MFW-15 w/ new July 2009 amps <absolutely NO AV123 or MLS bashing/negativity!!> - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2801 Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

Penngray,

That's completely innacurate - the difference between AV123 and the major sub manufacturers is they do not disclose any of this "sensitive" information regarding warranty and failure rates - nor is most of their customer base a rabid group of internet junkies who talk about them every day on a forum.

Take this into context - If we all followed major TV or speaker manufacturers that way and had that data, i'm sure AV123 wouldn't look quite so bad.

The failure rate for the first amps was horrendous - but I don't think it's really time to start declaring the new amps defunct already.

Yes, but an assumption is being made that the information is very accurate. Further, the data needs to be fleshed out a bit more. For example, if a sub ships and a wire came loose, is that counted as a failure. What if a sub needs two or more amps? How is that counted? As it stands now it's counted as one. What if I needed an amp and a new driver or two? How is that counted?

Back in '08, this informal survey was run. It too suffers from items that I mentioned as well as that not everyone who has an AV123 product is a poster. So, there may be more users with satisfied product or less. I have no idea how AV123 tracks matters. I don't know if they've got a tally sheet or some kind of database that could be sliced and diced. I'd rather hear about less problems for anything. Problems cost sales. They cost time. They cost profits. They cost allocation of resources. They're just bad for business.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2801 Old 09-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I'd rather hear about less problems for anything. Problems cost sales. They cost time. They cost profits. They cost allocation of resources. They're just bad for business.

Agreed! That goes for EVERYTHING!
post #723 of 2801 Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

And goodness. I just saw your "Indecent Proposal" Link and LOL'd quite hard.
post #724 of 2801 Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Took ya long enough!

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #725 of 2801 Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Liked: 10
received email from Mark with UPS 2 day air tracking number for replacement amp. As promised, scheduled for friday delivery
post #726 of 2801 Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesojdm View Post

Finally got around to hooking up my pair of MFW's tonight. Running a 5.2 receiver(LFE going to each MFW) Gain at 11'. X-over at 80. Anyways...at lowER volumes one sounds fine....but the other just sounds nasty. There is a crackle/buzz every time a bass note is heard. Kinda sounds like a loose dust cap, or something? Other one sounds fine, I even switched the RCA's on the preout...same thing. What should I do? Any quick trouble shooting you guys can suggest? I am going to try and call mark tomorrow. Shoot..they dont have but 15min on them. Thanks again!

Sound like a defective gain control panel. make sure the driver is face down while unpacking and not the amp and control panel, which would place undo stress on their circuit board, just a theory. Good luck.
post #727 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyshiat View Post

received email from Mark with UPS 2 day air tracking number for replacement amp. As promised, scheduled for friday delivery

Still waiting for my email and tracking #. We notified AV123 on or about the same day, so I hope I'm on today's list.
post #728 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Back in '08, this informal survey was run...

The link points to no where...
I don't know what's going on in this forum anymore... AVSForum has completely removed the whole "Safe to Buy an MFW, Now?" thread that was the counterbalance to this "absolutely NO AV123 or MLS bashing/negativity!!" thread. I don't come around here enough to know how much further 'sanatization' is being done behind the scenes lately, so I'm confused. Is the problem within your link or something more? Don't know.

Forums are a relatively poor choice to glean meaningful statistical data from as they are often populated by fanboys who are fanatically biased and conversely the angry customers are usually over represented also because usually if one is happy with a product they don't go seeking answers or exacting retribution on a forum and so are much less likely to end up here. So basically you have the two extremes overly represented and that can definitely end up skewing the data in any poll. Still I was curious to see what your linked poll appeared to suggest, but alas the link is (somehow) broken... sigh.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #729 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

The link points to no where...
I don't know what's going on in this forum anymore... AVSForum has completely removed the whole "Safe to Buy an MFW, Now?" thread that was the counterbalance to this "absolutely NO AV123 or MLS bashing/negativity!!" thread. I don't come around here enough to know how much further 'sanatization' is being done behind the scenes lately, so I'm confused. Is the problem within your link or something more? Don't know.

Forums are a relatively poor choice to glean meaningful statistical data from as they are often populated by fanboys who are fanatically biased and conversely the angry customers are usually over represented also because usually if one is happy with a product they don't go seeking answers or exacting retribution on a forum and so are much less likely to end up here. So basically you have the two extremes overly represented and that can definitely end up skewing the data in any poll. Still I was curious to see what your linked poll appeared to suggest, but alas the link is (somehow) broken... sigh.

