post #181 of 191 Old 06-25-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

I've been working on these quite a bit over the past few months and things are looking very promising after having to source and modify a new 18" PR. Other than the few orders from the past, I am not taking any orders on these until we've delivered the first few. Exact time line for open availability is still yet to be pinned down as I'm still sorting some details with production parts.

Thank you for the update. I hope it works out well for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 191 Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Over a year since the last post. What happened?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #183 of 191 Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Over a year since the last post. What happened?

As I've posted previously, as large, heavy and expensive as this product is, I'm not releasing it until I'm satisfied with the performance and confident we are able to readily supply them to all those interested. A recent custom project I completed for Keith Yates served as a test bed for some details of what will go into the production Terraform XL. While I am confident we have the driver and PR worked out, I'm still making some further internal customizations to the driver. The final product will be over 300 lbs with 6,000W of power and cost more than 2 SubMersive HP's. In my mind, something that requires that much effort just to get into a room better be worth the effort!

Here is a pic of me in front of the custom Devastator sub after it was hoisted in place:

The front PR & woofer are mounted separately from the rear ported enclosure to allow safe assembly of such massive parts. These were secured with 10" long, 1/2" diameter threaded machine screws:

Here's a pic to give some scale of each module with the woofer which gets loaded on the backside:

The production Terraform XL will be similarly modularized, but will be assembled a little differently for a little sleeker look, although still somewhat industrial.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #184 of 191 Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yeesh, if the price nears $6000 for just one of these, I'd just use that money to get 2 Orbit Shifters. 6 grand is a lot of dough for just 1 sub.
post #185 of 191 Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post

Yeesh, if the price nears $6000 for just one of these, I'd just use that money to get 2 Orbit Shifters. 6 grand is a lot of dough for just 1 sub.

Hi Jindrak,

I think you read a bit too quickly there. I mentioned 6,000 Watts (6kW), not $6,000. A special finish on such a monster might approach that price, and freight won't be cheap, just as it isn't on 2 Orbit Shifters, but they are also very different designs, and a Terraform XL will still have more capability below say 16Hz where an Orbit Shifter functions mostly as a sealed 18" woofer. I have other designs in the pipe and discussed on my forum which will be easier to see the value in, while the Terraform design will be quite unique.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #186 of 191 Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm guesstimating in the ULF range (10-20hz) this subwoofer will have more output (outdoors) than at least 2 submersives (or comparable subs), and probably closer to the output of 4 or more around tuning?

If I understand correctly, this design is for those who are looking for the most output in that region (10-20hz) while not sacrificing output or quality above that.

Also I don't think it's fair or to compare the terraform xl to the orbit shifter simply because they're both the biggest subs both companies offer. They have been designed with totally different goals in mind, so comparing the two makes no sense.

I think this would be a great home theater sub for people with rooms that don't have a lot of gain in the low bass, and are still looking for output in that range..
post #187 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM

Mark

Could you share a word or two on how you balance out port velocity against port resonance which seems to be a troublepoint for very low tuned subwoofers?

Best wishes
post #188 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVG View Post

Mark

Could you share a word or two on how you balance out port velocity against port resonance which seems to be a troublepoint for very low tuned subwoofers?

Best wishes

Hi Tim, I just posted a few quick comments in your DIY forum thread regarding this. In short it requires some modeling and testing of real builds to insure there are no surprising. The PR/Driver drive section of theTerraform XL also change the interactions at higher frequencies vs. a conventional, large ported box. Fortunately acoustic matters scale very nicely, so much can be tested and learned without the first build having to be the size of a large household appliance.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #189 of 191 Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Hi Tim, I just posted a few quick comments in your DIY forum thread regarding this. In short it requires some modeling and testing of real builds to insure there are no surprising. The PR/Driver drive section of theTerraform XL also change the interactions at higher frequencies vs. a conventional, large ported box. Fortunately acoustic matters scale very nicely, so much can be tested and learned without the first build having to be the size of a large household appliance.

Much appreciated! I can see how the Terraform concept isn't simply popping some drivers in a box and seeing great results, it looks like quite the piece of engineering. smile.gif
post #190 of 191 Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Much appreciated! I can see how the Terraform concept isn't simply popping some drivers in a box and seeing great results, it looks like quite the piece of engineering. smile.gif

Does anyone actually have one of these monsters in there home yet?

post #191 of 191 Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Quote:

Does anyone actually have one of these monsters in there home yet?

Itai, aka cubesys here, has a pair of prototype Terraforms (single driver per box, not dual). Interestingly since that time Itai turned his hobby interest into a business with a friend and co-founded iRule which turns phones and tablets into wifi based remote controls.

As is noted on our forum, these were shelved as I wasn't satisfied with the performance of a few key parts and others became unavailable. It is a design we will likely offer once I am confident in the required parts and respective suppliers. The closest to a delivered Terraform XL was this custom beast I did which is related to stacked Terraform XL's in a single enclosure:

I posted a bit of info and more pictures on that effort here.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page