BIC America V1220 12" 430 watt sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 09-12-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
there is a lot of talk about several other BIC subs. I thought I would start a single thread for discussion on this one.

I believe the price was just recently lowered at this site with free shipping at this time.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-43.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
$171.27 as of this writing. I own one and after much research on a limited budget I picked this one.
I searched out several audio video mag sites and forums before my decision was made.
it took me three weeks and several adjustments to get it right.
now I hear what I've been missing all these years. nice clean lows with no
distortion that I can hear.
it is running at about 1/3 volume and fills my small room that I have.
this is my first sub. this added to a TV I have that has a subwoofer outlet.
some day I'll have a nice AVR to plug it into, that's next. (saving for that next.)
LL

my HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 09-12-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

follow up with the specs from bic america:
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=44
* Price (MSRP): $449 / Each
* Design: Down-Firing, long-throw 12" subwoofer, & tuned "Venturi" vent.
* Frequency Response: 23-180 Hz variable (adjustable crossover)
* Sensitivity: 90 dB
* Drivers: 12" Woofer
* Magnetic Shielding: NO
* Gold-Plated Terminals:YES
* Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power - 200 Watts (430 peak)
* Impedance: 8 Ohms
* Dimensions: 18 1/2"H x 17"W x 14"D
* Weight: 41 Lbs. Each
* Warranty: 7 Year Parts & Labor on Driver, 2 Years on Amp & Associated Electronics.

spec from bic america site is underlined.

I have not been able to find a site I researched, I think it was a A/V mag site though.
a guru on that site said he had the equipment to measure a flat bass response down to 18 hz........
below the 23 hz. BIC claimed. until I find the site again I guess it is useless info.

my HT
post #3 of 53 Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does this sub compare to BIC's own F12 head to head? The price of F12 just keeps climbing up on amazon.
post #4 of 53 Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM

I have one with my system. I love it plus got it used locally for 75 bux and basically brand new. I think I'll get a 2nd when i find another used as well. I think that would be enough bass for me and I also used my surround set for ht and not much music. I also would like to know if the f12 is way better than the v1220. how much better can it be? they seem almost similar. anyone have both who can chime in? later
post #5 of 53 Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

from what I could see there would be almost no difference because of the wattage and the speakers are probably the same
specs so close you would not notice.
I went with the downward facing one due to a smaller listening room. If I had a larger room I might want the forward facing speaker
hitting me head on. my small room is 13'X16' and average ceiling height.
I do not know about mixing two different speakers. I would think it might become a bit unbalanced.
maybe some one has tried this.

my HT
post #6 of 53 Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM

The reason I like the downfiring subs is that I have a 4yr old boy, 2yr old boy, and in another month, another boy. Not to mention we also have a cat who doesn't destroy things anyways but still wouldn't want to take a chance. I have medium size living room which opens up to the kitchen. I am content with the 1 sub but I think adding a 2nd v1220 would just be perfect for me. Just gonna wait til i find a used one locally for cheap. So what do you think. Also do you think stacking them would sound better than 1 up front and 1 rear/side of sitting area. I've heard good things about stacking them if that would be ok with these downfiring subs. Do you have 2 subs? and how did you place them? Later
post #7 of 53 Old 09-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:

I have a 4yr old boy, 2yr old boy, and in another month, another boy.

Lot's of curious little hands. You might want to find a way to attach some plastic mesh (1/2" grid) to the inside end of the port to keep the toys inside the port tube and from falling onto the driver!
post #8 of 53 Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

good point on the plastic mesh....a kids toy hiding place.
I have no young kids.
I do have it set cross ways or kitty corner in a corner.
it was recommended in the bic instructions for the best sound.
I have it on carpet and placed a cutting board from target under it....the same size as the box.
I placed some pictures of in another posting...the cutting board that is.

my HT
post #9 of 53 Old 09-21-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I found through avs forum this link for a free download test tones for sub.
http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm
posted in: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=780011
I sat there testing the 10 to 20hz lows and asking myself where does my hearing hear sound?
just how low is my ear able to pick it up?
but what I can say is I did detect it at 22hz as well as feel it. and it was real strong at 23 hz.
note it plays 1 hz tones for 10 seconds and then moves up 1 hz, starting at 10 hz....
note I could notice something below 22 hz but 10 seconds each I can not say. hearing or feeling!?!?

also: below 22 it made some kind of noise when I cranked the audio level way up
but I think it was just harmonics and distortion.
just food for thought......

my HT
post #10 of 53 Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 PM

How is this sub with music?

Our main theater area gets 50/50 music/movies use, so I need something nice and tight.

