MFW-15 w/ new July 2009 amps <absolutely NO AV123 or MLS bashing/negativity!!> - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2801 Old 07-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

I just received a new satin black today. I assume using the "LFE" input acts as the "Bypass/Out" switch found on most subs that allows the AVR to handle the bass management?

Yes
Quote:

While using the L/R RCA Input allows the MFW itself to handle the crossover?

I think so
Quote:

Also, anyone know what the 115v/220v switch over the power input does?

If you live in the U.S., 115. If you live in Europe, 220
Quote:

I'd say embarrassing is a bit of an understatement for the lack of a manual, how long has this model been out exactly?

I believe that we are among the first who are receiving this new version.

You should download the manual that I previously mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2801 Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I just received a new satin black today. I assume using the "LFE" input acts as the "Bypass/Out" switch found on most subs that allows the AVR to handle the bass management? While using the L/R RCA Input allows the MFW itself to handle the crossover? Also, anyone know what the 115v/220v switch over the power input does? I'd say embarrassing is a bit of an understatement for the lack of a manual, how long has this model been out exactly?

The 115/220v switch should be set to match the voltage of your outlet. In North America that would be 115, in most of the rest of the planet, 220.

The LFE input is the one you should use if your receiver does the crossover. If not, you would use the L&R, but beware that the built in crossover performs a low pass for the sub, but the mains will still get a full signal.
post #183 of 2801 Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM

mfine, I'm so happy the new user asked these questions and you answered them. I am venturing into tube amps and I was wondering how to setup a 2.2 with an SP3. I was going to run the SP3>sub>speakers using the speaker ins and outs. Do you think I will botch the bass now that I will be getting 2x the bass freqencies between 35-80Hz? Sorry for the thread jack but I have three MWF's shiping tomorrow!
post #184 of 2801 Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 PM

According to Mark L. Schifter, if you have a sub-out on your receiver/preamp:

Quote:

Please plug into the Black Input labeled LFE… This allows you to use your Receiver with the sub – and the Receiver will control everything…

Please set the gain to 10 o’clock – maybe 11… this is a good place to start… Phase at zero – and frequency is N/A as you are using LFE…

post #185 of 2801 Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 PM

The MFW-15 has never had a manual, and although that is quite ridiculous (and embarrassing to say the least), it's really not such a big deal. There are literally dozens of subs from different manufacturers with essentially the same inputs, outputs, and knobs as exist on the MFW. The setup process for all of these subs is essentially the same. Read a few manuals from other companies (or the UFW-10 manual, as suggested) and you'll know all you need to know about your MFW. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be REALLY easy for someone to just take this existing manual and turn it into an MFW manual? Actually, upon checking, I realized that the UFW is more complex than the MFW, what with EQ and all... There's really no excuse for the lack of a manual, if not just to shut us all up.

Feet? That's another long unresolved issue. Early models apparently shipped with spikes. Then some models shipped with threaded inserts, but no feet. Instead, hard rubber discs were included with wood screws that were to be screwed in through the machine screw-threaded inserts. Then, some rosewood models were shipped with what appeared to be 1" (or so) probably plastic feet. Then other models were shipped with no feet, no threaded inserts, but with stick-on "tabs" as described by some. Then, they just came with nothing at all, although I think that I noticed some small "pinholes" (probably starter or locater holes) for possible drilling for feet that they've apparently decided to forego.

All of this was covered in the threads that have been temoraraly removed... and can probably also be found on the company's (currently unopened) forums.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~ B. B.
post #186 of 2801 Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post

The MFW-15 has never had a manual, and although that is quite ridiculous (and embarrassing to say the least), it's really not such a big deal. There are literally dozens of subs from different manufacturers with essentially the same inputs, outputs, and knobs as exist on the MFW. The setup process for all of these subs is essentially the same. Read a few manuals from other companies (or the UFW-10 manual, as suggested) and you'll know all you need to know about your MFW. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be REALLY easy for someone to just take this existing manual and turn it into an MFW manual? Actually, upon checking, I realized that the UFW is more complex than the MFW, what with EQ and all... There's really no excuse for the lack of a manual, if not just to shut us all up.

