AIX Records Calibration Disc or Avia Calibration Disc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received an AIX calibration disc with my new Oppo Blu Ray player.

I have since been calibrating for almost a week using it and Avia as well as testing THX test tones on various discs. I should add i believe i have used my SMS-1 to get a fairly flat level give or take a few db between 20hz and 80hz.

I am seeing a difference of around 3db between the AIX calibration disc and the Avia calibration disc on the speaker balance test.

The speaker balance test consists of a tone played on each individual speaker including the subwoofer channel.

On the AIX speaker balance test i am currently recording on my Radio Shack digital sound level meter that the subwoofer channel is 3db higher than the other speakers.

On the Avia speaker balance test i show a perfect identical sound level between all speakers and the subwoofer.

On various THX test tones it says the subwoofer is 3db higher than the other speakers.

So the THX test tones and the AIX speaker balance tones say 3db higher for the subwoofer and the Avia disc says identical sound levels for all.

I guess my question is which is correct.

Could it be both are correct but the tone generated for the speaker balance level is at a frequency which shows identical readings for Avia but the tone generated for the AIX disc may fall under a frequency which has a 3db rise ?

I'm not too worried as within 3db is fine but i wonder which is more accurate or whether none is more accurate due to the test tones being at different frequencies.

Is there a download somewhere where i can test tones at various frequencies between 20hz and 80hz with the main speakers. I was told sine waves are unreliable with sound pressure level meters so cannot use them.

I'm at the point where since i received this Oppo last weekend i can't seem to stop testing and i am always trying to improve things instead of just relaxing and enjoying the system i have. I wish to relax though so i am just wondering if the AIX or Avia disc is more accurate for calibration and speaker level matching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Is there a download somewhere where i can test tones at various frequencies between 20hz and 80hz with the main speakers. I was told sine waves are unreliable with sound pressure level meters so cannot use them.

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm
Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Sine waves are only one specific frequency. Pink noise is what's used to calibrate. Pink noise uses a wide range of frequencies all at once.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I have already calibrated. The question is which disc is more accurate for calibration purposes.

The realtraps site has sine waves and i downloaded them a while back but i have been informed i cannot use them for calibration purposes. When i did use them at 1hz intervals i found i was identical at all frequencies between 20hz and 80hz. That might well be the case or it might not but since i have Avia and an Aix disc with speaker calibrations on them i figure it's better to use them if they are accurate.

Am i exactly level matched or am i running my subwoofer 3db higher than the rest of the speakers ?

As per my first post. So if anyone knows the answer please post.