MFW-15 w/ new July 2009 amps <absolutely NO AV123 or MLS bashing/negativity!!> - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

Evil,

Why would anybody have to "back off" to 12? Typically between the AVR and the gain on the sub 11:00 seems to be the norm. If you have it set up to 1:00 are you lowering the level in the AVR?
I just ran a few sequences from WOTW and Iron Man with both subs gained up to 1:00, this was simply too strong and checking the rat shack meter using my AVR test tones I was running near 90db so 10 to 11 db hotter than I typically would so it wouldn't shock me if people who had it up this high complained of straining subs.

But again, if you're running the subs at 80db or 75db with the gain on the sub at 1:00 Maybe backing off on the gain on the sub and upping it a bit in the AVR might sound better, or am I smoking ganja..

oh, i have the gain in the pre/pro set down to just +2.0 and the gain on the sub at 12 o'clock, but i still get that "flapping" noise from time to time on a very hot sequence.

btw...i made an "improvement" to my home theater...not sonically but at least it looks a lot better now. new carpet in my whole house!!! :-) here's how my front set up looks now. i have 1 more mfw15 in the back of the room..and of course 4 x rss300's doing surround work. also, the screen is new...it's a DIY that i built 120" 1.78:1 ratio with real screen material i bought online at www.BuildYourOwnProjectionScreen.com and it really is great for the price. fixed frame is DEFINITELY the way to go...eliminates all waves and produces an incredible image

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

oh, i have the gain in the pre/pro set down to just +2.0 and the gain on the sub at 12 o'clock, but i still get that "flapping" noise from time to time on a very hot sequence.

Did you ever get yourself an SPL meter to calibrate your system or are you still going by ear? It's hard to believe you have issues such as you say with three properly calibrated subs. If, in fact, you do, why don't you move on to bigger and better things? I know that you've always had doubts that the MFWs could fulfill your voracious appetite for bass. Actually, I thought you were planning to get rid of your subs once the replacement amp(s?) were in. I forget - how many of your trio are running on a recently replaced amp?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I don't want to de-rail the thread from updates on the new amps, but what did you exactly "re-route". I read this on removing the ground:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=mfw+wire

That sounds like a potential fire hazard.

The re-routing I did was not inside my cable box, but rather in back of the MFW-15. You have to take the amp out to do this. There is a guide to to this in AV123's forum.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

this is the pic where the wires should go, speaker leads to right...signal wires left side...

I run my subout at -4 to make sure the amp output is not clipping either...at +2 is it possible you are doing that also?
LL

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW1 View Post

Alright, the younger brother came over and we unboxed his possible gift. We set it exactly as the other (gain to 11 o'clock, phase in the middle, and crossover setting all the way up - no calibrating as of yet). We did the Ironman scene and it was awesomely clean, deep, and violent. We ran mine (the original unboxed one) set it exactly as the other and ran it. All four of us (me, wife, him and his squeeze) all let out gasps of horror. I've decided the sounds are not chuffing but something is way off. Either it's leaking like crazy and needs the driver tightened down or something else. Also, with both subs sitting next to each other we all noticed the driver in the sick sub looking different. It had less sheen, more of a matte finish. Weird? We snapped a couple pics with the iPhone, inverted each sub's position and still it looked different. Ideas? I'll give the AV123 guys a call tomorrow or Monday if they're not open tomorrow.

You will get some technical assistance on the first sub that has a problem. As you suggested, either a simple tightening, or most likely a new driver.

The difference in the appearance of the two drivers is not all that unusual, and should NOT affect the performance of either sub. I have experienced the same thing only with the woofers in a good pair of speakers.

I DO empathize with you on the feeling you get because of the different appearance. I ran my speakers without the grill cloths for many years and it was a constant reminder. But, I was never able to hear any difference in sound quality or performance between the two speakers.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

You will get some technical assistance on the first sub that has a problem. As you suggested, either a simple tightening, or most likely a new driver.

The difference in the appearance of the two drivers is not all that unusual, and should NOT affect the performance of either sub. I have experienced the same thing only with the woofers in a good pair of speakers.

