help with it, was a great sub and I was pushin its limits the other day then just popped off , now it wont turn on i cant figure it out checked the fuses some connections didnt smell or see anything burnt, was wondering if anyone may have an idea?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page