Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin311 View Post

So I bought this sub and set up my home theater this weekend.

I havent done all the final tweaks because I am still waiting for a few pieces to come in. But, just listening to the TV, audio passing through my Onkyo SR508 on factory settings, I have the V1220 gain set at 7/10 right now.

Based off your post, am I turning up the gain too much? When I 1st turned on the system, I had the gain at 3 and could barely tell if the sub was on or not.

it may take a bit of adjusting to find the sweet spot. and honestly even though mine is set at
the 3.75 I can not hear it at all, that is the direction it (the sound) is coming from.
but it does shake my house, floor and vibrates picture frames when I do crank
the volume up during movies.....still can not hear anything from the sub....
but I know it is putting out!

honestly it took me almost 2 months to get there....being my first sub.

my HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heads up on a good price:
Just bought a BIC V-1220 for $166.94 delivered.

All For Fun | HTPC & Gaming
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post

Ha, ordered mine on monday:
Boaters World
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbatt13 View Post

Ha, ordered mine on monday:
Boaters World

isn't that something both web sites are identical......including contact info!?

my HT
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

isn't that something both web sites are identical......including contact info!?

I bought both of my V1220's from Boaters World. They seem to offer the best deals on this sub.
Biggz
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

being in Ca. I may still have to pay sales tax.
but you are right it is a very good price.
I'd love to have two....just to experience it....

my HT
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Not sure why I just didn't buy 2. 2 is always better than 1, right?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

that depends, if one shakes my house what would two do!?!?!?!?
disassemble it?

my HT
Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:

being in Ca. I may still have to pay sales tax.
but you are right it is a very good price.

I'm in the North SF Bay Area - No Tax was charged on the 1220 I just ordered.

Funny thing is everything is arriving tomorrow, all at once.
Onkyo
Jamo
BIC
12g wire / xtra HMDI's, etc...

It's going to be a Good Friday.

All For Fun | HTPC & Gaming
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

that depends, if one shakes my house what would two do!?!?!?!?
disassemble it?

Probably cause a massive earthquake that would rip California in half!!!!

In the real world though, it'll most likely just smooth out the response in your room and give you additional headroom.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm in the North SF Bay Area - No Tax was charged on the 1220 I just ordered.

Funny thing is everything is arriving tomorrow, all at once.
Onkyo
Jamo
BIC
12g wire / xtra HMDI's, etc...

It's going to be a Good Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy013 View Post

Probably cause a massive earthquake that would rip California in half!!!!

In the real world though, it'll most likely just smooth out the response in your room and give you additional headroom.

thanks JQ, if you read my articles I have mine set for around 3.75 on the sub volume level.

sickboy, so it would smoothen out the disassembly of my house. haahaaha

my HT
Old 04-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:

This sub is very overlooked on the forum. As I posted in my review on Amazon It's a Sleeper. I'm always amazed how some folks will pay more and refuse to pay attention to the specs, thus bypassing it for some of the other subwoofers that Bic makes. It's an excellent sub for the price, that is very hard to compete with as far as performance. When I bought the first one and realized how well it performed without truly breaking it in, I immediately ordered the 2nd one. I paid a little more because there was a price increase but did negotiate with Boaters World and got it at a reduced price from what it was currently selling for. So how do to perform? It's jaw dropping. I have tried many different configurations and I'm currently using them with the side ports facing forward. In your face F12 owners. I will post some pics once I can remember my password at photo bucket. I decided on this sub after purchasing other speakers from the Bic Venturi line. There clean imaging and very wide frequency range convinced me to take a chance. I'm totally happy with this setup and I'm still holding. From time to time I go to my local Best Buy and HH greg to audition the speakers being sold. I always leave with the feeling that I spent my money wisely.
Biggz
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
The 1220 is a good sub for the price, but after ABing both units, I have to tell you that one SVS NSD is worth the cost of two 1220 hands down. I am not a poster boy... The 1200 is very lacking. OK blast me... I will respond though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

The 1220 is a good sub for the price, but after ABing both units, I have to tell you that one SVS NSD is worth the cost of two 1220 hands down. I am not a poster boy... The 1200 is very lacking. OK blast me... I will respond though.

