AV123 MFW-15 best Subwoofer under $600? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 111 Old 09-17-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering purchasing a MFW-15 Subwoofer sold by AV123 because, as far as I know, this is still one of the best bang for your buck subs available. I am looking for a sub that delivers strong low frequency output (preferably below 20 Hz) and that is tight and responsive without being slow, sloppy and overly boomy. If there is a better alternative out there please let me know.

My question is, despite AV123's bad press recently, are they still standing by their products if there is a problem with it? Are they still making a quality product? My dollars are important to me in this economy so your input is really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM

First off the price is back to $699 (and $130 shipping) so you can't get it for under 600. Might get b-stock for a little cheaper.

There is plenty of reading material on the MFW-15 on this forum alone. I bought mine in May and love it, but only time will tell on the new amps.

I also looked at SVS & Epik (looking at more $$ to get the same level of performance), but got the MFW-15 during the sale because I couldn't pass up the deal.

Good luck with your future sub purchase.
post #3 of 111 Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks StimpsonJCat for the reply. I will look at the manufacturers that you suggested.

Per lalakersfan34 excellent post figured I would add more details to describe my situation.

Price: Rather only spend $500 but am willing to go as high as around $700.

Room dimensions: Don't really know. Main listening room is probably around 4000 cu ft but is connected to dining room (1400 cu ft), kitchen/family room (2000 cu ft) and hallway (600 cu ft) for total of around 8000 cu ft.

Sub size requirements: NA

Time frame: a month or two.

Listening: 60:40; Ht:music. I like my movies louder than my music usually but not earsplitting. I like a lot of deep tight base. Overly muddy and boomy base is of course less desirable.

Funny thing is I currently have a Boston acoustics PV 500 which is not regarded as the best or most volumus sub but the overall volume if I turn it up is reasonable even if it does sound like a one note.

Thanks for your time.

Garth
post #4 of 111 Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 AM

I love my MFW - got one of the first runs before the amps were built incorrectly.

With Epik's recent sale, I'd put the Vaquish and Conquest on the list.

In the $500 to $700 range - at least for ID subs recommended here - I think "boomy" and "tight" are going to be EQ and room accoustics issues, not sub issues. Generally, they are all very capable of flat response curves.
post #5 of 111 Old 09-18-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I think Noubourne means the Sentinel, not Conquest.

Garth,

You have a very large space to fill, and it will be difficult for one <$700 subwoofer to do it justice. Fortunately you seem to find your BA PV500 to be adequate in terms of output, so you don't listen at super loud levels. Still, I have a feeling once you hear great bass you'll want more .

As was previously mentioned, the MFW-15 is back up to $699 + shipping. That puts you closer to $850, well out of your price range. However, it would probably do a better job filling your large space than just about any other sub at that price. Hopefully some other MFW-15 owners will stop in, but my impression is that AV123 is finally getting the subwoofer situation under control. I still don't know that I'd buy a MFW-15 right now, but I certainly wouldn't have just a couple of months ago. Another thing to consider is that AV123 has sales every 3 days or so (a slight exaggeration). If you're serious about the MFW-15, just wait until another sale pops up. It won't take that long.

At its current sale price of $649, the Sentinel is a good choice, though it'll still be a bit over your budget. I just checked and shipping to CA is about $85. I don't know where you live and shipping might be a bit cheaper, but you're still looking at a bit over $700. The Sentinel is a "safer" choice - no big amp fiascoes, etc - and is still a great performer, but your room is too much for a single Sentinel to handle (or the MFW-15 to handle, for that matter) if you plan to listen loud.

You might also want to look into the eD A5-350. It has a big enclosure with a 15" driver and costs $800 shipped. The A5-350 likely has similar output capabilities to the MFW-15 and has a fairly consistent price (though it does go on sale from time to time). Support is also great at eD so that's something you might want to consider.

My recommendation would be to get one of these three subs. They're all great performers and should be a big upgrade over what you have now. Try one out and see how it handles the room. If you feel you need more output, get a second sub later. Your room really begs for at least two of these subs IMO, but given your budget constraints, I'd try one out and add a second in the future if you need it.
post #6 of 111 Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
i would try to get the A5-350 or 2 A2-300s for eD i love the sub i got from there and their customer service is great!
post #7 of 111 Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 PM

I have a mfw 15 and am pleased with it. It puts out alot of sound.

