MFW-15 w/ new July 2009 amps <absolutely NO AV123 or MLS bashing/negativity!!> - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine View Post

Nice. Driver for the MFW good to go today Mark? Is the power line from the driver pre-attached of will I have to re-solder it?

Leaving tomorrow...

The wires will be soldered and in place with the Bullet Connectors... You just plug it in - and let er rip...

Thanks D...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Thank you sir.
post #363 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Mark, I am thrilled that you have graced us with your advice and kindness. May I ask if you are familiar with the hum issue that many people have had on with their new replacement amps and new MFW-15s? Have any steps been taken to correct this on the current shipments of new MFW-15s and amps??

I am DYING to order a dual set-up of MFW-15s, but I want to confidently know that these amps will be just plug and play....like they should be.

Does anyone else have any pending issues with their MFW-15?? It seems that there is atleast 1 thumb up on the MFW-15....and the 2nd thumb is atleast parallel with the ground .

Thanks for your very nice message... Here is what I know...

I have been manning the CS Desk here at av123 for weeks now (ext 301) and I would guesstimate that I have had input with roughly 70% of the 330 warranty queue amps - and the 40++ freight damaged units... So, not the WHOLE Enchilada - but certainly the vast majority...

That said... I can share with you that I've had several "back and forths" with folks that have had some hum (some more than others)... There have been the usual - and the not-so-usual fixes...

The usual ones --- try a Ground Lift (cheater plug)... This works in roughly 90% of the cases. I've had folks take the mains plug OUT of their Surge Protectors and go DIRECTLY to the Wall Mains... This has worked as well... In some spots I have had to call (I like doing that) and we slowly figure out which item is causing the Ground Loop... I've had a few interesting ones...

A few days ago I spoke with a gentleman in Seattle - he could not get rid of the hum... It ended up being a bad Toslink Cable... (incredibly)... This fellow had the Toslink inserted between his (very good) DVD Player and his Receiver... He removed it - and all of a sudden NO MORE HUM... I suggested trying another connection means - and Viola... perfect.

I've also had folks literally fixing the (poor) electrical mains ground... This is extreme - but it has worked in all cases... (even copper piping set ups for "ground")...

Of course there has been a cornucopia of the modem / cable modem (w/variants) et all interactions - but this is all normal... These are the biggest offenders...

I know no one wants to hear this - but that 3rd wire connection is really in some cases a GROUND LOOP MAKER with other items in the system... I personally know that some companies are NOT using 3rd wire because of the hassle - trust me - I get it...

I can also share with you that in one case I'm working with someone in New Orleans that has some RFI problems with FM Reception... Only one to date that I know of - but this fellow mentioned to me that he knows of at least one other guy with this issue...

I would have to say that in virtually ALL cases I have been able to work through any problems I've been presented... I cannot think of but one where I have failed...

The new amp behaves very well... predictably and (very) reliably... John did a super job with the design. This amp does "burp" on occasion with power up and shut down - but we see no issues with that at all... NONE.

The new amp IS quite a bit more powerful "short duration" (50mS burst at over 600 "for real" watts) and having the VC in the Output/Filter Loop allows for much more control...

I can honestly say that we all feel that what we have now works real well - "real world" and can deliver the goods in all respects...

I'm here to help if you need more input on this subject...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #364 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Feeth, the couch should not and will not affect the sub performance. What you should move to the other corner is a second MFW-15.

Thanks Deepstang! I believe my room is in the 4000-4500 cu ft and the MFW-15 does very well.
post #365 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeth View Post

Thanks Deepstang! I believe my room is in the 4000-4500 cu ft and the MFW-15 does very well.

Please remember that you can easily test some of the "room loading ~ unloading" (peaks/dips etc.) by running one out of phase... This can really help...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #366 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Schifter View Post

Please remember that you can easily test some of the "room loading ~ unloading" (peaks/dips etc.) by running one out of phase... This can really help...