You won't get an arguement from me regarding the SVS NSD. Both the 10" and 12" are higher rated subwoofers. I am interested in reading how you was able to hear and compare 2 V1220's to 1 SVS NSD though. I'm also interested in reading what was the price and which sub your refering too since this wasn't mentioned in your post. The last time I checked, if you were lucky to find one (refering to the 10") it cost on average in the $400 range and the 12 closer to $600. Lastly, please explain your need to post on a thread that the product being discussed is in a differrent class and note that you are not a "Poster Boy".
Biggz
Old 04-23-2011, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Lastly, please explain your need to post on a thread that the product being discussed is in a different class and note that you are not a "Poster Boy".

It was only a attempt of letting users know that there is much better bass to be had albeit cost more. I mentioned SVS because that is the only bass I have minus my DIY units.. although I have had many other subs. I bought the 1220 for a friend that is using a 6" driver, so he will be a happy camper compared to what he has.
I guess my question to you is how can you tout this 1220 as good bass if you have experienced other bass that yes cost more?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

It was only a attempt of letting users know that there is much better bass to be had albeit cost more. I mentioned SVS because that is the only bass I have minus my DIY units.. although I have had many other subs. I bought the 1220 for a friend that is using a 6" driver, so he will be a happy camper compared to what he has.
I guess my question to you is how can you tout this 1220 as good bass if you have experienced other bass that yes cost more?

Sorry, but I'm more confused now then I was on your original post. It's nice to see that you are willing to go out of your way to state the obvious regarding better subwoofers to be had. I think us poor uninformed BIC V1220 users realize that there are better subwoofers on the market. We appreciate you pointing out this fact. What is odd is your implication that 1 SVS NSD (no specific model mind you) would out perform 2 BIC V1220s. I won't dispute this and will rely totally on your obvious expertise in this matter. Yet when your "friend" asked you for help because he was using a 6" driver (is this a sub or in a tower, again vague) you bought him the same sub that you are now bashing despite your vast knowledge. It's apparent to me that you have never made the comparison that you suggested in your original post.

As far as me touting this sub as having good bass, I can do this confidently based on (1) The size of my sound stage (2) The acoustical treatments in that space, and (3) my budget. Please, keep in mind that I own the sub so I know the bass is good. That question suggest that my ears are deceiving me and that unless I'm paying substantially more good subwoofer performance cannot be had. To make this assumption is not helpful on this thread because you have chosen not to take other important variables into account.

If my claim was made on the Hsu thread or Svs thread for that matter, I would be dragged over the hot coals. Since this is the BIC V1220 thread I am with other owners that I have something in common with. I'm home. Sorry Steve, your basically posting in the wrong place.
Biggz
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM

I have a Mirage nanosat system in my bedroom and want to upgrade the sub. Being a bedroom it is not a huge room. I would guess maybe 14'x12'. Use this for mostly movies/TV and it needs to sound good a low volumes (for night viewing). The crossover on the receiver is set to 120 Hz for the small satellite speakers. Would the BIC V1220 be a good sub for this room? Would the BIC F12 or PL-200 be better choices? I was looking to keep the cost down (below $250 if possible)
Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

this sub can be had for less than your $250 and top of page 2 are some of the more current prices, $166.94
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20330011
as for up to frequency 120 Hz.... I can not say. I run my crossover from about 50 Hz and down.
it does work real good for easy listening. TMZ TV show at night I view it sometimes
and there is a tunable kettle drum sound track added, sounds like it is right in front of you.
compared to the other two I felt his one would perform to a lower Hz by it's ratings...23Hz.

it is a large box if you read the first two posts: * Dimensions: 18 1/2"H x 17"W x 14"D

my HT
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa455 View Post

I have a Mirage nanosat system in my bedroom and want to upgrade the sub. Being a bedroom it is not a huge room. I would guess maybe 14'x12'. Use this for mostly movies/TV and it needs to sound good a low volumes (for night viewing). The crossover on the receiver is set to 120 Hz for the small satellite speakers. Would the BIC V1220 be a good sub for this room? Would the BIC F12 or PL-200 be better choices? I was looking to keep the cost down (below $250 if possible)
i also would to know how this sub performs crossed over at a higher frequency using satellite speakers
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

i also would to know how this sub performs crossed over at a higher frequency using satellite speakers

Add me in the mix. I have the Pioneer vsx-821k and the Energy Take Classics and am currently using my old Yamaha 25watt (!) powered sub that's about 17 years old. I'm sure any sub I buy would put it to shame, but would this one be a good bang for my (meager) buck?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 875
The F12 is excellent bang for the buck. Rated high to low: PL200, F12 and V1220. They are all fine budget options.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin311 View Post

So I bought this sub and set up my home theater this weekend.