You have to replace the ****** in the link with AV123 dot com
post #730 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

Absolutely. There's going to failures and defects with everything. Apple Computers and Lenovo Thinkpads (formerly IBM Thinkpads) are known to have very high quality parts, but hey, their stuff breaks too. Toyota and Hondas have a very excellent reliability, but I'm sure every year a few hundred or even a few thousand need repairs, given that they sell so much. If there were 500 MFWs sold, and a few amps go bad, that's not a reason to become Chicken Little. If there truly are large failures, they'll show up in the future.

lmao, you guys have zero clue about the company's history of you are chalking this up to simple and normal failure rates.

I have been around all of this stuff for awhile and there is not a SVS trouble thread, there is not a HSU trouble thread, there isnt even a Seaton trouble thread but AV123 has trouble threads DEDICATED to fixing problems that AV123 created....You do understand that isnt a good thing and you have the owner of AV123 recommending Cheater plugs and way more circuits then any MWF-15 ever needs...that says something to me also.

Sigh, some people can not get out of the way of their own stubborn opinion and this is from a guy that supported AV123 products (WHEN THEY WORK!)

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #731 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Forums are a relatively poor choice to glean meaningful statistical data from as they are often populated by fanboys who are fanatically biased and conversely the angry customers are usually over represented also because usually if....

You do realize there are some people that are purely data/measurements type people and they tend to leave all subjectivity at the door. I try to be one of those people.

What do you use for your data ? Manafucturer site? Audio magazine? Those to me are the worst places you have more BIAS with them then anywhere else.

All you ever need to do with any opinion is ask them if they have measurements to back up their opinion, if they don't then ignore them.

btw, AV123 dot com has been blocked for a long time. AVS has a policy about posting links to other sites with forums, they deem it competition. They are pretty stricted about AV123 actually more so then any other site (Well Ebay is the other).

post #732 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How utterly bizarre! It was a direct copy and paste from a close thread. Try this instead.

Go to their site and do an advanced search. For the user name, type craigsub and for the search term, type quality. Scroll down till you find the poll, A Thorough Quality Control Survey. That's the one.

post #733 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

You do understand that isnt a good thing and you have the owner of AV123 recommending Cheater plugs and way more circuits then any MWF-15 ever needs...that says something to me also.

This is the one and only reason why I didn't get a the sub.
post #734 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

You do realize there are some people that are purely data/measurements type people and they tend to leave all subjectivity at the door. I try to be one of those people.

What do you use for your data ? Manafucturer site? Audio magazine? Those to me are the worst places you have more BIAS with them then anywhere else.

All you ever need to do with any opinion is ask them if they have measurements to back up their opinion, if they don't then ignore them.

btw, AV123 dot com has been blocked for a long time. AVS has a policy about posting links to other sites with forums, they deem it competition. They are pretty stricted about AV123 actually more so then any other site (Well Ebay is the other).

Hello,
While I certainly agree that there are instances of bias and vested interest in Audio Magazines, the ones which actually provide measurements provide an essential service when considering a certain product. Unfortunately, most magazines do not provide a set of measurements to back up what are otherwise, subjective reviews.

I have kept my subscription to Stereophile since I was 16 because they provide measurements for most of their reviews. While I certainly respect and enjoy some publications which do not provide testing, I value greatly having both a reviewers experience in addition to objective measurements.

Otherwise, forums are an important place to read about real world performance and reliability of components. Unfortunately, when critiquing certain manufacturers wares, a cascade of groupthink and attacks ensue invariably ending with a thread being censored or vanished.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #735 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 PM

1 question....it is safe to buy one MWF-15 now...does they fix the amplifier problem...I am checking to buy one and I am from Canada so I would not have problem....thanks

Support your local rockers A.KA. THE SONS OF DISGRACE http://sonsofdisgrace.com/
post #736 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 PM

Since they just raised the price, I would personally hold off a bit more to make sure the amps truly are reliable before you have it shipped to Canada. If you need it immediately then that is a gamble I wouldn't feel comfortable with, but there are people who will disagree. Either way, since the price isn't going up anytime soon, I would wait it out another month and just see. Good luck with whatever you decide.
post #737 of 2801 Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Liked: 11
I have kind of a dumb "Off the subject" question. Why do the MFW-15's run hot even when they are in standby. I know Mark mentioned something about them being setup for running full bore even in standby mode, but what does that mean. Is there no switch that can power down the amp in standby mode?

Does the amp running "full bore" all the time, staying hot decrease the life of the amp (theoretically speaking)?