All the best...

mls

Thanks Mark, but I only have one.
post #367 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeth View Post

Thanks Mark, but I only have one.

oops...

my bad...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #368 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

It was summoned for an "exam". $275 dollars later the stuff was released. $90 exam fee, $45 for storage, $45 for unloading the skid, $45 for reloading the skid and then another $50 for some lady to write up a bond doc. I'll be bringing EVERYTHING I ever buy in through the States from now on by picking up in Buffalo. Canada customs are worse than leeches.

um. WTF? Customs does NOT charge for examinations dude. you got ripped off by the shipping company NOT Canada Border Services Agency. i guarantee you that. IF the truck it was on was offloaded, that bill is charged to the trucking company, NOT the person who has goods on the truck. i'd like some more info on this.
post #369 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Believe me - I know this in the worst way...

I have had some chats with Bob Reimer about this - and as we are working on some new drivers together - I will restart those chats...

You know my fondness for Canada (personally) and I'm really going to try hard... The last year has been very rough - and really I have only myself to blame... (well enough chronicled)... Moving the electronics to the USA has helped tremendously... I will also not forsake our man in China (Zeng Ming) - and my plan is to bring some sub assemblies in - but assemble everything and TEST here in Colorado...

Better days ahead -

With thanks...

mls

HEY MLS!!! what's this i'm hearing about a new amp with 1000 watts coming out soon? is this for the MFW15? or a different sub??? give us the details!
post #370 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post

my living room space is around 14 feet wide and 15 or so feet deep with an angled ceiling and opens to a kitchen in the back. I have an Epik Sentinel which i'll move to the front between the stand and right tower speaker once i have my tv stand put into place. The MFW will take the spot next to the couch on the left. does it really help having the sub pointing into the couch as i've read online?
now i need is a projector but i think that's a few years off though considering what i'm looking at and the screen. happy enough to have the sound system at least and a 4 year old rear proj dlp.

dude. BUILD YOUR OWN SCREEN!!!
post #371 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

hey guys..just in case anyone is interested....i have been doing some seriously bass testing here in my house, and i can tell you 100% that the new amps absolutely rock!!! they hit WAAAAAY harder than my other 2 original amps!!! and...

i used to have a hum issue with my old amp (before it blew up) and the new amp has NO HUM issues at ALL!!! so....i would not hesitate to buy another MFW-15 ....in fact i'm considering it......and you should too :-)
post #372 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Liked: 12
Screen? i wish i could but i have a 720p rear dlpl. i'm old school still. lol. no 1080p here in my jungle. i'd probably go electric tab tension. i don't watch blu ray much either. if i had a dedicated room, yes i'd build my own fixed screen. first get my 2nd sub done then figure out a projector later. i'm still drooling over all the screenshots online. gotta figure if i can do the 2nd sub here first.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
post #373 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

HEY MLS!!! what's this i'm hearing about a new amp with 1000 watts coming out soon? is this for the MFW15? or a different sub??? give us the details!

Whoa... seriously- how did you find out about this...

It is true - we need 1kW for the next step (1.6kW short duration) - can't say more... I'm sorry...

You'll surely like it though...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #374 of 2801 Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Spill it, Schifter.

(j/k)..

(sort of..)
post #375 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to see you around Mark!
1K sounds very sweet....time to start day dreaming about it...

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #376 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Spill it, Schifter.

(j/k)..

(sort of..)

No can do...

When these are in the corral - and ready to romp - THEN I will say more...

Has to be this way from now on... especially after some folks that were visiting av123 saw some prototypes of our new smaller subs - and they reported this in a few spots... Trouble (cap T)...

Many thanks...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #377 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post

Good to see you around Mark!
1K sounds very sweet....time to start day dreaming about it...

Oh yes...

BTW... look for that letter you had mentioned in your mail today...

With huge hugs...

Mark

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #378 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks a lot brother....!
Talk to you soon.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #379 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 05:37 AM

Wow, leaking info about new amps and subs... Seems somewhat contrived, huh? Well, fortunately the replacement MFW amps seem to be doing the trick... As a matter of fact, I'm starting to feel a little left out with my 1+ year old amp that still works - just not as well as these new models.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
post #380 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:

MLS back on the forums, MFW's rocking peoples houses, this is the way it should be.