I DO empathize with you on the feeling you get because of the different appearance. I ran my speakers without the grill cloths for many years and it was a constant reminder. But, I was never able to hear any difference in sound quality or performance between the two speakers.

I was just wondering if the different appearance was some sort of indicator the sick sub had an old beater driver in compared to the healthy one. The slightly more-glossy woofer does look a little nicer for some reason. But you're correct, performance is what matters and the matte one, regardless of appearance, is definitely messed up in some way.

I sent AV123 an email because they're closed today, hopefully they'll give me a call on Monday. Should I go ahead and remove the front face plate and try to tighten the driver down? Or should I wait for their guidance?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 PM

I agree that pushed to hard the MFW-15 will distort, bottom out, clip, etc.. This can be said of any sub. But Audyssey is boosting the low frequencies and I finally got a chance to see exactly what was going on with REW this weekend.

REW graphs of the FR of my MFW-15:

With Audyssey and no eQ.2:

With Audyssey and eQ.2 filters applied:
[/quote]

Now I have tons more headroom with the eQ.2 filters taming the boost. This only applys to those with Audyssey that have distortion issues even at lower volumes. If you are pushing your system to the max (running the sub hot and listening at reference) then you will always eventually find your subs limit.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW1 View Post

I was just wondering if the different appearance was some sort of indicator the sick sub had an old beater driver in compared to the healthy one. The slightly more-glossy woofer does look a little nicer for some reason. But you're correct, performance is what matters and the matte one, regardless of appearance, is definitely messed up in some way.

I sent AV123 an email because they're closed today, hopefully they'll give me a call on Monday. Should I go ahead and remove the front face plate and try to tighten the driver down? Or should I wait for their guidance?

Yah... make sure that sub is put together tight and you don't have any air leaks. I'd go so far as to take the driver all the way out and look inside. If its all tight and dandy in there, screw the driver back in snug and pull the amp off the back or at least make sure its tight as well. If none of that works you could even swap drivers with the other sub that works great to make sure it's the driver causing the issue and not something else.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:46 PM

Well, my new amp is up and running and i sure did miss it. Loaded up KFP and iron man to test out the bass. Didnt realize how much bass i was missing with an old velodyne f1500. Such a big difference with the mfw. I've noticed that the amp does run alot warmer then the previous. I would consider the old amp to be warm, but this one is borderline hot. I tested with a killawatt to see how much watts it takes, and its right at 23 watts idle. I tested the old amp before and it was the same. I also get a big thump when unplugging the MFW now. I did not get that with the previous amp. No hums with a cheater plug. It's been 3 long months, but im happy that my system is back to normal.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

well, i got my replacement driver for one of my mfw15's and it seems to be working just fine thus far. i did get some weird noises when i first powered it on (loud buzzing) but that went away after a few seconds. i'll keep you guys up to date on what happens. back to 3 working MFW15's and we'll see just how good the bass can be in a little bit.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

As you already know, there are restrictions on weight as well as dimensions. Are you looking to ship it domestically or overseas?

Trying to ship overseas to Japan. Although via USPS, shipping costs is same as it would shipping to California (for APO AP anyway).
Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post

.... But Audyssey is boosting the low frequencies and I finally got a chance to see exactly what was going on with REW this weekend.

REW graphs of the FR of my MFW-15:

With Audyssey and no eQ.2:

With Audyssey and eQ.2 filters applied:

Now I have tons more headroom with the eQ.2 filters taming the boost. This only applys to those with Audyssey that have distortion issues even at lower volumes. If you are pushing your system to the max (running the sub hot and listening at reference) then you will always eventually find your subs limit.[/quote]

Based on these graphs, I think all eQ.2 did was to have lowered your levels overall... there is still some 8-10dB difference between your low-end and mid-bass ranges.