Also, are there any other subs that you guys know of that have this same characteristic?
post #738 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 AM

Update...received email with tracking info...the amp should be delivered on the 9th...not 2 day air. I did call yesterday and email AV123 about returning the unit, but they said my 30 day period expired. I was actually rushed off the phone by Kyle, I don't think he liked that I was angry that the unit was shipped with the defective amp?? BTW - It probably has been +-35 days that I own this thing....5 days over the 30 allowed. In my opinion, they sent me defective merchandise, further they sold me this unit knowing it would probably fail as it had the old amp, they should have allowed full return without any cost to me. I'm still deciding whether to follow up with a complaint.

It is a little problematic that they expect the customer to install replacement parts... bizarre.

Oh yeah, if you have a hum from the sub...you can open up the unit and re-route the wires...check out the AV123 website for further details. Wow. They should send repair tools and duct tape with these sub's!

I guess its clear I'm pretty upset about the experience with this sub. I'm simply stating the facts and not looking to slam anyone.
post #739 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To be fair, 30 days is 30 days for a lot of companies. Some extend a slight courtesy but it's more the exception than the rule. As to having to install it yourself, that's true of most ID companies unless you want to absorb the costs of s/h back. It's even true of some brick & mortar companies too. I don't think you'll find it difficult but you should excercise care because you can damage the surrounding veneer. Unfortunately, the warranty information on their page does not give a whole lot of information and that generally gives great discretion and latitude to the company and not you.

post #740 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

I have kind of a dumb "Off the subject" question. Why do the MFW-15's run hot even when they are in standby. I know Mark mentioned something about them being setup for running full bore even in standby mode, but what does that mean. Is there no switch that can power down the amp in standby mode?

Does the amp running "full bore" all the time, staying hot decrease the life of the amp (theoretically speaking)?

Also, are there any other subs that you guys know of that have this same characteristic?

IF the amp doesnt have a stanby mode, its ON and any amp that is ON is going to be hot. Even amps in stand by mode are warm to hot sometimes depending on the product.

post #741 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2l8t4hlp View Post

Update...received email with tracking info...the amp should be delivered on the 9th...not 2 day air. I did call yesterday and email AV123 about returning the unit, but they said my 30 day period expired. I was actually rushed off the phone by Kyle, I don't think he liked that I was angry that the unit was shipped with the defective amp?? BTW - It probably has been +-35 days that I own this thing....5 days over the 30 allowed. In my opinion, they sent me defective merchandise, further they sold me this unit knowing it would probably fail as it had the old amp, they should have allowed full return without any cost to me. I'm still deciding whether to follow up with a complaint.

It is a little problematic that they expect the customer to install replacement parts... bizarre.

Oh yeah, if you have a hum from the sub...you can open up the unit and re-route the wires...check out the AV123 website for further details. Wow. They should send repair tools and duct tape with these sub's!

I guess its clear I'm pretty upset about the experience with this sub. I'm simply stating the facts and not looking to slam anyone.

Sorry they didn't expedite your shipping. I spoke to Mark originally and I had mentioned that I wanted the replacement in my hands by friday if possible, and he said he would upgrade shipping. I wish they had done the same for you.

One thing ill say though is that i have heard from others and Mark himself that the new amps sound even better and is a better overall product. And you also have one year extra warranty now, total of 4 years. At this point, I guess I'd recommend giving this sub another shot once the new amp is installed?

A little bit of reassurance like this would have probably helped when you called, instead of being rushed off. And the whole thing IS frustrating, no doubt.
post #742 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:

To be fair, 30 days is 30 days for a lot of companies. Some extend a slight courtesy but it's more the exception than the rule. As to having to install it yourself, that's true of most ID companies unless you want to absorb the costs of s/h back. It's even true of some brick & mortar companies too. I don't think you'll find it difficult but you should excercise care because you can damage the surrounding veneer. Unfortunately, the warranty information on their page does not give a whole lot of information and that generally gives great discretion and latitude to the company and not you.

You're missing my point....I think they were fully aware that the product had a serious chance to fail and they should not hold to the 30 days. BTW, its also common for companies not to sell defective merchandise. LOL
post #743 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyshiat View Post

Sorry they didn't expedite your shipping. I spoke to Mark originally and I had mentioned that I wanted the replacement in my hands by friday if possible, and he said he would upgrade shipping. I wish they had done the same for you.