\m/
post #11 of 53 Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 PM

I just bought one of these on Amazon this past weekend. Can't wait for it to arrive. I have another sub. A Yamaha 8" with a port. In the Yamaha, I stuffed a rolled up cloth into the port, real tight. And stuffed the cabinet with insulation. Then I set it at around 80 hz in anticipation of the BIC 12 inch. I'll set that at 40 and turn it up loud. The 12 inch will go into a corner (no doors on that end of the room) and the 8" is under a table with legs under the TV. I have super awesome 5" front speaks. That's why I have these settings. What do you think of this set-up?
post #12 of 53 Old 11-24-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishmanism View Post

I just bought one of these on Amazon this past weekend. Can't wait for it to arrive. I have another sub. A Yamaha 8" with a port. In the Yamaha, I stuffed a rolled up cloth into the port, real tight. And stuffed the cabinet with insulation. Then I set it at around 80 hz in anticipation of the BIC 12 inch. I'll set that at 40 and turn it up loud. The 12 inch will go into a corner (no doors on that end of the room) and the 8" is under a table with legs under the TV. I have super awesome 5" front speaks. That's why I have these settings. What do you think of this set-up?

I'm not sure you want to turn it up. I run mine at about 30% volume. and it is plenty to feel.
watched the new transformers movie with my daughter. during one of the eplosions she complained
dad, that shook the house. I said it shook the couch and she said,
"no, I mean, it shook the house!"
not bad in my opinion........

my HT
post #13 of 53 Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM

Yep eaaman. I don't have it as loud as I thought I would.
Never had a sub set as low as that. And I can say that I've never had a system of my own sound this good!
post #14 of 53 Old 01-06-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishmanism View Post

Yep eaaman. I don't have it as loud as I thought I would.
Never had a sub set as low as that. And I can say that I've never had a system of my own sound this good!

funny it has been over a year and as I look back you say your system never sounded so good. I have done nothing but enjoy mine.
just to update, I see the price is at $157 on amazon now. mine still works.
I did have to move it from it's corner location. it is parallel to a wall now and after being off a bit while my house was up forsale it is back on.
I did have the volume up a bit my guess from the move and I have it set at 5 1/4.
but I do need to get my audio test disc from the storage location most of my junk went to temporarily, to reset the best level.
I watched Inception and it uses a lot of sub tones in it. I think I am just a bit high with the volume at 5 1/4.
loved the movie and will watch it again.

my HT
post #15 of 53 Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

a picture of it on the cutting board from target.
LL

my HT
post #16 of 53 Old 02-17-2011, 05:06 AM

I was wondering how many BIC v1220 owners have tried this awesome configuration. I have 2 and find the performance of 2 jaw dropping. Actually scary at times. Your opinions please.
Biggz
post #17 of 53 Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrett View Post

I was wondering how many BIC v1220 owners have tried this awesome configuration. I have 2 and find the performance of 2 jaw dropping. Actually scary at times. Your opinions please.
Biggz

funny as I read about the $1000 shoot out and think about the BIC V-1220 and what it does.
I am in a wood frame house and during the viewing of Inception I was sure my whole floor in the
middle of the room was flexing up and down 1" during one of the scenes. I can only imagine what two would do.
I can understand scary......
it only gets better as time goes by. I am thinking of getting the RS sound meter
and testing to see just how low in freq it does put out,but I am not in a rush to do that.
I did watch transformers II yesterday for fun and the low rumble goes on through out most of the movie
and when standing the floor was shaking from it.....standing on carpet, I could feel it.

my HT
post #18 of 53 Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Liked: 13
I am new to subs and am hoping someone with more knowledge can help me answer a placement question based on my room setup as I will be getting by Bic V1220 on Thursday.

I set up an area in my basement to be my modest man cave. It isn't a very wide area and measures about 115" from wall to wall. I have a projector setup and my screen is a 96" diag so it extends out about 103". This leaves just enough room for my front L & R speakers to sit on each side of the projector screen when pulled down.

As a result I can't put the sub outside of either front speaker, and since I have a short basement ceiling (old house, only 7' high), having the sub sit on the inside won't work as it would block the screen when pulled down, especially since I am going to prop it up a tiny bit off of the floor.

Knowing all of this, any advice on placement?

Should I set it up in front of one of the front speakers, close to the wall on either the left or right side facing the seating area?

Should I set it up against the wall in the middle of the area between screen and seating area,with it facing out towards the other wall?

Should I set it up next to my seating area as a sort of an end table? I have seen others on the forum describing that setup, not sure if that means having it face the front viewing area or face behind the seating area?

Hopefully this explanation makes sense, appreciate any help I could get. I have read some placement diagrams, but none of them relate to the space I have so not sure how to compare it to my setup.
post #19 of 53 Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

kitty corner is the best. but not against a wall, it should be over 4" from a wall.
as a end table setup would work, since it is down ward facing speaker it should
not matter what way it faces. that because the low frequencies it puts out should be
omnidirectional....meaning you will hear the sound every where and not from the speaker.
I see you are limited in the space of the room.

it may take a few weeks to figure out how to set it up and break in period....the more it is used the
better it works.
the sound file from real traps and burn a cd to put in a dvd player and adjust it so the
audio coming out is clean....smooth. once it gets to a level near your hearing range.
the cd starts out at 10 Hz. and your hearing probably will not hear it until the 23 Hz range....let it go up a few
more Hz. and set it then. mine has the volume level near 3.75 of 10.

hope that helps......let us know in a few weeks......

my HT
post #20 of 53 Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post

Knowing all of this, any advice on placement?

