MFW-15 w/ new July 2009 amps <absolutely NO AV123 or MLS bashing/negativity!!> - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Sounds like the ground from your satellite dish doesn't tie in to the grounding rod outside your home. Hence, ground loops. If you can't get them to do it right, you need a ground loop isolator that's suitable for satellite. For example this product on ebay is capable of passing signals from 5-2400 MHz. However there's no returns on this one. I'd check with DirectTV to see what frequencies they're running.
So anyways, you see what they look like and you can scout around the web (Ram Electronics, Parts Express, Calrad, etc.) to see if anyone is carrying something similar with a better return policy. Your local Radio Shack may even have something and they're great on returns. Products from Jensen are also highly regarded but they're pricey.

I just went outside and traced the wires coming from the dish into the basement. There are about 5 coaxials coming in and one wire. I assume that wire is the grounding wire. I found the end of it, just hanging in the ceiling of my basement. This has to be the issue, no? The guy who installed our Directv was incompetent. I wouldn't be surprised.

BTW, besides the humming, the sub is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 06:38 PM

As far as the heat issue goes - it's not about what you consider to be too hot -it's about the normal operating temperature range of the components. I don't know what they are, but it sounds like none of you do either.

As a longtime PC builder and overclocker, I can tell you for sure that hot heatsinks are a good thing. Mine certainly gets warm, but so does my Denon, my D*TV HR-20, and quite frankly my router runs hotter than the MFW-15.

You guys are welcome to throw fans on them, but it seems like overkill to me.
post #93 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM

This is not a rant just stating that i received my two new amps for my subs today. One turned on for about 4 secs when i plugged it in but never played. Then it blew a fuse. I tried replacing the fuse and it did the same thing. The other amp comes on but doesn't play anything through the sub. I took another amp i have and plugged it in to make sure it wasn't the speaker and it worked fine. I find it hard to believe i received 2 faulty new amps, but it seems that might be the case. Ill be giving av123 a call in the morning and im sure they will take care of everything. It appears im the only one with a bad new amp. Ive tried to think of anything i could be doing wrong, but its a pretty simple process just plug and play.
post #94 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungOne View Post

This is not a rant just stating that i received my two new amps for my subs today. One turned on for about 4 secs when i plugged it in but never played. Then it blew a fuse. I tried replacing the fuse and it did the same thing. The other amp comes on but doesn't play anything through the sub. I took another amp i have and plugged it in to make sure it wasn't the speaker and it worked fine. I find it hard to believe i received 2 faulty new amps, but it seems that might be the case. Ill be giving av123 a call in the morning and im sure they will take care of everything. It appears im the only one with a bad new amp. Ive tried to think of anything i could be doing wrong, but its a pretty simple process just plug and play.

Hmm, amps running hot, subs humming, amps blowing fuses....sounds like deja vu all over again!
post #95 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Hmm, amps running hot, subs humming, amps blowing fuses....sounds like deja vu all over again!

Don't jump to conclusions. The first two are non issues.
post #96 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post

Don't jump to conclusions. The first two are non issues.

I'm just saying.... we've heard all this before, remember?
post #97 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 07:27 PM

lets wait until we hear more reviews from forum members. Anyone else have a "new" amp installed? Any issues yet? (*crosses fingers*)
post #98 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:

I just went outside and traced the wires coming from the dish into the basement. There are about 5 coaxials coming in and one wire. I assume that wire is the grounding wire. I found the end of it, just hanging in the ceiling of my basement. This has to be the issue, no? The guy who installed our Directv was incompetent. I wouldn't be surprised.

After a 10pm Walgreens run, I plugged the sub directly into the wall with a cheater plug -- and it is silent. Crazy. Anyway, I bought two. I have a replacement amp arriving Friday. I hope I don't need it.
post #99 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM

lets keep this rant free in here as much as possible. I would like to hear what other people with amps have to say
post #100 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne View Post

As far as the heat issue goes - it's not about what you consider to be too hot -it's about the normal operating temperature range of the components. I don't know what they are, but it sounds like none of you do either.