You forgot to mention the possibly bipolar P-E, seemingly on the upswing now

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
post #381 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post

Wow, leaking info about new amps and subs... Seems somewhat contrived, huh? Well, fortunately the replacement MFW amps seem to be doing the trick... As a matter of fact, I'm starting to feel a little left out with my 1+ year old amp that still works - just not as well as these new models.

Please do NOT feel left out...

This was not in any way planned - but I DO know Pure E (passionate fellow for sure) and yet I am surprised that he knew about this... 12HR is all about 1kW (we need that)... but with the knowledge gained from the MFW-15 - we simply want to do the same (but with bigger power and more flexibility) later for some of the new stuff (larger and smaller models to come)...

I will share some information about extended warranties for those with current models soon...

Thanks - and all the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #382 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will share some information about extended warranties for those with current models soon...

Don't you have a phone to answer>>>

50 years sounds about right to me!

Sounds like a "HOTROD MFW-15" upgrade, on the horizon??

Later Buffalo,,,

HH
post #383 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've also had folks literally fixing the (poor) electrical mains ground... This is extreme - but it has worked in all cases... (even copper piping set ups for "ground")...

Of course there has been a cornucopia of the modem / cable modem (w/variants) et all interactions - but this is all normal... These are the biggest offenders...

I know no one wants to hear this - but that 3rd wire connection is really in some cases a GROUND LOOP MAKER with other items in the system... I personally know that some companies are NOT using 3rd wire because of the hassle - trust me - I get it...

Thanks for your detailed explanation!! So, do you think the hum issue may be selective to just a few batches, or is it inherent to design or build? I don't know circuits well enough to understand the details of the poor house ground causing the hum; however, I know that in many situations people had a previous sub that did not have a hum; but, with the MFW-15 they noticed a hum. I agree where most people seemed to have success in having the hum toned down with the "cheater plug".

I was reviewing the warranty on AV123 products, and I think 3 years on parts and labor is great...and also the 30 day trial/return policy!! I am loving the more consistant success with the electronically updated MFW-15.
post #384 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM

Just curious, if this new larger model is the BMF, could an email message possibly be sent out to the people on the BMF waiting list?

Thanks.
post #385 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM

LOL Jinx, you opened a big can of worms with the 1KW amp talk! If your curious about that wail until you hear about the........
post #386 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, so I know Im throwing this out there to a crowd of MFW owners. I thought I would get some opinions from people who own one of the subs Im considering.
If it were you, all things considered, would you buy dual MFWs for $1160 shipped or dual ed A5-350s for $1400 shipped?
post #387 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM

anyone notice that when the "auto" power doesn't have a signal for a while it now makes a clicking sound when it turns off instead of going into standby silently?
post #388 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

Don't you have a phone to answer>>>

50 years sounds about right to me!

Sounds like a "HOTROD MFW-15" upgrade, on the horizon??

Later Buffalo,,,

HH

HA... With Gracie now heading to CU now instead of Univeristy of AZ - I thought I put that license plate in her dorm room...

No MFW-15 HR in our future...

Be careful out there...

All the best...

mls

(answering the phone... )

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #389 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your detailed explanation!! So, do you think the hum issue may be selective to just a few batches, or is it inherent to design or build? I don't know circuits well enough to understand the details of the poor house ground causing the hum; however, I know that in many situations people had a previous sub that did not have a hum; but, with the MFW-15 they noticed a hum. I agree where most people seemed to have success in having the hum toned down with the "cheater plug".

I was reviewing the warranty on AV123 products, and I think 3 years on parts and labor is great...and also the 30 day trial/return policy!! I am loving the more consistant success with the electronically updated MFW-15.

Good question - that's a bit difficult to answer...

I think when we made the decision to EXPORT this product - and therefore in compliance with certain regulatory bodies - we sort of opened ourselves up to possible (additional) hum issues... I do feel satisfied that with few exception we seem to be "hum free"...

Appreciate your message... I will have more to say about extended warranties with respect to the MFW-15 soon...

Thanks - and all the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #390 of 2801 Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:

anyone notice that when the "auto" power doesn't have a signal for a while it now makes a clicking sound when it turns off instead of going into standby silently?

I haven't noticed this with mine.

- Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page