Another thing to consider is that ed has a350 bstock on sale.
post #8 of 111 Old 09-19-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are great. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.

Something occured to me. In general, as you increase speaker (woofer) size, you slow down response time. Therefore, do you sacrafice musicality and accuracy with increased size such as a 15 in vs a 10 in woofer?
post #9 of 111 Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkinberg View Post

You guys are great. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.

Something occured to me. In general, as you increase speaker (woofer) size, you slow down response time. Therefore, do you sacrafice musicality and accuracy with increased size such as a 15 in vs a 10 in woofer?

That has been covered and debunked time and time again. You can get lots of information on the topic from the designer of the MFW and several other well respected people in the business at the link below.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...st+slow+driver
post #10 of 111 Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne View Post

I love my MFW - got one of the first runs before the amps were built incorrectly.

With Epik's recent sale, I'd put the Vaquish and Conquest on the list.

In the $500 to $700 range - at least for ID subs recommended here - I think "boomy" and "tight" are going to be EQ and room accoustics issues, not sub issues. Generally, they are all very capable of flat response curves.

I think you mean Vanquish and Sentinel. The Conquest is no longer.
post #11 of 111 Old 09-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
pb12 nsd will get you close to the MFW without the drama

at b stock or sale prices, a functional MFW is top of the food chain, no doubt
if that company gets through their rough spell, they can thank Mark Seaton
post #12 of 111 Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

pb12 nsd will get you close to the MFW without the drama

at b stock or sale prices, a functional MFW is top of the food chain, no doubt
if that company gets through their rough spell, they can thank Mark Seaton

I'm sorry but I don't understand. What does Mark Seaton have to do with AV123; how did he help them?

I'm a newbie

Thanks, Garth
post #13 of 111 Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand. What does Mark Seaton have to do with AV123; how did he help them?

I'm a newbie

Thanks, Garth

He designed the MFW-15 for AV123. Though thus far it's difficult to say if that's been a "help" to them considering all of the amp issues (not his fault, but I'd doubt the MFW-15 has been very profitable up til now).
post #14 of 111 Old 09-24-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

Lakersfan - I'd appreciate it if you had any advice on my other post regarding my choice between an Earthquake Supernove and MFW-15.

Thanks again,

Garth
post #15 of 111 Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Does anybody have a picture of the ROSEWOOD MFW15?
post #16 of 111 Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 AM

I "borrowed" this picture from AV123 forum. MFW-15 in rosewood.

post #17 of 111 Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

I "borrowed" this picture from AV123 forum. MFW-15 in rosewood.

Wow, 3 of those puppies!...Now its decision time, I'm with the OP on indecision, its between this and the VTF3 MK3 (rosenut to match my MA RS8s or MFW15 to match), I'm just still concerned over the amp issues which from what i've been hearing has been rectified, but for how long who knows.
post #18 of 111 Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digity8 View Post

Wow, 3 of those puppies!...Now its decision time, I'm with the OP on indecision, its between this and the VTF3 MK3 (rosenut to match my MA RS8s or MFW15 to match), I'm just still concerned over the amp issues which from what i've been hearing has been rectified, but for how long who knows.

I have heard both of these subs. My brother in law has the VTF3 MK3 and I ended up with a single MFW-15 and later duals. While both subs are excellent, I would give the nod to the MFW. It has more impact, more dynamics, and it is very tight for music. And it will knock your socks off for HT.
post #19 of 111 Old 09-25-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an MFW-15 with one of the original amps and thankfully have had no problems with it. I can't say a single bad thing about. It's absolutely incredible IMO. I also have a large space to fill, though not as large as the OP. I'm at a little over 3000 cubic feet in my living room, but that's completely open to my kitchen which more than doubles the space. I've had to track down and deal with quite a few rattles througout the living room and kitchen, and still occasionally hear something rattling inside closed kitchen cabinets, or wine glasses dinging together hanging from a rack about 30' away from the sub. I should point out that my use is almost exclusively for HT.