Thanks for the clarification guys. This is really what's so puzzling about it. It seems like something one of the guys could knock out in like an hour or two just modifying one of the other manuals. I imagine this would be a much bigger deal for someone buying an MFW as their first legit sub, which I'm sure happens.
post #187 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine View Post

mfine, I'm so happy the new user asked these questions and you answered them. I am venturing into tube amps and I was wondering how to setup a 2.2 with an SP3. I was going to run the SP3>sub>speakers using the speaker ins and outs. Do you think I will botch the bass now that I will be getting 2x the bass freqencies between 35-80Hz? Sorry for the thread jack but I have three MWF's shiping tomorrow!

holy crap! you got 3 full replacements? did you have to send the old ones back or did you sell them? man, i'm really curious let me know ok? thanks
post #188 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 AM

LOL no,no,no Jinx. I got two replacement amps and three more subs. One diamond Black for myself, one for my buddy and another cherry moho for another friend. I'm now in the tripps club like yourself. I weighed the pros and cons of selling off my dual PRD's and going with a Submersive but I ended up just grabbing another MFW for behind the couch. My stuff shipped yesterday so the ETA was only off by a little bit. Let's hope the 8033 can match my tripps up now nicely!
post #189 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM

I would like a power longer cord than the one provided to me by AV123. Would this work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #190 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine View Post

LOL no,no,no Jinx. I got two replacement amps and three more subs. One diamond Black for myself, one for my buddy and another cherry moho for another friend. I'm now in the tripps club like yourself. I weighed the pros and cons of selling off my dual PRD's and going with a Submersive but I ended up just grabbing another MFW for behind the couch. My stuff shipped yesterday so the ETA was only off by a little bit. Let's hope the 8033 can match my tripps up now nicely!

You go boy! I'm going to experiement by moving one of my MFW's to the rear wall. I'm going to start a thread on this to see if I'm crazy with my placement ideas. Congrats on the woofage!

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #191 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Should work fine.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #192 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post

I would like a power longer cord than the one provided to me by AV123. Would this work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

No problem. I use the 25'ers for my powered DJ speakers. Of course, an extension would probably work just fine too.
post #193 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM

Thanks. I was 99% certain it was ok. Wanted to doublecheck.

Speaking a little bit about the ground loop issue. In my previous house, I had no ground loop problem. In my new house, I do have one. DirecTV was installed when I moved in, and I not only watched, but I helped the installer run the wires, ground it, etc. So it doesn't appear to be from DirecTV. However, it quite possibly be from the Cox cable (internet) installation that happened two days later. I don't remember a ground. (Don't feel like grounding it as the home theatre build will start next year anyway) I moved my sub to the corner about 10 feet away and along a different wall than the RG6 and I no longer have the ground loop issue. Also note that those 6 prong adapters into each outlet do not create an effective ground, I had to remove that as well. (not a surge protector with a 6' cord, the type that covers both outlets and has 2 rows of 3 outlets)

Has anyone seen any correlation between using copper vs. aluminum wiring and the ground loop issue? Just curious.
post #194 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM

My neighbor had his rosewood sub arrive last week after about 9 months of waiting. Wow is it good looking...

The sub sounds great although we were able to find it's limits on Hellboy II. It was an extremely low tone played at high volume. We had to turn it down a bit. Overall though, quite impressive. Amp runs slightly warm, not hot. No hum or buzz or anything odd or irregular.

The only issue was that it arrived damaged and it was clearly packed that way as no damage occurred to the box, inner box or packing foam. A call to AVS fixed the problem. We sent pics, they agreed and are sending a new one immediately at their cost. They also offerred to knock money off the unit if we kept it. My buddy has a rediculous theater and therefore needs it to look perfect.