I know this, when I touch it, if it's an uncomfortable warmth, it's too hot, I don't care if it was designed to be "ok" with running that warm or not. The cooler you run it, the longer it will last, period.

Quote:

As a longtime PC builder and overclocker, I can tell you for sure that hot heatsinks are a good thing. Mine certainly gets warm, but so does my Denon, my D*TV HR-20, and quite frankly my router runs hotter than the MFW-15.

You guys are welcome to throw fans on them, but it seems like overkill to me.

As a PC builder since 1978, modder, you name it, I've built a lot of systems, servers, networks what have you and this is the very first time I have heard that hot heat sinks are a good thing. A heak sink is deisgned to pull heat from a device, not keep it there. A hot heat sink on a CPU is most cetainly not a good thing and inhibits overclocking. My system runs dual Quad cores and the heat sink is barely warm to the touch, the chipset heatsink is barely warm to the touch (well designed cooling at work), much better than running hot to the touch any day.

A hot router can be bad, a hot AVR can be bad (mine runs cool, again, effective cooling at work) but whats hot, 100f or 140f or 160f, for me I prefer to run my equipment as cool as possible, my computers I choose to run as cold as possible and have designed some interesting ways of doing it.

So, you continue to run that equipment hot/real warm what have you, my stuff will be running 20 years from now, depending on how warm/hot whatever you let your equipment run, won't.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #101 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After a 10pm Walgreens run, I plugged the sub directly into the wall with a cheater plug -- and it is silent. Crazy. Anyway, I bought two. I have a replacement amp arriving Friday. I hope I don't need it.

Did you lso find the place to put the ground? If its just hanging down there it would be a good idea to get it to the ground rod if possible.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #102 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

Did you lso find the place to put the ground? If its just hanging down there it would be a good idea to get it to the ground rod if possible.

Kinda, I tied it to a grounded location in the basement. I called Directv and they are sending the installer back out to fix this and the hole he happened to drill through a wall during installation.
post #103 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kinda, I tied it to a grounded location in the basement. I called Directv and they are sending the installer back out to fix this and the hole he happened to drill through a wall during installation.

As long as that ground location isn't a water pipe that some installer used before. That's where Comcast tried to ground mine when they installed my cable.

Enjoy the bass!

post #104 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, you continue to run that equipment hot/real warm what have you, my stuff will be running 20 years from now, depending on how warm/hot whatever you let your equipment run, won't.

I agree with you of course, that a cooler running device will run longer, with all thing being equal.

I do find it kind of funny that you use 20 years as a basis for comparison of how long your electronic equipment will be running. You must have a house full of old useless **** LOL.

Obviously off topic but I'd love to be able to buy a cheap 12" fan that I could just plug in to have cooling my router since it is on 24/7. My last router ran hot and I broke it when I tried to open it to install some heatsinks. I just don't know how to wire up a fan. Got any step by step instructions?
post #105 of 2801 Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesojdm View Post

lets wait until we hear more reviews from forum members. Anyone else have a "new" amp installed? Any issues yet? (*crosses fingers*)

I received two replacement amps on July 6th, both are still kicking some serious donkey butt.

The following is for the JERKS:

Quote:

Thread: MFW-15 w/ new July 2009 amps

I'm sure AV123 will take care of any problems with defective replacement's, and meanwhile, the whiners will also be extremely fast to get some attention + post counts, by constantly acting like jerks with their bashing and trashing vendetta against AV123.

Read the title of this thread, then go ask your Mommy what it means, because you obviously don't know, then go away.

HH
post #106 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:

Quite possibly. You may want to call DirectTV service and bring this to their attention. They should remedy it at no charge. OTOH, you can do it yourself as per their instructions.

Quote:

I've used cheater plugs before but as a temporary fix. After all, they're cheap. Proper grounding is there for a reason like addressing issues of human safety. Do the right thing.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #107 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OT....but if I were ever going to rant about a company's ineptness and total lack of customer service, it would be DirecTV. Tried them....twice! Never again! I'd rather stick rabbit ears on my TV and get nothing but "fuzz" than to have them.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #108 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 05:24 AM

Someone earlier in the thread asked whether anyone had received shipping information for a new sub. I DID, just yesterday. My sub should arrive in the middle of next week. This will be my first MFW-15 and will replace an Adire Rava that now sits between a Rocket RS850 and an RSC200. Very exciting! Now I have to think about who will help me get the thing into my basement!!!!