duwdu

My audio listening nirvana is best served rich ... with bass very well done.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

btw...i made an "improvement" to my home theater...not sonically but at least it looks a lot better now. new carpet in my whole house!!! :-) here's how my front set up looks now. i have 1 more mfw15 in the back of the room..and of course 4 x rss300's doing surround work. also, the screen is new...it's a DIY that i built 120" 1.78:1 ratio with real screen material i bought online at www.BuildYourOwnProjectionScreen.com and it really is great for the price. fixed frame is DEFINITELY the way to go...eliminates all waves and produces an incredible image

PE....very nice, clean looking set up. Good job on the screen, too.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwdu View Post

Based on these graphs, I think all eQ.2 did was to have lowered your levels overall... there is still some 8-10dB difference between your low-end and mid-bass ranges.

duwdu

I have not used a sub REQ, but I had the same impression from the graphs. I would imagine that the benifit from the investment in a REQ would be to tame the peaks and boost the nulls.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM

My MFW-15 arrived Friday afternoon. Set up yesterday with no hum issues. Everything has sounded really good so far.

Still waiting on the Gramma to arrive to isolate it from the hardwood floors. Should come early next week.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwdu View Post

Now I have tons more headroom with the eQ.2 filters taming the boost. This only applys to those with Audyssey that have distortion issues even at lower volumes. If you are pushing your system to the max (running the sub hot and listening at reference) then you will always eventually find your subs limit.

duwdu[/quote]

Yep. I'm new to using REW. This is a learning experience and I've enjoyed playing with this program. I think Audyssey uses more of a house curve so that is my target curve now. Here is my latest attempt:

Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 PM

Just got one with a new amp. No hum if I isolate the data and power cables. It is a room-demolisher. Price was obscenely good too.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

PE....very nice, clean looking set up. Good job on the screen, too.

thanks man. total cost of that screen is about $130.00 for all materials, and 4 hours of work give or take
Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Hey PE, how did the new amps fit? Everything good to great so far?

Where is Crowcaine? How are the new amps, subs working?

Very quiet now with all these "new" amps being shipped, I suspect everyone is just enjoying their new found BASS...enjoy all!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM

I should mention that my amp only barely gets warm. It must be a better design that the old amp because there is now way this unit would need extra cooling.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks man. total cost of that screen is about $130.00 for all materials, and 4 hours of work give or take

Always a good thing when, with little in the way of cash, and a little labor, you can have a product that stands up to anything on the commercial market.

Everything looks good!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got in touch with the AV123 guys last night (they sure are a friendly bunch). They had me take out the driver and amp, inspect the inside then re-install everything. Before taking it out, I noticed the amp was a little loose. Also, the four bolts on the front plate were not snug down very tight, likely culprit of the loud leakage. After I re-installation I ran some tests pushing the sub hard. Only at radical levels did I perceive any extraneous noise; so it's now at about 95% of the healthy MFW-15. I'm pretty sure there's still a tiny leak around the driver only heard when pushing it hard. Kyle, at AV123, agreed and recommended I replace the driver gasket foam. So, with that in mind I ordered some gasket-foam tape from Partsexpress.com, expected to arrive on Friday. I'll reseal both the driver and amp and report back expecting 100% performance. Anyway, I'd rather try the reseal than re-boxing the beast and sending it back for a replacement. Of course that's what'll probably happen if my reseal job fails; I'm confident it won't.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Hey PE, how did the new amps fit? Everything good to great so far?

Where is Crowcaine? How are the new amps, subs working?

Very quiet now with all these "new" amps being shipped, I suspect everyone is just enjoying their new found BASS...enjoy all!

amp was a tight fit. i had to pound it in with a hammer. other than that, the subs are working great. the new amp definitely hits harder than the original amps i am still running though...which seems very odd to me since they are supposed to be basically the same. anyone else experience this?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:

amp was a tight fit. i had to pound it in with a hammer. other than that, the subs are working great. the new amp definitely hits harder than the original amps i am still running though...which seems very odd to me since they are supposed to be basically the same. anyone else experience this?

