post #61 of 66 Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood View Post

Earthquake Quake 10.0. Excellent ahaker. Speed starts to approach the Crowson. EXTREMELY powerful and has the best ultra deep response. God's own platform shaker. Requires BIG horsepower. Cost effective. Runs more per shaker, but you need less of them since one is the equivalent of about 3 Buttkickers. Good for large platforms, multiple seats. What I currently sell to clients. I use two on each of my platforms that are 23' wide.

How many seats are on your 23' wide platform? Two Q10B tactile transducers drives a platform that wide?

I while back I set up 4 units on my 8' platform and did not have much luck. I drove them with my Crown K2 amplifiers that I use on my original ButtKickers. Then I tried the Earthquake amp as well.

I was told it was my platform design.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Liked: 10
My home theatre is also in the basement and I have never had it in an upstairs room, so I really do not have a frame of reference for comparisons. I have always felt that my system did indeed lack some of the "slam" of demos I have heard, but it does sound smoother and way less "boomy" than other systems I have listened to. The room is about 11 x 21 or so with stud walls over concrete blocks on two sides (with a corner rock fireplace on these walls in the back) and two frame walls with one door and no windows. The sound system basswise consiste of Mirage OM-6 full range (2 x 8 inch woofers each) for L and R, a Mirage BPS-150 (2 x 8 inch woofers) on the centre channel, two Acoustic Research AR-9 for the surrounds (2 x 12 inch woofers each) and a Mirage BPS-400 (2 x12 woofers) as a dedicated LFE woofer. Obviously all speakers are run full range at about a reference level of 82dB. There might not be much slam, but when the bass is deep or in all channels, you can feel it pressurize the room. I have found that the concrete surroundings are definately not the best for "slam" or general "impact" but in my case , I think reasonably accurate and mighty impressive when the source material is good. For example, in the Black Hawk Down scene where the helicopters are taking off and there is very low Hz bass, I was expecting it to be a bit more impressive, but I do feel the pulses (through the air?), the room feels pressurized and you feel the low bass, but there is no "boom" or artificial boost to the bass. Just my humble observations of my room and system, so the basement approach may have it's own benefits...

Cheers,
P.E.Hannon
post #63 of 66 Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM

John,
Can you provide a sketch or picture of the structure of your platform. This is exactly what I'm planning to build. I spoke to the head engineer at Earthquake and he provided some guidance. He said that the Earthquake units are either horizontal or vertical motion models. Did you get the vertical motion models? The horizontal ones wouldn't be near as effective in the setup you have pictured. Also, the buttkickers aren't going to help much. You need up and down motion with a platform that narrow. Horizontal motion is going to be mostly wasted. Also, can you show what kind of feet the platform is on? Thanks

Edit: You also need to move the transducers to 1/3 from the back of the platform. Connecting to the far back like that is wasting a lot of energy on the structure's frame.
post #64 of 66 Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase View Post

John,
Can you provide a sketch or picture of the structure of your platform. This is exactly what I'm planning to build. I spoke to the head engineer at Earthquake and he provided some guidance. He said that the Earthquake units are either horizontal or vertical motion models. Did you get the vertical motion models? The horizontal ones wouldn't be near as effective in the setup you have pictured. Also, the buttkickers aren't going to help much. You need up and down motion with a platform that narrow. Horizontal motion is going to be mostly wasted. Also, can you show what kind of feet the platform is on? Thanks

Edit: You also need to move the transducers to 1/3 from the back of the platform. Connecting to the far back like that is wasting a lot of energy on the structure's frame.

My platform is constructed of a 38" x 8' x 3/4" piece of plywood with a 2 by 4 running down the front and back edge. The isolation feet are Kinetics Noise Control RDB-120

Due to the size of the "original" ButtKicker it will not allow me to mount it under my recliners. That would be required to mount 1/3 from the back edge. My installation provides far more than enough tactile sensation. I use a pair of Crown K2 amplifiers to drive them and a programmable channel in a Parasound C2 controller on the signal. I have them low passed at 20 Hz.

I tested all four of them simultaneously with sine waves from 20 Hz down to 5Hz in 1 Hz increments. They had very authoritative output (blurred vision) through 7 Hz and started to drop off at 6 Hz although still very usable. Far more output than I would ever use.
I would need to increase the gain even further before reaching their limits.

The Q10B can be mounted either horizontal or vertical. At the time of purchase there was only one type. I purchased mine directly from Earthquake Sound and spoke with them lenghtly during installation. They concluded that my platform was to thin and I was loosing energy due to flex and needed to increase the top thickness to 1 - 1/4" total.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 66 Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM

So the Earthquakes didn't provide the shake for you that the buttkickers did?
Hmmm, I wonder why the platform being thin would cause you to lose energy. It seems that it would be more responsive to the shakers if it was thin.

If I were to build a platform that is similar to yours, but is 11' wide and has a thicker platform, what would you suggest for shaking?
post #66 of 66 Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Great thread! Very informative indeed. I hadn't really considered much of what is being discussed here, until I stumbled upon this thread. But, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm quite certain that my theater is lacking in the tactile response category due to my theater's concrete floor.

Thanks to this thread, I now have a Buttkicker Advance HT kit on the way. Can't wait to try it out!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page