MarkG
post #109 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:

I know this, when I touch it, if it's an uncomfortable warmth, it's too hot, I don't care if it was designed to be "ok" with running that warm or not. The cooler you run it, the longer it will last, period.

A study on 100,000 hard drives disagrees with you.

My quad core Q6600 overclocked to 3.6Ghz makes my Thermaltake Ultra-120 heatsink warm - and rightly so, as that is the device tasked with wicking the heat away from the chip. Warm air flows away from it out the top of my case. A cold heatsink is a sign of a bad mount.
post #110 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please do post the follow up that your received from AV123. Also, if you get a chance, can you post the serial numbers for those 2 amps before you send them back (it would be nice to trend it). I look forward to you enjoying your MFWs like most people here have posted.
post #111 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine View Post

Oh and I heard from Kyle that he was hoping to start sending out ship alerts by the 17th for new MFW's orders. With an original ETA of June 30th I consider by the end of July a success for AV123.

I'm sure that's the way they look at it too. It's amazing what people consider successful anymore.
post #112 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

I agree with you of course, that a cooler running device will run longer, with all thing being equal.

I do find it kind of funny that you use 20 years as a basis for comparison of how long your electronic equipment will be running. You must have a house full of old useless **** LOL.

Yeah, I re-read the number and it sounds a bit crazy but the number is correct, I have a basement full of stuff that still works which drives my wife nuts.

I do have the perfect example of devices that are designed to run much warmer than similar devices. Apple TV, any iMac, Apple knows people won't have them for too many years so it's ok to run warmer than other devices and have a shorter life span. Many people will just say hey, they designed it this way, must be fine. The most unstable computer product I have ever owned is the Apple TV. I cracked it open, modified the lower chassis to breath better and stability issues went away.

Quote:
Obviously off topic but I'd love to be able to buy a cheap 12" fan that I could just plug in to have cooling my router since it is on 24/7. My last router ran hot and I broke it when I tried to open it to install some heatsinks. I just don't know how to wire up a fan. Got any step by step instructions?

Menards and Home Depot has the 5 inch fans that run very quiet and push a decent amount of air. You'll be shocked at how much it can help.

post #113 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
The following is for the JERKS:

I'm sure AV123 will take care of any problems with defective replacement's, and meanwhile, the whiners will also be extremely fast to get some attention + post counts, by constantly acting like jerks with their bashing and trashing vendetta against AV123.

Read the title of this thread, then go ask your Mommy what it means, because you obviously don't know, then go away.

HH

Yes, no negativity...

Especially all you victims, otherwise known as jerks with vendettas.
post #114 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hooray for Google, I keep my servers running 24x7 running high IO 24x7 for YEARS, not 9 months but it was an interesting read, even the first time I read it a few years ago.

My oldest server is now going on 12 years old and still pulling FTP duties with 3 of the 5 drives still original until this year when I upgraded the drive cage for newer drives. So, I don't care if a million of them lived in lava and were ok. I prefer to house them in a properly vented chassis but hey, that's maybe just me and every other network/server guy (the good ones at least) who doesn't like replacing popped drives. You properly cool your CPU but not the hard drives? If you do choose to try and keep them as cool as possible why bother when a study shows there isn't a need? <- sarcasm intended.

Anybody remember the Seagate Big Foot fiasco?

Quote:
My quad core Q6600 overclocked to 3.6Ghz makes my Thermaltake Ultra-120 heatsink warm - and rightly so, as that is the device tasked with wicking the heat away from the chip. Warm air flows away from it out the top of my case. A cold heatsink is a sign of a bad mount.

Well then we suddenly agree don't we, heat sinks are designed to absorb heat from a device, not hold it there so a hot heat sink is not a good thing, unless you don't care that it's hot of course. It's a sign of improper cooling and again, what I consider too hot might be perfectly acceptable to others so each person will decide that for themselves.