Should I set it up in front of one of the front speakers, close to the wall on either the left or right side facing the seating area?

Should I set it up against the wall in the middle of the area between screen and seating area,with it facing out towards the other wall?

Should I set it up next to my seating area as a sort of an end table? I have seen others on the forum describing that setup, not sure if that means having it face the front viewing area or face behind the seating area?

Give your front speakers some free space, so... I would say no to your first option.

It could go against your side wall, downfiring sub will face the ground. The amp will face the wall I suppose so the port(the round black opening you can see in the photo) will face to the front or back of the room depending on which side.

Your third option sounds like near field placement, you could try that one. The port here would also face back or front, just don't face it to a wall or anything.

Maybe a corner in the back could also be a possibility? In any case, try your options 2 and 3 while sitting on your main listening position and choose whichever you like the most.

Have fun!

Krakhen

post #21 of 53 Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Liked: 13
Thank you guys very much for the detailed replies! I will test these options out and see what works best after giving it a couple of weeks. :-)
post #22 of 53 Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

though it was not mentioned and I have not tried it you could set it in the middle of the room.
but I think some times there is a reflection when nearer a wall.
you could always test it and see.

my HT
post #23 of 53 Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

just a thought. I watch TMZ many times a week. during the show they have some background kettle drums.
you never hear it with a regular set of speakers or it is very weak.
how ever the bic reproduces it with great tonal qualities.
it sounds like a tunable kettle drum. but it maybe a synthesizer produced.

my HT
post #24 of 53 Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

though it was not mentioned and I have not tried it you could set it in the middle of the room.
but I think some times there is a reflection when nearer a wall.
you could always test it and see.

The middle of the room is one of the worst places to put a sub.

post #25 of 53 Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy013 View Post

The middle of the room is one of the worst places to put a sub.

I was reading another forum quote somewhere, a guy had built two into what now looks like a coffee table. he did this because of room size restrictions and appearance he had.

my HT
post #26 of 53 Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I see at amazon the price of this sub has gone to $195.14 and it is higher than the f-12 at $188.
I wonder if it due to popularity of it. now it makes the f-12 almost more attractive.

but I for one would still hold out for the low of 23 Hz the v1220 goes to....the extra Hz is worth it.

my HT
post #27 of 53 Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the V1220 and think it is a great sub. I just upgraded to the BIC PL-200. There is a noticable difference between the two. I'm not saying anything bad about the V1220 but the PL-200 just sounds better.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #28 of 53 Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM

I got a V1220 about 3 weeks ago (from Amazon before the price increase!). In the price range, I was really only choosing between the V1220 and the F12. I ended up choosing the V1220 simply from personal preferences. The reviews for both are mostly positive, they seem to have similar abilities, and they are both under $200. The V1220 looks a little nicer to me and that does make a difference in the environment where I have installed it. The front firing F12 was not appealing asthetically. I use it for movies and some music. The popular opinion seemed to be that the V1220 was better musically, but I cannot compare the two since I have no F12.

That said, I have done some testing to show the family that we really did need a subwoofer! I've played some movie scenes without the sub and then with it and everyone agrees the sub makes a huge difference. A bigger sub would no doubt sound better, but the price would also be much higher. For the money I think the V1220 is at a great price/performance level.
post #29 of 53 Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

kitty corner is the best. but not against a wall, it should be over 4" from a wall.
as a end table setup would work, since it is down ward facing speaker it should
not matter what way it faces. that because the low frequencies it puts out should be
omnidirectional....meaning you will hear the sound every where and not from the speaker.
I see you are limited in the space of the room.

it may take a few weeks to figure out how to set it up and break in period....the more it is used the
better it works.
the sound file from real traps and burn a cd to put in a dvd player and adjust it so the
audio coming out is clean....smooth. once it gets to a level near your hearing range.
the cd starts out at 10 Hz. and your hearing probably will not hear it until the 23 Hz range....let it go up a few
more Hz. and set it then. mine has the volume level near 3.75 of 10.

hope that helps......let us know in a few weeks......

So I bought this sub and set up my home theater this weekend.

I havent done all the final tweaks because I am still waiting for a few pieces to come in. But, just listening to the TV, audio passing through my Onkyo SR508 on factory settings, I have the V1220 gain set at 7/10 right now.

Based off your post, am I turning up the gain too much? When I 1st turned on the system, I had the gain at 3 and could barely tell if the sub was on or not.
post #30 of 53 Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin311 View Post

So I bought this sub and set up my home theater this weekend.

I havent done all the final tweaks because I am still waiting for a few pieces to come in. But, just listening to the TV, audio passing through my Onkyo SR508 on factory settings, I have the V1220 gain set at 7/10 right now.

Based off your post, am I turning up the gain too much? When I 1st turned on the system, I had the gain at 3 and could barely tell if the sub was on or not.

In my opinion you have the gain too high. You should have it set at about half and make the rest of the adjustments on the sub trim through your Onkyo receiver.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page