Anyhow, we were pleased overall with the service (barring the long wait) and the sound and impact of the sub.

Cheers.
post #195 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer1021 View Post

My neighbor had his rosewood sub arrive last week after about 9 months of waiting. Wow is it good looking...

The sub sounds great although we were able to find it's limits on Hellboy II. It was an extremely low tone played at high volume. We had to turn it down a bit. Overall though, quite impressive. Amp runs slightly warm, not hot. No hum or buzz or anything odd or irregular.

Do you remember where on Hellboy II this happened? Maybe because I have two I didn't have this issue but I'd like to try it with one and see.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #196 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 View Post

Do you remember where on Hellboy II this happened? Maybe because I have two I didn't have this issue but I'd like to try it with one and see.

I do - sort of!

Towards the begining of the film as the director of the facility is walking down the hall bitching about how difficult it is to be the director. I cannot remember who he was walking with...

Anyhow it is a funny scene because in the background he is walking past rooms that have crazy creatures and things going on - all of which he is ignoring becasue he is ranting about his awful job...

As they approach Hellboy's place (I think he is in an arguement with the girl), there is a very distance rumble that approaches them. As the rumble grows, the sub bottomed out. This was the ONLY portion of the movie that bottomed. To be fair, I adjusted the sub from that point on so that we didn't bottom it again, but I did not hear any frequencies that were as distressing for the rest of the movie.

I am curious if:
A) you can discover that portion of the film based on my horrid description and
B) If you have a similar issue...
post #197 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do - sort of!

Towards the begining of the film as the director of the facility is walking down the hall bitching about how difficult it is to be the director. I cannot remember who he was walking with...

Anyhow it is a funny scene because in the background he is walking past rooms that have crazy creatures and things going on - all of which he is ignoring becasue he is ranting about his awful job...

As they approach Hellboy's place (I think he is in an arguement with the girl), there is a very distance rumble that approaches them. As the rumble grows, the sub bottomed out. This was the ONLY portion of the movie that bottomed. To be fair, I adjusted the sub from that point on so that we didn't bottom it again, but I did not hear any frequencies that were as distressing for the rest of the movie.

I am curious if:
A) you can discover that portion of the film based on my horrid description and
B) If you have a similar issue...

I'm cranking up the movie now as I type this, will post back after.

post #198 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

It starts at about 13 minutes in and it's called "Top Secret", I listened until 18 minutes and while the big safe door blowing off was good I ran into nothing that caused any strain on the sub. Obviously using 2 increased the intensity.

My settings are at -4 on the AVR with the sub running 2db hot over the mains which are set to 75db, the gain is set to 11:00 oclock on the sub.

Sounded very good, no strain at all, and -4 on my AVR is LOUD! In fact as movies go U-571, WOTW and many others put Hell Boy II to shame in my humble opinion (LFE wise).

How do you have your system set? Try WOTW and U-571 and see how it does with them. I'd be interested in hearing how things are set up though.

post #199 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:

It starts at about 13 minutes in and it's called "Top Secret", I listened until 18 minutes and while the big safe door blowing off was good I ran into nothing that caused any strain on the sub. Obviously using 2 increased the intensity.

My settings are at -4 on the AVR with the sub running 2db hot over the mains which are set to 75db, the gain is set to 11:00 oclock on the sub.

Sounded very good, no strain at all, and -4 on my AVR is LOUD! In fact as movies go U-571, WOTW and many others put Hell Boy II to shame in my humble opinion (LFE wise).

How do you have your system set? Try WOTW and U-571 and see how it does with them. I'd be interested in hearing how things are set up though.

Interesting. The system is now gone as the new sub is on the way. I will report back with settings when the new sub arrives. I am looking forward to WOTW and U-571. I wonder if having two allows you to keep things lower relative to the sound output. Maybe we ( my neighbor and I) are more bassheaded than we thought!
post #200 of 2801 Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. The system is now gone as the new sub is on the way. I will report back with settings when the new sub arrives. I am looking forward to WOTW and U-571. I wonder if having two allows you to keep things lower relative to the sound output. Maybe we ( my neighbor and I) are more bassheaded than we thought!