I havent done all the final tweaks because I am still waiting for a few pieces to come in. But, just listening to the TV, audio passing through my Onkyo SR508 on factory settings, I have the V1220 gain set at 7/10 right now.

Based off your post, am I turning up the gain too much? When I 1st turned on the system, I had the gain at 3 and could barely tell if the sub was on or not.

Old thread, I know, but do you still have yours set this way? I got mine in yesterday and had the same issue. Couldn't tell if it was on at 3, and at 7 I just barely hear it... wondering if it needs to break in
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

if you set it at 3.5 can you adjust what you are driving it with to turn that up so
you can hear/feel it. go to the HT101 page and download the file to test drive the sub.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/824554/setting-up-your-home-theater-101
down the bottom of the first post the one I use is realtraps.
it goes from 10Hz to 300Hz in 1 Hz increments. above 23 Hz find the tone that is
a smooth one. too much gain will distort or if you are driving it with too much power from
your receiver it will sound different distortion. patience will help in the adjusting of it.
I had a TV set that had a output adjustment for a sub woofer. I found the subs gain
setting best at 3.5 to almost 4. if it is in a corner the 3.5 was best. but when I moved it out
to a side wall between 3.75 and almost 4 was best. along the side wall was good but on the edge
for distorting...as I wanted more from it.
the movie inception pushed it to it's limits. but one time while watching I would swear it had
my wood frame floor flexing 1" up and down. moved it a bit and then it would shake the walls.
standing waves it is hard to understand them.
you should not really need a break in time.

my HT
Old 08-31-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all - based on this thread, I scooped up a V1220 even though I understand they have just been discontinued. I hooked it to my old Onkyo TX-SV727, which is a good, powerful old receiver, thought it has no bass management at all beyond a knob for bass and a knob for treble. I fired everything up and couldn't hear anything at all from the sub until I turned it up to 6 or 7; now even at 10 it's not really enough. The sub is right up against a wall, and the floor is wood, so my suspicion is that I may need a receiver that allows me to, as you all said above, set the sub to 3.5ish and manipulate the sub gain through the receiver. Does this sound correct?

I was able to get a bit more bass by using the 3.1/5.1/7.1 setting (which sadly prevents the crossover knob functionality) vs. the Pro Logic or whichever other one there is. Phase didn't seem to make any difference.

I've got two threads in the Receivers subforum about this, and someone kindly suggested I ask you all here.

I'm a professional classical musician so I promise I'm not expecting movie-theater bass here! Just enough to sound good.

Many thanks for all the great help this forum provides!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTastyCat View Post
Hey all - based on this thread, I scooped up a V1220 even though I understand they have just been discontinued. I hooked it to my old Onkyo TX-SV727, which is a good, powerful old receiver, thought it has no bass management at all beyond a knob for bass and a knob for treble. I fired everything up and couldn't hear anything at all from the sub until I turned it up to 6 or 7; now even at 10 it's not really enough. The sub is right up against a wall, and the floor is wood, so my suspicion is that I may need a receiver that allows me to, as you all said above, set the sub to 3.5ish and manipulate the sub gain through the receiver. Does this sound correct?

I was able to get a bit more bass by using the 3.1/5.1/7.1 setting (which sadly prevents the crossover knob functionality) vs. the Pro Logic or whichever other one there is. Phase didn't seem to make any difference.

I've got two threads in the Receivers subforum about this, and someone kindly suggested I ask you all here.

I'm a professional classical musician so I promise I'm not expecting movie-theater bass here! Just enough to sound good.