That actually might be true. I'm not completely sure though as I reconfigured my system with MCACC again. My family and i noticed more impact in certain scenes. My friend also got a replacement amp and has one old amp on his other sub. He also notices that the new amp is more hard hitting. I discredited what he said though as he probably didnt reconfigure his system after installing the new amp. I just thought that maybe my roomeq did a better job this time. Oh well, who knows, I'm certainly not complaining though, it is a welcome change.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 PM

My amp in my first sub is not "hot" but definitely warm. The amp on my new sub is not as warm to the touch.

As long as the new amp does its job reliably, AV123 is back on the right track with the MFW-15.

Just make sure they're in stock before you buy one.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandsr View Post

As I previously stated I did not have a hum issue with the original amp. So not being an EE I would assume I wouldn't have a ground loop issue with the replacement amp as nothing what so ever has changed in my HT system. And I have installed the cheater plug that is supposed to eliminate ground loop issues.
I did rewrap the two large wire connections with electrical tape so they are the way I found them when I opened the sub up. I routed those two wires to the left and the grey wire to the right for non ground loop issues as recommended in the AV!@# forum for good measure while I was in there. And I did install the ferrite bead clamp per the included instructions.
I have emailed AV!@# tech support with my problem but as they are not open until Monday I thought I would try here to see if any one else has the same problem and what they may have tried to correct it.
Don't get me wrong I love having my sub back in action. I had forgotten how great it sounds to have deep loud bass. But I do want to have a subwoofer without the hum.

A quick note to say that AV123 has sent me a new amp to address this issue. I would like to say thank you very much to AV123. I received the amp today and will install it this weekend. I must say this is the type of customer care I expected when I first ordered with this company. I really hope this is evidence that they have turned a corner in customer care to people who are still on the fence about ordering from them!!! I will update with my results next week.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sounds like you never invested in a DB meter and have the things set way too high... On my onkyo 805 with gain a 0db not plus 2 with 1 MFW-15 the proper volume setting is 10 oclock.... preamps and receivers vary but without some sort of objective measuring tool your just flying blind.

but then again you've already been told this but seem to not want to listen....

Sean
Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 PM

Just got and installed a Satin Black MFW-15.

Well worth the $. Don't think twice. Working awesome. I've barely turned it up...and it's definitely rockin' the room. My room is fairly large, about 15' x 20' x 8' and this thing is POUNDING.

I doubt you'll get anything better for the money.

MLS is back, folks.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

sounds like you never invested in a DB meter and have the things set way too high... On my onkyo 805 with gain a 0db not plus 2 with 1 MFW-15 the proper volume setting is 10 oclock.... preamps and receivers vary but without some sort of objective measuring tool your just flying blind.

but then again you've already been told this but seem to not want to listen....

Sean

Actually - the flapping noise is well documented on the MFW-15. I don't know how many people are effected by this but there are at least 5 that I know of off the top of my head. Granted you have to really push them but if you want see if yours make the flapping noise just put in "the haunting" and play the scene where she enters the computer room. Now this scene is RIDICULOUS in that it is mastered 10 dB hot at 18hz.

Having said that there are other scenes in other movies that make this noise, just have to be a big enough bass head to push your subwoofer to it's limits and be listening to a scene that is fairly quiet except for the massive deep bass. (The Haunting is perfect for this)

What exactly this flapping noise is I don't know. Someday I may be motivated enough to try and figure it out. I was having a running dialouge with a guy who was going to try and reseal the driver on his because the running theory is the flapping noise is air coming from the seal of the driver but he went MIA so I don't know how that turned out.

It is such a minor issue I haven't even put my subs side by side, level matched them, and played them independantly through the haunting scene to see if one makes the flapping noise more than the other.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got my new amp up and running and no problems so far. IMHO, I do not notice a big difference in sound quality, but I notice a slight improvement in regards to output. I am very impressed with the MFW-15's presence and feel for HT and music. I have listened to dual ULS-15s, HSU VTF3-MK3, and lastly took a trip to AV123 headquaters to take a listen to dual MFW-15s. To me, it was clear that the MFW-15s was more accurate as well as just in your face. Props to AV123 and Seaton for making probably one of the best subs in it's price point or higher.