Can I use a Dayton HPSA-1000 amp with my SpeakerCraft BassX-2 in-ceiling subwoofer ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Can I use a Dayton HPSA-1000 subwoofer amp with my SpeakerCraft BassX-2 in-ceiling subwoofer? Here's my situation. I was able to purchase a brand new SpeakerCraft BassX-2 in-ceiling subwoofer (without the BB2502 amp) CHEAP ($99.). So I needed a subwoofer amp to push it. I just purchased the Dayton HPSA 1000-R subwoofer amplifier online and it arrived today (also pretty cheap - $275.). I made a mistake and didn't realize the Dayton was a mono amp. The SpeakerCraft BassX-2 is a dual driver (opposed in the enclosure) that is spec'ed for the SpeakerCraft BB2502 amplifier (also a 1000 watt sub amp, but I cannot find any other specs for that amp or subwoofer and my requests to SpeakerCraft via email have fallen on deaf ears).

The Dayton HPSA 1000-R pushes 512 watts into 8 ohms and 1000 watts into 4 ohms.

The SpeakerCraft BassX-2 subwoofer (in the box, unconnected) is reading 2.7 ohms at the terminal for each of the drivers. When I connect the drivers together to one speaker cable, they still read 2.7 ohms.

Can I connect the leads from the two SpeakerCraft subwoofer drivers together and run them to the single mono output on the Dayton amp or will they detonate/damage each other?

Please help! This was the last piece to the home theater and I am ready to install.

Thanks,

------Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
when you connect them together it should read either roughly 6 ohms or 1.5 ohms depending on how you wired them.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I have been advised that the SpeakerCraft BB2502 amplifier for the BassX-2 subwoofer has 4 outputs (two positive and two negative). The outputs are in parallel. The amplifier is rated at 300 watts/channel at 8 ohms and 500 watts/channel at 4 ohms.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Assuming the 2.7 ohms is remotely close to accurate (and even if not, just to be safe) you'll want to wire them in series, wiring in parallel would present too low impedance for the amp.

For the money you'd have been better off with something like the Behringer EP2500 but oh well, too late now (the Dayton 1000W amp didn't measure too favorably when tested whereas the Behringer did)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page