Steve

post #20 of 111 Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM

I picked up 5 of these when they were on sale last month. I have 2 in one system and 3 in the other. Compared to my SVS PB12 Ultra, one MFW performs better. When you add multiples, that's when the fun begins... :-)
post #21 of 111 Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I ordered my satin black MFW-15 while it was on sale should of ordered 2, oh well. Eta sometime in Oct, man this waiting sucks!
post #22 of 111 Old 09-25-2009, 01:02 PM

They're shipping with the new amps and they added another year to their warranty. Even with their bad press a few months ago, people have still been purchasing this sub. I had the same dilema a year ago with the vtf3 and the mfw and got the mfw. I'm very happy and would not even think twice. I had the chance to even pick up the vtf at HSU to avoid the shipping charge but I still went for the mfw and paid the outrageous shipping and it was well worth it. I'd get a second one if I had the money. Also look for their b-stock. They are very good at replacing those old amps so I really don't need to worry much. I know it's a hassle but you will be happy in the long run.
post #23 of 111 Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am considering purchasing a MFW-15 Subwoofer sold by AV123 because, as far as I know, this is still one of the best bang for your buck subs available. I am looking for a sub that delivers strong low frequency output (preferably below 20 Hz) and that is tight and responsive without being slow, sloppy and overly boomy. If there is a better alternative out there please let me know.

My question is, despite AV123's bad press recently, are they still standing by their products if there is a problem with it? Are they still making a quality product? My dollars are important to me in this economy so your input is really appreciated.

I have two MFW's that have the new amp's and they friggin rock the house, I also have a Franken-MFW that uses an original amp, control panel and driver in a cheap sealed enclosure and it rocks the hell out of my basement 2.1 system.

I think you'd be happy with the MFW, big time.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #24 of 111 Old 09-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

I have heard both of these subs. My brother in law has the VTF3 MK3 and I ended up with a single MFW-15 and later duals. While both subs are excellent, I would give the nod to the MFW. It has more impact, more dynamics, and it is very tight for music. And it will knock your socks off for HT.

interesting... I have a VTF3MK3 (with turbo) and 2 MFW15s. I would have to give the nod to the VTF for a single sub. I think the MFWs can be very good value, and a decent performer (hum, amp issues aside) but the HSU VT is a better overall performer in my opinion.
Joe H
post #25 of 111 Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman222 View Post

interesting... I have a VTF3MK3 (with turbo) and 2 MFW15s. I would have to give the nod to the VTF for a single sub. I think the MFWs can be very good value, and a decent performer (hum, amp issues aside) but the HSU VT is a better overall performer in my opinion.
Joe H

Can you get into a little bit more detail on why you prefer the MK3 over the MFW? What size room are you using the two in? I am assuming you have 2 MFW-15s because they were cheaper then 2 MK3s?
post #26 of 111 Old 09-27-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
i had the VTF3 MKII w/ turbo, and although it was a very good sub (very good mid bass punch) it lacked the deepness that the mfw-15 can achieve. the mfw is DEFINITELY a better sub all around
post #27 of 111 Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 PM

Pure-evil: you'd mentioned that the mfw15s bottom easily. I have not heard much about this and I'm about to pick up a pair. Can you define easily? Is it a problem or does it occur only when you want to shake the foundations of your home? Thx.
post #28 of 111 Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaomember View Post

Pure-evil: you'd mentioned that the mfw15s bottom easily. I have not heard much about this and I'm about to pick up a pair. Can you define easily? Is it a problem or does it occur only when you want to shake the foundations of your home? Thx.

well. i'm a bit of a bass freak....so maybe "easily" is not the correct term, however, i would definitely like to be able to push them more than i can...but...i have a HUGE room, with very high ceilings....16ft...so it might be my room that is truly the problem. i love my mfw15's, so don't get me wrong, i just always want more
post #29 of 111 Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

ps.....

it's a sickness
post #30 of 111 Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaomember View Post

I have two MFWs in a room (about 18X21) that opens up to the front door. I have bottomed out the subs yet. I have played test tones anywhere from 10HZ to 60HZ and the subs handled them very well. I honestly had to turn them down to be able to keep the front door and pictures from vibrating uncontrollably. I could even see my rear projection TV screen flexing. Just to give you an idea of how much a bass freak pure-evil is!!!!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page