Let me know how you have it dialed in and what your system specs are. This is the perfect place to diagnose whatever is happening.

2 helps to even out the nulls and increases the impact big time but I did not turn either sub down gain wise, two means they are set lower in the AVR which helps even it up but I did everything manually, distance and everything.

When I get the system near complete I may contact Mark Seaton and pay to have him tweak the system for my room. If you're going to do it, do it right and he does it right.

post #201 of 2801 Old 07-25-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In fact as movies go U-571, WOTW and many others put Hell Boy II to shame in my humble opinion (LFE wise).

Quote:

Maybe we ( my neighbor and I) are more bassheaded than we thought!

FYI,Great source for ((((BASS)))) heavy movies HERE AT AVS.

HH
post #202 of 2801 Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Ordered a B-stock on May 28th in Satin Black, it arrived on Thursday. I am about to somehow move it into the house myself and unpack it.

The MFW-15 is replacing a Advent AV550s, which had some serious humming issues. Which now that I think about it and read this thread, might of conensided w/ a DTV install.

I do have the dish grounded with a 3' long rod.

Oh well good excuse to upgrade to a nicer sub.

Will update soon.
post #203 of 2801 Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 PM

I found that the sub output on my onkyo TX-SR602 is dead.

Sounds like I need a new receiver too.
post #204 of 2801 Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeth View Post

I found that the sub output on my onkyo TX-SR602 is dead.

Sounds like I need a new receiver too.

Are you sure you dont have the speakers settings to no-sub..?

Seize the Day..!
post #205 of 2801 Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder-rush View Post

Are you sure you dont have the speakers settings to no-sub..?

I wish it was that easy my friend.

All speakers set to small.

Sub setting to on.

Turned the AVR off and then back on and all settings stayed as I left them.
post #206 of 2801 Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM

Wow.. is all I can say. These things are monsters. My UPS man wasnt as happy as me to see them though First thing..double boxed, very nice. Second was the Styrofoam basically started falling apart as soon as I started taking the speakers out. Oh well.. I am going to salvage what packaging is left(as well as the boxes in case I decide to sell them later) Finish is superb. I can see the lines where the top and sides meet...but not really a big deal! Woofer looks pretty decent(nothing flashy here, just a basic looking driver) I did notice the suspension felt very weak?? By weak I mean when gently pressing on the cone to feel the travel, the cone would move very easily and "bounce" back and forth before coming to rest. I guess because this is a vented enclosure instead of sealed? The amplifier looks well built(from the outside) I was told these are the new amplifiers..but how can I tell? Switches/knobs all move freely and tight. They will be co-located about 60" apart and using LFE on both. FInally I did not see any feet? I have read some people received feet, some did not. Since the woofers will be going on tile...I am going to feel a little better if there was some isolation between the 2. Maybe I can use some universal "rubber" stick on feet from a local hardware store?
NEXT...hooking them up.. the REAL reward Damn house needs to close so I can get them moved in
btw...iphone pics dont shoot me

post #207 of 2801 Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Your amp appears to have the serial number printed on it, as far as I know that is something that started with the new amps. Beyond that the only way to visually verify would be to pop the amp out and look at the boards.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #208 of 2801 Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Stick on rubber feet should work fine...get the biggest ones you can find...one inch or so would be good..or group some smaller ones at each corner.....

Some heavy closed cell foam tape should do fine also...

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #209 of 2801 Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The non skid rubber mesh for carpets or whatever you don't want to move works as well, cut apx 1" smaller than the outside edges, double layer or fold in half, sits close to tile and you won't be able to see dust.

HH
post #210 of 2801 Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 PM

Received my satin black MFW-15 today, ordered it July 10th pretty good turnaround, it sound awesome.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page