Many thanks for all the great help this forum provides!
hi the tasty cat, usually 4 is high enough. at least it was with my old set up.
my newer AVR I had to up the sub out to a +10 and that was not enough...
so I then had to up the bass out put/tone control up some more.
the sub is best at minimum 4" from any/all walls. if it is going to be on wood
you should be good there. mine was on carpet so I added a 14"X 17" target cutting board
under it, thought it might help sound deflection.
my old TV had a sub out put. my new sony does not.
the sony AVR does but leaves a lot to be desired. it took two months of playing
with it to get at it's best....so I guess patience and testing.
go to home theater set up 101
and down load the realtraps test tone CD, I had to search it out at their site last time
it is a free download. audio starts at 10 Hz and goes up one Hz every ten seconds.
usually you do hear any audio out until your human ear reaches 23 or 24 Hz. so if it
is buzzing before then it may be over driven (level too high) or bad speaker.
after a few tries you should get a smooth audio level sign wave out. you will tell
once you get it up to 40 or 50 Hz and see what I mean.
just know until Hz gets near 80 all sound will be omni-directional.
that means you should hear the sound through out the room and not from the speaker
box it self (so many others here, disagree with that statement.)
hope that helps you understand subs better.
let me know if you need more help.

my HT
Old 08-31-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Eaamon, I can't thank you enough for this - I now have a project for Labor Day!! Many thanks - downloading now!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTastyCat View Post
Eaamon, I can't thank you enough for this - I now have a project for Labor Day!! Many thanks - downloading now!
one more thing I just had to come to mind. some AVR sets, I read many people set their
speakers to small, I believe it will put out less tones below 100Hz. and let a 1000 watt
sub fill in. this one is not as powerful. speakers set to large allows full spectrum.

most all movies I buy BR are musical types, new and old. the Sony AVR I bought
str-dh 830 is now 'out of date' as 4K TV became available. with it the 7.1 on the disney WOW
BR disc set the 7.1 will make your music fill the room and almost make it all sound like
the music is from all over the room, awesome. it test your speakers to be sure they are all
polarized and working together. I do not know if you have access to one. you might try
one in the future. the 7.1 music on the WOW disc besides fully filling my theater room
will even travel down the hallway leading to it, making it sound omni directional too.

new on here, you might check your area for any local group meetings. then you can go
see what others are using. some one there might have sampling DVD/BR to view and
hear. I brought the test tone CD to one. he just bought a $1000 sub. he put it in his
player and was waiting for the sounds to start. he was astounded when standing next to
the sub. he heard some glass dishes start to rattle 50 feet away in his kitchen/no sound
out of the speaker box at 15 Hz. then some of us standing at the back of his theater room
heard pictures on a wall rattling real bad. he and another went to grab to see what picture
was causing it. the other visitor said dude it is your whole wall vibrating. what a laugh 18Hz
and still we could not hear anything out of the speaker.....

there was a download somewhere on avs that might do dome of the same speaker
testing for free, similar to the WOW help set you up. you might have to search
that one out too. it might be in the test tone of the 101 HT area.

my HT
Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

just finished following your postings. some music is only recorded in two channel.
one a 'super CD' like Gershwin by jon nakamatsu/rochester philharmonic is multi channel.
if it is going to be 2 channel music only. you might need to connect the speaker outs to the
v1220 in and run your sub wiring back to the speakers. if you say you can set the
onkyo up for 2.1 and 3.1 then it should work. not knowing much about you onkyo if you
can input LPCM some times called PCM audio to your AVR and let it decide how to
decode your audio feed. 2.0 will not feed your sub 2.1 will = if you have a sub out on the amp.
I used a ipod when I go out to test for new speakers and brought along a ear bud
adapter to plug into their amp. I set up a collection of my best music in two playlist
or you could do it on you iphone/android too.
if you look at my HT in my signature I have some very old onkyo fusion S-40 speakers.
I replace the tweeters as the fero fluid dried up-age related. the 12" were set up/tuned to
no lower than 30 Hz. replaced those with subs that will go to 20 Hz...flat.
the center and two rear surrounds are the BIC/Formula FH6-LCR left right center they can be
had for near $100 each at amazon. I also did see the V1220 is still listed there too if yours
is new the warranty is listed there 7 years. it may still be in production, just hard to get.
I did recently retire my old sony 4 channel after 20+ years, still puts out very good.
as a old musician from the 60's I have a much better idea of great/quality sound now.
enjoy your labor day....

my HT