Subwoofer or receiver broke? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Subwoofer or receiver broke?
Masta's Avatar Masta 02:54 PM 08-11-2009
Hi all,

I recently discovered my subwoofer stopped working.
So now I wonder if it is my subwoofer or receiver that is broken...

I have an ancient Sony STR-DE505 Receiver (The first wave of Dolby Pro Logic receivers) with a set of 5 KEF HTS2001 Sattelites and the KEF PSW2000 subwoofer

The receiver is attached via the "Mix Audio Out" (which is meant for Active Woofers) with a single mono ?Tulip? high quality audio cable to the subwoofer via the "Line In Left" (I also tried right)

This setup used to work, but now it doesn't anymore...

On receivers end I tried switching the cable from "Mix Audio Out" to one of the two "Video Audio Out" and then playing some music on the video channel. The sub still didn't work...

I also tried attaching my headphone output from the laptop directly on the subwoofers "Line in Left" and "Line in Right", both didn't give any sound

I tried all possible settings on subwoofer (input level, phase, crossover frequency)
there is also a switch that enables or disables the subwoofer going to sleep after 45 mins of inactivity... also changing that switch did not help

So I wonder what else I can try...

Is my sub broke? or can it also be my ancient Sony Receiver (which I'm about to replace with a new Onkyo anyway pretty soon)

edit: the power light is also burning btw

ransac's Avatar ransac 07:46 PM 08-11-2009
You can test the driver. Remove the amp. Take the plus speaker wire and connect it to the plus side of a 9V battery. Then touch and release the minus speaker wire to the minus terminal on the battery. The driver should move. If it doesn't, then you probably have a blown driver. If it does, then it is probably the amp. Best thing to do is borrow a sub from a friend and see if it works in your setup.
localnet's Avatar localnet 07:54 PM 08-11-2009
Did you unplug the sub and plug it back in? Does the sub have an in line fuse, or just a fuse? If it does have a fuse, pull the fuse and put it back, and plug the sub back in.

Mike
Masta's Avatar Masta 01:53 AM 08-12-2009
thanks for the responses guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

You can test the driver. Remove the amp. Take the plus speaker wire and connect it to the plus side of a 9V battery. Then touch and release the minus speaker wire to the minus terminal on the battery. The driver should move. If it doesn't, then you probably have a blown driver. If it does, then it is probably the amp. Best thing to do is borrow a sub from a friend and see if it works in your setup.

I don't think I'll be able to find a 9v battery. Perhaps I can find an adapter that gives 9v or 12v... Is that ok too? The problem will be figuring out what the plus and minus side is... Also on the sub I don't know this... Is the plus the inner pin or the outer ring? None of my friends have a sub btw (at least not the kind you attach to an amp)
Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

Did you unplug the sub and plug it back in? Does the sub have an in line fuse, or just a fuse? If it does have a fuse, pull the fuse and put it back, and plug the sub back in.

Mike

I did try (un)plugging the sub and also tried the power buton. I tried finding the difference between a fuse and a line fuse on wikipedia, but couldn't find it... Do you mean some switch inside the sub that switches it off if it gets overvolted? Would that also turn of the powerlight of the sub (cause that is still on)?
I also recently installed a powerprotecting outlet switch box from apc on all my electronic devices. I suppose that one contains fuses as well (but it's from apc and not some crap brand like trust, so it would supprise me if that causes issues)
Masta's Avatar Masta 01:57 AM 08-14-2009
I'm gonna try to let a friend come over with his multimeter this weekend.

I guess it must be possible to measure the output from the receiver if it is still working...?
Up
Mobile  Desktop