One thing ill say though is that i have heard from others and Mark himself that the new amps sound even better and is a better overall product. And you also have one year extra warranty now, total of 4 years. At this point, I guess I'd recommend giving this sub another shot once the new amp is installed?

A little bit of reassurance like this would have probably helped when you called, instead of being rushed off. And the whole thing IS frustrating, no doubt.

I have said before...when it works it is a great sub. I'm just not convinced the "new" amp will work given the track record of multiple production run failures.

Good luck with your new amp!!
post #744 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're missing my point....I think they were fully aware that the product had a serious chance to fail and they should not hold to the 30 days. BTW, its also common for companies not to sell defective merchandise. LOL

Well, that's where the discretion part comes in with respect to 30 days. Now if your dead amp is one of the old ones prior to the new board - you'll find that out once you remove it and examine it by comparing to published pictures - that may've been an honest mistake by the company. Since there's no little sticker that says assembled by KS, MS, LS, or whatever, for all I know it was some HS kid they hired for a few hours to stick those into the boxes. If these are being assembled by existing personnel, then they are well aware of what the new and old boards look like. In that case they're either stupid or it was willfull. There's no way to know and unfortunately you'll have to take Schifter's word on matters.

As to selling defective merchandise, you've got to consider that in your life you've probably bought something that died quickly. Or was received DOA. Stuff like this happens. Now, let's all hope your replacement arrives and you've got a tracking number so you can follow it as it makes its ways into your eager hands.

post #745 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello...

I'm sorry I have not had the chance to be here much at all over the last 4 or so days... I had a dear friend come to CO - and my time was not really my own after that...

We were running a few days late from what I was told - but amps are moving out nicely again... The short delay was not an expected one - but these days extra care is being taken...

Please do let me know if I can help... I've just dropped my friend off - so I'm home for a while now... Ext 308...

Many thanks...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #746 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although I have not been at av all that much this week - Kyle did send me a note about this...

I would be pleased to discuss this with you - and I'm truly sorry I was not there to help...

I know this will sound "wrong" - but the new amps are working quite well - and I'm not upset with the current rate of defect... This is will within what's acceptable for this product genre ( 2 to 3%) and I'm comfortable...

I do wish to also apologize for a moment for the delay in the shipment... We DID run tardy by a few days... We need to be "better than better" right now, and I recognize this...

Wish I could have been around more this week for many reasons -

If you would like to discuss this - I'm in my home office for a few hours until I pick my friend up... Ext 308 after dialing in...

Happy Holiday All

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #747 of 2801 Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggledave View Post

1 question....it is safe to buy one MWF-15 now...does they fix the amplifier problem...I am checking to buy one and I am from Canada so I would not have problem....thanks

dave. i believe it was me you emailed off of canuck audio mart...sorry i didn't get back to you today..but i emailed you just now. we'll talk soon
post #748 of 2801 Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
i'm just curious...but....

can anyone (Maybe SEATON himself) suggest a beefier 15" driver i could try in the MFW15 box with the amp? is there a cast driver with better excursion (all around better driver) that would work in this box???? i'm just curious (since av123 didnt' offer an upgraded driver...as MLS and i have discussed several times...sure wish they did)

also, does anyone know the internal volume for this sub box?

my thinking is, the mfw is awesome, but....if i put a bigger beefier driver in with better excursion couldn't it be that much better than with the original (and IMHO) um... "inexpensive" driver that currently comes with it?

maybe a driver like one of these might work better than what comes with the mfw15 already?

or this one?
post #749 of 2801 Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

i'm just curious...but....

can anyone (Maybe SEATON himself) suggest a beefier 15" driver i could try in the MFW15 box with the amp? is there a cast driver with better excursion (all around better driver) that would work in this box???? i'm just curious (since av123 didnt' offer an upgraded driver...as MLS and i have discussed several times...sure wish they did)

also, does anyone know the internal volume for this sub box?

my thinking is, the mfw is awesome, but....if i put a bigger beefier driver in with better excursion couldn't it be that much better than with the original (and IMHO) um... "inexpensive" driver that currently comes with it?

maybe a driver like one of these might work better than what comes with the mfw15 already?

I would love to know this too!!!

He who dies with the most toys wins.
Just make sure your toys are over 18.

System 1: Harman Kardon AVR-745, AV123 X-Statik, X-Voce, X-LS, MFW-15
post #750 of 2801 Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

I have a feeling that the MFW as a whole was designed around the light weight cone of the current driver - I don't think an aftermarket driver replacement will do much for us.

Of course, I hope i'm wrong.

Verum postulo res.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page