Back to the thread, sorry to the OP for the OT.

EDIT: Regarding my second amp, I'm holding off on installing that one until next week, but I'll document it and post pics when it's done, unless someone else does it first.

post #115 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:

Not really, the study clearly shows that old HD that are hot fail sooner. Look at Figure 5. If a drive made it to the 3 or 4 year mark the hotter drives have higher failure rates.
post #116 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post

Anyone get a tracking number for a new sub order?

Yes! I just did! Yay!

Well, it's a 127 pound shipment of "electronics" from "PERPETUAL TECHNOLOGIES LLC". I assume that means it's my sub.

Wow. I haven't gotten fully caught up with this thread since yesterday. Did it go to heck overnight? Pity.

[Edit] Nope, the thread is still fine. Whew. I was afraid that a flame war had broken out.

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the rosewoodiness when it gets here. I have Rockets in that finish, and I agree that it's pretty gorgeous.
post #117 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:

YoungOne,

Give me a call I would be more than happy to help! 877-543-7500 ext. 304. For the one that the fuses blew I will probably need to replace but the other one may be an easy fix. I just got an email from MLS about this today if any of you have either no sound or a weird noise coming from the sub please call me and I would be more than happy to walk you through the fix. Here is the email from MLS:

Hey Kyle

I heard from a few folks today that their new amps did not work right. I was concerned, so I went over to manufacturing and had a look Here's what I saw - and then later confirmed

The Controller Board (Volume, Phase and Frequency) has a keyed Molex connector. The new amps are built and tested on our Golden Sample rig - and as these are all new they have the key in a direction that is consistent with our test rig

Many of our Warranty Folk have older amps (for lack of a better way of saying it) so THEIR cable harness is actually 180 degrees flipped. We did not catch this in production - or QA, as our Golden Sample rig has the new cabling (harness) and Controller Board so they all passed with flying colours

The result will be that for some of these folks with older units that are now getting the new amp, their Controller Board Molex Connector is (in fact) flipped 180 Simply pop the cable - flip the white key and re-plug the cable back in BINGO works fine

Our last test here at av123 did not reveal this as I'm also using the newer Cable (harness) and Controller Board - so of course they passed perfectly here as well

As we started to build fresh inventory with Cables and Drivers already loaded from before we noticed this problem (Actually, Lynn noticed this and called me take a look) I finally saw that key on the Controller Board was flipped the other way Pulled the key flipped it over and Bingo - everything worked

China essentially supplied two different Cable (harnesses) and Controllers I was surprised - but there was no way we could have caught this any earlier - or any better as these went out the door working just fine - passing TWO QA tests

Please make sure that we let the folks know Most will be fine but a few might need to flip that key.

Thanks

mls

Mark L. Schifter

(303) 543-7500 x 301 tel

(720) 494-1751 fax

mls@av123
www.av123
post #118 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you look at the study...the really high temps they say it takes to affect a drive....are probably exceeded by your average dell locked in a desk with the door closed..

I have been running raptors in RAID for years now. without a single drive or volume failure.....they do have fans right on their noses ...yessir...

Cool, never hurts electronics. Yes some components can stand the heat better then other...but all things the same I feel safer with my drives at 30c then 50 or 60c..

My new amp is running cooler, but then again running as a pair now...it can loaf..

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #119 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNagy View Post

Yes! I just did! Yay!

Well, it's a 127 pound shipment of "electronics" from "PERPETUAL TECHNOLOGIES LLC". I assume that means it's my sub.

Wow. I haven't gotten fully caught up with this thread since yesterday. Did it go to heck overnight? Pity.

[Edit] Nope, the thread is still fine. Whew. I was afraid that a flame war had broken out.

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the rosewoodiness when it gets here. I have Rockets in that finish, and I agree that it's pretty gorgeous.

Great news! Do post some pics. I'm still waiting on my tracking info for my SB ...hopefully by the end of the week.

- Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #120 of 2801 Old 07-16-2009, 03:42 PM

Kyle ftw!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page