Building my first HT sub enclosure. Need 12" suggestions. Under $200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I am looking to build my own sub enclosure. So I'm looking for suggestions for a good low end driver. The one I have now is a Polk psw10. It's descent but wayyyyyyy overpriced. (200) and I could build a much better enclosure and have a much better driver and amp as well.

So any good 12" drivers that could have some good low end extension. Say below 20 hz? I know alot is in the enclosure. But obviously need a sub with good low end extension as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post

Well I am looking to build my own sub enclosure. So I'm looking for suggestions for a good low end driver. The one I have now is a Polk psw10. It's descent but wayyyyyyy overpriced. (200) and I could build a much better enclosure and have a much better driver and amp as well.

So any good 12" drivers that could have some good low end extension. Say below 20 hz? I know alot is in the enclosure. But obviously need a sub with good low end extension as well

You will find your answer here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

Hint: when you start your thread over there you may want to include what type of alignment you're looking for: ported/sealed, what amp you're planning to use, and what kind of performance you're expecting to get out of it.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

You will find your answer here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

Hint: when you start your thread over there you may want to include what type of alignment you're looking for: ported/sealed, what amp you're planning to use, and what kind of performance you're expecting to get out of it.

well like I said. If possible. Getit under or capable of playing sub 20 hz. Ported or sealed I could care less. I'm open to all designs. In the car audio side of it I would like well powered sealed. But I like the boomy roll off of a ported for my movies. As for an amp. Also like car audio. I pick my sub. THEN look at amps that would match well. I'm assuming a descent 400-500 watt plate amp. Like I said tryin to keep it right around 350
post #4 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well like I said. If possible. Getit under or capable of playing sub 20 hz. Ported or sealed I could care less. I'm open to all designs. In the car audio side of it I would like well powered sealed. But I like the boomy roll off of a ported for my movies. As for an amp. Also like car audio. I pick my sub. THEN look at amps that would match well. I'm assuming a descent 400-500 watt plate amp. Like I said tryin to keep it right around 350

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You should start a thread in the DIY subwoofer area of AVS at the link I posted. You'll get tons more help

$350 total can be done but you won't be squeezing a 500W plate amp into that budget (just a 500W plate amp will cost you $250...). I have lots more input to give but don't want to type it up twice, start the thread over there and I'll add some more
post #5 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
You can get a Rythmik DS1200 for $210 or their GR Research driver for $150.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products2.html

Great blend of output, low frequency extension, and accuracy. The required cabinets aren't that large either.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You should start a thread in the DIY subwoofer area of AVS at the link I posted. You'll get tons more help

$350 total can be done but you won't be squeezing a 500W plate amp into that budget (just a 500W plate amp will cost you $250...). I have lots more input to give but don't want to type it up twice, start the thread over there and I'll add some more

Lol that's the first place I posted but have not got much. Titled something like building my first ht enclosure. Kinda the same info I have in here. Where in northern Minnesota u live?
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol that's the first place I posted but have not got much. Titled something like building my first ht enclosure. Kinda the same info I have in here. Where in northern Minnesota u live?

I'll have to find that thread... I'm in the Grand Rapids area, you don't happen to be in the area as well?? If so I may have something to help get you started
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Is there a reason you're only considering a 12"? Do you have size restrictions or something?

Dayton RSS390HO-4 15" $160

O Audio 500W Bash Amp $230

Yes, thats $40 more then requested, but worth it. Build a 5ft3 box (18"x18"x34", 3/4" material), with a pair of 4" x 31" ports (20hz tune). 111db at 20hz anechoic with 500W, and 0.2mm short of driver Xmax.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page